Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Semiotics for Blagsta

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've said a number of times already. You come across like a religous fundamentalist, you just KNOW that you're right, won't be told otherwise, can't see why other people can't see it and can't back up any of your points.

Huh? I give reasons for everything. Fucks sake mate we are what 13 pages into this and i have given it a pop all the way along.
    Is there?

Oh yeah. Even if you are unsure about something you know for definite that you are unsure.
    Nope. You've completely misunderstood semiotics. I've pointed out where on a number of occasions.

How can I misunderstand semiotics when it says that meaning is held by me. Anything I decide that semiotics is, it has to be, or semiotics itself falls. So either it does mean what I say it does, and it's bollocks, or it doesn't mean what I say it does, and it's bollocks.
    This is still meaningless without further explanation.

?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Huh? I give reasons for everything. Fucks sake mate we are what 13 pages into this and i have given it a pop all the way along.

No you don't, you just argue in circles.
    klintock wrote:
    Oh yeah. Even if you are unsure about something you know for definite that you are unsure.

More circular arguing.
    klintock wrote:
    How can I misunderstand semiotics when it says that meaning is held by me

Eh? You're arguing that meaning is held by you. Semiotics says that yes, ultimate meaning is in our heads, but there is enough overlap within the system of signs (which is a social/cultural convention) for communication to take place.
    klintock wrote:
    Anything I decide that semiotics is, it has to be, or semiotics itself falls. So either it does mean what I say it does, and it's bollocks, or it doesn't mean what I say it does, and it's bollocks.

This is gibberish.
    klintock wrote:
    ?

:banghead:

You haven't said what order you think semiotics says things happen in and what you think is the right order.

this is like debating with a 5 year old
  • Options
    More circular arguing.

But absolutely correct, nonetheless. It's like these idiots who tell me they are always inconsistent.
    Eh? You're arguing that meaning is held by you. Semiotics says that yes, ultimate meaning is in our heads, but there is enough overlap within the system of signs (which is a social/cultural convention) for communication to take place.

Given that I can change meaning of a sign for myself through conscious intervention, and that the function of language isn't to spread meaning but to get responses I reject semiotics as inaccurate.
    This is gibberish.

To you. Not enough overlap for "communication" to take place?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    But absolutely correct, nonetheless. It's like these idiots who tell me they are always inconsistent.

Saying that a = a is not an argument.
    klintock wrote:
    Given that I can change meaning of a sign for myself through conscious intervention,

Eh? You can change what "dog" means to? You can change what the Nike swoosh means to you? Nonsense. Yes, you can consciously change these things with some thought, but they still trigger off thoughts in you that you can't immediately control. And you can't change the cultural meanings yourself in your own head. The Nike swoosh has a certain cultural meaning. For some people they think of basketball, Michael Jordan and cool trainers, other people will think that, along with other stuff to do with sweatshops etc. But to say that you change the meaning is nonsense.
    klintock wrote:
    and that the function of language isn't to spread meaning but to get responses I reject semiotics as inaccurate.

I reject this statement. Language is used to communicate. Otherwise we wouldn't be here on this interweb thingy.
    klintock wrote:
    To you. Not enough overlap for "communication" to take place?

No, its just gibberish. BTW, you've failed to answer a question.
  • Options
    Saying that a = a is not an argument

I didn't say that a=a.

Eh? You can change what "dog" means to? You can change what the Nike swoosh means to you? Nonsense. Yes, you can consciously change these things with some thought, but they still trigger off thoughts in you that you can't immediately control. And you can't change the cultural meanings yourself in your own head. The Nike swoosh has a certain cultural meaning. For some people they think of basketball, Michael Jordan and cool trainers, other people will think that, along with other stuff to do with sweatshops etc. But to say that you change the meaning is nonsense.

Hypnotist. It's a piece of piss when you know how. I can change it for others to as well, let's say to make someone bark like a dog at the nike sign.
    you've failed to answer a question.

Sorry I thought it was a statement. I have no idea what answer you are looking for.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    I didn't say that a=a.

Yes you have. You just admitted that you argue in circles.

klintock wrote:
    Hypnotist. It's a piece of piss when you know how. I can change it for others to as well, let's say to make someone bark like a dog at the nike sign.

You're actually quite delusional aren't you?
    klintock wrote:
    Sorry I thought it was a statement. I have no idea what answer you are looking for.
    blagsta wrote:
    You haven't said what order you think semiotics says things happen in and what you think is the right order.

Do you need it spelled out?
  • Options
    Yes you have. You just admitted that you argue in circles.

Huh?
    You're actually quite delusional aren't you?

