Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Semiotics for Blagsta

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    so many people chasing the wind ...
  • Options
    so many people chasing the wind ...

Better than sucking it.....
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Better than sucking it.....
    sucking it is vital for life.
  • Options
    Ah well. In 1800's America it meant dying, but I guess you weren't around then. ;)

You might struggle to find it on google, I forget myself sometimes.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Which is why semiotics is bullshit. It says "meaning" is shared and you have just shown that is bollocks.

how is it bollocks...blagsta already said no one knows how the brain can understand language...how we react to it...you try far far far too hard to understand human logic it's unreal...in reality it's very fucking simplistic..can you not realise this by now?
  • Options
    Klintock keeps saying he's shown that semiotics is bollocks - he hasn't. All he's done is shown that he has failed to understand semiotics.
  • Options
    Semiotics

http://st.kem.ru/nlp/rus/glossary.htm

This link explains why it is bullshit clearly.
    blagsta already said no one knows how the brain can understand

And I have already pointed out how it actually does.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Semiotics

there is no such person as blagsta.
    there is no such thing as the internet.
    you are only a figment of your imagination ...
  • Options
    i've taken you off ignore as an experiment*
    klintock wrote:
    Semiotics

A link in Russian? How exactly?
    klintock wrote:

No you haven't.

*I don't know why I bothered
  • Options
    you are only a figment of your imagination

Well, yeah obviously. Your name is one of the strongest of response words.
    No you haven't.

Third post of the thread.
  • Options
    Errr...
    klintock wrote:
    Not at all. Whenever I point out that words are just inventions and don't mean anything on their own you bring it up. I did a quick google and it seems to be bollocks to me but there you go.

So, anytime you fancy doing it in future you have your own thread to come to.

Enjoy. ;)

:confused::confused::confused::confused:
  • Options
    Apologies Blagsta -

MY third post of the thread. Sorry for the fuck up, my fault entirely.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semiotics

yeah I looked it up. unfortunately the idea that signs/words have more than a personal meaning is ridiculous.

To understand how language works -

I say "fire" you go inside your memory and select some representation of fire in any one of your sensory choices -

You might have seen a fire burning, smelled it, heard the crackle of it, felt the heat or any combination of these inside your mind. This is how we make sense of words. If you were synesthesic you might have tasted it as well. This happens very very quickly.

The command to access that experience does not have to be the word "fire" it can be "fuego" or "cheese". And it is a command. You have to imagine what I write in order to make sense of the words you are currently reading.

Some parts of this are stored in conscious awareness, some parts are stored in unconscious awareness, or in the different hemispheres of the brain. Each word has a meaning to you and to you alone. The fact that others have meanings which are close to yours let's you do cool things like run from a burning building or whatever. Once you get beyond stuff that can be commonly sensed you are talking to yourself alone more often than not.

I will just provide links at this point so you can verify -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformational-generative_grammar

http://brain.oupjournals.org/cgi/content/full/125/2/361

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/neuro/neuro98/202s98-paper1/Ball.html

Semiotics seems to be, on the other hand.......bollocks.

And this means...what exactly? A load of pseudo-scientific shite from you and some links that spectacularly fail to back up your waffle in any way, shape or form. Do you actually read the links you post? or do you just post anything that looks vaguely scientific in the hope of confusing people?
  • Options
    And this means...what exactly? A load of pseudo-scientific shite from you and some links that spectacularly fail to back up your waffle in any way, shape or form. Do you actually read the links you post? or do you just post anything that looks vaguely scientific in the hope of confusing people?

I am sorry?

I thought that you would be able to look at the way you yourself process language.

Or are you really saying that when you read "FIRE" you have no sound, no feeling, no smell, no sensory equivalent in your own internal experience?

Could it be Blagsta that you are that unaware of your own thoughts?

Would you like some help in this regard?
  • Options
    no, but you need help
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    I am sorry?

I thought that you would be able to look at the way you yourself process language.

Or are you really saying that when you read "FIRE" you have no sound, no feeling, no smell, no sensory equivalent in your own internal experience?

Could it be Blagsta that you are that unaware of your own thoughts?

Would you like some help in this regard?

How does what you wrote explain how the brain processes language? All you've done is write some simplistic obvious guff, posted some random links and think you have the answers. You don't, no one really knows how the brain processes perceptions, least of all someone without any post-graduate training in neuroscience and linguistics. You have far too high an opinion of yourself. Get over it.
  • Options
    Which isn't an answer, it's a dismissal. I have to do this all the time Blagsta old hoss with my more naive clients.

Are you saying that you process the word "fire" without seeing something, hearing something etc in your internal experience?
  • Options
    But you're not explaining anything. Yes, when I think of fire, all sorts of associations go off in my head. From campfires, to fire engines to a song by REM. So what? Its obvious stuff, what of it?
  • Options
    Huh?

