Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Ken Livingstone accused of anti-semitism

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Fine enough. You just didn't mention them and refered solely to the article.
    Just want you to remember that next time you accuse Jewish organisations and the likes to use the "Anti-Semite" card at their any given opportunity, that this time it wasn't the case.

Regarding the comments, I'll say it again, they're not racist nor anti-semitic. But still worth to take up, being that it implies that the tone is acceptable in society. Which I for one, completely disagree with.
    Had anyone said the same to me, I'd do my best to make an issue out of it too.

and we know youre not a thick idiot either, we might disagree with you on mny issues but however this is a case of playing the race card to get around a perfectly fine insult, he compared him a nazi guard cause theyre the people who famously used the "i followed orders" argument

lets hope ken gets nothing bad on his name cause of this -if someone dislike his policies, then sure or his credability on his policies, but just to say "hes racist scum" without proof is proper out of order

the annoying thing about playing the race card is that it waters down the anti-racism movement which im firmly with :(
  • Options
    Fine enough. You just didn't mention them and refered solely to the article.
    Just want you to remember that next time you accuse Jewish organisations and the likes to use the "Anti-Semite" card at their any given opportunity, that this time it wasn't the case.
    To a degree. The words 'anti-semitism' weren't mentioned specifically, but they sure weren't complaining about the weather.

Point taken anyway- I'll try to be crystal clear in the future regarding what was or wasn't said.
  • Options
    I don't think he has done anything wrong. What is anti-semite? are we only talking about 'jews' because you know arabs too can fall under semites.
  • Options
    Although the term semite can include people of jewish and arabic descent, and I'm sure Aladdin can give the full explanation, the anti-semitism is culturally used to describe anti-jewish behaviour - a semantic arguement doesn't really address the issues raised here
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    a semantic arguement
    Indeed. A pedantic semantic semitic argument.

As for Ken, we all say things in the heat of the moment that we come to regret later. I sometimes disagree with his politics, especially his rampant hypocrisy over what exactly constitutes 'public transport' and his concept of his 'London' being the area enclosed within his arbitrary congestion charging zone, but he's not stupid enough to consciously say something he knows will be offensive. In fact, it sounds like his comments were entirely justified - and I fail to see how a Jew is somehow unable to act like a concentration camp guard just because of what happened during the Holocaust.
  • Options
    seems hes being done for it however i heard his fone conversation - i rate the guy hes not trying appease the paper
  • Options
    Livingstone latest

"After nearly a quarter of a century of their behaviour and tactics, I cannot say to you words I do not believe in my heart," he said on Monday.

Mr Livingstone said his comments reflected the "level of loathing and disgust" he felt "for the racism they have perpetuated for over 100 years".

He added the Evening Standard was full of "scumbags and reactionary bigots".

Go Ken :D
  • Options
    Didn't Livingstone once work for them?
  • Options
    What ever grudge he's got with newspapers compairing the journalist to a concentration camp guard is just plain stupid.

A concentration camp guard is worse than a peodiphile or rapist and deserves death or life in prison.

Does Ken honestly think thats a appropiate comparison, its a bit like saying someone who shouts "get yout tits out" at a girl is as bad as a rapist.
  • Options
    What ever grudge he's got with newspapers compairing the journalist to a concentration camp guard is just plain stupid.
    That's the thing. Jewish or not, it's plain disrespectful and downright stupid. If a politician makes such comparisons, then one would think that it is acceptable in society, which personally I am against.
  • Options
    But the level of censure against him surely shows that it is not acceptable generally on the grounds of stupidity.

The charge of bigotry however is more serious and carries a serious penalty, this is the important issue......
  • Options
    It was in bad taste but Ken did have a point. One of the better known "excuses" concentration camp guards gave was that they were just "doing their job". This is more or less what the journo said when Ken first confronted him (after the journo had been following him for a considerable amount of time, as part of the long campaign of vitriol the SubStandard has waged against Ken).

I think if anything Ken could apologise (or at least clarify) to the Jewish community at large that he was not making fun of the bloke's Jewishness (because he wasn't) but rather making a personal attack to a bloke who has been harassing Livingstone as part of a repulsive and racist newspaper's campaign against him.

Frankly I'd be happy to call anyone who works for Associated Newspapers a Nazi, regardless of their ethnicity.

The Board of Deputies of British Jews has lost the plot completely by lodging a complaint. This is not attack on Jewish people; it is a personal attack on a no-mark tabloid journo who's been more than happy to participate in a campaign of harassment conducted by a bigoted scumbag publication.

I am sorry but as I said this is actually counterproductive to the fight against real anti-semitism.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    It was in bad taste but Ken did have a point. One of the better known "excuses" concentration camp guards gave was that they were just "doing their job". This is more or less what the journo said when Ken first confronted him (after the journo had been following him for a considerable amount of time, as part of the long campaign of vitriol the SubStandard has waged against Ken).

I am sure there are many other metaphors which would fit the situation just as good if not better, yet not be totally insensitive.
  • Options
    But it is not clear that Ken was aware that the guy was Jewish when he made the first remark........
  • Options
    Also I know very little about the evening Standard, is it like the Mail then Al?
  • Options
    What's worrying is that people are unable to tell the difference between Evening Standard employees and the SS.

I'm not a big fan of the Standard or Mail (or Mirror or Sun come to that), but to compare a journalist trying to get a story to people who butchered 10m+ people seems to suggest a lack of perspective sadly unbecoming in a senior politician.
  • Options
    Just doing your job

1. Being nasty to the Mayor of London in print

2. Starving and murdering personlly a few thousand people watching them starve and be worked to death, or just killed, and then going home to a nice meal.

