Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

EU panel rejects rabid homophobe as next justice commissioner

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Kentish
    Blaggy, you can't argue matters of faith in this manner. Accept that people believe in a living God, and maybe you wouldn't be so hostile.

I'm arguing against a particularly naive, unsophisticated and rather literal interpretation of religion/spirituality/magick.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    See above.

In your opinion.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    In your opinion.

An opinion which is shared my many people with a more sophisticated view of belief than you seem to have.
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    No, you're arguing against something which you can't understand and can't seem to accept. Stop Christian baiting now, or I'm going to report it. It went out with the Romans.
    What if I were to bait the Moonies...would that be acceptable to you?
  • Options
  • Options
    No, you're arguing against something which you can't understand and can't seem to accept. Stop Christian baiting now, or I'm going to report it. It went out with the Romans.

Look, this is a debating forum - part of debate is challenging ideas and concepts that are presented - if you feel secure in your religion, then thats great, but you cannot expect everyone to feel the same about it - or to just accept that it is what you say it is.

:)
  • Options

I do understand it and I do accept the concept - I just think that the language you use to describe it is somewhat naive.
    Belief is a powerful thing and I think that all religions are expressing universal truths, but they are not physical truths, so to say that you "know" Jesus in the same way as you know, say, your gran, is not true.
    You are expressing things too literally, when they are metaphors, allegorys for certain aspects of human experience and the human psyche that can't easily be talked about.

And no, this is not "Christian baiting". It's an attempt to discuss these things in a more sophistiacted manner.
  • Options
  • Options
    I'm not telling you what to believe or belittling you. I'm challenging your rather literal use of language.
  • Options
  • Options
    You are telling me I don't literally know Jesus. I'm telling you I do. You can think I'm insane/naive/stupid/whatever, it doesn't bother me, but I object to being told that I don't know somebody that I do know.

And I'm not even sure what this has to do with justice commisioners anyway...
    What does he look like?
  • Options
    Jesus that is
  • Options
    It has nothing to do with it.

Tatchell stormed the most important religious ceremony of the year for all Anglicans. Are you telling me that every single Anglican is a homophobic bigot who should have their religion and their beliefs trampled upon?

I don't care if someone believes in God or not, but that doesn't give them the right to do that. If I went into a Mosque and didn't take my shoes off I would be rightly condemned- what Tatchell did is far worse than this.

Anyway, the CofE's attitude to homosexuality isn't that bad anyway. I haven't yet seen Tatchell complaining about the holiday resort company Sandal's.
  • Options
    Thanks for a proper response Kermit - I'm somewhat inclined to agree with you.
    Not the same as pissing in yer gran's bed though.
  • Options
    Not the same as pissing in yer gran's bed though.

No, not literally. But it is just as disrespectful.
  • Options
    I don't think it is, but never mind.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    No, not literally. But it is just as disrespectful.
    This is a debating forum Kermit. We are all allowed to say our piece (up to a point admittedly). But if someone has the power of faith over any belief system, then they should have the power of faith to accept criticism of what ever belief system they have.

No?
  • Options
    Originally posted by eternalsunshine
    What does he look like?
    Apparently he's black or olive-skinned.

I'm not sure how this will go down in such places as the Deep South ;)
  • Options
    If a Church isn't something sacred to you then you wouldn't get it, really. But if it is you do. If that makes sense.

There's criticism and there's pointless attacks.

And there's criticism and telling someone that they are wrong for having faith.

It's all about respect, hon. You don't seem to ahve quite grasped that concept yet.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Apparently he's black or olive-skinned.

I'm not sure how this will go down in such places as the Deep South ;)
    Hehehe :D
  • Options
    Anyway, the CofE's attitude to homosexuality isn't that bad anyway. I haven't yet seen Tatchell complaining about the holiday resort company Sandal's.

it was better before they started ask whether they accpet gays or not, before all this debate happened, it was widely accepted that there were a lot of gay preists, but they had their faith and done their job well

its odd before they started discussing it, it was more tolerant, cause if you ask questions on whether to allow, it says there is a difference between the 2 groups, when really there isnt

as long as a preist is belebate i dont give a toss bout their actuual sexuality
  • Options
    If a Church isn't something sacred to you then you wouldn't get it, really. But if it is you do. If that makes sense.

There's criticism and there's pointless attacks.

And there's criticism and telling someone that they are wrong for having faith.

It's all about respect, hon. You don't seem to ahve quite grasped that concept yet.
    Well I have a belief system also but I don't sit and whinge in a corner when my belief system is challenged

What's the point of that?
  • Options
    You are telling me I don't literally know Jesus. I'm telling you I do. You can think I'm insane/naive/stupid/whatever, it doesn't bother me, but I object to being told that I don't know somebody that I do know.

Absolutly. Being told that I have an unsophisicated view of hte world because of the belief I hold is also thoroughly objectionable. You know for a fact that I am not stupid, that I do not accept things just because I've been told them. You all know that. If you don't then you need to learn to read. I know Christ, I know him personally, if you can't understand it that's fine, but belittling it is unacceptable.
  • Options
    As I said - I'm not belittling. I'm challenging your literal use of language.
    You do NOT know Christ like you know your gran - you've never touched him, sat down to have lunch with him, hugged him goodbye.
    You may however feel that you are spiritually in touch with a Christ like concept/feeling. That I understand.

Why are religous people so defensive? If your faith was strong, you wouldn't give a fuck.
  • Options
    Fiend, regardless of what you may mean by those words, the universally accepted significance of the expression 'to know someone' cannot be applied in this case. Because unless you and Jesus have met each other, you do not 'know him' in the traditional meaning.

Otherwise we should stop laughing at Bush's claims that God "talks to him" and "dictates his policy". Same difference, isn't it?
  • Options
    As I said - I'm not belittling. I'm challenging your literal use of language.
    You do NOT know Christ like you know your gran - you've never touched him, sat down to have lunch with him, hugged him goodbye.
    You may however feel that you are spiritually in touch with a Christ like concept/feeling. That I understand.

Why are religous people so defensive? If your faith was strong, you wouldn't give a fuck.
    So it's just semantics?

Do you have to touch someone or have lunch with someone or hug someone to 'know' them?

You know what GWST and Fiend mean. Like they said, you can seek their reasons for their beliefs but it is simply disrespectful to tell them what they mean by 'to know Christ personally'.
  • Options

come on blagsta, by applying this logic, why do you respond when people say hunting should not be banned and that it is okay? if you are really firm in your beliefs about hunting then you wouldn't give a fuck about those think differently. BUT NO, you have to defend your position. when someone undermines or challenges what you hold as fact and truth you get upset, likewise when you try to tell someone what they believe is wrong and a pile of pants then they have everyright to defend their beliefs.
  • Options
    I'm arguing against a particularly naive, unsophisticated and rather literal interpretation of religion/spirituality/magick.
    No, you're telling people which beliefs are acceptable and which are not.
  • Options
    this I am interested in...
    a more sophisticated view of belief than you seem to have.

spill the beans then please