Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Happy Birthday Maggie!

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Toadborg wrote:
    Yes obviously I have not read a single word that Blagsta has written, obviously.......... :rolleyes:

Well, yes, its quite clear that you haven't or read any of the links I posted. You also nicely avoid most of my points.
    Toadborg wrote:
    Claiming I haven't read anything is Blagstas standard way of avoiding the fact that he hasn't explained himself at all, and has said very little of substance.........

Everytime I go into detail and back it up with examples and links it gets ignored by you, so I've pretty much given up. Look back through my posts if you're that interested, but I don't think you really are.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    It might be an idea to let us know how I can verify it, i.e. a link. Anyway, what does it prove? Can you name me any industries that have been nationalised since the 80's? How about industries that have been privatised? How about PFI's and PPP's?

Google? Not sure if you can get it, library access etc........

It clearly shows that under Thatcher, state involvement in the economy decreased, and that this trend has been reversed under New Labour.

State involvement in the economy would be one measure of 'how capitalist' it is, wouldn't you agree.

Obviously there are plenty of other factors to consider, but I think that is an important one......
  • Options
    What you mean to say I assume is that because I don't come fawning back with a grovelling apology admitting that I was wrong along I must not have read you stuff.

I did (partially) read your links, as I normally do in fact........
  • Options
    As far answering points, I think it you who needs to have a think about that.

I made the point that investnemtn creates value to which your poor response was to suggest that the investment capital 'was probably stolen' which was then backed up woth some reference to some old post, well done.........
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Google? Not sure if you can get it, library access etc........

It clearly shows that under Thatcher, state involvement in the economy decreased, and that this trend has been reversed under New Labour.

State involvement in the economy would be one measure of 'how capitalist' it is, wouldn't you agree.

No, those figures don't prove shit. New Labour has put more money into the civil service, but that hardly shows that we are "less capitalist" now. Without a breakdown of those figures, they don't mean anything.
    Toadborg wrote:
    Obviously there are plenty of other factors to consider, but I think that is an important one......

No, I think it tells us exactly nothing. Christ Toadborg, you've told me you studied economics. Where? The back of a cereal packet?
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    What you mean to say I assume is that because I don't come fawning back with a grovelling apology admitting that I was wrong along I must not have read you stuff.

I did (partially) read your links, as I normally do in fact........

No, what I mean is that you completely ignore half my points and demonstrate that you didn't bother reading any of the links I posted by your complete misunderstanding of them.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    As far answering points, I think it you who needs to have a think about that.

Christ, you're a hypocrite.
    Toadborg wrote:
    I made the point that investnemtn creates value to which your poor response was to suggest that the investment capital 'was probably stolen' which was then backed up woth some reference to some old post, well done.........

I was at work and not supposed to be posting. But demonstrate to me how investment "creates value" and I'll take you seriously. As for it being stolen - we've dealt with this all already. Do you need someone to join the fucking dots for you?
  • Options
    Show me where I demonstrate my misunderstanding?

I assume your answer is that I must have misunderstood because I don't agree with you?

You can admit it can't you?
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Show me where I demonstrate my misunderstanding?

All over your fucking posts.
    Toadborg wrote:
    I assume your answer is that I must have misunderstood because I don't agree with you?

You assume entirely too much. No, thats not it at all. Its because I post a link and some points and you ignore them or get the wrong end of the stick.
    Toadborg wrote:
    You can admit it can't you?

Admit what?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    But demonstrate to me how investment "creates value" and I'll take you seriously.

I already described this and you gave a pathetic response that 'it was probably stolen', which didn't deal with the point at all did it?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    All over your fucking posts.

You assume entirely too much. No, thats not it at all. Its because I post a link and some points and you ignore them or get the wrong end of the stick.

Admit what?

Show me the errors then, show me where I have got the wrong end of the stick, you won't be able to because although I read those links I did not dorectly refer to them as they were not directly relevant to the stream of the argumebnt at the time, so you are talking bollocks......

Admit to thinking that you know it all............
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    I already described this

No, you haven't. Look - value is created by labour. Merely putting money into an organisation doesn't create value. What it does do is to create a situation of power and control over the means of production and the labour. This control over labour does not create value. How can it? No work is done. I've already posted a link which talks about this far better than I can.
    Toadborg wrote:
    and you gave a pathetic response that 'it was probably stolen', which didn't deal with the point at all did it?

All this shows is that you don't bother reading my posts.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Show me the errors then, show me where I have got the wrong end of the stick, you won't be able to because although I read those links I did not dorectly refer to them as they were not directly relevant to the stream of the argumebnt at the time, so you are talking bollocks......

I've pointed out where you misunderstand things. Your constant use of the USSR in an attempt to back up your points for example.
    Toadborg wrote:
    Admit to thinking that you know it all............

No, I don't know it all. You appear to be projecting slightly btw.
  • Options
    I have a worker, he creates 10 units of value.

I invest in that worker, I give him new machinery he now creates 20 units of value

Isn't that how investment works? Hasn't that investment created that extra 10 units of value to some ectent?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I've pointed out where you misunderstand things. Your constant use of the USSR in an attempt to back up your points for example.

Constant use?

I don't think I have mentioned the USSR by name once, and have only referred to the previously communist nations a few times......

The use was valid because although I understand your point about such states not being proper communist states I would contend that these states show us what the result of communist revolution is most likely to be.

I don't even need them to be properly communist in fact as most of the debate has been about capitalism, not the laternative and the existence of those economies certainly helps to highlights some of the many benefits that capitalims brings.......