I dont see how their comparable.

Why didnt he just call the guy an ignorant lying arsehole or something ?
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    But it is not clear that Ken was aware that the guy was Jewish when he made the first remark........
    As said it doesn't matter.
    The remark os just bringing what's acceptable to another low in my opinion.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    It was in bad taste but Ken did have a point.

Indeed.

Concentration Camp guards were all former journalists :rolleyes:

The guards claimed that they were only following orders, something which the journalist never suggested that this was the case for him.

From what we have heard, his one crime was to dog Ken. To basically pester him.

It certainly wasn't comparable to what the guards at the extermination camps were guilty of. If Ken cannot distinguish between the two then he has a serious problem.
    I think if anything Ken could apologise (or at least clarify) to the Jewish community at large that he was not making fun of the bloke's Jewishness (because he wasn't) but rather making a personal attack to a bloke who has been harassing Livingstone as part of a repulsive and racist newspaper's campaign against him.

I think he should apologise for causing offence and I cannot understand why he seems to have difficulty in doing so.
    Frankly I'd be happy to call anyone who works for Associated Newspapers a Nazi, regardless of their ethnicity.

I repeat, didn't Ken once work them?
  • Options
    Personally I think it is a lot of fuss about nothing, I don't see why it is important.....
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Personally I think it is a lot of fuss about nothing, I don't see why it is important.....

Well why don't we all just go around accusing each other of being Adolf Hitlers and Eichmanns?
  • Options
    Indeed.

Concentration Camp guards were all former journalists :rolleyes:

It certainly wasn't comparable to what the guards at the extermination camps were guilty of. If Ken cannot distinguish between the two then he has a serious problem.
    Rather that some people will swallow their principles and try to wash their hands on anything their job might entitle, blaming responsibility on their employers.

Comparing a journalist who works for a profoundly racist and formerly pro-Nazi company to a concentration camp guard is, I'll admit, a comparison that lacks in any proportion, but in essence it is the same principle. Nevertheless, the consequences of bad journalism and working as a concentration camp guard couldn't of course be any different.

What Livingstone has done here is not unlike that 'Golding's Law' (is it 'Golding'?)you see mentioned on bulletin boards all the time: suggesting that certain acts perceived as bad or unacceptable are as bad as those committed by the Nazis. The biggest problem with this is that it lowers the tone of the Holocaust and the true horrors of Nazism- but this is something nonetheless that most of us have done at one time or another.
    I think he should apologise for causing offence and I cannot understand why he seems to have difficulty in doing so.
    Because he's an obstinate moron. I guess he should apologise to the Jewish community if they have taken any offence at the remark, even if he refuses to apologise to the journo himself.

Still, if I were him, I would emphasise that "Apologies to anyone who was offended, but as I said this is a personal matter for the journo concerned and I, not anyone else."

Another matter altogether is the journo and paper releasing the records of private altercation to the four winds with such diligence. No doubt they felt that the tapes had to be released in the interests of truth and justice and that they sought no gain or publicity from the guaranteed turmoil...
    I don't know the record of this particular journalist, but it is true that Associated Newspapers in general and the Standard in particular have been bashing Ken Livingstone absolutely non-stop for the last 3 or 4 years. And more importantly, completely unfairly in the immense majority of cases. It looks to me that Livingstone finally snapped at that party.
    I repeat, didn't Ken once work them?
    I don't know. Did he?
  • Options

A concentration camp guard is worse than a peodiphile or rapist and deserves death or life in prison.

Does Ken honestly think thats a appropiate comparison, its a bit like saying someone who shouts "get yout tits out" at a girl is as bad as a rapist.

Sorry, how does a concentration camp guard get to be worse than a rapist?

What "morality list" are you using?

:confused:
  • Options
    Well why don't we all just go around accusing each other of being Adolf Hitlers and Eichmanns?

Heh, I've been liened to them enough times, usually by US Christian zionists.....

;)
  • Options
    What are you talking about?

Not even Jewish people have said he's racist (though some might insinuate the comments themselves were anti-semitic) so do elaborate on the "racist" charge please...
  • Options
    How is he "anti Jewish"?
  • Options
    Right, so as usual you're now attempting to change the subject because you cannot back up your claims.

Explain why or how he's "anti Jewish". Or retract it.
  • Options
    Gosh you are a very confused young man aren't you?

Unless you're trying to be deliberately obtuse.

Kuntroy-Stink: "Arabs are a bunch of good-for-nothing, wife-beating murderers.

Verdict: racist

Please do point us out as to where Ken Livingstone has said anything like that about Jewish people.
  • Options
    lukesh wrote:
    Thats far from racist. Maybe a bit of realism there! .
    You are a racist and you disgust me.

Fuck off you idiot.

"concentration camp guard"
    "Ah right, well you might be, but actually you are just like a concentration camp guard, you are just doing it because you are paid to, aren't you?"

those sort of comments are disrespectful to Jewish people. Why did he have to say anything about a concentration camp? Why?

I don't see any difference between Kilroy and Ken.
    No surprise Luke, no surprise.

Disgusting :no:
  • Options
    It's not what I think: it's official.

If you really think that the statement "Arabs are a bunch of good-for-nothing, wife-beating murderers" is ''far from racist" but "realist" instead, you are OFFICIALLY a racist.

Congratulations Luke.

Please spare us any further protestations when people accuse you of racism or compare you with the occasional BNP troll who joins the boards. You're no different from them.