You are the one who sees things that aren't there. ;)

If you read this you might notice that it's a statement. You haven't said what colour is your left elephant either.
  • Options
    ok klintock is a fool and you blagsta should accept that klintock is only here to wind people up and post gibberish, and you will never get anything useful from it/him, so you might as well drop it and start arguing with someone that actually makes sense
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Huh?

You agreed with me when I said you were arguing in circles.
    klintock wrote:
    You are the one who sees things that aren't there. ;)

Eh? :confused:
    klintock wrote:
    If you read this you might notice that it's a statement. You haven't said what colour is your left elephant either.

If you can't work out what response I wanted, then you're even more stupid than I gave you credit for.
  • Options
    You agreed with me when I said you were arguing in circles.

On a small side issue yes.
    Eh?

Nm.
    If you can't work out what response I wanted, then you're even more stupid than I gave you credit for.

See this is why semiotics is bollocks, you wanted a response and expected one, but the meaning of your communication was quite different. Thank you for proving my point.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    On a small side issue yes.

Nicely wriggled there, but I suggest you go back and read it again.
    klintock wrote:
    Nm.

:chin:
    klintock wrote:
    See this is why semiotics is bollocks, you wanted a response and expected one, but the meaning of your communication was quite different. Thank you for proving my point.

All its done is prove that you're waaaay out of your depth.
  • Options
    Nicely wriggled there, but I suggest you go back and read it again.

Snap! It's unclear at best.
    All its done is prove that you're waaaay out of your depth.

How so?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Snap! It's unclear at best.

To someone who's being deliberately obstruse 'cos they've been backed into a corner.

klintock wrote:
    How so?

You put a "?" when I said that your statement was meaningless without further explanation. I then stated why it was meaningless. If you didn't understand that little exchange, then you're an idiot. The meaning is perfectly clear, you're just being pedantic because you're waaaay out of your depth. And you know it.
  • Options
    Seriously Blagsta, I just don't get what you are on about.

Any clarification?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    ? Semiotics says things happen in a certain order. i am saying that that order is backwards. Seems obvious to me.

What order do you think semiotics says things happen in? What order do you think they happen in?

I dunno why I'm bothering with this, it was quite obvious anyway
  • Options
    klintock, you are the odd one out, nobody gets what you are on about, at least i understand what blagsta is on about
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    ok klintock is a fool and you blagsta should accept that klintock is only here to wind people up and post gibberish, and you will never get anything useful from it/him, so you might as well drop it and start arguing with someone that actually makes sense

Yeah I know, but its more entertaining than Eastenders.
  • Options
    What order do you think semiotics says things happen in? What order do you think they happen in?

Semiotics says that words etc have a "real world" counterpart - that is that things that are "really there" are given names and/or signs.

I say it's the other way around, that there is nothing there until someone comes up with the concept first, and then it gets created.
  • Options
    yes klintock, you say that, but also been wrong, thats where you fail
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Semiotics says that words etc have a "real world" counterpart - that is that things that are "really there" are given names and/or signs.

Does it? Can you provide a quote? What do you mean anyway? That a tree isn't "really there"?
    klintock wrote:
    I say it's the other way around, that there is nothing there until someone comes up with the concept first, and then it gets created.

What gets created?
  • Options
    Does it? Can you provide a quote?

Do I have to? You should frigging know mate.
    That a tree isn't "really there"?

Yep. It's just a way of looking at things.
    What gets created?

Whatever you want. This is pretty simple. Man thinks of comb...man invents comb by manipulation - combs come into being.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Do I have to? You should frigging know mate.

Yes. Everything else you've said about what you think semiotics is has been wrong.
    klintock wrote:
    Yep. It's just a way of looking at things.

This makes no sense.
    klintock wrote:
    Whatever you want. This is pretty simple. Man thinks of comb...man invents comb by manipulation - combs come into being.

Neither does this. You're saying that trees didn't exist until someone thought of them?
  • Options
    Neither does this. You're saying that trees didn't exist until someone thought of them?

Quality. Yes that is exactly what I am saying.
  • Options
    You're not well.
  • Options
    I am very well, thank you.
  • Options
    Seriously, you think that the world only exists in your head?
  • Options
    No. Don't be absurd.
  • Options
    But its what you just said.
    Blagsta wrote:
    You're saying that trees didn't exist until someone thought of them?

klintock wrote:
    Quality. Yes that is exactly what I am saying.
  • Options
    They didn't exist BEFORE they were thought up.

In the case of a tree, that is a distinction that has been ripped from the totality of an experience. In the case of a comb, the exact configuration to make up a "comb" didn't exist until someone thought it up and then manipulated physical reality to create the first "comb".

The main problem with this is that you can only add distinctions, once they are made they cannot be taken away, and everyone thinks of it backwards, so doesn't use the damn procedure as usefully as they might.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Yes that is exactly what I am saying.

bullshit and you know it!