Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The Death Penalty

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Depends what crime you're on about.

Any crime really.
    I know mentally ill people this wont affect, but your normal average person who has thieved all his life, stolen cars etc. some of these get let out and once they are out go straight back into a life of crime. If prison was lets say hard graft and they had to work bloody hard in there, if they were given basic food enough to keep them alive but not starve them, things like that may stop them going back.
    I have suffered extreme poverty at some time in my life. I had a flat and no money for lighting, i had no food but I did not steal so thats no excuse for going to crime.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    I knew that sex offenders were tagetted in prison, but I have also heard stories about others having to watch their back also. Still im of the opinion if someone has done a terrible crime let them be scared shitless in there, they didnt think about the person they were killing or terrorising was petrified did they.
    Anyone who harms children deserves all they get in all honesty.

Past actions do not shape future actions. Just because you have done something in the past, however terrible, does not mean that you have lost your right to protection from crime. Humans are equal, if you have comitted a crime you lose your liberty, but you do not lose your rights as a human being. And thjsoe rights include protection from persecution.

Unless you are suggesting that we should do without the legal; JUSTICE system, and just hang people in the market square?

But is he really ? If prison was that bad why do so many re-offend ?

For high-level crimes it is usually due to pathology or abuse during childhood, for less high-level crimes you can take your pick from drug habits, lack of education, lack of opportunity and lack of ambition. People who ahve something to look forward to do not generally return to prison habitually, but if you have zero job prospects and zero ability to better yourself, you might as well do teh crime because the time inside is no deterrent. If youve got nothing on the outside, why bother staying there?
  • Options
    As I said, for some people crime is all they know. Other people are funding a drug habit.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    If prison was lets say hard graft and they had to work bloody hard in there, if they were given basic food enough to keep them alive but not starve them, things like that may stop them going back.

We keep having this discussion Becky. Anyone who thinks that prison is a cushy life is not thinking about it properly. Unless you think having to shit in a bucket is fun, that is.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Unless you think having to shit in a bucket is fun, that is.

Sorry that made me smile.

Thats not really hard work though is it, unless of course you are constipated ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit

Unless you are suggesting that we should do without the legal; JUSTICE system, and just hang people in the market square?

but if you have zero job prospects and zero ability to better yourself, you might as well do teh crime because the time inside is no deterrent. If youve got nothing on the outside, why bother staying there?

firstly let me clarify I have said I dont agree with the death penalty.

I had no job, no money, no family near me, no food, no electric and did I turn to crime ? Poverty is no excuse. I was lowest of the low at this time, I even felt that low that at one point cried myself to sleep everynight, If id had the guts and wasnt such a soft shite I may have even taken my life. I didnt turn to crime and nobody else can use that as an excuse.
    Something obviously told me I would make it in the end, which eventually I did get sorted out.
  • Options
    Sweet mother of jehoseva. You realise how much time and trouble it would save all of us if we just executed the guilty?

Your debating is tedious and time-wasting. If somone is found undoubtably guilty then they should be executed, end off. Then nobody, on all corners of the earth, will have to worry about the bastard every again.
  • Options
    Gianto I think you are in the minority on this debate so maybe we need to talk some more :D
  • Options
    Becky, I understand your point about wishing to see the serial offenders suffer rather than being rapidly executed. Doesn't mean that I agree with it. To come to a compromise, how about the executors use an extremely slow-acting, painful lethal drug when executing offenders?
  • Options
    Originally posted by giantno1
    Becky, I understand your point about wishing to see the serial offenders suffer rather than being rapidly executed. Doesn't mean that I agree with it. To come to a compromise, how about the executors use an extremely slow-acting, painful lethal drug when executing offenders?

lol nah you wont win me over on this one. As i said early on once upon a time i was like you are. I would have said soon as they are found guilty hang em, but now I have seen so many debates here they have shown me that the death penalty is the easy way out for the offender.
    You never know give it a year and if your still here we might have turned your opinion round ;)
  • Options
    i think that in the serious case of a moderator ...say of a place like this ...getting it wrong ...death by laser.
    hang em up by good old fashioned meathooks and fry em with hand held zappas.
    then go on to sell it as a game ...or is this late 80's stuff?
  • Options
    Laser? I assume you were joking but if not then laser would be too expensive. Just give them an injection and they're dead within 10 seconds. Bury the body in a cemetary and hey presto, fuck the offender cos he's dead and he's not coming back. Hence any other potential victims of his are no longer potential victims.

I'm afraid I can only see myself becoming more authoritarian Becky. I maybe wrong but I doubt that I'll be moving even a millimetre in the step towards liberalism. However, you can still try to change my mind if you want to ;)
  • Options
    More authoritarian? How? Your already talking about mass murder of the convicted prison population. To get more tough we'd have to do without trails altogether and just burn those we thought might be guilty.
  • Options
    Well the kid is still young. This kind of behaviour and thinking is not that uncommon amongst young and inexperienced people. We can live in hope.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Well the kid is still young. This kind of behaviour and thinking is not that uncommon amongst young and inexperienced people. We can live in hope.

Nah, he makes pnj look like a bastion of intelligence and wit.
  • Options
    I understand your weak liberal perspective but I do not appreciate it. If every issue was to be resolved by diplomacy and every person, no matter their history, was to be treated with respect then civilisation would not have advanced past man's discovery of fire. I may be young but I, like many others my age, are the future of this country so you are indeed right to either hope or dread.
  • Options
    If every issue was to be resolved by diplomacy...then civilisation would not have advanced past man's discovery of fire.

