Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Democracy in the Middle East latest: the people of South Lebanon have spoken

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    >>>inaccurate information on the drugs forum, a load of innacurate shite about left/anarchist activism<<<

enlighten me oh font of all knowledge........
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Old bill?

Dunno, don't think they're that obvious. All I know is that he ain't on the level.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Oh. Fair enough.

Banz0r?
  • Options
    why not back up your claims?

i have never written up false cr@p as it endangers people health. I did indeed write up that doing 5-HTP after a week-end on jack 'n' jills isn't the best thing, as 5-HTP takes a couple of weeks to get a clinical response (kick in)
  • Options
  • Options
    Link doesn't work for me...
  • Options
    Its just a link to a list of his posts as john the hippie. Do a search.
  • Options
    And who are we to enforce it upon them, anyway? We would be bloody unhappy if they came over here and decided we had to change our way of life.

Bullshit. Our values are the best and applicable to everyone. Its racist to say that arabs are 'unsuited' to democracy.
    "democracy" and the immense importance of bringing it to those "barbaric" and "tyrannical" Arab nations... as parroted not only by the governments of the USA and Israel, but by of course neocons and warmongers everywhere.

SO you dont agree that having an election was a good thing?
  • Options
    Our values are the best and applicable to everyone.

That is Racist. You think the western way of life is superior and dismiss others. You are racist.

Alot of Arabic folk beleive wester ways to be corrupt and don't like it. So their beleif are wrong, are you saying?
  • Options
    That is Racist. You think the western way of life is superior and dismiss others. You are racist.

Do you know what 'racist' means?
    Alot of Arabic folk beleive wester ways to be corrupt and don't like it. So their beleif are wrong, are you saying?

Yes. Their beliefs are wrong. If you believe in womans rights, freedom of religion, freedom of speech, democratic institutions, personal liberty and other core values of Western civilization, then you would agree with me.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:

How the fuck is that racist? At the most it is arrogant.
  • Options
    I don't think its racist. I do think its misguided though.
  • Options
    Would you like to live in an Islamic theocracy, Blagsta?
  • Options
    No. What an odd question. :confused:
  • Options
    Racist is dicrimination against a race.

You are discriminating against those of Islamic race and beleif. You are saying they are wrong.
    If you believe in womans rights, freedom of religion, freedom of speech, democratic institutions, personal liberty and other core values of Western civilization.

And oyu feel anyone who DOESN'T is wrong and inferior?

Womans Rights? Russia had it first. Freedom of Religion? It is not illegal to be another religion is the Middle East, Even under Saddam's reign. Freedom of speech? Thats limited under western societies now, by the way. As is personal liberty. Democracy is the issue we are debating.
  • Options
    Islam isn't a race.
  • Options
    No. What an odd question

Good. THen Western values should be defended. And if the best way to do that is to spread them to other nations, so be it.
  • Options
    Good. THen Western values should be defended. And if the best way to do that is to spread them to other nations, so be it.

One doesn't necessarily follow from the other. You suggested that "Our values are the best and applicable to everyone.". I'd disagree that "Our values are the best". In fact our values are pretty shite IMO. We value greed, competitiveness, competition, profit and material goods over co-operation, community and human relationships. To think that western liberal democracy is the pinnacle of human endeavour is narrow minded arrogance.
  • Options
    Defended? No. That is Offending.

Defending would be stopping another beleif, say, taking over Britain.

In that principal, Nazi Germany was "Defending" itself by taking over Europe.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    One doesn't necessarily follow from the other. You suggested that "Our values are the best and applicable to everyone.". I'd disagree that "Our values are the best". In fact our values are pretty shite IMO. We value greed, competitiveness, competition, profit and material goods over co-operation, community and human relationships.

Head. Hit. Nail.

Rearrange as necessary.
  • Options
    One doesn't necessarily follow from the other. You suggested that "Our values are the best and applicable to everyone.". I'd disagree that "Our values are the best". In fact our values are pretty shite IMO. We value greed, competitiveness, competition, profit and material goods over co-operation, community and human relationships. To think that western liberal democracy is the pinnacle of human endeavour is narrow minded arrogance.

Western Liberal democracy is the best system of government that humans have yet created. You said it yourself, you would not like to live in an Islamic theocracy.

Our values obviously appeal to humans, because pretty much the whole world would copy them given the chance.
    Defended? No. That is Offending.

The ebst defence is a good offence.

