Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The Death Penalty

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone think we should bring back the death penalty? If so then why and if not, why not?

I personally think that the death penalty should be brought back for 3 reasons:

1) The mere threat of the death penalty can be used to discipline criminals as it is likely to put potential murderers off.
2) It'll save much needed space in prisons for lesser criminals
3) It'll take violent murderers and rapists off the streets for good.

As long as there is an efficient system of appeal available to the criminal at all stages of the prosecuting process, then I am in favour of the Death Penalty.

And..... oh go on then, should drugs be legalised?

Comments

• Options
    in a way, yes, an eye for an eye

but on the other hand your just bringing yourselves down to their level.
    but i know if anyone of my close mates or family were brutally murdered/raped etc i would certainly want to see them pay, even though they get off easy, a lot of these 'lethal injections' are painless and dont compare to how much pain and suffering the criminal has caused
  • Options
    true, the pain doesnt compare. But its the pain element vs the knowledge that the criminal will never hurt anyone in the same way again (because he'll be dead himself).
  • Options
    Re: The Death Penalty

No way do I agree that the death penalty should be brought back, it stinks of the dark ages.
    I don't think it will put murderers off as a lot of murders are committed on a whim and others are committed by deranged people who will do it no matter the potential consequences.
    Also what about if a person was sentenced to death and later found to be innocence, no point having a re-trial for a dead man.
    I believe in being tough on career criminals, rapists, murderers etc., but if we wanted to save spaces for lesser criminals, maybe we should try and reform the lesser ones so they wouldn't re-offend and be in prison at all.
  • Options
    Re: Re: The Death Penalty

Oh dear. Read my arguments properly.
    Originally posted by dantheman
    I don't think it will put murderers off as a lot of murders are committed on a whim and others are committed by deranged people who will do it no matter the potential consequences.

If the potential consequence is death, then this will ensure that the same person does not recommit the crime at the next possible opportunity, i.e. he/she are off the streets forever.
    Originally posted by dantheman
    Also what about if a person was sentenced to death and later found to be innocence, no point having a re-trial for a dead man.

Which is why I said that there must be a good system for appeal in place.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: The Death Penalty
    Originally posted by giantno1

If the potential consequence is death, then this will ensure that the same person does not recommit the crime at the next possible opportunity, i.e. he/she are off the streets forever.

he/she could be off the street forever if they were locked up forever doesn't mean they have to be put to death.
    I know that life sentences don't mean 'life' these days but I think a system of 'life means life' would be better than the current system and the death penalty.
  • Options
    I don't agree with the death penalty.

Using Ian Brady as an example, hes been on hunger strike for two years and everyday hes chained to a machine to keep him alive. He knows he will never get out and all he wants is his own death but we won't allow it. Surely that is the worst punishment, the death penalty is far to quick and easy for the likes of him.
  • Options

I couldn't disagree with the death penalty more than I do, for various reasons. With regard to the arguments giant has put in favour of the death penalty:
    1) The mere threat of the death penalty can be used to discipline criminals as it is likely to put potential murderers off.
    Very unlikely. Lessons from the US show that the death penalty is not a deterrent and does not prevent murders. Crime figures between States that have and haven't got capital punishment return similar rates.
    Frankly, I find it rather shocking that you might argue for the death of a human being because of reasons of space.

In any case, you should consider that an executed prisoner costs the government far more money than one who is locked for life.

As it has been said before, so does a life sentence.

The bottom line is this: the human right is sacred and no government or power has the right to take it away. Estate-sponsored murder is no different from the murder committed by the condemned.
  • Options
    Yes for certain crimes i think the death penalty should be brought back, what about innocent children who are killed because of nut cases? I think people who do them sort of crimes should be executed.

Yes life should mean life but some of the worst criminals get out after a certain number of years and they go on about their lives while others are still in despair over what this person may have done.

Ian huntley for example, what does anyone think he should get?

If life it should be life, not up for release after 20 years or something, but i can't decide on what he gets, it's up to the courts.
  • Options
    Once upon a time when I 1st started coming to these boards I would have said yes without any hesitation, but after reading a few posts and different subjects I feel that the death penalty is an easy way out for these scum. I now think they are better of staying alive and having to suffer day in and day out, let them have to sit all day everyday living with the fact that they have done something pretty serious that would warrant a death penalty.
    Let them be in prison and be afraid to turn their back, now thats more punishment and suffering than any lethal shot of anything.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Shogun

Leave that one till the trials over. Innocent until proven guilty. ;)
  • Options
    Does anyone think we should bring back the death penalty? If so then why and if not, why not?

