Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Do the Welsh hate the English?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i've just come back from a holiday to Wales, lovely country it has to be said. However not a day went by without a Welsh person being rude to me! I was ignored in shops, not given eye contact when i spoke and had staff in pubs and shops being very abrupt with me. Also when i enter a shop and say something, everyone immediatly stops talking in English and starts talking in Welsh! For this to happen once or twice maybe a coincidence, but the whole week?!

Is anyone on here Welsh or had similar or different experiences? Perhaps you've been to Wales and thought everyone was polite?
Do the Welsh hate the English? Discuss.

Comments

• Options
    Not sure if its just the Welsh - I hate the English as well :D
  • Options
    This is an extremely difficult one. It does seem to depend at the moment whether you go to North or South Wales. In places such as Cardiff, issues like this tend not to arise by my experience. Up in the north however, it's a different story. In recent years, issues have arisen to do with increasing house prices, people not being able to buy them, having to move away and such. This completely ignores the fact that wages in North Wales are abysmally poor, but there we go.

Recently, a lot of pressure groups have been formed in Wales to protect the Welsh language. Morrocan Roll has said on these forums many times the language is dying. I agree with him. However, many people wish to keep it going, and that I have no problem with. The noble aim of saving a language has, sadly, been hijacked by a minority who have diverted this into a race issue. The way that English people are being treated in this country at the moment makes me thoroughly ashamed to be a Welshman.

One final point - when it comes to people starting conversations in Welsh, this is nothing new. It's not meant to be a way of making a statement against the English or people against any other nationality. It's more of a way of attempting to keep the language going. Policies such as this are encouraged by many local public and private companies - Gwynedd Council has had a fair bit to say about this subject in recent years, for example.

It is not a simple issue of claiming that the Welsh hate the English. Such old rivalries should have been consigned to the dustbin of history years ago, though sadly such xenophobic and simple-minded attitudes remain in this country in abundance. It's one of many reasons why I intend to leave Wales as soon as finances permit. The country may be beautiful, but there are things happening in this country of which I wish to have no part in.
  • Options
    Half of my family are welsh and to be honest, they hate anyone who isn't welsh.

I agree with a lot of what stargalaxy has already outlined - there are the same problems that occur anywhere when rich outsiders move into a desirable area and locals have no option but to leave. It (perhaps understandably) creates resentment but unfortunately, a minority of welsh have chosen to focus on the fact that most of these people are english over anything else.

I can sympathise, having had to move away from the Lake District in Cumbria due to lack of affordable housing, opportunities or jobs. I miss it very much and I'd love to move back there. It's very difficult not to blame the Londoners that have bought up everything as weekend cottages at insane prices.
  • Options
    Londoners have had it tough of late, infaltion in the capital is running at about 7.5% due to congestion charging astronomic property cost tax hikes and such. I'm from northampton myself but to blame any particular region or country for the state of things at home is kinda weak as what made the place how it is is the people already there.
  • Options
    im half welsh, and i still hate you all as much as if i was a pure northerner
  • Options
    I'm from northampton myself but to blame any particular region or country for the state of things at home is kinda weak as what made the place how it is is the people already there.
    That was kind of my point.
  • Options
    It's a kind of miracle Great Britain is still one piece. :D

And I thought we had differences in Spain!
  • Options
    It's worse when the footballs on, I remember the England Vs Wales match and I was working in one of the busiest bars in Wrexham and this pisshead comes up to me and goes "I hate the fucking English, are you English?" And I said "Yeah I am actually... Why do you hate the English?" He shut the hell up and five minutes later I walked past and he shouts "Oi, are you a fuckin' student? I hate students!"

The thing that takes the piss up here is that a lot of the English hating people go around in Man United Tshirts and Liverpool... They can't even speak a word of Welsh and seem to think that the only Celts lived in Wales, Scotland and Ireland.

To be fair I don't know many Welsh people who know the history behind their country... Nor what "ich dien", what they all have tattooed in the same place on their arm means, nor why they hate the English.

I hate being targetted for what people did when my ancestors are from Latvia, Russia, France and Germany. That makes my Celtic blood as thick as theirs.
  • Options
    TBH who cares what the Welsh think. England is the only place that matters in the UK anyway.
  • Options
    TBH who cares what the [insert nationality here] think. England is the only place that matters in the UK anyway.
    And that's why the [insert nationality here] don't like us very much
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    just ignore matadore he's a complete fucking idiot.
  • Options

Its a completely accurate statement. England essentially subsidises Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland for everything.
  • Options
    If Wales became completely detached from England, would it survive?
  • Options
    No, it wouldnt. Wales is essentially a third world coutnry which is lucky to be joined at the hip to a rich one.
  • Options
    TBH who cares what the Welsh think. England is the only place that matters in the UK anyway.

I rest my case...

