Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

EU panel rejects rabid homophobe as next justice commissioner

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Isn't it funny how practically all Virgin Mary's apparitions happen in Catholic countries? ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    You Don't Know About My Culture.

Tell me about it then.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    It is a product of the culture around you. If the culture around you was primarily Muslim, that is what you would be.
    And you know it, no matter how much you protest that you don't.

Of course religion is cultural, but that is largely irrelevant. All the religions (even Paganism) roughly say the same things in roughly the same order- the names are changed, but so what? It's arguing over semantics, more than anything; whether you think Jesus was a prophet (as the Jews and the Muslims believe) or if he's the Son of God, it doesn't make a huge difference.

It's the same belief, in my opinion, it is just translated differently. That is cultural.

What is it with religion that turns otherwise bright, intelligent and enquiring people into gullible idiots?

I take issue with this though.

The one thing that annoys me about so many atheists is that they are normally respectful of culture, respectful of other peoples' beliefs, respectful of what people hold dear. But mention the word "Jesus" and suddenly they start frothing at the mouth, saying that it's all a con, it's all stupid, that what that person believe sin deeply is a crock of shit.

I couldn't care less what you, or anyone else, believes about the existence of God/Allah/a lump if green putty/other. I really couldn't. But when my beliefs start getting mocked and ridiculed it bothers me, because it is always from someone who normally preaches tolerance and humility. Or at least they claim to.

Aladdin and the newest n00b mongs are worst for this: I believe in the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost. I allow you to believe what you want- if you want to worship a stone or a lump of putty then you do so. Believe in none of it, I don't care. But I am fed up of my belief and my religion being ridiculed simply because. Say you disagree with me, that's fine, but I deeply resent the "you believe in God? You're a FUCKING STUPID FUCKING IDIOT!!!" mentality that seems prevalent on this board.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Of course religion is cultural, but that is largely irrelevant. All the religions (even Paganism) roughly say the same things in roughly the same order- the names are changed, but so what? It's arguing over semantics, more than anything; whether you think Jesus was a prophet (as the Jews and the Muslims believe) or if he's the Son of God, it doesn't make a huge difference.

It's the same belief, in my opinion, it is just translated differently. That is cultural.

Yes, that's what I said. But some Christians on here disagreed with me.

And I'm far from an atheist. But it does rile me that some people refuse to think critically about their religion, they seem to believe exactly what they've been told without attempting to gain a wider and deeper understanding.
  • Options
    And I'm far from an atheist. But it does rile me that some people refuse to think critically about their religion, they seem to believe exactly what they've been told without attempting to gain a wider and deeper understanding.

I think that is fair enough, really.

I'm grounded in Catholicism, but there is so much that I disagree with the Church on now it's not even funny. The sex cover-ups, the mysogyny, the homophobia, it's disgraceful. And it's stupid- the Church would be a far stronger, and a far better community if it accepted everyone, instead of building up stupid rules about sex and about sexuality and gender.

I had sex before marriage, with more than one person, and used contraception. How evil am I? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Oh come on, I know you're not really this stupid, so why pretend to be?
    Don't be cheap.
    Physics is based on hypotheses and repeatable experiments to test those hypotheses. So knowledge can be tested.
    Religion is not the same.
    It's not the same - I wasn't suggesting the two were comparable. But as physics is all based on hypothesis and experiment, perhaps you will agree that hearing how someone has been affected by a religious encounter is an equivalent and no less valid.
    Most people are actually born into religions I think you'll find. If it doesn't come from your family, it comes from the culture around you.
    Again, you're getting confused between an individual's religious faith and cultural religion. They are distinct and not necessarily mutually dependent.
    What makes you so sure you are right? And that everyone else is wrong?
    They don't contradict each other anyway - at their core, all religions pretty much say the same things.
    You're getting bogged down in windown dressing.
    If you really understood what each religion says, you would acknowledge that religions have fundamental differences that are contradictory. Of course there are similarities: for example, muslims believe in one God, in Jesus and in judgement. But that doesn't make Islam Christianity or vice versa. The differences are contradictory and thus one must be right.
    Yes, that goes for you too - just because I challenge your beliefs, there's no need to get so uppity about it. You're not right either.
    I'm not uppity. I'm suggesting an alternative opinion. You are simply demonstrating your intolerance of opinions different from your own.
  • Options
    It's quite obvious.
    He fulfilled prophesy from birth to death, his ministry is recorded in a book which is widely regarded to be a reliable historical account and is the basis of a religion which grew from 12 men to hundreds of millions and is still growing.

