Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

EU panel rejects rabid homophobe as next justice commissioner

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    So am I right in saying that it is wrong for me to critisise someones belief system simply because it is of a religious nature?

Now I'll give you a little story. One of my best friends has just met a lovely girl who professes to be a Christian and a fairly fundamental one at that too. She believes in the literal truth of the bible and for me that is her perogative...nothing wrong with that.

But the difference with this girl is that she never attempts to preach to others. She accepts criticism of her beliefs with a shrug of the shoulder and a seemingly knowing smile. The main thing that stands out from this girl in my opinion (and quite obviously for me mate too), is her sense of social justice, mercy and compassion.

She aint no fucking holier than thou exponent of right wing dogmatic social engineering. This girl cares...and she cares a lot.

There's none of this go to church on a Sunday cos this'll make you a better person/christian shite. She's actively involved in projects and campaigns that would make the Historical figure of Christ beam with delight.

This is where I'm trying to come from. I respect a persons right to have freedom of thought in all manners. One thing I can't strand though...fucking hypocrisy!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    no, it would be a total waste of time.

Good comeback. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by eternalsunshine
    This is where I'm trying to come from. I respect a persons right to have freedom of thought in all manners. One thing I can't strand though...fucking hypocrisy!

Sorry, did you have a point?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Sorry, did you have a point?
    I was wondering that.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kentish
    I was wondering that.
    Read my fucking post...if you cant get a single point out of it then there's something far wrong with your comprehension skills.

Amateurs
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Kentish, the calendar is set at that because of cultural reasons, nothing deeper than that. It's about twenty years earlier in Ethiopia, for the record.
    Cultural reasons maybe, but 2004 represents something. Something important enough to become part of our culture.
    Blagsta, and he can correct me if I'm misunderstanding him, is not saying that all the religions are IDENTICAL, but that their key themes are mutual. The plot is different, the characters are different, but that is largely irrelevant, to be quite honest. The themes are the same, it's the same God, it's the same spirituality. Call it Thor if you want, it's the same thing.

In the Middle East Islam is the main cultural power. Are they wrong?
    Judaism shares most of The Bible with Christianity. Are they wrong?

At heart, I believe that it is the same God who appears to different peoples in different ways. I understand your thinking, but I disagree with it. You are fine to believe it, but I do believe it is rather misguided to think that 80% of the world is wrong.
    I understand what you are saying. It would be nice to think that we are all the same really and that it doesn't matter what you believe because all religions have the same role.

It would be nice to pick and choose nice bits of all the world's religions, but you must accept that there are contradictions enough to make it impossible to genuinely follow one religion and acknowledge another as being equally valid. Sorry if that offends 80% of the world, but that's how it is.
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    I think he's trying to imply that I'm some holier-than-thou bigot that believes in the literal truth of the Bible, and goes around preaching from a lofty tower but never comes down to dirty her hands.
    Please don't flatter yourself girl with sharp teeth. You were the farthest thing from my mind as it happens.

Your arrogance is indeed astounding...but very funny at the same time ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    It looks interesting, I may read it when I have time. I have about 6 books in my to read pile at the moment though.
    Ditto, but it's an easy read and well researched.
    I agree it tapped into something, but your assertion that we have the calendar we do today because of the fundamental truth of Christianity ignores so many aspects of political and cultural power, it's absurd.
    If we're talking culture, the Romans ignored him, the Jews hated him and he died with 12 disciples. You've got to admit, it's impressive that we measure time from his birth.
    A belief in an eternal soul.
    Hmmm, yeah I suppose so. But in seeking eternal life, all religions disagree.

Don't misunderstand me. I think every human has a spiritual dimension, so it is no surprise that religions have been established to satisfy our spiritual needs. You could argue that as long as someone's spiritual needs are met, it doesn't matter how. That's fine if you believe it. But if you subscribe to a religion that claims to be the only truth, then you cannot believe all religions fulfil the same function.
  • Options
  • Options
    I wasn't talking about you pet :)
    So who were you talking about then?
  • Options
  • Options
    I think he's trying to imply that I'm some holier-than-thou bigot that believes in the literal truth of the Bible, and goes around preaching from a lofty tower but never comes down to dirty her hands.

