Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Goodbye to Foxhunting

So, now that foxhunting is officially illegal, what's your verdict?
EDIT: Wanted to add a poll to this thread, but couldn't do so for some reason. :eek2:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    stargalaxy wrote:
    So, now that foxhunting is officially illegal, what's your verdict?

All my mates are going to carry on regardless.
    It's going to be very difficult to police.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    exactly, expect a flurry of foxhunts in protest down my way......btw it's not illegal to hunt foxes down, in fact more foxes will die, only not the 'inhumane' way :chin: ...........and police have better things to do than disrupt the rural way of life.
  • Options
    It's going to be impossible to police, within 10 minutes the horses will be a mile away over several muddy fields.

I'm sick of the whole thing, and I'm disgusted that parliament have spent so much time and money discussing/debating the whole thing when there are far more important things to sort out first.

We've got so much more that we need to be doing, police wise but now we're stuck with this fox hunting shit.
    If the government expects these hunts to be policed it can expect a rise in crime to follow.
  • Options
    lukesh wrote:
    This is issue is far from over as long as the toffs continue to whinge and complain.

That's right simple boy - because it is all about the 'Toffs' isn't it :Rolleyes:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote:
    It's going to be impossible to police, within 10 minutes the horses will be a mile away over several muddy fields.

I'm sick of the whole thing, and I'm disgusted that parliament have spent so much time and money discussing/debating the whole thing when there are far more important things to sort out first.

We've got so much more that we need to be doing, police wise but now we're stuck with this fox hunting shit.
    If the government expects these hunts to be policed it can expect a rise in crime to follow.

:yes:

I'd much prefer police time to be spent on crimes where the victims are real people. It's only a smelly bastard fox.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    lukesh wrote:
    If they just follow the law then ther would be no problem would there?

Whose they?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Killing foxes because they kill the chickens on a farm is one thing.

Killing animals just for sport is another.

I'm pro the former, but anti the latter.
  • Options
    I can't believe people give a shit, it's a fox. Whilst we're out trying to stop the foxhunters doing their thing, we're not where we're supposed to be.
  • Options
    I think police involvement is not expected to prevent illegal foxhunts but to gather information so that charges / fines can be imposed. This is one of those issues where more or less everyone has a strong opinion either way for some reason - and that's why it's hard to debate; because as Lukesh so aptly demonstrated things like prejudice and misinformation are thrown in regularly, completely undermining the issues behind the argument.

Anyway, all done now, I think overall it's a good think - if only because it pleases people. I am a naturalist and know that fox populations are kept artificially high for hunting - all other predators in the UK that cause a problem (bear, wolf) have been exterminated. Badger doesn't really do any harm, so you know. Let people get on with their illegal fox hunts because for the moment it makes them feel powerful. Thing about making it illegal is not to instantly stop foxhunting - it will continue for years - but to reduce the willingness of people to go. Gradually now people will slowly stop to fox hunt until at last there are only a few left and the police can just arrest them all or something.

But completely agree with you whowhere, foxhunting is taken out of proportion. Maybe have one or two police officers watching a hunt and gathering evidence, but no way should whole squads turn up and arresting / otherwise turning people away who are just out for a good ride. With a fox hunt only a few people actually hunt, most of the people there just turn up with their horse to follow the hunt.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote:
    I can't believe people give a shit, it's a fox. Whilst we're out trying to stop the foxhunters doing their thing, we're not where we're supposed to be.

IE banging up sick old ladies for a bit of puff.....

:wave:

Besides which, cops have been going to hunts for ages .... to keep the Hunt Sabs in check.

Yes or no?

:yes:
  • Options
    Moronic Law for a Moronic Government.
  • Options
    Moronic Law for a Moronic Government.

Moronic hobby for a moronic people......
  • Options
    Nice generalisation there....
  • Options
    At long last.

No doubt quite a few people will flaunt the law tomorrow. It'd just be an initial response. Illegal hunts will gradually die down. Don't expect to see any left in 3 or 4 years time.