You asked me how language worked. I pointed this out. You said that I hadn't shown how language worked. I pointed this out. Now you are saying that you know how language works and that it's obvious.

Like wtf??!!

So, I say "fire" and it triggers all those associations. Your conscious mind picks the one most fitting to the situation to repond to. Hence language doesn't evoke "meaning" it gets responses. As all "meanings" are processed (by the non dominant hemisphere/unconscious mind) and then an appropriate one is selected consciously for reponse, then signs have ALL "meanings" at the same time.

So semiotics is bunnies.
  • Options
    klintock i think you are lost
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Huh?

You asked me how language worked. I pointed this out. You said that I hadn't shown how language worked. I pointed this out. Now you are saying that you know how language works and that it's obvious.

Like wtf??!!

So, I say "fire" and it triggers all those associations. Your conscious mind picks the one most fitting to the situation to repond to. Hence language doesn't evoke "meaning" it gets responses. As all "meanings" are processed (by the non dominant hemisphere/unconscious mind) and then an appropriate one is selected consciously for reponse, then signs have ALL "meanings" at the same time.

So semiotics is bunnies.

Oh dear, you're running round in circles. You seriously overestimate your own intelligence, and you need to actually start reading the links that you post, 'cos amusingly enough, semiotics and you are actually in more agreement than you think...
  • Options
    Oh dear, you're running round in circles. You seriously overestimate your own intelligence, and you need to actually start reading the links that you post, 'cos amusingly enough, semiotics and you are actually in more agreement than you think

Overestimate? Nahhh.

What do you think of semiotics, Blagsta?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Overestimate? Nahhh.

Going by the illogical, inconsistent and badly thought out nonsense you post on here, I'd say so.
    klintock wrote:
    What do you think of semiotics, Blagsta?

I think its a useful tool for thinking about language, meaning and culture.
  • Options
    Going by the illogical, inconsistent and badly thought out nonsense you post on here, I'd say so

Does it occur to you that I know I am stupid?
    I think its a useful tool for thinking about language, meaning and culture.

Really? I think it's bollox. ;)
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Does it occur to you that I know I am stupid?

Yes. Arrogance is often a cover up for inadequacy.
    klintock wrote:
    Really? I think it's bollox. ;)

You haven't explained why though.
  • Options
    Yes. Arrogance is often a cover up for inadequacy.

Huh?

I am definite, it's not the same as arrogance.
    You haven't explained why though.

I think I have a fair few times now. Tell you what I will come up with an entirely new set of reasons why it's crap. -

Because it's arse about tit. It has everything backwards.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Huh?

I am definite, it's not the same as arrogance.

Your posting style is extremely arrogant. And I'm not really definite about anything - if you're definite about what you know and don't know, you're close minded and won't learn.
    klintock wrote:
    I think I have a fair few times now

No you haven't. What you have done is demonstrate your inability to read and understand the links you post.
    klintock wrote:
    Tell you what I will come up with an entirely new set of reasons why it's crap. -

Because it's arse about tit. It has everything backwards.

This is meaningless without further explanation.
  • Options
    Your posting style is extremely arrogant. And I'm not really definite about anything - if you're definite about what you know and don't know, you're close minded and won't learn.

Explain please. How are you interpreting my posting style as arrogant?

There is always something you can be definite about.
    No you haven't. What you have done is demonstrate your inability to read and understand the links you post.

If there is a gap, it might be between what I mean by the signs I use and the signs you use. they are the same signs, of course, but as our "meaning" has litle overlap we obviously aren't communicating much. Perhaps if you went over the posts you flat out dismissed and read those we might get closer.
    This is meaningless without further explanation.

? Semiotics says things happen in a certain order. i am saying that that order is backwards. Seems obvious to me.
  • Options
    Semiotics says things happen in a certain order. i am saying that that order is backwards. Seems obvious to me.

because you are dellusional
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Explain please. How are you interpreting my posting style as arrogant?

I've said a number of times already. You come across like a religous fundamentalist, you just KNOW that you're right, won't be told otherwise, can't see why other people can't see it and can't back up any of your points.
    klintock wrote:
    There is always something you can be definite about.

Is there?
    klintock wrote:
    If there is a gap, it might be between what I mean by the signs I use and the signs you use. they are the same signs, of course, but as our "meaning" has litle overlap we obviously aren't communicating much. Perhaps if you went over the posts you flat out dismissed and read those we might get closer.

Nope. You've completely misunderstood semiotics. I've pointed out where on a number of occasions.
    klintock wrote:
    ? Semiotics says things happen in a certain order. i am saying that that order is backwards. Seems obvious to me.

This is still meaningless without further explanation.