Which is wonderful because he has no idea what I believe and don't believe, what I take as metaphor, what I think of other world religions and what I do with my free time.
    Sadly, though, that is often the impression people get when they see 'Christians' in the media. There is always a token religious spokesperson brought in to condemn some new scientific discovery, or other liberalisation, which is not helpful for the church as a whole.

Personally, I think the Catholic church today is as bad as the Pharisees of Jesus' time. Sorry if that offends, but I believe it.
  • Options
    Ooops...double post
  • Options
    The guy that, while being a patronising git, has at least made a semi attempt to debate properly about this instead of just trolling. In other words, definitely not you and never you.
    You haven't made a single decent point in this entire thread except to say that you dislike people questioning your beliefs

Have you?
  • Options
    Sadly, though, that is often the impression people get when they see 'Christians' in the media. There is always a token religious spokesperson brought in to condemn some new scientific discovery, or other liberalisation, which is not helpful for the church as a whole.

Personally, I think the Catholic church today is as bad as the Pharisees of Jesus' time. Sorry if that offends, but I believe it.
    Hey there boy...how dare you criticise others beliefs!

Is it one rule for one and another rule for others in your world Kentish?
  • Options
  • Options
    That would depend on 1) whether you actually listen to what I have to say and 2) whether you actually ask me some proper questions instead of trolling.

Your opinion of my posting quality is worthless :)
    Lets start with numero uno shall we?

Now what have you got to say...I'm all ears
  • Options
    Hey there boy...how dare you criticise others beliefs!

Is it one rule for one and another rule for others in your world Kentish?
    :confused: Whose beliefs am I criticising?
  • Options
  • Options
    :confused: Whose beliefs am I criticising?
    Are you well Kentish?

Did you not just critisise Catholicism here?
  • Options
    Who knows. I've got him on ignore and I suggest you do the same.
    Hehehe...the last refuge of a scoundrel :)

Gulag for me next then :D
  • Options
    Did you not just critisise Catholicism here?
    Nope. Do you know what a Pharisee was? (rhetorical question)
  • Options
    Who knows. I've got him on ignore and I suggest you do the same.
    Troll or contrary or just stupid?
  • Options
  • Options
    Is that not criticism of others' beliefs Kentish?

I fucking hate hypocracy me

Get it :)
  • Options
    Is that not criticism of others' beliefs Kentish?
    No.

And it's spelt 'hypocrisy'.
  • Options
    No.

And it's spelt 'hypocrisy'.
    So you criticise the Catholic church and you feel that you are quite able to do so yet you denegrate others for doing likewise?

Now if that is not 'hypocrisy' then you tell me what is?
  • Options
    Cultural reasons maybe, but 2004 represents something. Something important enough to become part of our culture.

Missed the point. Again.
    I understand what you are saying. It would be nice to think that we are all the same really and that it doesn't matter what you believe because all religions have the same role.

No one is saying they all have the same role. Religion has many different roles, some cultural, some spiritual, some political. These all play different parts at different times and in different contexts.
    But at their core they are all saying the same thing.
    It would be nice to pick and choose nice bits of all the world's religions, but you must accept that there are contradictions enough to make it impossible to genuinely follow one religion and acknowledge another as being equally valid. Sorry if that offends 80% of the world, but that's how it is.

I was right - you're not that bright. You seem unable to draw out comparisons and comon themes and draw connections between things that might seem unconnected on the surface.
  • Options
    So you criticise the Catholic church and you feel that you are quite able to do so yet you denegrate others for doing likewise?
    No I didn't criticise their religious beliefs. I disagree with them, and particularly the barriers they place between people and God. There is a difference between disagreeing and denying the legitimacy of someone's beliefs.
    Now if that is not 'hypocrisy' then you tell me what is?
    Matthew 23 and Catholicism.