Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

EU panel rejects rabid homophobe as next justice commissioner

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Fiend, regardless of what you may mean by those words, the universally accepted significance of the expression 'to know someone' cannot be applied in this case. Because unless you and Jesus have met each other, you do not 'know him' in the traditional meaning.

Otherwise we should stop laughing at Bush's claims that God "talks to him" and "dictates his policy". Same difference, isn't it?

It's blatantly not universally accepted. I know Him personally, I know Him better than I know my grandparents. Sadly with three of them it's not difficult, they died when I was young. But I know Him better than the one that's left.

I think you will find, that I have never laughed and Bush's assertation that he bases his policy on instructions from God.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Why are religous people so defensive? If your faith was strong, you wouldn't give a fuck.

I don't care what you think. It's not a defensive thing, and quite frankly you're being terribly hypocritical by saying that. Otherwise you wouldn't be so defensive over your view on drugs.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kentish
    So it's just semantics?

Do you have to touch someone or have lunch with someone or hug someone to 'know' them?

You know what GWST and Fiend mean. Like they said, you can seek their reasons for their beliefs but it is simply disrespectful to tell them what they mean by 'to know Christ personally'.

Are you still smarting from me pointing out that sophisticated religous thinkers don't take the Bible literally?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    I don't care what you think. It's not a defensive thing, and quite frankly you're being terribly hypocritical by saying that. Otherwise you wouldn't be so defensive over your view on drugs.

The big difference is that I can point to facts and figures and situations which back up my claims - you can't. We have to take it on "faith".
  • Options
    Originally posted by hobbs
    come on blagsta, by applying this logic, why do you respond when people say hunting should not be banned and that it is okay? if you are really firm in your beliefs about hunting then you wouldn't give a fuck about those think differently. BUT NO, you have to defend your position. when someone undermines or challenges what you hold as fact and truth you get upset, likewise when you try to tell someone what they believe is wrong and a pile of pants then they have everyright to defend their beliefs.

Again, I can point to facts, figures and situations in the real world to back up my claims.
  • Options
    Are you still smarting from me pointing out that sophisticated religous thinkers don't take the Bible literally?

In your opinion.
  • Options

so, who are these sophisticated religous thinkers?

lets have some facts figures and situations from the real world
  • Options
    Sorry to say Friend, if you dont laugh at such assertions by Bush whilst recognising his utter affront to biblical injunctions against lying (repeatedly exposed), bearing false witness (again repeatedly exposed) and parading one's (supposed) righteousness for all the world to see (demonstrable with Bush and his claims of waging war at God's behest) then you, like Bush need to go back and review your biblical teachings.

In the words of Christ himself: (Matthew 7:20-23)

So by their fruits you will know them.
    "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven.
    Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name? Did we not drive out demons in your name? Did we not do mighty deeds in your name?'
    Then I will declare to them solemnly, 'I never knew you. Depart from me, you evildoers.'

A liar who sanctions wars of aggression against non-threatening nations, advocates the use of detention without charge nor recourse to due process of law, and who continues to coddle the rich elites from whom he too will profit at the expense of the poor and disenfranchised is indeed an evildoer by Christ's own standards.

If he is hearing any voices at all its either the result of his long untreated substance abuses or else the principalities and powers of this world to which Christ also referred.
  • Options
    Hardly. You are confusing religion with Christianity.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Sounds fair enough to me.

And you think that will mean the press will leave him alone? :lol:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Re: this I am interested in...
    spill the beans then please

There are similarities to be drawn between religion, myth, psychoanalysis, magick etc. They are not literal truths, in the way that physics etc is. Rather they are stories, metaphors etc to try and understand and explain certain aspects of human experience (interior life, love, beauty, transcendence etc) that can't be measured in a rational materialist way.
    Belief can be very powerful - people kill for it, people sacrifice themselves for it. But if Christianity is right, then all the other religions are wrong. But Muslims think they are right and Christianity is wrong, where does that leave us? And what about Hindu's, Jews etc?
    I think that all relgions are expressing certain truths, but these are not to be taken literally - they are metaphors, stories to express things that can't be expressed in other ways.
    Belief is a tool, not to be taken too literally. All the religions are differing approaches to trying to explain/express things which cannot be expressed. None of these belief systems are literally "true" however, they are merely approximations, models of an inepxressible truth.
  • Options
    so, who are these sophisticated religous thinkers?

lets have some facts figures and situations from the real world

I pointed them out on another thread - do a search.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    In your opinion.

