Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Democracy in the Middle East latest: the people of South Lebanon have spoken

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    duvdevan wrote:
    I agree with The Matadore on the point of womens rights. Practices like female circumcision/female genital mutilation cannot be shrugged away by the west, explained away through moral and cultural relativism. "They" just don't understand womens rights. Let's hope we in the west could take a stand at least. Or we are just reactionaries, isolationists and not the progressives we would like to think we are.

You are however, painting "them" as being one monolithic entity. Which is stupid.
  • Options
    Bullshit. Our values are the best and applicable to everyone. Its racist to say that arabs are 'unsuited' to democracy.
    Not nearly as insulting as assuming our values are "the best". :rolleyes:

So you dont agree that having an election was a good thing?
    I didn't say that. I said that the praises for democracy the US government gives are completely hollow and meaningless... Democracy only counts for them when the "right" candidate is elected (see Chile).

And incidentally, and to make this perfectly clear, the illegal war in Iraq had absolutely fuck all to do with events in Lebanon or anywhere else.
  • Options
    Didnt people vote for anti-hezbolla candidates in other parts of the country in equal numbers?

And if so is there perhaps a thought that the country could be split?
  • Options
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    You are however, painting "them" as being one monolithic entity. Which is stupid.

I thought it was clear that "them" were the people who allow FGM as an acceptable practice. In not respecting womens rights, it does make them a monolithic block I suppose.

GWSS is right, womens equality in the west has not been fully attained. However, no-one is claiming perfection for "western civilization", it is a process that is ongoing. I would say that it is a core value but that there is still work to do and no-one should be complacent.
  • Options
    Ah I see duvdevan is once again spouting more anti-Arab myths. FYI female circumcision is not a practice one finds in any widespread sense in Arab Islamic culture, and certainly not inherent to Islamic religion. It is a practice which originated in African tribalism long before the adoption of Islam and maintained not by reason of Islamic belief but for ancient tribal tradition.

Nice try Duv, but just another lie to advance your own xenophobic supremacist ideology.
  • Options
  • Options
    To be fair, I never claimed FGM was a practice used in the middle-east, or had anything to do with Islamic anything, so I am not really sure what everyone is talking about. I was responding in general terms to matadores question about abusers of women, and using FGM as an example. I would agree that FGM is practiced widely in africa, and was not aware of FGM being an anti-arab myth.

For the geographical distribution of FGM:

http://www.amnesty.org/ailib/intcam/femgen/fgm1.htm#a3

As far as Islam goes, is a husband allowed to physically assault his wife if she is being rebellious? Or is that another anti-Islamic myth? I understand there is considerable controversy over this verse:

ayah 34 of Surah four: "Men are the protectors and maintainers of women because Allah gave them more to the one than the other, and because they support them from their means. So devout women are extremely careful and attentive in guarding what cannot be seen in that which Allah is extremely careful and attentive in guarding. Concerning women whose rebellious (nushooz) you fear, admonish them, then refuse to share their beds, then hit them; but if they become obedient, no not seem means of annoyance against them. For Allah is Most High, Great."

http://www.themodernreligion.com/women/w_abuse1.htm

As far as monolithic blocks go, the anti-womens rights tag is not really helpful. FGM is an appaling practice, from any decent persons perspective.
  • Options
    duvdevan wrote:
    As far as Islam goes, is a husband allowed to physically assault his wife if she is being rebellious? Or is that another anti-Islamic myth? I understand there is considerable controversy over this verse:

ayah 34 of Surah four: "Men are the protectors and maintainers of women because Allah gave them more to the one than the other, and because they support them from their means. So devout women are extremely careful and attentive in guarding what cannot be seen in that which Allah is extremely careful and attentive in guarding. Concerning women whose rebellious (nushooz) you fear, admonish them, then refuse to share their beds, then hit them; but if they become obedient, no not seem means of annoyance against them. For Allah is Most High, Great."

http://www.themodernreligion.com/women/w_abuse1.htm

Well it rather depends who you ask doesn't it? I'm sure some Islamists would think they have the right to beat their wives. Most Muslims wouldn't. Again, you're seeing Islam as one monolithic entity. Its not.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Well it rather depends who you ask doesn't it? I'm sure some Islamists would think they have the right to beat their wives. Most Muslims wouldn't. Again, you're seeing Islam as one monolithic entity. Its not.

I am afraid I am NOT seeing Muslims as being part of some monolithic entity, thats why I said there is "considerable controversy" over the verse I quoted. Anyone can see the sectarian problems in Iraq and understand that Islam is not a monolithic entity. Please.

How do you know that "Most muslims wouldn't" think they have the right to beat their wives?
  • Options
    duvdevan wrote:
    I am afraid I am NOT seeing Muslims as being part of some monolithic entity, thats why I said there is "considerable controversy" over the verse I quoted. Anyone can see the sectarian problems in Iraq and understand that Islam is not a monolithic entity. Please.

You are though, by even asking the question "As far as Islam goes, is a husband allowed to physically assault his wife if she is being rebellious?".
    duvdevan wrote:
    How do you know that "Most muslims wouldn't" think they have the right to beat their wives?

From talking to Muslims. How do you think?
  • Options
    How on earth are womens rights a core value of western civilisation? We still don't have equality here.

You have equality of opportunity and under the law - you're favoured in fact.

But you're not equal - obviously, men and women are different.

eta:Blagsta you'd have to talk to all muslims and ask them all this specific question and believe all their answers to know this by chatting, they're not a monolithic entity ya know..
  • Options
    You have equality of opportunity and under the law - you're favoured in fact.

So how do you explain the difference in male and female wages for the same jobs? How do you explain the objectification of women in advertising, media and society? How do you explain domestic violence?
    But you're not equal - obviously, men and women are different.