I personally think that the death penalty should be brought back for 3 reasons:

1) The mere threat of the death penalty can be used to discipline criminals as it is likely to put potential murderers off..

No it won't. Look at America, its had a great affect there hasn't it? Criminals don't usually think about consequences.
    2) It'll save much needed space in prisons for lesser criminals.

How about we put less people in prison, especially for drugs offences. Prison doesn't work and often exacerbates the situation.

If they don't have the right to take life, why does the state?

And this totally ignores possible miscarriages of justice.
  • Options
    Re: Re: The Death Penalty
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    How about we put less people in prison, especially for drugs offences. Prison doesn't work and often exacerbates the situation.

Do they not come off drugs when in prison ? or at least a fairly large amount of people. I dont know the figures and have not looked into it but I seen a documentary once and there were about 9/10 people who had been inside for different crimes which were comitted purely because they had a drug problem, anyway they were thankful for being inside because they got off the drugs. I also read somewhere that they had drug rehab type things within the prison service and they also helped people come off drugs.
  • Options
    Now then, where to start.

1. You mean like the death penalty stopped the Washington sniper?
    2. Untrue. Instead of having them in normal prisons, you
    have them in Death Row prisons for upwards of twenty years. Which have the added bonus of costing more to operate.
    3. So would a life sentence. I dont recall Myra Hindley being on the street recently.
    Originally posted by Shogun
    Yes for certain crimes i think the death penalty should be brought back, what about innocent children who are killed because of nut cases?

If they are "nutcases" you are saying that they are mentally ill. I dont know about you, but Im not in the business of killing seriously ill people just because we dont like them.
    Yes life should mean life but some of the worst criminals get out after a certain number of years and they go on about their lives while others are still in despair over what this person may have done.

Justice is not a revenge mechanism. Besides, how is killing someone going to bring another person back to life?

The worst criminals do not get out, witness Hindley and West in particular.

Putting the cart before the horse there a bit arent we?

The whole system is overcrowded, and the 700 or so people currently in jail for not paying the BBC Tax are crowding it far more than the minute number of people who have comitted serious enough offences to "merit" death.
    If they don't have the right to take life, why does the state?

And this totally ignores possible miscarriages of justice.

Thats exactly the crux of the debate. Mumia Thingummy in the US has recently had his conviction overturned, if memory serves me right, and there are umpteen cases in the UK where, had the death penalty still been in force, would have seen gross miscarriages of justice. Take the Birmingham Six and Guildford Four for instance, theyd be dead now, despite their innocence.

One of the last deaths in the UK was a shaky conviction for murder, where the famous words "let him have it" were enough to see a man die. Even though what the shooter took them to mean was not the intended meaning.

Ive said it before, no matter what anyone has done, they do not deserve to be killed for it. And on a far more cynical reason, there is a REASON why Ian Brady has been on hunger strike, and Fred West committed suicide. Its because they dont want to be stuck in a room for the rest of their lives. What better punishment than one that they dont want?
  • Options
    What about the rapists/murderers/pedos being used as guinea pigs for medicinal companies instead?

More reliable than using bunny rabbits in labs, use a child-rapist and get results.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    What about the rapists/murderers/pedos being used as guinea pigs for medicinal companies instead?

More reliable than using bunny rabbits in labs, use a child-rapist and get results.

Please be joking. Please.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Do they not come off drugs when in prison ? or at least a fairly large amount of people. I dont know the figures and have not looked into it but I seen a documentary once and there were about 9/10 people who had been inside for different crimes which were comitted purely because they had a drug problem, anyway they were thankful for being inside because they got off the drugs. I also read somewhere that they had drug rehab type things within the prison service and they also helped people come off drugs.