It irritates me that not only do most of the rest of the world not understand the difference between England and the UK, nor do most of the English...
  • Options
    If Wales became completely detached from England, would it survive?
    no.
    there is some truth in what mat says.
    can you think of a single welsh company that provides large employment investment?
    if wales went it alone ...and all the english money was pulled out ...foriegn investors such as the japs would soon follow i think.
    the problem with wales is theres to many fucking mountains!
    i think i'm correct in saying that wales is the only country in the western world that doesn't have a modern multi laned highway connecting its south to its north ...it just aint possible.
    the seas are to treacherous for large ports as well.
  • Options
    I don't hate the english, but I do hate English twats like Matadore that treat me as if I Wales is a poor country and try to make me feel ashamed to be there.

Also its not like the english are totally respectful to the welsh is it?
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    I don't hate the english

Which is probably quite beneficial, living in Buckinghamshire.
  • Options
    bad seed wrote:
    Which is probably quite beneficial, living in Buckinghamshire.

It is rather handy. ;)

Especially here....in fact its probably a good thing ive lost my accent while on a night out in Aylesbury. :nervous: (too which i returned today)
  • Options
    I'm actually related to the first president of Plaid Cymru...
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    I'm actually related to the first president of Plaid Cymru...
    omg!
    if that lot ever get in power the english will be leaving in droves ...seriously.
    me included.
    a woman candidate came to my house last year from plaid ...when i mentioned to her that plaid had publicly stated in the newspapers that the english were to be likened to foot and mouth disease and should be eradicated ...she laughed and said i wasn't to worry about what the idiotic minority spouted ...i almost turned my hosepipe on her but decided instead to point out that these words were coming from the actual leaders. she scarpered quick.
  • Options
    Whether Wales could survive on its own is completely inconsequential. What should be looked at and valued here is each region/area/country's unique cultural heritage. That is what make an area special. And that is why Wales should be valued and treasured- just as England and Scotland should.

Matadore's comments amount to little more than trolling I fear. Other than greater London, and perhaps Scotland, I doubt any region within Britain could survive by itself. I look forward to Matadore's (and anyone else ready to take cheap shots at Wales) comments describing the mythical 'Middle England' we keep hearing about or the Home Counties as worthless rubbish- seeing as they could not survive on their own either.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    I don't hate the english, but I do hate English twats like Matadore that treat me as if I Wales is a poor country and try to make me feel ashamed to be there.

Also its not like the english are totally respectful to the welsh is it?
    Or the welsh to the english either for that matter, looking at Morroccan Roll's, or Moonrat's or the original poster's experiences of being english in Wales :p Unless you take Matadore's comments as being the definitive view of the 'English Nation' in all things then you really can't say that.

My mate living in London continually has the piss ripped out of her for her accent, and that she's an 'ooh arrr farmer' and a yokel and a sheepshagger just because she has a cumbrian accent. She says that even people with generic Northern accents are picked on at her workplace (an investment bank). Does that say something about Southerners, or something about Londoners, or something about the people she works with?
  • Options
    sorry it might just be me being drunk and very irish tonight, but you have to admit it, throughout history..well since 1066 ;) the english have been the most aggresive, imperialist wankers you have ever known and i'm sure most of the people are alright but the country itself has dug a hole it can't get out off and it's no wonder everyone hates them..oops haha...true though.. :)
  • Options
    Does that say something about Southerners, or something about Londoners, or something about the people she works with?

It says something about people. My accent is posher when at the start of a new term, my mates have a good laugh for a week, then it goes a bit midlands. We all take the mickey out of each other.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    sorry it might just be me being drunk and very irish tonight, but you have to admit it, throughout history..well since 1066 ;) the english have been the most aggresive, imperialist wankers you have ever known and i'm sure most of the people are alright but the country itself has dug a hole it can't get out off and it's no wonder everyone hates them..oops haha...true though.. :)
    No more than France or Spain. The Italians conquered the civilised world and the Scandinavians were the terror of Europe.
  • Options
    I live in Cornwall and I HATE IT. I hate the heritage, the countless old people, the rain.. its an incredibly boring place to grow up in.. I can't understand why the Cornish are always trying to break free from the rest of the country.
    Anyway.. whenever I'm in Wales I'm generally treated fine, seeing as I've a very large family to visit up there :D
  • Options
    Do you really hate Cornwall? I love the place myself. Then again I only go there for the odd holiday and perhaps if I was living there permanently my perspective would change.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I think the way people feel about each other is clearly demonstrated at sporting events. The English will generally support the Scotts or Welsh after their own team, but in my experience it doesn't work the other way - they love to see us lose.
    I think that's sad.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options

and this is the precise reason why we hate the english, because wankers like this are so narrow minded to think that england is the centre of the fucking universe, they can't see the forest for the trees. like someone has already said, the UK is made up of 4 separate "regions" and each of those regions have their own national identities, and to be fair, its not suprising lots of people hate the english with their superior attitude of "your not from england, your must be completely inferior to us"
This discussion has been closed.