I give up. You're too blinded by your faith to think critically about it. But ask yourself this - why are you a Christian? If you'd been born somewhere else, you'd probably have a different religion.
    So its all down to chance really, isn't it?
  • Options
    Hardly. You are confusing religion with Christianity.

What? :confused:
  • Options
    They are not literal truths, in the way that physics etc is.
    Now that is interesting. How can you believe that Physics is a literal truth unless you have some understanding of it? Likewise, you would not understand that a follower of Jesus believes his teachings to be literal truth as recorded in the Bible unless you had a similar knowledge. How is physics a literal truth, and the Bible not? Just the age of the text?
    But if Christianity is right, then all the other religions are wrong. But Muslims think they are right and Christianity is wrong, where does that leave us? And what about Hindu's, Jews etc?
    It means there are a lot of people who are seeking God and not finding him.
    None of these belief systems are literally "true" however, they are merely approximations, models of an inepxressible truth.
    Again, that is your opinion based on your knowledge. Not everyone will agree with you.
  • Options
    What? :confused:
    Religiosity is a barrier to God which Jesus was sent to earth to break down.

Christianity is labelled as a religion, but at its heart is the grace of God which does not depend on human deeds, rituals etc.
  • Options
    Now that is interesting. How can you believe that Physics is a literal truth unless you have some understanding of it? Likewise, you would not understand that a follower of Jesus believes his teachings to be literal truth as recorded in the Bible unless you had a similar knowledge. How is physics a literal truth, and the Bible not? Just the age of the text?

:banghead:

I have studied physics and I have studied the Bible.
    If physics wasn't a literal measurable thing (although the concept of scientific "truth", is admittedly, a slippery one), we wouldn't be here chatting on this interweb thing would we? Or is it powered by Jesus?
    It means there are a lot of people who are seeking God and not finding him.

Such arrogance! So you are right and millions of people are wrong? What if you'd been born into a Muslim family?
    Again, that is your opinion based on your knowledge. Not everyone will agree with you.

Based on knowledge, experience, reading about religion and belief, going to church when I was younger, chatting to people from all different religions etc
  • Options
    Religiosity is a barrier to God which Jesus was sent to earth to break down.

Didn't do a very good job, did he?
    Christianity is labelled as a religion, but at its heart is the grace of God which does not depend on human deeds, rituals etc.

As I said - all religions are expressing the same things at their heart.
  • Options
    I'm sure several billion people will disagree with you Kentish. For them Christianity will be simply 'a religion'- and those who belong to other faiths will see it as the wrong one as well.

Why oh why do most religious people pretend that their beliefs are beyond questioning?
  • Options
    If I were to say that Santa was real and that I actually know him, would you slap me around the face with a wet kipper or would you accept my belief system as being fact because I say so?

This is just getting silly now
  • Options
    :banghead:

