Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Happy Birthday Maggie!

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Toadborg wrote:
    Increased mental illness?

How is that a result of capitalism, and has it really increased?

There is more and more evidence that the majority of mental illness is the result of traumatic experiences. Capitalism brutalises people, its ideology is one of competition, ruthlessness, exploitation, "me first, "no such thing as society" etc. That impacts on how people treat each other. How we treat vulnerable people is determined by capitalist economics too - look at the state of mental health services in this country.
    Toadborg wrote:
    Getting too great? But it would be appropriate to say the world was 'more capitalist' a 120 years ago, before the welfare state etc........

The welfare state is a product of capitalism*, a necessary safety net to stop people becoming too poor and angry. Capitalism requires unemployment - full employment would lead to a lack of supply of labour and increase production costs thus reducing profit. Capitalist ideology also evolves - we're witnessing the results of the neo-liberal policies at the moment...

[eta]
    *actually, I will qualify this slightly - the welfare state performs this function for capitalism
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Increased mental illness?

How is that a result of capitalism,
    i wonder how high the levels of mental ilness were in ancient egypt ...all them slaves.

the roman empire ...a brutish police state.

looking back over all the past political institutions we've had ...it's a wonder theres any sane people left!
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    looking back over all the past political institutions we've had ...it's a wonder theres any sane people left!

How do you know we are? When the insane are the majority, defining what sanity is... could we ALL be insane?! Except the ones we lock away..
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    There is more and more evidence that the majority of mental illness is the result of traumatic experiences. Capitalism brutalises people, its ideology is one of competition, ruthlessness, exploitation, "me first, "no such thing as society" etc. That impacts on how people treat each other. How we treat vulnerable people is determined by capitalist economics too - look at the state of mental health services in this country.

Well of course I would make the standard 'show me this evidence' remark......
  • Options
    For the evidence of trauma causing mental illness, see this article
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,1598133,00.html for what is the ideology of capitalism, read some philosophy, for "no such thing as society", read the history of the last 25 years, specifically looking at the person who this thread was originally the subject of. For the state of the mental health services - ask anyone who works in the field. Any other questions?
  • Options
    What are you specifically pointing to though?

I don't quite see the capitalism = trauma link.

I can kind of see how people may get stressed at the competitive nature of work but even that is tenuous.
  • Options
    It's not a tenuous point.

An economic system that rewards back-stabbing, bullying and climbing to the top on each other's faces works down through every social situation in the end.

This sort of system, where bullyting is encouraged, only encourages bullying. For instance.

And that's before we deal with the trauma of having a poor family, having a family that are never there because they have to work so hard to live, and the trauma of socio-economic exclusion.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    It's not a tenuous point.

An economic system that rewards back-stabbing, bullying and climbing to the top on each other's faces works down through every social situation in the end.

This sort of system, where bullyting is encouraged, only encourages bullying. For instance.

Maybe, I am sure there is some proper research on it....
    Kermit wrote:
    And that's before we deal with the trauma of having a poor family, having a family that are never there because they have to work so hard to live, and the trauma of socio-economic exclusion.

Well that is a situation that is not unique to capitalism is it?
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    What are you specifically pointing to though?

I don't quite see the capitalism = trauma link.

I can kind of see how people may get stressed at the competitive nature of work but even that is tenuous.

You really do have trouble making connections between things don't you?
  • Options
    When I doubt that connection is true, yes............
  • Options
    So you can't see any connection between dominant modes of production, ideology, social relations and society? Really?
  • Options
    The issue is the link that capitalism = trauma = mental illness

I would question the degree to which this is true......
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    The issue is the link that capitalism = trauma = mental illness

You really are quite literal aren't you? I haven't actually stated it in quite those terms have I?
    Toadborg wrote:
    I would question the degree to which this is true......

So you only question the degree? Not the underlying truth? OK, at least we're getting somewhere...
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    You really are quite literal aren't you? I haven't actually stated it in quite those terms have I?

So you only question the degree? Not the underlying truth? OK, at least we're getting somewhere...

That is what you implied.....

I wouldn't say that there were no negative effects of a capitalist system with regards to mental probles etc, I would question the degree to which these are different to other systems though.....

The fact is people have to work, they have to achieve things, under any system, and that can be stressful......
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    That is what you implied.....

No, I did not state it as simply as that.
    Toadborg wrote:
    I wouldn't say that there were no negative effects of a capitalist system with regards to mental probles etc, I would question the degree to which these are different to other systems though.....

We're not talking about other systems, we're talking about capitalism and the direction it is evolving in.
    Toadborg wrote:
    The fact is people have to work, they have to achieve things, under any system, and that can be stressful......

Way to miss the point by ten zillion trillion miles.
  • Options
    :rolleyes:

Yes well I may miss it when you makes your points so poorly.

Everything you have said has been tremendously vague......

Most mental illness I would imagine can be linked to some specific cause(s), if mental illness is on the rise due to our economic system then what causes are there that are more prevalent and that could be avoided under a different system?
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    :rolleyes:

Yes well I may miss it when you makes your points so poorly.

I actually state them quite well - unfortunatly you seem to have difficulty following a subtle argument and making connections between things. It is also difficult 'cos you seem to have no grounding in philosophy, sociology or cultural studies.
    Toadborg wrote:
    Everything you have said has been tremendously vague......

No, everything has been stated quite clearly, with links to back up my points.
    Toadborg wrote:
    Most mental illness I would imagine can be linked to some specific cause(s), if mental illness is on the rise due to our economic system then what causes are there that are more prevalent and that could be avoided under a different system?

Well that is 2 different questions really. The first one I have answered (although no doubt you will deny that I have), the second one is irrelevant to the topic under discussion.
  • Options
    Of course the second poiny is relevant, what on earth is the point of going out of your way to highlight the problems of one system if you can't show that these problesm would be avoided under a different system?
  • Options
    So no one can critique capitalism without having all the answers? :confused:
  • Options
    No but the fact that c you say capitalism = bad thing must mean you can say there is anohter system that does not lead to this bad thing.

This is what I mean about being specific.

If for example you identify competition as a feature of capitalism that leads to mental illness then you have to show that competition could be less under a different systemand would thus be beneficial.

Saying anything is bad requires you to show there is something better else it is pointless.........
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    No but the fact that c you say capitalism = bad thing must mean you can say there is anohter system that does not lead to this bad thing.

I think my views on this are well known. Are you amnesiac?
    Toadborg wrote:
    This is what I mean about being specific.

If for example you identify competition as a feature of capitalism that leads to mental illness

I didn't say that though.
    Toadborg wrote:
    then you have to show that competition could be less under a different systemand would thus be beneficial.

Saying anything is bad requires you to show there is something better else it is pointless.........

So critiques and analysis are pointless unless you know all the answers? Sorry, you've lost me. :confused:
  • Options
    can we have some comparisons here please with other political systems?
    past and present ...
  • Options
    Why?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Why?
    have a think about it.
  • Options
    I'm asking for your reasons.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I'm asking for your reasons.
    well your always attacking capitalism for its evils ...how about comparing it with other systems past and present to see how the peoples mental health is shaping up?
  • Options
    You seem to have missed the point.
  • Options
    Why do you automatically assume that I think things were better in the past?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Why do you automatically assume that I think things were better in the past?
    i don't and haven't implied that i do have i?
  • Options
    What did this mean then "how about comparing it with other systems past and present to see how the peoples mental health is shaping up?"?