Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

the bbc are right tools

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4317860.stm

you dont have to be a muslim to be scared of these laws, you just have to disagree with the government :s

Comments

• Options
    You do know you don't have to post every single link from the BBC website, don't you?
  • Options
    90 days detention without charge is particularly disturbing.
  • Options
    What is even more frustraiting is we did internment in Northern Ireland and it was a terrible idea. This threat really isnt very different.

Any minor civil liberties we had in this country are disapearing quickly and nearly no one cares because they will only be used on Muslim wierdo's who've had it coming anyway.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    You do know you don't have to post every single link from the BBC website, don't you?

Perhaps this is my Politics teacher, all he ever does is print off BBC politics news articles. :D

Anyway, like I said before: Police State 2000, yeah, we are here, getting closer. Oppresion seems to be the way forward. Oh well, I am right. Politics is one big circle as every system imposed upon the citizens fails, it goes full circle, we change it between them over and over.

Woo! Revolution soon then. :D
  • Options
    The BBC should be closed down and all media should be run by private companies.

Actually, the State should be abolished and private companies should run absolutely everything.
  • Options

Actually, the State should be abolished and private companies should run absolutely everything.

So it will ALL be as efficient as the Trains and busses?

No thanks.
  • Options

I’d agree that a lot of things should be privatised and a lot of things are. Although the Royal Mail still isn’t and it really should be as it’s just shit. However private companies should not run 'absolutely everything'. The police, most educational institutions, the NHS, etc - everything that isn't privatised at the moment (except the Royal Mail) should remain as they are.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    So it will ALL be as efficient as the Trains and busses?

The trains were crap before privatisation. The trains are crap because Labour and Conservative governments have never invested enough. When they were nationalised they still in comparison to say France received a fraction of the amount of investment. The tube is a "Public-Private Partnership" and is still under-funded, like it was when it was just public-owned.
  • Options

Yeah, 'cos that would ensure balanced reporting wouldn't it?

You've still yet to come up with a convincing argument on this.
  • Options
    All media companies should be bought by the State. That way there is no danger of evil foreign far right cunts controlling large chunks of the media and distorting the truth.

Much better option that all CEOs should be put against a wall and shot, all major industries renationalised and profits distributed equally amongst all workers.

Your local was running a two-for-one offer on ales today, was it Matadore?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    All media companies should be bought by the State. That way there is no danger of evil foreign far right cunts controlling large chunks of the media and distorting the truth.

PropagandaNaziStabsBible.gif
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Much better option that all CEOs should be put against a wall and shot, all major industries renationalised and profits distributed equally amongst all workers.

Your local was running a two-for-one offer on ales today, was it Matadore?

Are you sure its Matadore who's been drinking?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    All media companies should be bought by the State

You are joking, right?
  • Options

Hohoho, the truth finally comes out.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

The real problem indeed. The whole lot of people running this shit are corrupt arseholes. Shoot the lot and find some genuine people who give a shit about what they would be doing, then we'd see an improvement.
  • Options
    J wrote:
    With a state controlled Tv station there is a leaning towards the progress and stability of the nation concerned and considering this is really a one world government rather than a one government world I think it's the best way it could possibly be.

:lol::lol: oh it hurts
  • Options
    J wrote:
    Surely if all the media was controlled by private companies there would be a bias towards projecting and reporting stories that were of financial benefit to the companies owners and thier buddies?

Partly, yes. What you have to remember is that media companies are not actually in the business of selling newspapers or making news programmes - they are actually in the business of selling advertising space. They won't usually print anything that might risk offending their advertisers. Its worth watching the Noam Chomsky documentary "Manufacturing Consent" on this issue.
    J wrote:
    With a state controlled Tv station there is a leaning towards the progress and stability of the nation concerned and considering this is really a one world government rather than a one government world I think it's the best way it could possibly be.

Well you might think so, but the state's purpose is not really about the progress of the nation, its about protecting the interests of an elite.
  • Options
    You are joking, right?
    In answer to you (and Mat, and all others) yes, I was joking.

I find such answers the perfect antidote to the drivel they were answering to in the first place.
  • Options
    You know, I really dont think you were joking at all.
  • Options
    Actually I was. I can only hope you were too.

I still believe essential public services such as water, underground, trains and buses should be renationalised though. But I wouldn't want to nationalise the media or shoot CEOs- even though some of them deserve a good flogging.
  • Options
    To call the BBC "balanced" or "unbiased" is quite simply laughable.

Go and look at the BBC's reporting of Richard Bacon's latest little faux pas if you don't wish to believe me.

At least Murdoch doesn't pretend to be neutal. The BBC are a disgrace, a waste of money, and should be sold off to the highest bidder today.
  • Options
    As far as I see it, any media at all would be biased. So whats the fuss about? No source cannot be biased towards its views.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    To call the BBC "balanced" or "unbiased" is quite simply laughable.

Go and look at the BBC's reporting of Richard Bacon's latest little faux pas if you don't wish to believe me.

