Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Semiotics for Blagsta

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Oh dear. You do know that you can only have a tree if you are not looking at branches or forests don't you? On the other hand if we changed the word "matress" for "tree" and stuck to it then a "tree" would become a "matress". The word then, is not linked to the thing it symbolises.

the flaw in your argument is that we wouldnt do that
    I was thinking of a piece of grey/blue granite with the light from above. Were you thinking of the exact same thing as I was?

yes i was, i was still thinking of a rock

and as for the language, learn to calm down you foul mouthed ignorant and looking like you dont understand a thing kinda person
  • Options
    For the last time, the whole basis of semiotics is that words don't have any meaning in themselves - that's the whole principal of the idea.

From what I have read the whole principal of the idea is that groups of people have meanings for words. Absolute madness if you can't find any two who can agree.

http://www.cultsock.ndirect.co.uk/MUHome/cshtml/index.html

People think they have agreement but unless they get very very specific that isn't possible. Also there are thngs I can become aware of that have no names and need none unless I wish to talk about them. The idea that language traps thought in this way is fine if you think auditorily but not everyone does.
    Even more gibberish. Yes, symbols don't have inherent meanings, meaning is in the structure, the relationships of symbols. If it was only you who held the "meaning", communication would be impossible.

Who holds "meaning" if I don't?
  • Options

very true, thats why as informed as you think you may be, you can stil be wrong
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    From what I have read the whole principal of the idea is that groups of people have meanings for words. Absolute madness if you can't find any two who can agree.

http://www.cultsock.ndirect.co.uk/MUHome/cshtml/index.html

:confused: Why don't you quote the passage that is confusing you and we'll see if we can help you out?
    klintock wrote:
    People think they have agreement but unless they get very very specific that isn't possible. Also there are thngs I can become aware of that have no names and need none unless I wish to talk about them. The idea that language traps thought in this way is fine if you think auditorily but not everyone does.

But you've been arguing in other posts that language does trap thought. Make up your mind!
    klintock wrote:

It is not only you who holds "meaning", otherwise, as I said, communication would be impossible. Language is a shared structure. I must admit, I'm almost out of my depth here, I don't know a huge amount about linguistics, but you appear to have drowned a long time ago!
  • Options
    This might interest you
    A number of thought-provoking statements about the nature of meaning were made by the communication theorist David Berlo Berlo (1960):

Meanings are in people
    Communication does not consist of the transmission of meanings, but of the transmission of messages
    Meanings are not in the message; they are in the message-users
    Words do not mean at all; only people mean
    People can have similar meanings only to the extent that they have had, or can anticipate having, similar experiences
    Meanings are never fixed; as experience changes, so meanings change
    No two people can have exactly the same meaning for anything

it then goes on to say
    Berlo was working rather within 'Communication Science' than within 'Semiotics'. However, much of what he has to say about meaning is close to what semioticians have to say.
    http://www.cultsock.ndirect.co.uk/MUHome/cshtml/semiomean/meaning1.html

(italics mine)
  • Options
    And this might help you with a critique of semiotics
    http://www.cultsock.ndirect.co.uk/MUHome/cshtml/semiomean/semio1.html#criticism
  • Options
    It is not only you who holds "meaning", otherwise, as I said, communication would be impossible. Language is a shared structure. I must admit, I'm almost out of my depth here, I don't know a huge amount about linguistics, but you appear to have drowned a long time ago!

Only I hold MY meanings. Unless we were to get very very specific about what I mean then my meanings are not shared.
    But you've been arguing in other posts that language does trap thought. Make up your mind!

Language does trap thought if you use it to think with. I don't - it's slow and digital. I prefer the visual system which is much quicker and also is anologue so has many more grades of experience.
    Meanings are in people

Agreed. Although changing "meaning" for automatic learned responses is nearer the mark.
    Communication does not consist of the transmission of meanings, but of the transmission of messages

Nope. Communication is accessing someone elses memory to get those automatic responses we want. Mary had a little _____.
    Meanings are not in the message; they are in the message-users

Nope they are in the message receivers. The "user" might also have a meaning but it's doubtful hey are the same.
    Words do not mean at all; only people mean

Words are a type of hypnotic "anchor" to reaccess past experience. They "mean" nowt.
    People can have similar meanings only to the extent that they have had, or can anticipate having, similar experiences

You can use language to create brand new experiences for people so that's out. You can also get specific and duplicate someone elses experiences. what would happen if you were to imagine something that is the opposite of green leather?
    Meanings are never fixed; as experience changes, so meanings change

The word that accesses past experience may change but the past experiences don't.
    No two people can have exactly the same meaning for anything

Usually true but you can force the issue.
  • Options
    Why don't you just admit that you don't know what you're on about and be done with it? Its blatantly obvious that you've backed yourself into a corner (again!) and can't get out. Own up then we can all move on.
  • Options
    Why don't you just admit that you don't know what you're on about and be done with it? Its blatantly obvious that you've backed yourself into a corner (again!) and can't get out. Own up then we can all move on.