What is the date today Blagsta?
    :banghead:
    OK, take Judaism and Christianity. Jews think Jesus was an impostor and are still waiting for the Messiah. Christians think Jesus is the saviour of the world. A pretty fundamental difference.
  • Options
    And what I'm trying to get you to consider is that there is a far more sophisticated approach than believing in the literal truth of the Bible - as I showed before, most sophisticated religous thinkers don't. They would tend more to my view.
    Who says 'sophisticated religious thinkers' are right. You've given them subjective the label 'sophisticated' and their views are as biased as everyone else's. And because they tend to your view, they are credible. Rampant hypocrisy, Blaggy.
  • Options
    Come on, you're brighter than that.

Or are you? I'm beginning to wonder. :confused:
    Pathetic, truly pathetic. If you can't put forward an argument, don't bother posting this kind of thing.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kentish
    Don't be cheap.

I'm not, I'm expressing my opinion of you.
    It's not the same - I wasn't suggesting the two were comparable. But as physics is all based on hypothesis and experiment, perhaps you will agree that hearing how someone has been affected by a religious encounter is an equivalent and no less valid.

Again, you miss the point. Science is independantly verifiable - religion isn't.
    And I'm not denying religous experience - you'd know that if you read my posts a bit more carefully.

So, why is Islam less valid than Christianity?
    Again, you're getting confused between an individual's religious faith and cultural religion. They are distinct and not necessarily mutually dependent.

No I'm not. Most people have the religion they do for cultural reasons.
    Why are you a Christian and not anything else?
    If you really understood what each religion says, you would acknowledge that religions have fundamental differences that are contradictory. Of course there are similarities: for example, muslims believe in one God, in Jesus and in judgement. But that doesn't make Islam Christianity or vice versa. The differences are contradictory and thus one must be right.

Again, you're getting bogged down in superficialities.

And if one is right and the other wrong, how do you know you've chosen the right one and that everyone else is wrong?
    I'm not uppity. I'm suggesting an alternative opinion. You are simply demonstrating your intolerance of opinions different from your own.

Again, maybe if you bothered to read my posts a little more carefully, you'd see that that is precisely not what I'm doing. In fact it seems that you are doing what you accuse me of when you say that all other relgions are wrong.
  • Options
    Pathetic, truly pathetic. If you can't put forward an argument, don't bother posting this kind of thing.

I have put forward an argument, one that you can't seem to grasp. Which is why I'm wondering about your intelligence.
  • Options
    He fulfilled prophesy from birth to death, his ministry is recorded in a book which is widely regarded to be a reliable historical account and is the basis of a religion which grew from 12 men to hundreds of millions and is still growing.

The Bible is not widely held to be a reliable historical account.
    What is the date today Blagsta?

In which calendar?
    OK, take Judaism and Christianity. Jews think Jesus was an impostor and are still waiting for the Messiah. Christians think Jesus is the saviour of the world. A pretty fundamental difference.

Again, you have totally missed the point.
  • Options
    Who says 'sophisticated religious thinkers' are right. You've given them subjective the label 'sophisticated' and their views are as biased as everyone else's. And because they tend to your view, they are credible. Rampant hypocrisy, Blaggy.

Because they have a more intelligent insight into these things than someone who merely takes these things on face value without question.
  • Options
    The Bible is not widely held to be a reliable historical account.
    Actually it is, but as you'd argue black was white, read this: Case for Christ. It's written from a sceptic's point of view and you may find it interesting.
    In which calendar?
    The one on your wall, the one on the boards, whichever you use to arrange your life.
    Again, you have totally missed the point.
    Your point was that religions are basically the same. What have I missed?
  • Options
    Actually it is, but as you'd argue black was white, read this: Case for Christ. It's written from a sceptic's point of view and you may find it interesting.

