Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Semiotics for Blagsta

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    >sigh<
    An analog or analogue signal is any continuously variable signal

Do you speak continuously? Are you a whale? Are you doing this on porpoise?

You are silent. Sound is "off". Then you speak. Sound is "on". Then you shut up. Sound is "off"

You are either speaking - "1" or you are not -"0".

Does this get us any nearer you acceptance that semiotics is bunnies, btw?
  • Options
    but the whole discussion is that we are on about the relation between words and meanings

the question is about speech itsself, not wether we are sepaking or not
  • Options
    Whether something can be on or off has nothing to do with digital / analogue - you seem to be saying sound is binary?

Though god knows why the hell I'm replying to someone who is describing heard sounds as digital
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    >sigh<

Do you speak continuously? Are you a whale? Are you doing this on porpoise?

You are silent. Sound is "off". Then you speak. Sound is "on". Then you shut up. Sound is "off"

You are either speaking - "1" or you are not -"0".

Does this get us any nearer you acceptance that semiotics is bunnies, btw?

Oh for fucks sake. You stated that sound was digital. I've shown you that it isn't. Yes, words are discrete units, but not always when spoken, a lot of people run words together, nowharrimean? Sound is not digital, minute variations in sound impart meaning, therefore it is not digital, it is analogue.
    See, this is why I think you're foolish - you'll argue your point even when you've been shown to be totally wrong. That's the action of a fool.
  • Options
    Oh for fucks sake. You stated that sound was digital. I've shown you that it isn't.
    Yes, words are discrete units,

Make yer mind up.
    Sound is not digital, minute variations in sound impart meaning, therefore it is not digital, it is analogue.

I thought meaning was in the "sign" and not the "signifier"?
    minute variations in sound impart meaning

But you can only do one of them at once, hence it's digital. You can either use tonality "x" or not use tonality "x" you can't so both. Hence - digital.
    See, this is why I think you're foolish - you'll argue your point even when you've been show to be totally wrong. That's the action of a fool.

You've shown nothing of the sort. you are also confusing action with actor again.
  • Options
    You haven't actually read any of those links you posted have you?
  • Options
    Given that i have quoted them three times already that's a dim assertion.
  • Options
    I'm truly astounded, really, that anyone can actually be this stupid and obstinate. Its been shown that sound is not digital, why are you arguing that it is? Are you one of those people that argue black is white just for the hell of it?
    You're weird.
  • Options
    You haven't read the thread either have you?
    I thought meaning was in the "sign" and not the "signifier"?

I dunno where you got that from, its not in anything I wrote, nor in any of those links about semiotics that you or I posted. Do you just make things up to try and prove a point? Whats the matter with you?
  • Options
    No seriously, I read the links and came to the conclusion that language was a digital system. As stuff either "means" something or it doesn't it falls firmly into 1/0 processing. As you are either speaking or slient, it's a digital system. As neurologists would describe it as a digital system then I will join them.
    Are you one of those people that argue black is white just for the hell of it

Sometimes I do but not today.

Back to Semiotics?
  • Options
    Which neurologists describe language as a digital system?
  • Options
    Anyway, you were claiming that sound is digital. It isn't. Accept that you're wrong and move on.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    As stuff either "means" something or it doesn't it falls firmly into 1/0 processing.

Hang on, you said earlier
    klintock wrote:
    Stuff doen't "mean" anything, it only has an effect.
  • Options
    "pwned" is the expression, I believe :D
  • Options
    Yeah stuff either "means" something or it doesn't. I think it never does but you have another opinion.

I think that speech has an effect, which isn't the same as "meaning".
    Anyway, you were claiming that sound is digital. It isn't. Accept that you're wrong and move on.

Sure, no problem. I accept fully and completely that I haven't been proven wrong yet. Equally I haven't convincingly proved the case for it being digital either (to you anyway). Who knows, perhaps speech has elements of both. :thumb:
    Which neurologists describe language as a digital system?

