Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Happy Birthday Maggie!

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Toadborg wrote:
    Average incomes generally increase every year, this is economic growth.

No they don't.

Income, for it to be meaningful, can only be linked to the cost of things to buy.

It's all well and good earning £100 a day instead of £100 a week, but not if a house costs £125,000 instead of £15,000, and a family saloon car costs £12,000.
  • Options
    Yes I fully realise that.

Real average incomes grow year on year, normally......

The average British person today is better off than the average person 100 years ago.

I am better off now than my grandad was when he was my age.

Do you dispute that?
  • Options
    Just a quick methodological note on those links Blagsta.

a) Some of the criticisms of the classical economics are interesting but the author is clearly focusing on those elements he can criticsie, there are plenty of aspects which he neglects to mention, and which deal with several of the points he makes

i.e. on the subject of circular causation and dynamism he fails to mention the theory of the Walrasian auctioneer, he also mentions information assymetries as something nto dealt with by the core theory. This is not really true as this is a much exploredissue, the theories dealling with shich are well known to most economists.....

b) he criticises lack of data etc, lack of empirical testing but doesn't seem willing to subject his own theory to empricial analysis....

c) the point about the model of perfect competion not being an accurtae representation of the real world is of course true. But suggesting that this is not somehow aknowledged by economists is completely untrue......
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    You have shown nothing of the sort :confused:

If the guy is now producing 20 units, and keeps 15, giving 5 to the person who helped them then he is now a lot better off isn't he?

You didn't actually read my post did you?
    Toadborg wrote:
    Why do you think that year on year the wages of most people increase?

They don't.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Real average incomes grow year on year, normally.

No they don't.

And am I better off than people 100 years ago? Not really. I still spend nearly all my wage on rent and food.

Technology might have improved, but in real terms there isn't as much difference as those who delight in "progress" would like to say.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    You have shown nothing of the sort :confused:

If the guy is now producing 20 units, and keeps 15, giving 5 to the person who helped them then he is now a lot better off isn't he?

Why do you think that year on year the wages of most people increase?

You've also asssumed that the exchange value stays the same, when in fact, producing more units would eventually bring the exchange value down due to the law of supply and demand.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    No they don't.

And am I better off than people 100 years ago? Not really. I still spend nearly all my wage on rent and food.

Technology might have improved, but in real terms there isn't as much difference as those who delight in "progress" would like to say.

You have TV, the Internet, cars, better sanitation, better healthcare, better education.

If you really don't think that your life now is probably better than it would have been a hundred years ago then you are deluded....

The fact you use this site so much suggests you get some enjoyment from it, 100 years ago you would not have had this, you are better off, aren't you.

Real wages do increase, on average, normally, every year

Please show me some data to the contrary Blagsta.......
  • Options
    How are you measuring that average?
  • Options
    Yes we have talked about this before.

Yes there are issues with inequality, yes a median measure might be more appropriate than a mean.

No this is not enough to outweigh the gains for most people. And anyway we didn't start more equal than we are today necessarily so the genral trend will hold anyway.

Figures please..........
  • Options
    Not exactly figures, but
    Disturbing finding from LSE study - social mobility in Britain lower than other advanced countries and declining
    http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/pressAndInformationOffice/newsAndEvents/archives/2005/LSE_SuttonTrust_report.htm
    Wealth gap between rich and poor has widened since 1997
    http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/politics/article307942.ece
  • Options
    From the second link

"Since the mid-1990s disposable income grew by over a fifth for both groups. However, these increases resulted in a rise of £119 per week for the best off compared with a rise of £28 per week for the poorest."

If you can't even concede a simple point such as this then this highlights exactly what I have been saying about your role in these 'debates'........

Back to the previous links.......

I think the main point uderlying the various technicalities of the argument about value, profit etc is the idea that selling your labour is exploitiation

I am going to start a new thread on the matter for that reason.......
  • Options
    OK, fairynuff, I didn't have time to read those articles in depth as I was at work. However I do know this - wages in manual trades such as the building trade and gardening etc have actually gone down over the last few years. Anyone who works as a labourer will tell you this.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:

I think the main point uderlying the various technicalities of the argument about value, profit etc is the idea that selling your labour is exploitiation

I am going to start a new thread on the matter for that reason.......

Correct - having to sell your labour as a commodity, is exploitation and leads to the commodification of human beings.
  • Options
    Ok, hope you join in the thread I have just done...........
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Just a quick methodological note on those links Blagsta.

a) Some of the criticisms of the classical economics are interesting but the author is clearly focusing on those elements he can criticsie, there are plenty of aspects which he neglects to mention, and which deal with several of the points he makes

i.e. on the subject of circular causation and dynamism he fails to mention the theory of the Walrasian auctioneer, he also mentions information assymetries as something nto dealt with by the core theory. This is not really true as this is a much exploredissue, the theories dealling with shich are well known to most economists.....

