Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Legalisation

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Spliffie
    Oh right I thought you were male until i checked yer profile. When did i mention smoking lol. If someone's smoking dope in a licensed cannabis cafe or in their own home then you're not going to have to breathe someone else's smoke are you? In fact, it's not going to have any effect on you whatsoever.

Assuming they kept to such locations, who's to say they will. As I've said before there are pot smokers over my back wall aren't there?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    You're either lying or very weird.

Or just a person who doesn't masturbate...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    Or just a person who doesn't masturbate...

Fair enough. I just find it odd, thats all.
  • Options
    Fair enough. I just find it odd, thats all.

Even for a woman?
  • Options
    Assuming they kept to such locations, who's to say they will. As I've said before there are pot smokers over my back wall aren't there?

Well maybe if it was legal, there wouldn't be.
  • Options
    Even for a woman?

Yep.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit

That's the aim of legalisation. If you gave them designated area's (cafe's, homes) where they can smoke it legally, and yet kept smoking it in public a criminal offense they probably woudln't be there.
    Legalistion gives control.
    If people didn't insist on buying drugs that are illegal there wouldn't really be a market that needed regulating would there?

I think it is quite obvious that the laws we have now don't work. They don't stop people takign drugs and they never will. In my view legalising drugs and taking the market away from the organised criminal gangs is the the way forward.

If you have any better ideas I would love to hear them? Or do you really believe that what we have now is ideal?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options

Oh for fuck's sake. You really ain't listening are you? If you've got a problem call the polis. If people are stoned they ain't gonna cause you any problem. In any case, if they legalised it they'd be sitting in cafes.

<Rolls a spliff, takes a puff, sits back >

Just free your mind maaaan!
  • Options
    Well maybe if it was legal, there wouldn't be.

Or maybe there'd be more, even if smoking in public was illegal, plenty of people'd ignore it, they already do, in shopping centres etc.
  • Options
    Oh for fuck's sake. You really ain't listening are you? If you've got a problem call the polis. If people are stoned they ain't gonna cause you any problem. In any case, if they legalised it they'd be sitting in cafes.

Why? It's a nice summery day, why do we go sit in a nice green space? I would, play some frisbee maybe.
  • Options
    Why? It's a nice summery day, why do we go sit in a nice green space? I would, play some frisbee maybe.

You've lost the plot/started taking the piss.

For your sake i hope it's the latter.
  • Options
    Or maybe there'd be more, even if smoking in public was illegal, plenty of people'd ignore it, they already do, in shopping centres etc.

Maybe there would. But I think that if cannabis was legalised for use in specially designated places (cafes etc), then the law could be more rigourously enforced. As it is, the law is a joke.
  • Options

And smoke a spliff.
  • Options
    And smoke a spliff.

That's not what I meant. I like playing frisbee and intend to join the ultimate frisbee team at uni. But I like to sit outside with friends on a summers day. Piss taking doesn't come into it, and I fail to see why this means I've lost the plot.
  • Options
    That's not what I meant. I like playing frisbee and intend to join the ultimate frisbee team at uni. But I like to sit outside with friends on a summers day.

So do I. Some of my mates will also smoke a spliff. I won't, I'll probably have a lager or three. Some of my mates abstain completely. Its an individual choice.
  • Options
    So do I. Some of my mates will also smoke a spliff. I won't, I'll probably have a lager or three. Some of my mates abstain completely. Its an individual choice.

Personal for the indivdual, but say my mates and I were sitting nearby, we would have to put up with the smoke without having chosen for ourselves wouldn't we?
  • Options
    That's not what I meant. I like playing frisbee and intend to join the ultimate frisbee team at uni. But I like to sit outside with friends on a summers day. Piss taking doesn't come into it, and I fail to see why this means I've lost the plot.

I'll ask it again.

Do you agree that the laws we have at the moment only do more harm then good? I think it's obvious they don't work.

We have come up with plenty of reasons why legalisation and decriminalisation can work? You disagree, so have you got any better ideas?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options

What the fuck has it got to do with legalising cannabis?
  • Options
    What the fuck has it got to do with legalising cannabis?

It was an example of how others are affected by the personal choice of a third party.
  • Options
    Personal for the indivdual, but say my mates and I were sitting nearby, we would have to put up with the smoke without having chosen for ourselves wouldn't we?

Clutching at straws there. If smoke from a spliff in a park bothers you so much, I suggest you never ever leave your house ever again. It must be hell being so sensitive.
  • Options
    It was an example of how others are affected by the personal choice of a third party.

Eh? :confused:
  • Options

What in a park? Are you having a laugh.

Anyway people smoke it up in the park now as it is. I can't see how legalisation would drastically affect this - especially if it remained illegal to smoke in public.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options

Well what if i'm in a park smoking a spliff and your frisbee hits me :p

Should frisbees be banned?

:eek2:
  • Options
    Well what if i'm in a park smoking a spliff and your frisbee hits me :p

Should frisbees be banned?

:eek2:

I'd apologise, but I'm quite good at frisbee really, it's not likely to go that far off course, considering if we were playing we'd try to put distance between ourselves and others.

Clutching at straws there. If smoke from a spliff in a park bothers you so much, I suggest you never ever leave your house ever again. It must be hell being so sensitive.

It was a point. But really it shouldn't be me who should stay at home, especially considering the way anti-smoking legislation is moving these days.

Originally posted by Skive
    What in a park? Are you having a laugh.

Anyway people smoke it up in the park now as it is. I can't see how legalisation would drastically affect this - especially if it remained illegal to smoke in public.

Remain has nothing to do with it, as it's not currently illegal. If people smoke a spliff in the park today I could call the police. And maybe they'd turn up within the week.
  • Options
    If people smoke a spliff in the park today I could call the police.

Busybody.
  • Options
    that wasn't her point that she was a busybody interfering, she was making the point that the POLICE wouldn't turn up to do anything about the crime if she did phone up.
  • Options
    Busybody.

It's still the law isn't it? If you can't keep to it, why should I cover for you?
  • Options
    The police have far better things to do I would think.
  • Options
    Originally posted by queenmab_roo
    that wasn't her point that she was a busybody interfering, she was making the point that the POLICE wouldn't turn up to do anything about the crime if she did phone up.

indeed
  • Options
    yes, believe it or not that was the point she was making!