Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Goodbye to Foxhunting

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The fox-hunting debate did not merit 270 hours of Parliamentary discussion time. A bill that had received this much discussion time should be the best ever written. Yet, it ended in farce. Nor was it introduced in order to show New Labour cares about foxes. Au contraire - it was introduced to appease Labour MPs angry about the Iraq war.

No longer can foxes be ripped to pieces by hounds. So, does that mean the end of the killing of foxes? Of course not. No, due to a loophole in the law, they can now simply be shot instead. Last weekend, newspapers reported that the number of foxes killed was about the same as when hunting foxes was legal. And why? Because this law is flawed and marred with loopholes. This isn't a proper policy - just another fine kettle of fish of New Labour's making.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    No longer can foxes be ripped to pieces by hounds. So, does that mean the end of the killing of foxes? Of course not. No, due to a loophole in the law, they can now simply be shot instead. Last weekend, newspapers reported that the number of foxes killed was about the same as when hunting foxes was legal. And why? Because this law is flawed and marred with loopholes. This isn't a proper policy - just another fine kettle of fish of New Labour's making.

There is a difference though, the nature in which the animal is killed. But we wont go into that because it will spark a huge discussion. Having said that, anyone who uses a gun knows that you shoot to kill when hunting, you dont just fire off randomly, you wait until you know the shot will kill. *shrugs*
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote:
    Have a problem with the law go and vote for change. Simple as.
    Bollocks. When was the last time the people of Britain got what they wanted? This country's fucked up. The problems and the bogus "solutions" all lie within parliament.
  • Options
    Hold on a second mate... Labour pledged to get rid of foxhunting as early as 1996 and made it one of its key election promises. They won office in 97, well before Iraq and MP discontent, and have tried in many occasions to pass the bill. The one and only reason the bill has taken so long to go through is because of sabotage in the Lords chamber.

As for the number of foxes being killed, I don't think the object of the law was so much to reduce numbers as to get rid of a barbaric way to deal with the fox population.

The number of hunts will die down. Some have already disbanded. But where fox population needs controlling, I for one don't have a problem with the huntsmen shooting them, despite being a fierce opponent of hunting with dogs.

It's the method used that most people object to.
  • Options
    Bollocks. When was the last time the people of Britain got what they wanted? QUOTE]

Some would say this weekend :)

Now are you going to vote against Labour or whinge?
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote:
    Apathy wins...
  • Options
    MoonRat wrote:
    We as humans assume everything's our territory, we're that arrogant.
    thats one of the things that sets us apart from the rest of the animal kingdom ...the whole of creation is our territory.
    something of use deep underground ...at the bottom of an ocean ...the top of a mountain the heart of a jungle or deep in space ...it is all our territory cos we are the only creatures capapable of going anywhere and everywhere ...we are not like any other creature on earth when it comes to territory.
  • Options
    thats one of the things that sets us apart from the rest of the animal kingdom ...the whole of creation is our territory.
    something of use deep underground ...at the bottom of an ocean ...the top of a mountain the heart of a jungle or deep in space ...it is all our territory cos we are the only creatures capapable of going anywhere and everywhere ...we are not like any other creature on earth when it comes to territory.
    That's the Christian view of it. A view that countless millions of us don't share.
  • Options
    Humans are the most important, the world belongs to us to do with as we please.

Thats pretty much the end of it, show me a species which can stop us...
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    That's the Christian view of it. A view that countless millions of us don't share.
    maybe i should become a christian then cos an awful lot of my views seem to be in harmony with theirs.
    this was the reality i see everyday ...not some biblical belief.
    there are no other creatures anywhere near as versatile and capable as man ...simple as that ...wheres the religion in that then?
  • Options
    Are you Ann Coulter in disguise per chance?

Oh how the mighty will fall. There will be thousands of species, from little bugs big reptiles, roaming the earth (or what is left of it) long after mankind has destroyed itself/abandoned the planet.

A lot of species could stop us Matadore. Especially those too small to be observed by the naked eye.

Nature (for it is she) has Her ways of levelling things out. Always has, always will.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Are you Ann Coulter in disguise per chance?