At least Murdoch doesn't pretend to be neutal. The BBC are a disgrace, a waste of money, and should be sold off to the highest bidder today.
    To me and indeed millions of people in Britain and elsewhere (as well as those in the industry) the BBC is simply the best media company in the world, by a long, long mile. It certainly pisses on anything Murdoch has ever produced. And I cannot thing of anything that comes remotely close. A world without the BBC in its present form would indeed be a poorer world.

But we already know we have diametrically opposed views on the Corporation so we're not going to convince each other.
  • Options
    For anyone who doesnt like the BBC I dare them to listen to Radio 4 for a week and not be interested, laugh, entertained, provoked..... it is simply put, pretty much the highest cultural achievement Britain has produced in the last 100 years.
  • Options
    Whilst I don't want the BBC to be privatised it has to be said it is not nearly as good as it used to be. Of the four current must sees for me - only 'Waking the dead' is BBC. Scrubs, The Shield and Lost are all American.

You can possibly add the previous season of Doctor Who to the list of BBC programmes, but then have to add ER, Buffy, Angel, the Sopranos and the late lamented Frasier to the Yanks.

BBC needs to ups its game if it wants to remain a public sector broadcaster

That said there is no home grown programme on ITV I've watched for ages.
  • Options
    People often overlook the fact that the licence pays for much more than just BBC1 and BBC2. Many other satellite channels, countless radio channels (including the supreme BBC4 as bong says) and by a long shot the best current affairs and most comprehensive website in the entire world.

The BBC is a unique institution. It's the benchmark for others. It's a reference for people from all corners of the globe (what other example can anyone name of a source that is looked by anyone, from Americans to Europeans to Chinese). There is nothing quite like it. And make no mistake, if it were to be 'sold off' as some people say it would become nothing more than just another commercial mediocre channel.

The BBC should be protected and cherished as the treasure it is. I find that in most cases anyway those calling for its dismissal are doing so for political reasons... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    That said there is no home grown programme on ITV I've watched for ages.

Exactly! Any commercial or public company here doesnt have the budgets they have in the US, therefore they get better and bigger shows. If you think selling the BBC will get us all the US network output combined your nuts. They get mounds of crap there too, we only see the good bits.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Exactly! Any commercial or public company here doesnt have the budgets they have in the US, therefore they get better and bigger shows. If you think selling the BBC will get us all the US network output combined your nuts. They get mounds of crap there too, we only see the good bits.

I think I suggest I don't want the BBC privatised. However as they get over a £100 from virtually each household in the country they're not poor. But they do too much. 2 terrestrial channels, 5 national radio stations, a website, plus god alone knows how many local stations and digital.

if BBC wants to compete (and it has to) it needs to look at what it does and get rid of what is peripheral. So do we need both Radio 4 and 5 or can they be combined. Classic FM is far better than Radio 3. And given the amount of commericial stations do we need Radio 1? there's plenty of local good quality stations out there - so what is BBC doing.

Same for TV. Keep BBC1 and BBC2, even News 24. But get rid of the digital channels which are watched by two men and a dog.

Also how many websites does the BBC need? The news one is probably useful, but 'Cult TV'? (and I enjoy that one). Every TV programme has its own in-depth website which in most cases are not needed

The BBC needs to get back to do less better, rather than more worse.
  • Options
    What?! Combine radios 4 and 5?! They are totally different.

I dont really give a damn about the rest of the BBC but I'd fight if they started pissing about with Radio 4.

I'd agree with you about some of the website things they do, and BBC3, but BBC4 although taking ages to get going has now started to be quite decent.
  • Options
    The only part of the BBC that is of any merit is the public service broadcasting- news, education, religion, and local radio. That is the only bit that is remotely justifiable in this age.

The BBC, as a public service broadcaster, has no right to piss squillions of pounds of my money down the drain on cunts like Davidson, Moyles, Westwood and Norton. It has no right to be buying Premiershit football. It has no right to be screening EastEnders or Fame Academy, or wasting piles of money in poncing up the gardens of pretentious morons.

The BBC should be reduced to its public service grassroots. Anything on the BBC that is "entertainment", "drama" or any other programme that is designed for viewing figures alone should be sold off to the private sector. The person who decided to waste my money on furthering the career of some over-paid arsehole on Fame Academy should be forced to refund every penny he spent on it from his own pocket. The person who decided to employ Westwood and Davidson should be executed.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    What?! Combine radios 4 and 5?! They are totally different.

I dont really give a damn about the rest of the BBC but I'd fight if they started pissing about with Radio 4.

I'd agree with you about some of the website things they do, and BBC3, but BBC4 although taking ages to get going has now started to be quite decent.

Radio 5 should then be closed down. What needs to be kept can go to Radio 4 longwave or radio 2.

And I'm not neccessarily denying that BBC4 do some alright things. But the BBC has finite resources and they should be spending them on producing excellent terrestrial programmes rather than average/quite good programmes across the board.

they need to do less better