Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

EU panel rejects rabid homophobe as next justice commissioner

Turbulent times at the EU, where a panel has rejected the candidature of Rocco Buttiglione as the next European Justice Commissioner.

Buttiglione is by all means an extremely nasty bigoted piece of work. A man who not only has said that homosexuality is a sin, that AIDS is a punishment from God to gays and drug addicts and that the place of a woman is at home, but who has actively opposed laws banning sex-based discrimination in Italy (so it is okay to oppress gay people, because they're evil and such) and whose views on immigration make the BNP look like the Refugee Council.

But the EU cannot ban single members- it will have to either put up with him or reject all commissioners and start from scratch.

More background info here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3734572.stm

Personally I think it's a disgrace suck fucking cunt can be elected by the Italians and then parachuted into the EU Commission by the modern-day Hitler masquerading as Italian PM, Silvio Berlusconi.

And shame too to the European Popular Party Alliance (right wing parties of Europe, of which our honourable Conservatives are if I'm not mistaken a full and active member) for actually endorsing such an evil scumbag and offering support.

Time to start writing to the EU Commission presidency and to your local MEP.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    On day Berlesconi (sp sorry) will die, the tide is turning though, I assure you.
  • Options
    And the Conservatives will no doubt be sitting there going "l;ook, told you the EU is shit!"

:banghead:

Berlusconi should have been attached a sturdy bit of hemp and throw down a trapdoor years ago. As for this lump of shit, even Griffin will think he's a bit OTT.
  • Options
    And another person who will hopefully be contracting HIV soon enough:
    But German conservative MEP Eva Klampt denied that Mr Buttiglione would let his personal beliefs influence his policy-making.

"I believe he is the right man for the right job. This is really discrimination against a man who has a personal religious belief.
    "He made it very clear there should be no discrimination for anyone, not for homosexuality, not for race or for religion."
  • Options
    Is it that Peter Tatchell that's got this going?

Vile man.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kentish
    Is it that Peter Tatchell that's got this going?

Vile man.

God, I hope not.

It'd mean I'd have to support the homophobe and mysogynist, because I cannot morally justify agreeing with Peter tatchell, yet another person who should be blowing in the breeze hanging from a stout bit of wood.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Well, actually he does have exactly one point, here
    He has also said that the reason behind the low birth rate in Europe was that women were concentrating too much on their careers and not enough on having babies.
    but the solution isn't to stop women from having carrers. The rest of what he says still reminds me of someone who comes straight from the 14th century.
  • Options
    I think just that someone who will let their personal beliefs obstruct what's good for society shouldn't be elected to a position of power. Thinking that homosexuality is a sin in itself isn't wrong, it's the reaction to it as perceived by society.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    And another person who will hopefully be contracting HIV soon enough:

Much as I might have extreme dislike for some people, I woudln't wish HIV on anyone.
    Do you know anyone with HIV? I rather suspect you don't.
  • Options
    God, I hope not.

It'd mean I'd have to support the homophobe and mysogynist, because I cannot morally justify agreeing with Peter tatchell, yet another person who should be blowing in the breeze hanging from a stout bit of wood.

Why?
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    So because gay people are more common place this man is no longer allowed to hold and share the opinion that he thinks that homosexuality is a sin? Doesn't that mean that the gays people have a free ticket to spread only what they want?
    It has to work both ways surely? Or is that just bi of me?

What makes you think gay people are more common place? Is it perhpas the fact that great strides have been made in terms of gay liberation, and that , as a result, people are able to express non-heterosexual sexuality more openly?

The guy can believe what he wants, but he cannot be allowed to ignore the achievements and push things back to the 1950's.

Allowing someone with his beliefs to be a Justice Commissioner with responsibility for human rights is like knowingly putting a paedophile in charge of a nursery.

A bad idea.......
  • Options
    Originally posted by freethepeeps
    What makes you think gay people are more common place? Is it perhpas the fact that great strides have been made in terms of gay liberation, and that , as a result, people are able to express non-heterosexual sexuality more openly?

The guy can believe what he wants, but he cannot be allowed to ignore the achievements and push things back to the 1950's.

Allowing someone with his beliefs to be a Justice Commissioner with responsibility for human rights is like knowingly putting a paedophile in charge of a nursery.

A bad idea.......

he meant openly gay people

and you cant kick someone out of a job like that for their personal beliefs, as he has said he also believes people shouldnt be discriminated upon anything like that as he realises everyone holds their own views or opinions - which in my opinion is what is needed for a justice minister :thumb:

what wolud you prefer? that he wouldnt mention what he believes thus youd never know what he thinks
  • Options
    FAO J:

Do you believe discriminating against gays should be allowed? Because that is what that fucking wanker has been advocating.

Do you want to make all abortions a criminal offence? Because that is what that fundie twat wants to do.

Do you believe that AIDS was created by god as a punishment for gays and drug users? Because that is what that motherfucker says.