Besides, now saboteurs can legally perform citizen's arrests on the hunters if they witness a crime being committed. Or simply videotape them in the act and report them to the authorities. :)
  • Options
    Nice generalisation there....

In exactly the same spirit as yours.

Bring back cock fighting, bear baiting and pigeon stomping what!!!!

Pass the gin servant.....
  • Options
    1276317.jpg

:D
  • Options
    lukesh wrote:
    So its prejudice to think that fox hunting doesn't include chasing poor little foxes and rabbits around a field, then killing them, them watching hounds rip them apart?

Please remind me what I am getting wrong about it... Cheers!

That's not prejudice at all, but you assumed that everyone associated with foxhunting is a 'toff', which is prejudice, and no matter what grounding in fact it has, is not related to the subject at hand and will only make the debate even more heated.
  • Options
    lukesh wrote:
    a tabloid.... :rolleyes:
    :confused:
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    1276317.jpg

:D

:wave:

'Come on the fox!'

:thumb: :yes: :hyper: :) :cool: :p
  • Options
    lukesh wrote:
    its digsuting... why bring violence into it?

Have you ever seen how hunt sabs behave? They should be replacing the foxes with the sabs.

This will not die down Aladdin, a lot of people I know will just carry on regardless as I said before, and I really can't see how anything's going to stop them.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Have you ever seen how hunt sabs behave? They should be replacing the foxes with the sabs.

QUOTE]

I have seen how the hunters treat the police o/s parliament and one attacking a sab with gusto on the news last night. In football they call it hooliganism, I believe. :yes:
  • Options
    imho it isnt the killing of foxes thats cruel, cause thatd be hypocritical as i eat meat etc its the way in which its done which is rather sadistic and ineffective thus being painful

in scotland since the ban fox hunting as a pest control measure ie they have to shoot the foxes dead after chasing them, means that its a less painful death than often running and bleeding to death

get my drift, ie at the moment its just a cruel sport
  • Options
    I've seen how the hunters behave.

One of my best mates use to be a sab. He's witnessed, amongst other things, women being punched, kicked and beaten, people being threatened with guns and have hounds set on them.

Very nice bunch, hunting folk can be...

As for the people who will carry on, they will be stop when they get arrested and charged, warned not to do it again, and then re-arrested and given a custodial sentence.

Won't be able to hunt much from inside a cell- not foxes anyway.
  • Options
    lukesh wrote:
    this is an intelligent debate... remember... no tabloids allowed.
    LOL... says the man who has brought tabloids into every other argument for years...
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote:
    I have seen how the hunters treat the police o/s parliament and one attacking a sab with gusto on the news last night. In football they call it hooliganism, I believe. :yes:

People I know have had death threats, damage to their property.
    I've also known hounds to be poisoned by sabs - where's the sense in that?

I just thinks it's stupid. Here we have a law which does no favours for the fox but most of you can't see that. Some of you can be as blind as luke.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    It favours the fox by ensuring that it will no longer be killed in the most horrendous way imaginable.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    As for the people who will carry on, they will be stop when they get arrested and charged, warned not to do it again, and then re-arrested and given a custodial sentence.

Won't be able to hunt much from inside a cell- not foxes anyway.

You are fooling yourself if you thnk it's going to be easy to catch them.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    It favours the fox by ensuring that it will no longer be killed in the most horrendous way imaginable.

There are worse ways.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I suppose you could submerge them in a bathtub full of acid or burn them alive, yes.

Another point that tends to be overlooked is that the threat and damaged caused by foxes has always been grossly exaggerated by farmers and the hunting lobby.

There won't be need for that much control. And when there is, there are other ways of dealing with them other than chasing them for hours and ripping them to pieces while still alive.
  • Options
    :chin: i think at the end of the day: dogs natually hunt in packs...it's natural instinct to chase something like a fox and kill it by tearing it apart... the only difference with fox hunting is the human involvement. - i don't have a problem with it personally.