Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Happy Birthday Maggie!

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Toadborg wrote:
    name me some economic assumptions then?

Isto foi feito já uma vez, aprende ler.
  • Options
    Dear dear Blagsta, please don't embarass yourself anymore, you don't know what you are talking about, never mind.........
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Dear dear Blagsta, please don't embarass yourself anymore, you don't know what you are talking about, never mind.........

Yes Toadborg. Now, back to the debate. Are you going to engage properly? Or not?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    This has already been dealt with. If you're not going to follow the thread then just don't bother at all.

No it hasn't

Name me an assumption, identify one single asumption that goes into economic science that relates the conclusions to capitalism directly.........
  • Options
    This has been dealt with, several times. Read the fucking thread numbnuts.
  • Options
    No it hasn't........*sigh*

Name me one assumption...

Its not hard, if you are right you should be able to identify at least one element where the assumtpions of economic science relate to capitalism.

You haven't done that.........
  • Options
    Are you blind? Or just stupid?
  • Options
    I'll take that to mean you can't then....

Poor show.........
  • Options
    Errr...I have already. I'll take it that you just want the debate to end in a slanging match as you know you've lost. PhD in Economics indeed! :lol:
  • Options
    The fact that you think you have done something when you haven't simply highlights the fact that you don't know what you are talking about even more.......
  • Options
    Yep, you want this to degenerate into a slanging match. Read the damn thread if you want to know, I'm fucking sick of having to endlessly repeat myself 'cos you can't admit that you're totally out of your depth.
  • Options
    You are sick of repeating yuorself yet you have just said the same thing 5 times, whne it is supposedly so easy and obvious to answer the question I posed to you.....

Very poor...........
  • Options
    I think its certain Toadborg just wants a slanging match.

Bored now. There's no point in talking to someone who only wants to trade insults. This isn't said to take the moral high ground, it's just a statement of fact.

Let me know if you want to debate, Toady.
  • Options
    How tragic, you both supposedly want a debate, yet haven't even got the ability to try and make the point you have supposedly made so well and so many times before.....

Nice get out with the 'slanging match', I have been insulted by Blagsta far more than I have insulted him, oh dear.........
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I believe the closest the classical liberals came to dealing with labour was Thomas Malthus, who basically said we should let the poor starve to death. Even people like Jeremy Bentham did not deal with labour and the rights of people, he simply felt that paying them enough to keep them happy was a more productive way of making money.

my uni goes on about mr bentham all the bloody time :crying:
  • Options
    To be honest I'm with Toad - he's totally thrashed Blagsta and Kermit, who failed to make any arguments that add up, personally insult him and then accuse him of not reading their points.

Ah, I love shit stirring.... :)
  • Options
    You also appear to have trouble reading.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    You are sick of repeating yuorself yet you have just said the same thing 5 times, whne it is supposedly so easy and obvious to answer the question I posed to you.....

Very poor...........

READ THE FUCKING THREAD!
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    How tragic, you both supposedly want a debate, yet haven't even got the ability to try and make the point you have supposedly made so well and so many times before.....

Nice get out with the 'slanging match', I have been insulted by Blagsta far more than I have insulted him, oh dear.........

Bollocks. You're deliberately being obtuse and you know it.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    To be honest I'm with Toad - he's totally thrashed Blagsta and Kermit, who failed to make any arguments that add up, personally insult him and then accuse him of not reading their points.

Ah, I love shit stirring.... :)

Aaaah, another person with the inability to follow a thread.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Aaaah, another person with the inability to follow a thread.

No - followed it. watched you get trounced. enjoyed it
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    READ THE FUCKING THREAD!

Guess what, I just went through the whole thread...... :)

and yes this confirmed that you have patently not answered the question.........

:chin:
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    No - followed it. watched you get trounced. enjoyed it

you must be reading a different thread then 'cos its Toadborg who got trounced, with constant avoidance of points, wilful obfuscations, deliberate misreprentations and outright lies.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Guess what, I just went through the whole thread...... :)

and yes this confirmed that you have patently not answered the question.........

:chin:

Whatever. It has been answered. Several times and not just by me. This
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideology might help you though.

Now, if, as I suspect, you are deliberately trying to end the thread in a slanging match because you know that you've lost the debate then fine, but goodbye. :wave:
  • Options
    Another hint: have a look at the exchange that led me to post this
    Blagsta wrote:
    :banghead: Errr...that's quite implicit in what I wrote, I can't believe that you can't work it out!!!! :eek: Everything we do is moulded by our economic system. The fact that we have to pay mortgages, rent, sell our labour to survive, relate to people as bosses, watch adverts etc etc etc etc etc etc.

Where the hell did you study economics? :eek2:
  • Options
    And I will repeat again that the fact you think you have answered the question when you have not highlights the fact that you do not really even understand the question I have asked you.

The fact that you persist with the 'slanging match' idea is quite bizarre as well, I haven't insulted you for a couple of pages now.... :p

Economic conclusions are reached form models, these models are built on assumptions.

You have cliamed that these assumptions implicitly accept the capitalist system. I contend they do not and you have done nothing to show that I am wrong......
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    And I will repeat again that the fact you think you have answered the question when you have not highlights the fact that you do not really even understand the question I have asked you.

No, what it highlights is that you don't actually understand the answer.
    Toadborg wrote:
    The fact that you persist with the 'slanging match' idea is quite bizarre as well, I haven't insulted you for a couple of pages now.... :p

Being deliberatly obtuse is a good way to provoke a slanging match ime.
    Toadborg wrote:
    Economic conclusions are reached form models, these models are built on assumptions.

You seem to keep changing your opinion on this.
    Toadborg wrote:
    You have cliamed that these assumptions implicitly accept the capitalist system.

Yes.
    Toadborg wrote:
    I contend they do not and you have done nothing to show that I am wrong......

Yes I have. What do you actually think economics is? From your posts, you seem to think that is an objective reality, divorced from actual people and their relationships. :confused:
  • Options
    Asking what economics is, is a bizarre question to a certain degree, it is a method of studying human behaviour primarily......

It seems we may have to agree to disagree, oh well.........
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Asking what economics is, is a bizarre question to a certain degree, it is a method of studying human behaviour primarily......

No, its not a bizarre question at all. As I have said, our economic system determines our social relationships to a large degree. Now if you take those social relationships as "natural", don't question them and base your analysis on those assumptions you will arrive at a different conclusion than if you take a different starting point. See? Treating "the economy" as "an engine" (like someone mentioned earlier) treats it as an object, divorced from social relationships, divorced from people and the reality of their lives. Its what Marxist philosophers mean by reification - treating the human players and their relationships as objects, divorced from any subjectivity and roots in the social.
    Toadborg wrote:
    It seems we may have to agree to disagree, oh well.........

Yes, probably. That link on ideology is worth a look though, because what I am doing is attempting to get you to question your own ideology which you don't even seem to be aware that you have.
  • Options
    This is where my question comes in, the one you won't/can't answer.

What assumptions regarding existing social relations do you think that economics makes?