Historians do not seriously believe that Christ rasied people from the dead, turned water into wine etc.
    I'm not denying that he lived, but the Bible is not an accurate account.
    The one on your wall, the one on the boards, whichever you use to arrange your life.

The 1st November. What about it?
    Your point was that religions are basically the same. What have I missed?

Yes, that is my point. You have missed looking beyond the surface superficial differences to see what spiritual truths might be being expressed by relgions.
    It's like the difference between the plot of a book and it's theme.
  • Options
    I'm not, I'm expressing my opinion of you.
    Fine, but it was rude and childish.
    Again, you miss the point. Science is independantly verifiable - religion isn't.
    And I'm not denying religous experience - you'd know that if you read my posts a bit more carefully.

So, why is Islam less valid than Christianity?
    If you're not denying relgious experience, why is personal testimony invalid as evidence?
    Islam is different from Christianity. One must be right. Both cannot be equally valid, otherwise both would be wrong since they are contradictory.
    No I'm not. Most people have the religion they do for cultural reasons.
    Why are you a Christian and not anything else?
    I don't recall ever declaring my own relgious beliefs. Most people are exposed to the religion which is most prevalent where they are born, of course. But you are misunderstanding religious faith if you say people are born into it.
    Again, you're getting bogged down in superficialities.

And if one is right and the other wrong, how do you know you've chosen the right one and that everyone else is wrong?
    Not superficialities, fundamentals.
    And I trust my own judgement.
    Again, maybe if you bothered to read my posts a little more carefully, you'd see that that is precisely not what I'm doing. In fact it seems that you are doing what you accuse me of when you say that all other relgions are wrong.
    There is a difference between believing something to be true and another thing false, and mocking alternative views. You preach tolerance, but are very intolerant of those who hold views you disagree with.
  • Options
    Because they have a more intelligent insight into these things than someone who merely takes these things on face value without question.
    Who's taking things on face value? Who's not questioning?

'More intelligent' is entirely subjective.
  • Options
    You're not questioning.

But I should have learnt by now - there's no reasoning with a fundamentalist.
  • Options
    Historians do not seriously believe that Christ rasied people from the dead, turned water into wine etc.
    I'm not denying that he lived, but the Bible is not an accurate account.
    You do not believe the Bible is an accurate account. That doesn't mean it isn't. Read the book and decide on the evidence.
    The 1st November. What about it?
    OK so you guessed my point. It's 01/11/2004. Something pretty important must have happened 2004 years ago for us to measure time by it. Jesus was more than a man.
    Yes, that is my point. You have missed looking beyond the surface superficial differences to see what spiritual truths might be being expressed by relgions.
    It's like the difference between the plot of a book and it's theme.
    Name a similarity between Buddhism and Judaism.
  • Options
    You're not questioning.
    How would you know? Was I born into a Hindu family?
    But I should have learnt by now - there's no reasoning with a fundamentalist.
    I object to fundamentalist being mis-used like this as a term of abuse. Islamic Fundamentalism is seen as a root cause of terrorism these days. But if you actually knew a little about Islam, you would realise that the fundamentals are the 5 pillars, of which jihad is not one.
  • Options
    You do not believe the Bible is an accurate account. That doesn't mean it isn't. Read the book and decide on the evidence.

I have read it and decided. I decided it was a good story that expressed some truths, but it is not an accurate historical account. It is more akin to metaphor and allegory.
    OK so you guessed my point. It's 01/11/2004. Something pretty important must have happened 2004 years ago for us to measure time by it. Jesus was more than a man.

That means fuck all. It is because Christianity was the main cultural power when these things were decided. Doesn't mean anything more than that.

You're grasping at straws!

Name a similarity between Buddhism and Judaism.

You really don't get it do you? Typical fundie. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    How would you know? Was I born into a Hindu family?

