Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Happy Birthday Maggie!

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What model of economics?

P.S.
    I have already mentioned some. Go read the thread.
  • Options
    Here's a starter for 10 though - the existence of private property* - which I already implied when I talked about social relations like boss and worker, paying rent etc.

*note - not possessions
  • Options
    No private property is not a basic assumption of economics......

Next.
  • Options
    Do you even know what I mean by "private property"?
  • Options
    Yes I think......

I am honestly telling you that it is not a fundamental assumption of economic modelling
  • Options
    So what do I mean by it? And which model are you talking about? Does it subscribe to a utility theory of value? If not, what tov does it subscribe to? What does it say about the labour theory of value?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    So what do I mean by it? And which model are you talking about? Does it subscribe to a utility theory of value? If not, what tov does it subscribe to? What does it say about the labour theory of value?

I take it you mean ownership of the means of production by private individuals. No basic economic analysis relies on this to be the case, we talk about firms but these could be run in any kind of way, they could be co-operatives etc.....

I am talking about anyone model, as I have mentioned economics is more of a way of thinking about the world, a method rather than an answer. Specifically I have been thinming about the consumer theory that underpins most other economics. This simply sets out a description of human behaviour, which is a starting point for examining why people behave certain ways in different situations.

What exactly do you mean by a utility theory of value?
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    I take it you mean ownership of the means of production by private individuals.

Correct.
    Toadborg wrote:
    No basic economic analysis relies on this to be the case, we talk about firms but these could be run in any kind of way, they could be co-operatives etc.....

Errr...you will however, assume the existence of private property in that model.
    Toadborg wrote:
    I am talking about anyone model, as I have mentioned economics is more of a way of thinking about the world, a method rather than an answer.

Yes, but we can't have a conversation about it without knowing what model we are discussing. You know where I'm coming from. Where are you coming from?
    Toadborg wrote:
    Specifically I have been thinming about the consumer theory that underpins most other economics. This simply sets out a description of human behaviour, which is a starting point for examining why people behave certain ways in different situations.

Examples? However, I would strongly suspect that they make basic assumptions about people's behaviour within a capitalist context and don't question those underlying assumptions.
    Toadborg wrote:
    What exactly do you mean by a utility theory of value?

*slaps head*

Are you sure you know anything about economics? Utility value theories explain exchange value in terms of the consumer not the producer (in a nutshell). You never heard of marginal utility?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Correct.

Errr...you will however, assume the existence of private property in that model.

Yes, but we can't have a conversation about it without knowing what model we are discussing. You know where I'm coming from. Where are you coming from?

Examples? However, I would strongly suspect that they make basic assumptions about people's behaviour within a capitalist context and don't question those underlying assumptions.

No we will not assume the existence of private property at the most basic level, it is unnecessary.

There are bloody thousands of economic models aimed at answering thousands of economic questions, I am talking about the vary basics, i.e. the most basic consumer and utility theory.

We would make basic assumptions about behaviour yes, we assume agents are utility maximisers.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

*slaps head*

Are you sure you know anything about economics? Utility value theories explain exchange value in terms of the consumer not the producer (in a nutshell). You never heard of marginal utility?

I answered your questions perfectly civilly, yet you have to lower the tone again......

Yes I understand marginal utility thanks.......
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    No we will not assume the existence of private property at the most basic level, it is unnecessary.

There are bloody thousands of economic models aimed at answering thousands of economic questions, I am talking about the vary basics, i.e. the most basic consumer and utility theory.

We would make basic assumptions about behaviour yes, we assume agents are utility maximisers.

You're barking up the wrong tree then as it's impossible to look at human behaviour in the abstract. It is always based in a social context, which includes modes of production and all the social relations that come with that.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    I answered your questions perfectly civilly, yet you have to lower the tone again......

Yes I understand marginal utility thanks.......

So you know what I'm talking about then don't you?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    You're barking up the wrong tree then as it's impossible to look at human behaviour in the abstract. It is always based in a social context, which includes modes of production and all the social relations that come with that.

'It is impossible'

Best tell that to all the people who have been doing it all these years then.

Best explain why this analysis provides many empirically justified conclusions and explains many observed phenomenon.....
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    So you know what I'm talking about then don't you?

And I knew what you meant by private property, you asked me I answered, I do the same, just to confimr and you are rude.

Make you feel big and clever does it?
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    'It is impossible'

Yep. Human beings are social animals. How can you divorce what we do from the social? How can you have a theory of utility that ignores the realities of consumption and production? It makes no sense.
    Toadborg wrote:
    Best tell that to all the people who have been doing it all these years then.