None, that I am aware of. It wouldn't make any difference to the argument anyway but I had a suspicion I wanted to check out. Try google and see what shakes out I suggest.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    As you are either speaking or slient

So meaning can't be expressed with a sigh, a grunt, a snort, a laugh, a sob?
  • Options
    Oh all right then -

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:M8ypqr0e17kJ:www.ida.liu.se/~ssomc/papers/Nelfelt.pdf+language+visual+speech+analogue&hl=en
    Sign languages as well as the non verbalcommunication of spoken face-to-face interaction isbased on visual gestures of different kinds such as,manual gestures, mimetic expressions and bodyposture. These kinds of expressive behaviours areextremely well suited for analogue representation
    This potential for analogue representation is notavailable to spoken languages or, at least only to avery minor degree.

:p
  • Options
    Well 10/10 for stubborness, 0/10 for intelligence.
    klintock wrote:
    Yeah stuff either "means" something or it doesn't. I think it never does

Are you denying that you wrote "As stuff either "means" something or it doesn't it falls firmly into 1/0 processing"? If it never means anything, how can it be binary? If can only be one value, it ain't binary.
    klintock wrote:
    but you have another opinion.

What do you think my opinion is?
    klintock wrote:
    I think that speech has an effect, which isn't the same as "meaning".

Yes, meaning derives from the effect of speech. Speech is the signifier which denotes the signified.
    klintock wrote:
    Sure, no problem. I accept fully and completely that I haven't been proven wrong yet.

But you have. Read the links you posted.
    klintock wrote:
    Equally I haven't convincingly proved the case for it being digital either (to you anyway).

There is no case to prove.
    klintock wrote:
    Who knows, perhaps speech has elements of both. :thumb:

Illogical nonsense.
    klintock wrote:
    None, that I am aware of. It wouldn't make any difference to the argument anyway but I had a suspicion I wanted to check out. Try google and see what shakes out I suggest.

Are you denying that you wrote "As neurologists would describe it as a digital system then I will join them."?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

Potentiality is not the same as actuality.

I love the way the posts you use to prove your points actually do the opposite. :D
  • Options
    Oh all right then -

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:...+analogue&hl=en
    Sign languages as well as the non verbalcommunication of spoken face-to-face interaction isbased on visual gestures of different kinds such as,manual gestures, mimetic expressions and bodyposture. These kinds of expressive behaviours areextremely well suited for analogue representation
    This potential for analogue representation is notavailable to spoken languages or, at least only to avery minor degree.

:p

(Just in case you missed it the first time)
  • Options
    I saw it. It doesn't back up your argument in any way, shape or form.
  • Options
    Its also quite amusing that its a paper on semiotics. :D
  • Options
    Shall I quote some more then?
    discreet units of spoken languages
    Likewise in spoken sentences or phrases the only possible order between the words is temporally linear, whichmakes it impossible to give the type of detailed analogue descriptions of spatial properties........
  • Options
    Yes, I read it. You're using a paper on semiotics (which you think is drivel) to prove your point about languages being digital (which it doesn't say). Sorry, run that by me again, I think I missed something.
  • Options
    Yes, I read it. You're using a paper on semiotics (which you think is drivel) to prove your point about languages being digital (which it doesn't say). Sorry, run that by me again, I think I missed something.

Yes I think it's rather neat.

Do you think semiotics is drivel? That's the key point you see. It's like using the bible to argue with a priest.

There are other systems than analogue and digital? Isn't it a bit late to start introducing them now?

The article distinctly calls speech a "discreet" system i.e. a digital one. It also points out that it isn't analogue on a number of occasions.

Leave you with this little pearler from our mate at the linguistics department. -
    Spoken words, with a few exceptions have no similarity to that which they represent.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Yes I think it's rather neat.

Do you think semiotics is drivel? That's the key point you see. It's like using the bible to argue with a priest.

You're using something that you think is drivel to prove your point? Sorry, run that by me again, it still doesn't make sense.
    klintock wrote:
    There are other systems than analogue and digital? Isn't it a bit late to start introducing them now?

Where have I done that? :confused:
    klintock wrote:
    The article distinctly calls speech a "discreet" system i.e. a digital one. It also points out that it isn't analogue on a number of occasions.