I have studied physics and I have studied the Bible.
    If physics wasn't a literal measurable thing (although the concept of scientific "truth", is admittedly, a slippery one), we wouldn't be here chatting on this interweb thing would we? Or is it powered by Jesus?
    The point was that you have no knowledge of how physics works unless you have knowledge of it from someone. You accept that as truth even though you yourself cannot prove how electricity works. I have no idea how the interweb works, but I believe in the physics behind it. If someone has experience of a living God working in their life, surely you can accept that as evidence that God exists.
    Such arrogance! So you are right and millions of people are wrong? What if you'd been born into a Muslim family?
    You aren't born into a religion you know. Arrogance is a standard argument but there wouldn't be much point believing something that contradicts other things and then saying that they are all true (in their own way).
    Based on knowledge, experience, reading about religion and belief, going to church when I was younger, chatting to people from all different religions etc
    Fine, but your experiences will differ from other people's. Accept it. That doesn't make you right and them wrong.
  • Options
    Didn't do a very good job, did he?
    How do you mean?
    As I said - all religions are expressing the same things at their heart.
    No, they are not.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    I'm sure several billion people will disagree with you Kentish. For them Christianity will be simply 'a religion'- and those who belong to other faiths will see it as the wrong one as well.
    Of course.
  • Options
    If I believe that there are aliens in the centre of the earth (which is flat by the way) and that these aliens are kidnapping us hybrids of the sons of Zeus on a daily basis in order to transcend the laws of the universe because they want to. Would my belief (faith) system be acceptable to you? Or would you slap me about the face with a wet Kipper?

I think we should be told.
  • Options
    Oh and before anyone starts...prove to me that the earth is not flat.

So there!
  • Options
    The point was that you have no knowledge of how physics works unless you have knowledge of it from someone. You accept that as truth even though you yourself cannot prove how electricity works. I have no idea how the interweb works, but I believe in the physics behind it. If someone has experience of a living God working in their life, surely you can accept that as evidence that God exists.

You aren't born into a religion you know. Arrogance is a standard argument but there wouldn't be much point believing something that contradicts other things and then saying that they are all true (in their own way).

Fine, but your experiences will differ from other people's. Accept it. That doesn't make you right and them wrong.

actually most physics comes from mechanics, experimentally derivied relationships between things, and statistical mathematics combined
  • Options
    Originally posted by eternalsunshine
    If I believe that there are aliens in the centre of the earth (which is flat by the way) and that these aliens are kidnapping us hybrids of the sons of Zeus on a daily basis in order to transcend the laws of the universe because they want to. Would my belief (faith) system be acceptable to you? Or would you slap me about the face with a wet Kipper?

I think we should be told.
    It's all to do with evidence. The Bible is a Christian's evidence. But it's more than that. If you believe humans have a spiritual dimension (which I'd argue most people do), then you should be able to accept that some will believe in God. If someone believes in God, they must have some basis for the belief.

It's one thing to question, it's another to deny someone else's experiences as entirely false.
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    actually most physics comes from mechanics, experimentally derivied relationships between things, and statistical mathematics combined
    What's your point?

You still need to be taught.
  • Options
    It's all to do with evidence. The Bible is a Christian's evidence. But it's more than that. If you believe humans have a spiritual dimension (which I'd argue most people do), then you should be able to accept that some will believe in God. If someone believes in God, they must have some basis for the belief.

It's one thing to question, it's another to deny someone else's experiences as entirely false.
    But it's a qualitative experience Kentish...it cannot be objectively measured. This is the whole point. If someone says they 'believe' in something then yeah fair enough. But one thing's for sure, it shouldn't ever be expected to become an automatic barrier to shut other people up who do not believe in that something or other.

As I said before...this is just getting silly.

Oh and prove to me that the tooth fairy doesn't exist, cos I can tell you this much, I know one of them and his name is Oscar. He helped me to pick some shrooms in the forest a few weeks back.
  • Options
    Originally posted by eternalsunshine
    But it's a qualitative experience Kentish...it cannot be objectively measured. This is the whole point. If someone says they 'believe' in something then yeah fair enough. But one thing's for sure, it shouldn't ever be expected to become an automatic barrier to shut other people up who do not believe in that something or other.
    I don't know what you mean by a barrier. What barrier?
    Surely if you believe what it says in a physics textbook, you can understand why people believe what is written in the Bible?
    As I said before...this is just getting silly.

Oh and prove to me that the tooth fairy doesn't exist, cos I can tell you this much, I know one of them and his name is Oscar. He helped me to pick some shrooms in the forest a few weeks back.
    Put a colon after silly and I'd agree with you.