Huh?

I covered the points raised quite well. Not exhaustive by any means, but what are you having trouble with?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Only I hold MY meanings. Unless we were to get very very specific about what I mean then my meanings are not shared.

Aspects are shared. When you talk about a rock, we both have a mental experience of certain 'rocky characteristics'.
  • Options
    So words dont have meaning in of themselves. Great.

And that affects ANYONES day-to-day life how?

This sounds to me like teenage philosophy. Really deep to those who say it but pointless in the extreme to anyone else.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Huh?

I covered the points raised quite well. Not exhaustive by any means, but what are you having trouble with?

LOL! :D Give it up klintock, you're not fooling anyone.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    So words dont have meaning in of themselves. Great.

This sounds to me like teenage philosophy. Really deep to those who say it but pointless in the extreme to anyone else.

Semiotics itself is a tool for analysing and looking for meanings within culture. Quite useful if you're into that sort of thing. But yes, klintock's points are useless, non-sensical and on the level of 6th form debate.
  • Options

You don't think that going and replicating a millionaires "meaning" of money is useful?

How about a seducers understanding of "seduction"?

How about taking a "phobic" and showing them how the unafraid have "meaning" for the thing they fear?
    Aspects are shared. When you talk about a rock, we both have a mental experience of certain 'rocky characteristics'.

Uh - huh. What about a word with no sensory overlap, like "democracy"?
  • Options
    Give it up.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Language does trap thought if you use it to think with. I don't - it's slow and digital. I prefer the visual system which is much quicker and also is anologue so has many more grades of experience.

I'm starting to think you have some kind of mild psychosis.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Uh - huh. What about a word with no sensory overlap, like "democracy"?

Makes no difference. We still have a core of the concept which will be the same.
  • Options
    Klintock does seem to be making the effort to explain himself in this debate. The responses he has had don't seem to normally equate to more than "You're talking gibberish". I've no experience on this topic myself but i'm following with interest and would like to see someone give a critical break down of Klintocks opinions rather than just dismissing him.
  • Options
    Klintock's posts are gibberish because they entirely misunderstand what semiotics is saying, don't make any logical sense, he fails to place his viewpoint in any kind of context, the posts he does use to attempt to back up his points don't actually do anything of the sort and he makes non-sensical claims about language being digital.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    You don't think that going and replicating a millionaires "meaning" of money is useful?

How about a seducers understanding of "seduction"?

How about taking a "phobic" and showing them how the unafraid have "meaning" for the thing they fear?

Yes, I do think thats useful, but what words you choose to describe those actions dont really matter as long as you are understood.
  • Options
    Can i get a definition of what you understand semiotics to be?

As i said before, it's not a topic i know anything about but i think it would be constructive to this debate and to my understanding of what you think Klintock has wrong.
  • Options
    Semiotics is the study of signs and symbols. This includes language. It makes a distinction between sign, signifier and signified. Roughly this means that a sign (a word, symbol etc) consists of the actual thing itself (the signifier) and the mental concept it creates (the signified). The linguist Saussure came up with this way of thinking in the early 1900's. He also pointed out that this system of signs, signifiers and signified was arbitary, i.e. the signs do not have meanings in and of themselves, rather the meaning arises from the system of signs and the relationships between signs. Roland Barthes and others took this forward into analysing meanings within culture such as advertisements, fashion etc. One of the reasons why I think klintock is full of shit is that he claims to have indepth understanding of how language works, yet has never heard of Sausurre or semiotics. Klintock bangs on about how a word sound/symbol creates a mental image (sign -> signifier/signified) and how these mental concepts are never exactly the same for people, but fails to see that this is what semiotics is saying! There are things to critique semiotics about (I provided a link earlier), yet klintock totally fails to engage with this and persists in misunderstanding what semiotics means. He comes across like only he knows the TRUTH about how language and the world operates, yet totally fails to actually locate his ideas in any historical or intellectual context, leading me to think that he's a bit silly really.

See here
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&lr=&oi=defmore&q=define:Semiotics
    for more defintions.

