Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

the bbc are right tools

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    NQA wrote:
    Radio 5 should then be closed down. What needs to be kept can go to Radio 4 longwave or radio 2.

And I'm not neccessarily denying that BBC4 do some alright things. But the BBC has finite resources and they should be spending them on producing excellent terrestrial programmes rather than average/quite good programmes across the board.

they need to do less better

I'd sort of agree there, there could be some trimming to be sure. Its just always interesting to note that most anti-BBC talk comes from the various FOX news outlets.
  • Options
    I'm not anti-BBC, but I do think that they can be bloated and seem to have lost sight of what there aim is. Politically incorrect it may be, but the BBC needs some good management consultancy.
  • Options
    As J S Mill put it: "If the roads, the railways, the banks, the insurance offices, the great jointstock companies, the universities, and the public charities, were all of them branches of the government; if, in addition, the municipal corporations and local boards became departments of the central administration; if the employees of all these different enterprises were appointed and paid by the government, and looked to the government for every rise in life; not all the freedom of the press and popular constitution of the legislature would make this country free otherwise than in name."

That is why everything should be in private hands : freedom.
  • Options

Because news media is more 'free' in the US?

You know, in some ways your position on government is very similar to Blagsta's, just for different reasons.
  • Options
    As J S Mill put it: "If the roads, the railways, the banks, the insurance offices, the great jointstock companies, the universities, and the public charities, were all of them branches of the government; if, in addition, the municipal corporations and local boards became departments of the central administration; if the employees of all these different enterprises were appointed and paid by the government, and looked to the government for every rise in life; not all the freedom of the press and popular constitution of the legislature would make this country free otherwise than in name."

Yes we've been through this before - you seem to only be concerned with negative freedoms which in practice benefit the rich and priviledged. You don't seem to care a jot about positive freedoms - the freedom to fulfil one's potential.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Because news media is more 'free' in the US?

You know, in some ways your position on government is very similar to Blagsta's, just for different reasons.

Not really. Matadore seems to be anti-government 'cos he wants the right to fuck over as many people as possible.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Not really. Matadore seems to be anti-government 'cos he wants the right to fuck over as many people as possible.

There is a similarity though, he wants no government because he thinks companies can do it better, and you want no government because you think people could do it better. The motivation is different, but the desire is somewhat the same.
  • Options
    by the way

the BBC are right tools is grammatically incorrect
  • Options
    To put it simply, would you go around to your neighbours house with a gun to pay for eastenders?

Would you use violence or threats to get someone else to pay for your evening's entertainment?

So why is it ok to employ someone else to do it for you?

How many people do you need to be grouped with before theft stops being theft, anyway?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    There is a similarity though, he wants no government because he thinks companies can do it better, and you want no government because you think people could do it better. The motivation is different, but the desire is somewhat the same.

Partly, yes. We could both be described as libertarians. However the fundamental difference is to do with economics - Mat completely favours the existence of private property and capitalist labour relations (i.e. a minority owning land and resources and the majority being exploited by them). whereas I favour the abolition of private property and the common ownership of land and resources. Its a fairly fundamental difference.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    byny wrote:
    by the way

the BBC are right tools is grammatically incorrect
    :lol: Ace.

BBC should stay with the state as far as I am concerned. The private telivision is complete and utter wank, the Beeb is the best TV availible for those who don't either want hours of Soaps, Repeated US Sitcoms, or General toss like "Hitler is gay, omf rofl."

Beeb can fuck up alot, but not NEARLY as much as some of the US News Stations. They make me laugh regularly.
  • Options
    BBC should stay with the state as far as I am concerned.

No, it should never be part of the state. its a subtle difference but the BBC is publically funded, not part of the state.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    No, it should never be part of the state. its a subtle difference but the BBC is publically funded, not part of the state.

Sorry there... guess you know what I mean.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    can fuck up alot, but not NEARLY as much as some of the US News Stations. They make me laugh regularly.

CNN is respectable, it's often superior to the BBC.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    The private telivision is complete and utter wank, the Beeb is the best TV availible

:lol:

You mean televisual delights such as Britain's Worst Toilet?

:lol:

But that isn't even the point. How good, or otherwise, the BBC is is irrelevant.

I should have the choice as to whether I pay for the BBC's commercial output or not. I resent paying for Norton's multi-million salary, and I detest keeping the fascist's fascist Jim Davidson in wives through his £500,000pa salary. I am not allowed- by law- to watch any of the BBC's competitors without first paying the BBC a huge chunk of money.

Would you be happy if you had to pay Warner Brothers £5 every time you wanted to go and watch a film at the Odeon? Would you be happy if you had to pay ASDA £5 to go and shop at Tesco? Of course you wouldn't.