Personally I would rather we convert other peoples to our (better) way of life than wait for them to convert us to their (worse) one.
  • Options
    cos blagsta doesn't want to move ...means we invade and impose?
    your sick.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Racist is dicrimination against a race.

You are discriminating against those of Islamic race and beleif. You are saying they are wrong.

And oyu feel anyone who DOESN'T is wrong and inferior?

Womans Rights? Russia had it first. Freedom of Religion? It is not illegal to be another religion is the Middle East, Even under Saddam's reign. Freedom of speech? Thats limited under western societies now, by the way. As is personal liberty. Democracy is the issue we are debating.

Saying someone is wrong, is not the same as implying that they are inferior. Your argument is way too fat-fetched.
    And btw, he in his original statement didn't even put down others believes but rather emphasised ours. So your argument has totally fallen to the ground.

Oh, and not illegal to be another religion in the Middle East? Well, you might say so, but it sure is as hell to practice your own religion in for example Saudi Arabia - Jewish soldiers from the American troops which came to help the country under the Gulfwar were sent out on ships to pray and mark holidays, as they couldn't justify the worshipping of another belief in their country.
  • Options
    ANother question : Why are Islamic fundementalists any different from Nazis or other extreme groups? Why shouldnt they be outlawed and challenged on the world stage as well as at home? Why should the West abandon the moral high ground to abusers of women?
  • Options
    On the idea that it is racist to say that the "culture" or "tradition" of the middle east is not somehow suited to democracy...I would prefer to categorise that as the soft bigotry of low expectations. It is patronising in the extreme to imply that these countries and the people in it could not "handle" democracy. Everyone in the world wants to be free.

Democracy is not just elections. Mugabe and Saddam had elections. It is a free press, freedom of religion, equal rights for minority groups, equality for women etc, these are hallmarks of a democracy, a free society. No free society is perfect (it being made up of humans after all) but is what should be aspired to.

Arkanoid said "They, as a people, tend not to favour it [democracy]." I would like to know, how many times have people in the middle east being given the chance to express that? How could they?

I agree with The Matadore on the point of womens rights. Practices like female circumcision/female genital mutilation cannot be shrugged away by the west, explained away through moral and cultural relativism. "They" just don't understand womens rights. Let's hope we in the west could take a stand at least. Or we are just reactionaries, isolationists and not the progressives we would like to think we are.
  • Options
    Bullshit. Our values are the best and applicable to everyone. Its racist to say that arabs are 'unsuited' to democracy.

:lol: you obviously have no clue what the guy who wrote that meant. First of all, claiming that our values are the best is a racist statement seeing as how you're claiming the Anglo Christian way is the best way while leaving no room for the consideration that other culutures might have a system much better suited than ours. Secondly the argument wasn't that Arabs are unsuited to democracy, simply that they might not choose it at this point in time.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Islam isn't a race.

When people talk about Islam as a race they are associating it with the place it originated from, South Western Asia. I agree that there certainly is a distinction to be made but for the most part I think that when people refer to it as a race they are just speaking in layman’s terms.
  • Options
    Our values obviously appeal to humans, because pretty much the whole world would copy them given the chance.

and the times which people have willingly voted in Dictators?
  • Options
    Western Liberal democracy is the best system of government that humans have yet created. You said it yourself, you would not like to live in an Islamic theocracy.

Logical thinking isn't your strong point is it? As I said - one does not necessarily follow from the other. Just because I don't want to live in an Islamic theocracy it doesn't necessarily follow that I think Western liberal democracy and capitalism is all that great either.

Thinking isn't your strong point either is it? Apart from there being no evidence that "pretty much the whole world would copy them given the chance" (I think the mess in Iraq refutes that), you're totally ignoring the role of media, idealogy, hegemony, power etc in creating the desire for bright shiny things.
    The ebst defence is a good offence.

How about I come up to Manchester and smack you in the face then? Would you still be saying that? After all, you appear to want to impose your values on the rest of us. Maybe I should get my defence in first eh?
    Personally I would rather we convert other peoples to our (better) way of life than wait for them to convert us to their (worse) one.

Please try and engage your brain. It is not an either/or situation.
  • Options
    ANother question : Why are Islamic fundementalists any different from Nazis or other extreme groups? Why shouldnt they be outlawed and challenged on the world stage as well as at home? Why should the West abandon the moral high ground to abusers of women?

Is anyone here defending Islamism?