Some come off drugs, some don't. Depends on the services available inside. Some people go in without a habit and come out with one. There is some evidence that since the introduction of mandatory drug testing, prisoners have switched from using cannabis inside to using heroin. Some prison officers turn a blind eye to drug use within prisons as it pacifies the prisoners. Yes, some people do detox whilst inside, but a lot don't.
    My point is though, that drug use should not be viewed as a criminal matter, but a social and medical matter. People in prison for posession of drugs should not be there imo.
  • Options

One of my old friends was a drug addict, he went to prison for attempted armed robbery, when he got out he told me how it was the best place to be to get your head sorted and off the drugs. He then told me how he struck a deal with the prison doctor to get a whole range of drugs including tranquilizers. Prison doesn't solve any drug problems.

I actually saw him last week for the first time in ages, I think hes been in prison a couple of times since. By the look of him hes still on something, he didn't know who I was.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: The Death Penalty
    People in prison for posession of drugs should not be there imo.

Fair enough really, though I dont think that they should get away without any punishment. Maybe they should have to spend some time at a secure detox unit instead, just to force them to get better I guess.

Dealers should rot in there though.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Death Penalty
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Fair enough really, though I dont think that they should get away without any punishment. Maybe they should have to spend some time at a secure detox unit instead, just to force them to get better I guess.

Dealers should rot in there though.

Punishment for possession of drugs? Why? :confused:

And why should dealers rot? Most of the problems caused by drugs are due to prohibition.
  • Options
    Punishment for possession of drugs? Why?

Are you on the same planet as the rest of us?:) (ive got a inkling as to why you wouldnt want to see dealers rot as well);)

Personally, Id like to see murderers giving a life sentance first WHICH MEANS LIFE. People like Brady, West etc dont deserve to get the easy way out and totally deserve to spend ever single day of thier life in solitary confinement, no tv, no books, nothing. They must pay for what they have done and in the worst way possible which i believe is this.

These arnt people who haved nicked ur TV etc, they people who have taken pleasure from taking innocent people and children off the streets and then torturing them and murdering them for thier own kicks, it really does begger belief that some people believe people like this should one day gain the right to live a free life again. Truly shocking.

I dont like the look at america argument agaisnt the death penalty either, I think the murders in america have more to do with poor gun control and cultural differences IMO. Look at Saudi Arabia, they have a zero tolerance approach to all crime and they have one of the best crime rates on earth.
  • Options
    Originally posted by RWB
    Are you on the same planet as the rest of us?:)

Yes thanks. Please enlighten me as to how jailing people for simple possession is helping anyone. You can tell me how the "war on drugs" is helping matters as well, while you're at it.
  • Options
    Because its illegal mate, whether you like it or not. If you do things that are illegal, then you go to jail. Drugs are illegal because they kill people and many people have thier lives ruined by them. If you send a message out that drugs are fine then the kind of a society you are trying to create is worrying.
  • Options
    Please enlighten me as to how jailing people for simple possession is helping anyone.

because its an offence ? if you do something your not allowed to and get caught you get done for it, regardless of what it is you do wrong.
  • Options
    exactly becky.

:)
  • Options
    Originally posted by RWB
    Because its illegal mate, whether you like it or not. If you do things that are illegal, then you go to jail. Drugs are illegal because they kill people and many people have thier lives ruined by them. If you send a message out that drugs are fine then the kind of a society you are trying to create is worrying.

Yes I know they are illegal. That wasn't the question. Do you need me to repeat it?
    Please enlighten me as to how jailing people for simple possession is helping anyone.

Not a hard question is it?
  • Options
    because its an offence ? if you do something your not allowed to and get caught you get done for it, regardless of what it is you do wrong.

So everyone who breaks the law should receive a custodial sentence?
  • Options
    Originally posted by RWB
    If you send a message out that drugs are fine then the kind of a society you are trying to create is worrying.

Do you drink alcohol?
  • Options

Not a hard question is it?

Again anyone who commits an offence should be charged. If someone is caught for posession then its their tough luck, they know the consequences and if they dont like it then dont do drugs........end of.
    Let me ask you a question:
    Why should they get away with it when they know its an offence ? Does that mean that because I know shoplifting is an offence I can still go and shoplift and get away with it ?
  • Options
    So everyone who breaks the law should receive a custodial sentence?

Depends what they did, how many times they have done it etc. For 1st time offenders (depending on the crime id say give them a warning), only one warning and the next time come down hard.
  • Options
    Do you drink alcohol?

that is not an offence, really this is getting silly.
This discussion has been closed.