Gandhi or Hitler? I wonder who did more good for the world.

Martin Luther King or Ronald Reagan? I wonder who did more good for the world.

Wilberforce or Powell? I wonder who did more good for the world.

I think I might see a pattern emerging here...
  • Options
    "I may be young but I, like many others my age, are the future of this country"

I dont mean to be rude, but if thats true its one of the more depressing things I've heard in a long while.
  • Options
    innit
  • Options
    You know, I was told by someone I was "behind the times" recently, given the calibre of todays youth I'm somewhat glad really. Hell in a hand basket I tell you!
  • Options
    Martin Luther didn't do anything for the world collectively. He did something for a single race of people, and however incredible that thing may have been, it hasn't necessarily benefited the world as a collective people. I in no way intend to suggest that it has had negative effects but I, for one, cannot see any positive ones, i.e. how did Martin Luther King's actions directly benefit the white middle-classes of Western Europe, the Arab Muslim people or the Hindus of Eastern Asia? If you have arguments to the contrary then I would certainly like to hear them.

Hitler had a vision for his country. It was a vision, however, which he over-did. Everyone is entitled to the view that citizens of their home country should have more "living-space" and that people should be proud of their national identity. His policy went wrong however with the mass persecution of the Jews which I completely condemn and in no way sympathise with. He is always portrayed as having been a crazed and metally-ill individual and whilst this is probably true, the fact that he received the backing of so many people around him suggests that his vision was shared amongst many. Let me set the record completely straight before you liberals attempt to twist what I have said, I DO NOT ADVOCATE THE MASS-MURDER OF JEWS BUT CONDEMN IT. Look at Stalin, he was responsible for the deaths of over 5 times more people than Hitler and yet you liberals never care to mention him because his idea was supposed to have been one of communal unity and equality.

And as depressed as you may feel having read my comment about my generation being the future of this country, you can take great reassurance in the fact that there are many liberals amongst people my age and they are sure to carry on the destruction of this country as you presently so easily advocate.
  • Options
    Your so steeped in melodrama, its fantastic, none of us are advocating the destruction of this 'fine land'. Thats taking things totaly out of context.

The point you raise about the comparison between Hitler and Stalin is an interesting one though. I'm sure most if not all of us here know the figures involved, but dont for one minute the reason he isnt given such evil status is because of our lefty politics. Thats just rubbish.

Hitler invaded other countries, he brought the whole of Europe into a massive conflict. However Stalin slowly killed his own people without bothering other countries that much. There is a difference. You are right in the over all numbers of people, Stalin was a much worse mass murderer than Hitler, but, he had the good sense not to start a world war, and those types of things stick in peoples minds.

Also, many of Stalins dead were from starvation, not really from deliberate killing. Yes it was his stupid policies that did it, but unlike with Hitler he didnt round them all up and kill them. Although he did quite a bit of that too.

I would also suggest that its the images of the death camps that have stuck in peoples minds, there are very few images of the gulags, to video of those starved people.
  • Options
    Martin Luther didn't do anything for the world collectively. He did something for a single race of people, and however incredible that thing may have been, it hasn't necessarily benefited the world as a collective people. I in no way intend to suggest that it has had negative effects but I, for one, cannot see any positive ones, i.e. how did Martin Luther King's actions directly benefit the white middle-classes of Western Europe, the Arab Muslim people or the Hindus of Eastern Asia? If you have arguments to the contrary then I would certainly like to hear them.

Jesus fucking Christ! You're so "us and them" aren't you? How did one so young become so fucked up and bitter?
    The ending of apartheid in the US and the civil rights movement has benefitted everyone, black, white and every other shade enormously. Treating a group of people as 2nd class citizens harms all of us.

If you had your way, we'd still have slavery and children working down the pit. :rolleyes:
    Look at Stalin, he was responsible for the deaths of over 5 times more people than Hitler and yet you liberals never care to mention him because his idea was supposed to have been one of communal unity and equality.

This just goes to show how ignorant you are. If you actually had any fucking clue what you were on about and weren't just parroting the crap that you probably heard your parents spout, you'd know that "liberals" condemn Stalin just as much as Hitler.

Get your head out of your arse.
    And as depressed as you may feel having read my comment about my generation being the future of this country, you can take great reassurance in the fact that there are many liberals amongst people my age and they are sure to carry on the destruction of this country as you presently so easily advocate.

What destruction of this country? There you again making wild assertions with no basis in fact.

cuckoo.gif
  • Options
    What destruction of this country?

The one through which true Englishmen will become a minority in their own country in the next 30 or so years.
  • Options
    Actually I'm starting to think you are a

troll.jpg

no one can really be as misinformed as you are, surely? :confused:
  • Options
    The one through which true Englishmen will become a minority in their own country in the next 30 or so years.

Whats a "true Englishman"? :confused:
  • Options
    "liberals" condemn Stalin just as much as Hitler.

But ofcourse they do :yes:
  • Options
    They do. If you weren't such an ignorant fool, you'd know this.
  • Options
    Whats a "true Englishman"? :confused:

One who appreciates and has knowledge of British history and literature, and one who considers England to be his spiritual home (probably because they spent their childhood here). Shame I can't say that about the arabs, turks, eastern europeans, africans and asians that come here in their masses.
  • Options
    Maybe you should talk to some then. :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.