Look - the point is that it suits these people to do this because you don't then come to any uncomfortable conclusions about capitalism.
    Toadborg wrote:
    Best explain why this analysis provides many empirically justified conclusions and explains many observed phenomenon.....

I doubt that it does. Examples please.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    And I knew what you meant by private property, you asked me I answered, I do the same, just to confimr and you are rude.

Make you feel big and clever does it?

Errr...you were being obtuse again. Deliberately I expect. Looking for a slanging match again are you?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

Look - the point is that it suits these people to do this because you don't then come to any uncomfortable conclusions about capitalism.

Doesn't it?

The basic theory developed by classical economics would actually support many of your own ideas I suspect.

For example it would say that market power was bad, so that action should be taken to prevent corporations becoming too powerful.

It would say pollution was bad, that government should intervene to tax pollutors so as to improve the welfare of society.

Wouldn't you agree with those principles?
  • Options
    Yes, but my point is that nothing you do will reform capitalism, make it any friendlier, nicer, fluffier etc as its underlying mechanisms are exploitation and commodification of human beings for the benefit of a minority.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

I doubt that it does. Examples please.

I am afraid you probably wouldn't understand any papers I reference sadly.......

The examples are incredibly numerous however.

Just consider very basic stuff, improved technology = lower costs = lower prices, tastes chnage so that demand is higher, prices go up.

Interest rates go up, investment falls etc etc etc.......
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    as its underlying mechanisms are exploitation and commodification of human beings for the benefit of a minority.

Well that is a different debate, as I said several pages back it is obvious that this is the central point of your argument and that is why I started a seperate thread........
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    for the benefit of a minority.

Well this is obviously wrong, without going back to the rather tedious and stupid debate about whether living standards have increased I would point out as I have several times in the past that most peoples living standrads increase year on year normally, not just a minority........
  • Options
    :confused:

No, its exactly the same debate. What exactly do you think we've just been arguing about for the last umpteen pages?
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Well this is obviously wrong, without going back to the rather tedious and stupid debate about whether living standards have increased I would point out as I have several times in the past that most peoples living standrads increase year on year normally, not just a minority........

Oh Christ. :rolleyes: Not this again. :rolleyes: x 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
  • Options
    Well yes exactly, I don't want to go back to it, it isn't worth it, most people will see that I am right I feel sure and I beleive even you conceded the point to some degree......
  • Options
    Look - I'm not denying the benefits capitalism has brought to us. But - it is not a system that benefits everyone equally. It brings the standard of living up, yes (at a cost however - human, environmental etc) because its own logic requires a market to sell to. However, to deny that its main beneficiaries are in the minority and to think that it is a system which works to benefit humanity as a whole, is insane. Which is my point. I'd be mad to deny that I enjoy its benefits - however I'd be equally mad to deny its huge costs as well.
  • Options
    OK I don't entirely disagree with you but often you are not clear over these issues.#

Just as you admit there are benefits, you will find that economists admit the costs and as with the environment and large corporations, as I highlighted above, they would advocate that something be done to stop these things from happening.

That is why I think it unfair to label economics as something that is entirely supportive of the consensus.

I certainly agree that some people benefit far more than others and that some people don't do well out of it at all, which is why we must have the kind of strong social democracy of the kind that is found to a greater or lesser extent acroos Europe. In order to ensure the provision of education, health, basic incomes etc.

In my opinion a mixed economy is the best system yet seen in the history of human civilisation.
  • Options
    You've missed the point again.
  • Options
    Have I?

Your point was that market capitalism would not benefit everyone, as you stated.

I agree, hence why governments are important in a mixed economic system.

Obviously you would say that this was not enough, but I think I am going to start a thread to debate which economic sytems people would prefer so maybe we debate it there?
  • Options
    The point is (as I have already stated)

"Yes, but my point is that nothing you do will reform capitalism, make it any friendlier, nicer, fluffier etc as its underlying mechanisms are exploitation and commodification of human beings for the benefit of a minority."

and I then went on to qualify what I meant by "benefit of a minority". IMO, the costs of capitalism are getting too great - exploitation of people, commodification, alienation, increased mental illness, environmental destuction etc etc. The underlying mechanism of capitalism is exploitation, appropriating surplus value from workers and commodifying human beings.
  • Options
    Increased mental illness?

How is that a result of capitalism, and has it really increased?

Getting too great? But it would be appropriate to say the world was 'more capitalist' a 120 years ago, before the welfare state etc........