You were arguing earlier that the written word was "analogue", you were arguing that sound is "digital". This paper does not in any way back up your argument, its about sign language and spoken language. Yes, it says that words are discrete units, but as I said earlier, people run their words together, innit? Words being discrete units is not the same as language being digital. In a digital system, each discrete unit can only represent one thing - we know this is not true of words, they can take on very different meanings depending on how they are spoken, as you pointed out earlier with your bizarre point about a lover or a brickie saying my name. In a digital system, each unit has the same value, always. 1 always means 1, 0 always means 0.
    klintock wrote:
    Leave you with this little pearler from our mate at the linguistics department. -

Yes, that has never been in doubt, its what I've said all along.
  • Options
    Wow. Denial level approaching critical.
    You're using something that you think is drivel to prove your point? Sorry, run that by me again, it still doesn't make sense.

Do you think it is drivel? That's the important point. I make the analogy of arguing with a priest using the bible when that's the only way to argue with him/her effectively because they are refusing all other forms of communication.
    Where have I done that?

You haven't which is going to be important in a minute or two. I was just confirming with you.
    people run their words together,

Creating a new digital word.
    In a digital system, each discrete unit can only represent one thing

yes, go on....
    we know this is not true of words, they can take on very different meanings depending on how they are spoken

Bugger you fluffed it. Each new type of spoken word is a brand new spoken word. Which can either be spoken or not spoken. I.e. it's a digital system.
    In a digital system, each unit has the same value

Yes.
    1 always means 1, 0 always means 0

And I love you spoken with an angry tone of voice always means I love you with an angry tone of voice. To say I love you in any other way is to say a different word. Which can either be spoken or not spoken, so it's a digital system still.
    Yes, that has never been in doubt, its what I've said all along.

It is? Weird.
  • Options
    After a bit of thought, I can see what you're driving at, but you're still wrong.
    klintock wrote:
    The form of "word" can have both digital and analogue qualities "Word" but the "meaning" remains constant if it is visual but cannot as easily if it is auditory.

This for instance is all arse about tit. If you're arguing that the visual is analogue, then surely a small change in the form of the visual would change the meaning and if the auditory was digital, then a small change would not have any effect on meaning. You have said "but the "meaning" remains constant if it is visual" which rather contradicts yourself and anyway isn't true, as any graphic designer will tell you. As for the auditory - as has already been demonstrated, a small change in the form can utterly change the meaning and from your earlier link - " It differs from a digital signal in that small fluctuations in the signal are meaningful."

Of course, no doubt you'll contradict yourself, be inconsistent and illogical, write things and then deny writing them a few minutes later, in fact anything to avoid admitting you're wrong.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

Do you think it is drivel? That's the important point. I make the analogy of arguing with a priest using the bible when that's the only way to argue with him/her effectively because they are refusing all other forms of communication.

You haven't which is going to be important in a minute or two. I was just confirming with you.

yes, go on....

Bugger you fluffed it. Each new type of spoken word is a brand new spoken word. Which can either be spoken or not spoken. I.e. it's a digital system.

Yes.

And I love you spoken with an angry tone of voice always means I love you with an angry tone of voice. To say I love you in any other way is to say a different word. Which can either be spoken or not spoken, so it's a digital system still.

It is? Weird.

Amazing, you've contradicted, been inconsistent. denied and everything I said you would do, before I even wrote it!
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

Personally, I wouldn't accept the premise of the Bible to prove my atheism.
    klintock wrote:

Eh? :confused:
    klintock wrote:

How can discrete units be run together? It makes no logical sense. They're either discrete or they're not.
    klintock wrote:
    yes, go on....

Eh? So tone of voice makes a different word? How exactly? Something is either discrete or it isn't. You can't have it both ways.
    klintock wrote:
    Yes.

You're crazy. The word "love" is the word "love" is the word "love". The form of it changes (as I pointed out in the post above). You're contradicting yourself left right and centre.
    klintock wrote:
    It is? Weird.

Maybe if you actually read things and weren't so convinced of your own intellectual superiority, you might learn something.