This
    http://www.cultsock.ndirect.co.uk/MUHome/cshtml/semiomean/semio1.html
    is very useful. Thanks for the link klintock and well done for failing to actually read and understand any of it.
  • Options
    Language does trap thought if you use it to think with. I don't - it's slow and digital. I prefer the visual system which is much quicker and also is anologue so has many more grades of experience

no, even spekaing is analogue
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    no, even spekaing is analogue

Unless its recorded.
  • Options
    which then could still be analogue :P

depends on if you use a digital device
  • Options
    Having just trawled through this thread for the last 10 minutes and skimmed a couple of links, semiotics appears to be mostly "common sense" and just another way of formalising the way things as common-place as language/signs are studied and understood (drawing parallels with transactional analysis as a way of formalising human-to-human communication with the aim of using it as a counselling tool).

Very interesting thread...

Ian.
  • Options
    Word.

See that wasn't analogue now was it? You can't have more or less of a word spoken.

now if i went

WORD

That might have a different effect. The different effect isn't from the "meaning" of the word itself it's from the way in which it is presented. So you can have analogue in the visual system but it's much trickier to have analogue in the auditory one. It's also much much faster to visualise internally than it is to speak internally.

Form is more important than "meaning". A person with a phobic response might be making big bright pictures (internally and very quickly) of the thing they fear (i.e. being bitten by a snake). the quickest way of reducing the fear is for them to take conscious control of those internal represntations. The most consistent way I have found of doing this is to reduce the size of the image, change it's distance relative to the viewer and drain the colour out of it.

There are many other ways of doing this however.
    One of the reasons why I think klintock is full of shit is that he claims to have indepth understanding of how language works, yet has never heard of Sausurre or semiotics

I am afraid I don't know much about flat earth theory either. Who came up with it how it works tends to be irrelevant when you know it's bollox from the off.
    He comes across like only he knows the TRUTH about how language and the world operates, yet totally fails to actually locate his ideas in any historical or intellectual context, leading me to think that he's a bit silly really.

Read a couple of histories of hypnosis, particularly Dr. Erickson's work in the 50's and Bandler and Grinders use of chomsky's ideas of transformational grammar on his technique. Especially deep structure derived from surface structures and how to get a client to recover them.

Patterns of the Hypnotic Techniques of Milton H. Erickson, M.D Vol 2 is very useful in this regard.
    is very useful. Thanks for the link klintock and well done for failing to actually read and understand any of it.

I did read it. I dismissed it as being horsehit for reasons already stated.
  • Options
    droid

Not really common sense, more a way of analysing and interpreting culture.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Not really common sense, more a way of analysing and interpreting culture.

Which is kinda what I said lol. Perhaps the use of "common sense" was a bit inappropriate in this context. I guess a lot of people now consider the Theory of Evolution to be common sense just because of the way it seems to be "right" (at least to most people ;) )

Ian.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Word.

See that wasn't analogue now was it? You can't have more or less of a word spoken.

This makes no sense whatsoever.
    klintock wrote:
    now if i went

WORD

That might have a different effect. The different effect isn't from the "meaning" of the word itself it's from the way in which it is presented. So you can have analogue in the visual system but it's much trickier to have analogue in the auditory one. It's also much much faster to visualise internally than it is to speak internally.

This makes no sense either. Written words are visual symbols, that's the whole point. You're using terms like analogue and digital without understanding what you mean by them
    klintock wrote:
    Form is more important than "meaning". A person with a phobic response might be making big bright pictures (internally and very quickly) of the thing they fear (i.e. being bitten by a snake). the quickest way of reducing the fear is for them to take conscious control of those internal represntations. The most consistent way I have found of doing this is to reduce the size of the image, change it's distance relative to the viewer and drain the colour out of it.

More nonsense. What do you mean by "form"? :confused: Do you mean the way in which a symbol is presented (the sign)? What do you mean? It really isn't clear.

klintock wrote:
    I am afraid I don't know much about flat earth theory either. Who came up with it how it works tends to be irrelevant when you know it's bollox from the off.

This is not the point. What you are arguing is very similar to semiotics. Semiotics was/is a very important theory of how meaning arises, for you, who claims to be a world expert on linguistics, to never have heard of it, is quite astounding.
    klintock wrote:
    Read a couple of histories of hypnosis, particularly Dr. Erickson's work in the 50's and Bandler and Grinders use of chomsky's ideas of transformational grammar on his technique. Especially deep structure derived from surface structures and how to get a client to recover them.

Patterns of the Hypnotic Techniques of Milton H. Erickson, M.D Vol 2 is very useful in this regard.

Give me a quick precis, I don't really have the time to track down and read it. Also try and locate your views in a philosophical and intellectual context, because they do have one (semiotics being a case in point). This is very much like how you tried to argue your own concepts of freedom without being able to locate them in a context - you end up appearing very very foolish.
    klintock wrote:
    I did read it. I dismissed it as being horsehit for reasons already stated.

You have attempted to dismiss it (which didn't actually amount to anything more than "it's bollocks") based on a complete and utter misunderstanding of it.