Yes we're different. That doesn't mean we're not equal though.
  • Options
    eta:Blagsta you'd have to talk to all muslims and ask them all this specific question and believe all their answers to know this by chatting, they're not a monolithic entity ya know..

Well yes, that was rather my point, brainiac. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    So how many Muslims have you spoken to about the subject, Blagsta? Most?

So are you retracting your comment about "most muslims" and changing it to muslim people you have spoken to?
  • Options
    Blagsta I don't believe there is inequality of pay between the sexes for the same jobs, I believe there's inequality of pay between employees who negotiate their salary rather than receive a standard rate.

If some individual women receive less pay in those circs it's either because they are less valued by their employer or don't negotiate as well - same for lower paid men - boohoo (oh sorry - you think every body should get the same even if some contribute less don't you?).

We're not equal in the areas we're different Blagsta.
  • Options
    duvdevan wrote:
    So how many Muslims have you spoken to about the subject, Blagsta? Most?

No, not most. But the ones I have spoken to confirm what I say. I think they're in a better position to judge than you or me don't you think?
    duvdevan wrote:
    So are you retracting your comment about "most muslims" and changing it to muslim people you have spoken to?

See above.
  • Options
    Blagsta I don't believe there is inequality of pay between the sexes for the same jobs, I believe there's inequality of pay between employees who negotiate their salary rather than receive a standard rate.

You might believe that but you'd be wrong.
    If some individual women receive less pay in those circs it's either because they are less valued by their employer or don't negotiate as well - same for lower paid men - boohoo (oh sorry - you think every body should get the same even if some contribute less don't you?).

I suggest you actually look into it a bit more.
    We're not equal in the areas we're different Blagsta.

No, we're different, but equal. We have differing abilities but we have equal status as human beings.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    No, not most. But the ones I have spoken to confirm what I say. I think they're in a better position to judge than you or me don't you think?
    See above.

They confirm what you say! Little Stalin!

I think we get clearer understanding of new cultures and religions from books than from people. The average churchgoer couldn't tell you as much about christianity as a good pile of books.

yea we're all human...well said. I'm not gonna look into it more, but if you make it easy and provide a link I may reconsider.
  • Options
    They confirm what you say! Little Stalin!

Eh? :confused: The Muslims I have spoken to tell me how they see Islam. How many Muslims have you spoken to about this? I have a couple of good Muslim friends up in Birmingham.
    I think we get clearer understanding of new cultures and religions from books than from people. The average churchgoer couldn't tell you as much about christianity as a good pile of books.

I think yer average church goer would be able to tell you how they view their religion better than any book could.
    yea we're all human...well said.

Thank you. :)
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I think yer average church goer would be able to tell you how they view their religion better than any book could.

Only if the average churchgoer is more articulate and has thought as deeply about their religion as the exceptional churchgoer who writes books about it.

I have no Muslim friends and don't consider myself poorer for it. :) Not sure I'd want friends with views that Muslims are required to hold.
  • Options
    Only if the average churchgoer is more articulate and has thought as deeply about their religion as the exceptional churchgoer who writes books about it.

What nonsense. If we were talking about complex cultural and theological issues then maybe I'd agree with you. We're not though, we're talking about people's everyday experience of their religion.
    I have no Muslim friends and don't consider myself poorer for it. :) Not sure I'd want friends with views that Muslims are required to hold.

Maybe you should talk to some Muslims. They're not actually required to hold any particular view. The Muslims I have talked to about this stuff emphasise that its all about personal choice. Maybe you should educate yourself on the subject before posting your drivel all over the internet?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    What nonsense. If we were talking about complex cultural and theological issues then maybe I'd agree with you. We're not though, we're talking about people's everyday experience of their religion.

Most churchgoers don't everyday religious experiences. For most it's a comfortable habit.
    Maybe you should talk to some Muslims. They're not actually required to hold any particular view. The Muslims I have talked to about this stuff emphasise that its all about personal choice. Maybe you should educate yourself on the subject before posting your drivel all over the internet?

I've read the Quran several times and other books on Islam. Oh I think they're required alright. On penalty of death in some cases.

I don't lie. Please don't get so personal.
  • Options
    Most churchgoers don't everyday religious experiences. For most it's a comfortable habit.

Most churchgoers will know what they believe and know what their experience of their particular faith is.
    I've read the Quran several times and other books on Islam. Oh I think they're required alright. On penalty of death in some cases.

You're wrong. Try talking to some actual real life Muslim people.
    I don't lie. Please don't get so personal.

I didn't accuse you of lying. I accused you of being ignorant.
  • Options
    >>>Mischtake, please delete this post<<<
  • Options
    Blagsta, I am fucking sick and tired of you claiming everyone else is wrong when they disagree with you.
  • Options
    dont worry Wendy, he's a know all know nothing. What he knows aint worth knowing, and what he does know, you could write on the back of a postge stamp! :yes:
  • Options
    dont worry Wendy, he's a know all know nothing. What he knows aint worth knowing, and what he does know, you could write on the back of a postge stamp! :yes:

*yawn*

Got that evidence about DuPont owning the patent on cannabis yet? LOL! :D
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    Blagsta, I am fucking sick and tired of you claiming everyone else is wrong when they disagree with you.

I'm fucking sick and tired of people claiming that they know certain things, when they blatantly don't. Morrismania has admitted that he has never actually talked to any Muslims about this issue.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I'm fucking sick and tired of people claiming that they know certain things, when they blatantly don't. Morrismania has admitted that he has never actually talked to any Muslims about this issue.

There's a difference between claiming you know something, and denouncing someone elses "knowledge" in such a crude manner as you do.
    One is constructive (whether you agree or not), the other is destructive.