Do you believe immigrants from non-Christian countries are much more prone to crime and thus should be restricted from entering the EU? Because that is what that racist piece of shit has claimed.

This goes well beyond "having religious beliefs" This is about having profoundly homophobic, sexist and racist beliefs and acting upon them, which that deluded cunt has already done in Italy. That such pathetic moron should be nominated to be the Justice commissioner is a travesty of justice. There are enough grounds for him to serve a nice little stretch behind bars for some of the offensive bullshit he has peddled.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    This goes well beyond "having religious beliefs"
    Do we even know what religion this man subscribes to?

It's certainly not Christianity.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kentish
    Do we even know what religion this man subscribes to?

It's certainly not Christianity.

It says here http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3734572.stm
    "A devout Roman Catholic said to be close to the Pope"
    sounds like a Christian to me.

Maybe you meant that he's not the same brand of Christianity as you are?
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    It says here http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3734572.stm
    "A devout Roman Catholic said to be close to the Pope"
    sounds like a Christian to me.

Maybe you meant that he's not the same brand of Christianity as you are?
    I think he meant (and I agree) that he's one of those who think they're christians but aren't, believing things that would make Jesus cry. We got a lot of them here.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zalbor
    I think he meant (and I agree) that he's one of those who think they're christians but aren't, believing things that would make Jesus cry. We got a lot of them here.

What I mean is that Christianity is not one monolithic entity like some people on here seem to think. I'm sure Rocco Buttiglione and his mates think he's a Christian.
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo

what wolud you prefer? that he wouldnt mention what he believes thus youd never know what he thinks

The fact that he said it out loud means its in the public arena, and should be responded to.

I believe he's a homophobe, I don't believe he would do his utmost to ensure that his beliefs didn't affect his job.
  • Options
    MEPs: It's very simple. Just keep rejecting the whole team until they get rid of everyone you don't want.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Why?

Because Tatchell spends his entire time whingeing about how nobody respects him because he is gay, when in reality it is because he has no respect for anyone else.

He is one of those people who thinks that respect is given not earned.

As for the HIV thing, no, I'm not being serious. Though if all the "God hates fags" brigade got it I would savour the delicious irony.
  • Options
    Because Tatchell spends his entire time whingeing about how nobody respects him because he is gay,

Is yr idea of whingeing risking his life against Mugabes henchmen in Paris, suffering ABH or again outside MOBO awards? (and CofE...)

He has guts to throw a light on black homophobia which most prefer to ignore

This Italians homophobia seems mild compared to , say Jamaica where there are gay lynchings and homo-sex is illegal. Most of the world worse than in EU by far
  • Options
    Originally posted by slade
    Is yr idea of whingeing risking his life against Mugabes henchmen in Paris, suffering ABH or again outside MOBO awards? (and CofE...)

Risking his life? Don't make me laugh.

I lost the last slivers of respect for him when he stormed the easter liturgy. I have sympathy with the viewpoint, and I believe the Church's position on homosexuality is grossly wrong, but if one wants respect one should show it to others.

Doing what he did in a place of worship was completely unacceptable.
  • Options

I lost the last slivers of respect for him when he stormed the easter liturgy. I have sympathy with the viewpoint, and I believe the Church's position on homosexuality is grossly wrong, but if one wants respect one should show it to others.

I bow to your reason sir.
  • Options
    Originally posted by freethepeeps

A bad idea.......

he meant openly gay people

and you cant kick someone out of a job like that for their personal beliefs, as he has said he also believes people shouldnt be discriminated upon anything like that as he realises everyone holds their own views or opinions - which in my opinion is what is needed for a justice minister :thumb:

and aladdin if you read what the guy said, he said he thinks homosexuality is a sin, which is a perfectly valid even if silly opinion to me, and he said "that it wouldnt interfere as peoples' legal rights shouldnt be affected by something liek that"
  • Options

he was manhandled in paris. As for dealings with gangsta rapper types, ppl have been plugged for v. little. he's v. open about his day2day movements(I met him in a Southwark Library)

more guts than most

As for the CofE, God sees all, the flock will recover
  • Options
    he was manhandled in paris.

The horror!

Yeah, he has guts, but that doesn't mean he's right.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    more guts than most

He fucking loves himself.
    It's got nothing toi do with the fact he's a ginger beer, I just think he's just a horrible slimy little man.

Anyone see him get boo'd on qusetion time the other night.
    On the topic of Harry's little scrap, he said that if Harry didn't want the publicity he should renounce his heirship. What a tit.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Because Tatchell spends his entire time whingeing about how nobody respects him because he is gay, when in reality it is because he has no respect for anyone else.

He is one of those people who thinks that respect is given not earned.

Really? On what basis? :confused:
  • Options

Why?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skive

On the topic of Harry's little scrap, he said that if Harry didn't want the publicity he should renounce his heirship.

Sounds fair enough to me.
  • Options
    :eek: