Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Semiotics for Blagsta

1234568»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    A tree didn't exist before it was thought up? If you're arguing about semantics and it not being a "tree" until it was named a "tree", then I can see what you're getting at (pointless though it is), otherwise, I'm fucking scoobied. :confused:
    A tree didn't exist before it was thought up? If you're arguing about semantics and it not being a "tree" until it was named a "tree", then I can see what you're getting at (pointless though it is), otherwise, I'm fucking scoobied

The perception that it was a tree didn't occur to you until you got told about it. That's kind of what I am aiming at.
    klintock wrote:
    The perception that it was a tree didn't occur to you until you got told about it. That's kind of what I am aiming at.

still doesn't mean it didn't exist as a physical entity, i'm sure there's thousands of emotions, things in the english dictionary i don't know how to say the word for it, doesn't mean i can't see, smell, touch, hear them does it?
    Pointless 6th form philosophising. It was still a tree, it still had a material existence.
    Whats this got to do with semiotics btw?
    Pointless 6th form philosophising. It was still a tree, it still had a material existence.

It didn't have a seperate identity, a sign until the division was made. It was part of a total experience until that point.
    OK, I see what you're driving at. I still don't see what this has to do with semiotics though. IMO semiotics doesn't claim to have any universal "truth", its just a particular tool for looking at language, culture and meaning, so I believe you're actually making a category error - trying to force semiotics into an area that it has no claim in...but I'm not an expert by any means.
    so I believe you're actually making a category error

Could be. I have done weirder things.
    Ok, so where are we at after 15 pages of arguing?

Sounds are digital.
    Meaning is individually held.
    True communication is not possible.
    Semiotics is rubbish.

dear oh dear. Where to start?