Oh how the mighty will fall. There will be thousands of species, from little bugs big reptiles, roaming the earth (or what is left of it) long after mankind has destroyed itself/abandoned the planet.

A lot of species could stop us Matadore. Especially those too small to be observed by the naked eye.

Nature (for it is she) has Her ways of levelling things out. Always has, always will.
    man may well disapear and the ants take over ...but all the ants and earwigs in creation will never travel to the stars or even record any history of their non achievments.
  • Options
    That's true... but it doesn't give us the right to do anything we want to the planet or other species.

We don't own wildlife or can do what we please with it, regardless of what some will claim.
  • Options
    Nature? Are you some sort of tree hugger?

Nature can do fuck all in the face of human intelligence and advancement.
  • Options
    Nature? Are you some sort of tree hugger?

Errrr...we are part of nature.
  • Options
    Several million people in South East Asia would no doubt beg to differ with you...
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    That's true... but it doesn't give us the right to do anything we want to the planet or other species.

We don't own wildlife or can do what we please with it, regardless of what some will claim.
    but it does give us the power to do so ...and fortunately for the rest of nature we have mostly aconsiounce ...an awareness of right and wrong ...until we come into power or fabulous wealth it would seem ...
  • Options
    perfectly natural and nasty events could remove us from the universe in mere moments ya twonk!
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote:
    I'm not one to sit down, but this May will be the first election in which I'm allowed to vote. So no flaming me for refusing to take action, etc etc please :thumb:
  • Options
    You mention an awareness of right and wrong as a human quality. Yet no animal is capable of evil acts, senseless killings or murder. Unlike us.
  • Options
    Errrr...we are part of nature.

My centrally heated house, car and massive tower blocks built all over the country would say different.

Humanity has conquered and subjugated nature - that is the way it should be.
  • Options
    Errr...no. We are part of nature, whatever you may think. What is it that separates us in your opinion?
  • Options
    My centrally heated house, car and massive tower blocks built all over the country would say different.

Man wouldn't have a chance of subjugating nature in a trillion years if we had that time.
  • Options

you realy are a fucking twonk!
    everything you own ...every single thing from your watch to your fragile tower block ...has come from the dust of the ground.
    your cchocolate and your beer ...your oven chips and micro chips ...
    YOU are part of it all ...not some seperate entity who can get by without it.
    we have manipulated and used and abused but we have conquered nothing!
    your a twonk.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Hold on a second mate... Labour pledged to get rid of foxhunting as early as 1996 and made it one of its key election promises. They won office in 97, well before Iraq and MP discontent, and have tried in many occasions to pass the bill. The one and only reason the bill has taken so long to go through is because of sabotage in the Lords chamber.
    I'm not expressing a clear opinion on the hunting. I refuse to. Because anybody reading the fashion threads will've noticed that I was very sympathetic towards the mink being killed for fur coats, etc. I don't want to seem hypocritical, and I don't want to look like an animal rights maniac. So, I'll be content with parking myself on some barbed wire.

It's the government itself I've got problems with. No fuck that, MPs in general. Which belongs in another thread.
  • Options
    Yet no animal is capable of evil acts, senseless killings or murder

No animal is capable of writing a symphony or building a space satellite, they are just dumb animals.
    We are part of nature

Define nature please.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    You mention an awareness of right and wrong as a human quality. Yet no animal is capable of evil acts, senseless killings or murder. Unlike us.
    animals obviously don't have that awareness or desire ...we are the most powerful and capable life form on the planet ...meaning we aint going to be the best behaved all the time.
  • Options
    Define nature please.

My entire point. Without a common definition, this conversation is meaningless. What do you mean by "nature"?
  • Options
    No animal is capable of writing a symphony or building a space satellite, they are just dumb animals.
    They're not capable either of masterminding the killing of 6 million of their fellow beings; or voting Tory; or believing in mystical beings who created them out of thin air.

I'm not sure which species comes as dumber...
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Without a common definition, this conversation is meaningless.
    To what extent do you mean 'conversation'?Just this little bit, or the whole shebang? I wouldn't go that far.