Anyway have to go

Ta-ta
  • Options

I invest in that worker, I give him new machinery he now creates 20 units of value

See the bit in bold?
  • Options
    But he didn't do it off his own back did he, someone helped him, do they not deserve some recognition for that?

If someone helps you, do you not think they deserve something in return?

And if this guy didn't receive anything in return, then why would he help this gut, and would that be a preferable situation.

This highlights exactly the thinking that has led to the miserable economies of the communist nations.......
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Constant use?

I don't think I have mentioned the USSR by name once, and have only referred to the previously communist nations a few times......

The use was valid because although I understand your point about such states not being proper communist states I would contend that these states show us what the result of communist revolution is most likely to be.

See that bit in bold? That, right there.
    Toadborg wrote:
    I don't even need them to be properly communist

What do you mean by "properly communist"?
    Toadborg wrote:
    in fact as most of the debate has been about capitalism, not the laternative and the existence of those economies certainly helps to highlights some of the many benefits that capitalims brings.......

See that bit in bold again? Right there. I suspect that until we both understand some common terms and some common history, this discussion isn't going to get anywhere. However, this does prove my point that you don't bother reading my posts.
    Toadborg wrote:
    iAnyway have to go

Ta-ta

Chicken.
  • Options

Both bollocks.

Until there is a customer, you have produced NO value. Customers create value, nothing else. In fact ,if there is no cunstomer you have produced waste.

Investment is worthless in itself, a huge pile of cash is meaningless until you use it to convince someone to do something with it. And that's all cash is, persuasion.

The actions (service/product) of that person are totally worthless until somebody else wants them to be done AND has paid for them.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    But he didn't do it off his own back did he, someone helped him,

Yes, this is entirely my point. Everything we do is as a result of a collective endeavour.
    Toadborg wrote:
    do they not deserve some recognition for that?

But what has he done, really? Nothing. He worked (I presume, it could also be the result of other investments) to get his money - that was his renumeration for his labour. Now to expect more renumeration and power merely because he has accumulated some capital, without actually doing any more work is exploitating the poor sod who does do the work.
    Toadborg wrote:
    If someone helps you, do you not think they deserve something in return?

Yes, but who have they helped? Probably not the poor sod operating the machine. Do they get a share in the extra profits created by producing twice as much? Or does their wage stay the same?
    Toadborg wrote:
    And if this guy didn't receive anything in return, then why would he help this gut, and would that be a preferable situation.

He hasn't helped the guy has he, I've just shown that.
    Toadborg wrote:
    This highlights exactly the thinking that has led to the miserable economies of the communist nations.......

Again, more proof that you haven't been reading my posts. Here's a hint - look up "state capitalist".
  • Options
    and for an explanation of why the USSR was state capitalist
    http://www.diy-punk.org/anarchy/secH3.html#sech313
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    There's no getting away from it, its how the system works. People are forced to sell their labour to other people in order to survive.
    and in every system you will ever devise.
  • Options
    and in every system you will ever devise.

You haven't actually been following the thread have you?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

Chicken.

I had to go somewhere moron, some of us are not on our PCs night and day as you seem to expect!
  • Options
    THose links are interesting, will take me a while to go through them, will be back to address them later, maybe a new thread will be deserved in fact........
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Yes, this is entirely my point. Everything we do is as a result of a collective endeavour.

But what has he done, really? Nothing. He worked (I presume, it could also be the result of other investments) to get his money - that was his renumeration for his labour. Now to expect more renumeration and power merely because he has accumulated some capital, without actually doing any more work is exploitating the poor sod who does do the work.

Yes, but who have they helped? Probably not the poor sod operating the machine. Do they get a share in the extra profits created by producing twice as much? Or does their wage stay the same?

He hasn't helped the guy has he, I've just shown that.

You have shown nothing of the sort :confused:

If the guy is now producing 20 units, and keeps 15, giving 5 to the person who helped them then he is now a lot better off isn't he?

Why do you think that year on year the wages of most people increase?
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:

They don't, though, do they?

I really don't think you've been reading a single word of what Blagsta has said. You've read what you want to read, and what you assume he said, not what was actually said.

I'll try and explain it in simple terms. I get paid £x by my boss, but he earns £x+y+z from my work. £y is what it costs him in overheads to have me in the office, and £z is enough to justify him extending his business, and to recoup his initial outlay. So far so good.

I do not get the full value of my labour, because I do not get paid £x+z. So far so good. Whether I am happy with the arrangement or not is immaterial.

The point is that this does not apply on a macro scale. The shareholder does not invest in the company, the shareholder purchases a holding in the company. To attempt to lower the argument to a scale of "he buys my machine, I should give him his money back" does not work because of this very point.

Shareholding is not about buying new machines, it is about paying the person with the means of production a fee to share in the profits from that production. One thing shareholding and investment in this sense does categorically NOT do is give workers the full value of their labour.
  • Options

Wages have fallen for everyone bar the banks for the last 120 years. See - inflation.
    The point is that this does not apply on a macro scale. The shareholder does not invest in the company, the shareholder purchases a holding in the company. To attempt to lower the argument to a scale of "he buys my machine, I should give him his money back" does not work because of this very point.

Yup. In effect, the workers rent the factory or whatever with no prospect of ever owning the fucker. He buys the machine, keeps ownership of it and charges me rent for working for ever and ever, allowing him to sit around doing jack pack while I both provide him goods and services AND have to pay him to do it.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    They don't, though, do they?

Yes they do....... :confused:

I am not sure how you are going to disagree with that fact, I think Blagsta did before, I can't remember why......

Average incomes generally increase every year, this is economic growth.