Were you?
    I object to fundamentalist being mis-used like this as a term of abuse. Islamic Fundamentalism is seen as a root cause of terrorism these days. But if you actually knew a little about Islam, you would realise that the fundamentals are the 5 pillars, of which jihad is not one.

A fundamentalist is someone who takes their religous text at face value.
  • Options
    I have read it and decided. I decided it was a good story that expressed some truths, but it is not an accurate historical account. It is more akin to metaphor and allegory.
    I meant Case for Christ.
    That means fuck all. It is because Christianity was the main cultural power when these things were decided. Doesn't mean anything more than that.

You're grasping at straws!
    But why do you think it became the main cultural power. It started with 12 men who were mostly martyred for their beliefs.

You really don't get it do you? Typical fundie. :rolleyes:
    I assume you can't then.
  • Options
    Were you?
    What do you think? Don't make asumptions about anyone else.
    A fundamentalist is someone who takes their religous text at face value.
    Nope, a fundamentalist is someone who believes in the fundamental principles of something. It is not a synonym for extremism.

We'll have to finish this later, I'm off.
  • Options
    The New Fontana Dictionary of Modern Thought has this to say on fundamentalism
    The belief that the Bible possesses complete infallibility because every word in it is the Word of God. The term is derived from a series of tracts, The Fundamentals, published in the USA in 1909. Other doctrines defended (on the basis of this literal acceptance of passages in the Bible) include the interpretation of the death of Jesus as a 'substitutionary' sacrifice to the just wrath of God on mankind's sins; the virgin birth, physical resurrection and 'Second Coming' of Jesus; and eternal punishment in hell. Fundamentalism is strongest among some American Protestants and is usually accompanied by the condemnation both of the Roman Catholic Church and of modern thought.
  • Options
    Kentish, the calendar is set at that because of cultural reasons, nothing deeper than that. It's about twenty years earlier in Ethiopia, for the record.

Blagsta, and he can correct me if I'm misunderstanding him, is not saying that all the religions are IDENTICAL, but that their key themes are mutual. The plot is different, the characters are different, but that is largely irrelevant, to be quite honest. The themes are the same, it's the same God, it's the same spirituality. Call it Thor if you want, it's the same thing.

In the Middle East Islam is the main cultural power. Are they wrong?
    Judaism shares most of The Bible with Christianity. Are they wrong?

At heart, I believe that it is the same God who appears to different peoples in different ways. I understand your thinking, but I disagree with it. You are fine to believe it, but I do believe it is rather misguided to think that 80% of the world is wrong.
  • Options
    I meant Case for Christ.

It looks interesting, I may read it when I have time. I have about 6 books in my to read pile at the moment though.
    But why do you think it became the main cultural power. It started with 12 men who were mostly martyred for their beliefs.

I agree it tapped into something, but your assertion that we have the calendar we do today because of the fundamental truth of Christianity ignores so many aspects of political and cultural power, it's absurd.
    I assume you can't then.

A belief in an eternal soul.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Kentish, the calendar is set at that because of cultural reasons, nothing deeper than that. It's about twenty years earlier in Ethiopia, for the record.

Blagsta, and he can correct me if I'm misunderstanding him, is not saying that all the religions are IDENTICAL, but that their key themes are mutual. The plot is different, the characters are different, but that is largely irrelevant, to be quite honest. The themes are the same, it's the same God, it's the same spirituality. Call it Thor if you want, it's the same thing.

In the Middle East Islam is the main cultural power. Are they wrong?
    Judaism shares most of The Bible with Christianity. Are they wrong?

At heart, I believe that it is the same God who appears to different peoples in different ways. I understand your thinking, but I disagree with it. You are fine to believe it, but I do believe it is rather misguided to think that 80% of the world is wrong.

I'm warming to you Kermit. :)
  • Options
    What do you think? Don't make asumptions about anyone else.

I doubt it, but I'd like to be surprised.
    Nope, a fundamentalist is someone who believes in the fundamental principles of something. It is not a synonym for extremism.

See above.
    We'll have to finish this later, I'm off.

Go on, run away. ;)
  • Options
    Tell me about it then.

no, it would be a total waste of time.