You'll have to help me out here and explain a bit about the "Walrasian auctioneer". This
    Leon Walras assumed that bidding processes would cause prices to adjust to eliminate market surpluses or shortages, but a bidding process requires some entity (an auctioneer?) to weigh the respective offers of buyers and sellers, thereby ascertaining the market-clearing price. Walrasian adjustment mechanisms implicitly assume the existence of an auctioneer, but the vast majority of transactions in market economies are consummated through acceptances of offers or negotiations between buyers and sellers, not auctions per se. Thus, a Walrasian auctioneer is not present in most markets, and is largely mythical.
    http://www.unc.edu/depts/econ/byrns_web/Economicae/EconomicaeW.htm
    doesn't shed much light on what you mean either
  • Options
    It would take some explaining, for which this is not the most appropriate place really, you would need to look at an economic textbook.

The point wasn't really that the Walrasian auctioneer is the correct way of describing the economy because it isn't. I just used that as an example to highlight the fact that the analysis you linked to has neglected large swathes of economic theory (i.e. most of it) that consider the problems he talks about........
  • Options
    But using an example that isn't a correct way of describing the economy doesn't exactly help your argument does it?
  • Options
    Yes but that misses the point, as does that article.

These theoretical concepts act as a jumping off point for a more in depth analysis.

Formulating a model, then recognising its flaws and adapting to them is the way we improve our understanding....

THe point with the Walrasian auctioneer is of course not that there is actually such an individual but that markets way work as if there were one, and that this concept helps us to understand and formalise that understanding......
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:

These theoretical concepts act as a jumping off point for a more in depth analysis.

Formulating a model, then recognising its flaws and adapting to them is the way we improve our understanding....

Yes...and? What are is your critique of the ltv and surplus value?
    Toadborg wrote:
    THe point with the Walrasian auctioneer is of course not that there is actually such an individual but that markets way work as if there were one, and that this concept helps us to understand and formalise that understanding......

"markets way work as if there were one" (I assume you mean "may") - eh? You've just said that its incorrect. Is it or isn't it?
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:

With Perfect Compertition for example, think of them as an engine with 100% efficiency, completly impossible in the real world, but very usefull as a theory to know what "to aim for" or as a benchmark for other engins.
  • Options
    See, that's the problem. Instead of analysing what actually happens, you're on about a model to aim for. It's arse over tit.
  • Options
    How can you analyse the efficiency of an engine if you dont know what would be 100% efficient, you first need to work out the amount of power in the fuel and what the engine would do if it was 100%efficient,

Do you deny that an enginer analysing an engine to see how efficient it was would need to know what was 100% first?

Blagsta wrote:
    See, that's the problem. Instead of analysing what actually happens, you're on about a model to aim for. It's arse over tit.

Hey your the one always quoting Marx
  • Options
    How can you analyse the efficiency of an engine if you dont know what would be 100% efficient, you first need to work out the amount of power in the fuel and what the engine would do if it was 100%efficient,

Do you deny that an enginer analysing an engine to see how efficient it was would need to know what was 100% first?

The economy is not an engine.
    Hey your the one always quoting Marx

Yep, because an analysis of how capitalism actually works rather than how you'd like it to work is a better idea IMO.
  • Options
    Yes but to my knowledge Marx never formalised his theories mathematically, nor proved them empirically.

That is what you need to do in modern economics.

Its all well and good you claiming that Marx is right, if so you should be able to prove it with numbers........
  • Options
    I'm not aware of modern economics actually having an empirical analysis. Modern economics is, however, based on the assumption that capitalism is natural and inevitable and therefore falls down at the first hurdle.
  • Options
    :confused:

Modern economics has a vast amount of empirical investigation, truly vast.....

It isn't based on any such assumptions..........
  • Options
    Yes, it is built on assumptions. It takes the existing social structures for granted, assumes they are "natural" and builds its theories round that.
  • Options
    How exactly do you know that? Because you read it on an anarchist website, or because you have actually studied it?

I am telling you it does none of those things......
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Yes, it is built on assumptions. It takes the existing social structures for granted, assumes they are "natural" and builds its theories round that.

The existing social structure, such as people growing/hunting/making things and people selling/buying things.

From the earliest cavemen to the roman empire to today such conditions have exsisted, evern in the Soviet Union they traded with other countries and had a black market,

Name me one system or point in History whare these "existing social structures" didnt exsist,
    The only close answer is the good old Soviet Union, which acording to you is/was state capatalism, got any others ?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Toadborg wrote:
    I am telling you it does none of those things......

And how do YOU know that?