Why is the BBC any different?
  • Options

Certainly not in my experience, its gone down market to compete with FOX News.
  • Options

Yes, because when the Discovery Shuttle broke up, it really DID travel 18 times the speed of light, did it indeed? :lol:

It didn't break up, it merley entered a parellel Dimension.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Certainly not in my experience, its gone down market to compete with FOX News.

Haven't seen that myself. Fox News isn’t really a news channel, it’s more just a few people sat down discussing the news. It’s just like a TV op-ed.

CNN can appear a bit garish in style compared to the BBC which is pretty traditional but the quality of the journalism and reporting usually seems very high. I also find it more balanced the BBC.

Anyway the sooner the BBC loses what seems like a blank cheque from the public the better. Forcing people to fund the BBC even if they don’t watch it is about as justifiable as forcing somebody to buy the Guardian to read the Mirror. Simply put the BBC should become an optional subscription service. Unfortunately for an organisation as bureaucratic as the BBC that will take a very long time however sadly for the BBC I think it’s probably inevitable.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Yes, because when the Discovery Shuttle broke up, it really DID travel 18 times the speed of light, did it indeed? :lol:

It didn't break up, it merley entered a parellel Dimension.

Don't really remember that as I was barely following it. But surely you're not trying to criticise CNN for making a reporting blunder? Your beloved BBC has made plenty…

Still the Beeb is good for one thing at least; Neighbours which is on soon! :) Even though it's just an import I do have the BBC to eternally thank for showing it. :D
  • Options
    Yes, but when watching CNN they seem to make them all the time. Although I suppose it IS a laugh to see, makes news more interesting.

Beeb is by far the best Station on TV, the quality is greatness.

Neighbours? Don't watch soaps meself. I thought ITV was king of that, with Corrie, Emmerdale, and that other one after it. 3 in a fucking row! Mental.

And annother thing, the F1 should be on BBC again, ITV has a break after every lap or near enough.
  • Options
    True, one big plus for the BBC is no adverts. Sport/films can be ruined by bloody ads..Although then again I guess they're useful to get a drink, go for a piss, etc. I dunno, I am anti-BBC in one respect but like everyone else against it I'd miss it if it were gone...And considering ITV jus had on Real Families: My Mums Used to Be Men the BBC could be a lot worse.
  • Options
    Put it this way: when the BBC didn't show nearly as many populist low brow programmes a few years ago the nay-sayers (led by the S*n [prop: Sky TV's Rupert Murdoch]) kept saying how the ratings of the BBC were unacceptably low and that they shouldn't have to pay a licence to support TV channels that weren't very popular.

Then the BBC introduced a number of low-brow populist programmes that became the most watched and made the corporation the most watched channel in Britain, even beating ITV, the nay-sayers (led by the S*n [prop: Sky TV's Rupert Murdoch]) said many programmes had been dumbed down and that they shouldn't have to pay a licence to support populist TV channels.

What the hell is the BBC supposed to do???
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Compete in the market place like every other TV/Radio station, instead of being tied to Nanny States' apron strings.
  • Options
    But then you would have another mediocre commercial TV station instead of the best broacaster in the world, wouldn't you?

I thought one of the Tories' main mantras was "keeping what's best"...

Such attitude doesn't sound like caring much for the nation's identity and institutions to me...
  • Options

Close down?
  • Options
    Why don't we sell all our national treasures to the higgest bidder as well? It all comes down to money at the end of the day doesn't it?
  • Options
    Yes, it does.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Why don't we sell all our national treasures to the higgest bidder as well? It all comes down to money at the end of the day doesn't it?
    You're so right on this one Aladdin!
  • Options
    True Blue wrote:
    You're so right on this one Aladdin!

So all the pitcures in the galleries, all the public museums, everything, sell it all and we'd be better off as a nation?
  • Options
    Yes, it does.
    Great. Let's sell HMS Invincible to start with, some of those horrid war hero statues that adorn our streets, the Tower of London & Buck Palace (wouldn't be a shortage of rich Americans wanting to dismantle them and ship them across)... Let's sell our surviving Spitfires and Lancasters to foreign aviation enthusiasts.

What else... we have far too many warships. Let's sell some. Our nuclear deterrent is very expensive. Let's sell that one out as well- we are protected by our Masters anyway.

All our art can go as well (though I suspect you would not care much for it). Oh I know... let's sell all our real ale breweries. I'm sure there will be plenty of Continental brewers wanting to buy them and produce cheap lager there.

The list is endless...

At the end of the day, the only thing that counts is money, right?