Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The Death Penalty

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    "In fact, drug use should not be a criminal matter at all. "

Blagsta please, We already know that you're a liberal, don't turn into an anarchist aswell. You might aswell lead a revolution against the state as a controlling mechanism. Then we can all live in anarchist paradise.... or not.
  • Options
    missingthepoint.png

Whats the size of America got to with it? :confused:

The point is, that it doesn't act as a deterrent. If it did, would the US have such a high crime rate? And no, most criminals don't think about consequences. "And if there are criminals who dont think of the consequences, then they'll end up being killed by the death-penalty." errrr....your point was about it being a deterrant. Kind of arguing against yourself here.
  • Options
    Originally posted by giantno1
    "In fact, drug use should not be a criminal matter at all. "

Blagsta please, We already know that you're a liberal, don't turn into an anarchist aswell. You might aswell lead a revolution against the state as a controlling mechanism. Then we can all live in anarchist paradise.... or not.

Tell me why drug use should be a criminal matter.
  • Options
    My point was that I'm sure that it'll deterr a lot of people, and those that it doesnt, will have a pleasant surprise waiting for them in the form of a syringe.

Why should drug use be punishible? Because its the things that people can potentially do having taken drugs. Watch the film Train-spotting and then tell me if you'd like Heroin to be a part of our daily lives.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Tell me why drug use should be a criminal matter.

:lol::love::lol: Mwaa!
  • Options
    My point was that I'm sure that it'll deterr a lot of people, and those that it doesnt, will have a pleasant surprise waiting for them in the form of a syringe.

It is not a deterrent. Look at history. When we had the death penalty, did we have no murder?
    Why should drug use be punishible? Because its the things that people can potentially do having taken drugs. Watch the film Train-spotting and then tell me if you'd like Heroin to be a part of our daily lives.

The film Trainspotting is not a very good place to get your drug info from. The book is a bit better though.

Anyway, you haven't answered my question. Why should drug use be a criminal matter? Its a social and health problem. If heroin was legal, there would be far less problems associated with its use.
  • Options
    There is an element of truth in what you're saying but legalising it as a 'social experiment' would be far too risky. If things became chatastrophic, as they probably would do, then the government would have to make heroin illegal again. That would not go down well with the individuals who have taken it upon themselves to take heroin in the intervening period and they, probably still dangerously high, would start revolts.

If heroin was legalised then the drugs market in this country would experience an outrageous boom! And then if there were problems and heroin had to be banned again, how would you tell the thousands of south americans exporting drugs to the UK legally to fuck off?

If heroin was legalised then it would no doubt become part of our daily lives. I do not wish to go out on the street, knowing that there are already rapists and murderers around, and have to worry about the extra problem of heroin junkies crashing their cars while driving, attacking people, being sick or collapsing in the streets and leaving their used syringes lying around. Do you wish to have this problem in everyday life?
  • Options
    Anyway, you haven't answered my question. Why should drug use be a criminal matter?

Can you change the fooking record :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo

I think that Blagsta has returned to base camp to re-think his attacking strategy
  • Options
    I think that Blagsta has returned to base camp to re-think his attacking strategy [/QUOTE

or maybe realised this thread is debating death penatly and not drugs.
    Maybe if he would like to start a thread re drugs it can be debated there, but can we get back to what this discussions was about.
  • Options

Answer the fucking question then.
  • Options
    There is an element of truth in what you're saying but legalising it as a 'social experiment' would be far too risky. If things became chatastrophic, as they probably would do, then the government would have to make heroin illegal again. That would not go down well with the individuals who have taken it upon themselves to take heroin in the intervening period and they, probably still dangerously high, would start revolts.

If heroin was legalised then the drugs market in this country would experience an outrageous boom! And then if there were problems and heroin had to be banned again, how would you tell the thousands of south americans exporting drugs to the UK legally to fuck off?

If heroin was legalised then it would no doubt become part of our daily lives. I do not wish to go out on the street, knowing that there are already rapists and murderers around, and have to worry about the extra problem of heroin junkies crashing their cars while driving, attacking people, being sick or collapsing in the streets and leaving their used syringes lying around. Do you wish to have this problem in everyday life?

heroin users starting revolts? LOL! Have you ever met anyone who uses heroin?

I don't think that if heroin was legal that loads of people would take it. Anyway, I'm not talking about it being available at the local corner shop.

But Becky's right, this is a topic for another thread. Have a look here
    http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56193
  • Options
    Answer the fucking question then.

Goodnight !!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    I have answered the question:

"If heroin was legalised then it would no doubt become part of our daily lives. I do not wish to go out on the street, knowing that there are already rapists and murderers around, and have to worry about the extra problem of heroin junkies crashing their cars while driving, attacking people, being sick or collapsing in the streets and leaving their used syringes lying around. Do you wish to have this problem in everyday life?"

Now you answer mine
  • Options
    Or maybe is that none of the "drugs are evil and should be illegal" brigade has yet managed to answer the very simple, repeatedly put question: "Why should drug use be a criminal matter?"

This is starting to resemble the famous "Did you threaten to overrule him" Paxman interview of Michael Howard 10 years ago... Paxman asked the same question 14 times and he didn't get an answer. I wonder if Blagsta is about to break that record...

But anyway. On to some of the comments giant has made:
    If heroin were legalised then the drugs market in this country would experience an outrageous boom!
    No it wouldn't. Heroin would be sold through licensed retailers such as pharmacies to registered drug addicts. The 'only' difference it would make is that it would bring the price down, drive dealers out of business and cut heroin-related crime by 90%.
    And then if there were problems and heroin had to be banned again, how would you tell the thousands of south americans exporting drugs to the UK legally to fuck off?
    Your prejudice is getting the better of your judgement again. Heroin doesn't usually come from South America, and legalisation wouldn't bring "thousands of south americans" (or people from anywhere else) to this country. On the contrary- legalisation would drive them away.

If heroin were legalised then it would no doubt become part of our daily lives.
    Oh dear oh dear oh dear... :rolleyes:
    I do not wish to go out on the street, knowing that there are already rapists and murderers around
    Where do you live? HMP Wandsworth?
    and have to worry about the extra problem of heroin junkies crashing their cars while driving, attacking people, being sick or collapsing in the streets and leaving their used syringes lying around. Do you wish to have this problem in everyday life?
    Yeah. Because if heroine was legalised I could see everyone- my grandma, auntie, the neighbour- buying some and shooting up.

Do you give any thought to what you post?
  • Options
    Goodnight !!!!!!!!!

What the fuck is your problem?
  • Options
    I have answered the question:

"If heroin was legalised then it would no doubt become part of our daily lives. I do not wish to go out on the street, knowing that there are already rapists and murderers around, and have to worry about the extra problem of heroin junkies crashing their cars while driving, attacking people, being sick or collapsing in the streets and leaving their used syringes lying around. Do you wish to have this problem in everyday life?"

Now you answer mine

I very much doubt that would happen. Junkies attacking people? Don't be silly. Ever seen someone gouching? Anyway, what you describe, "being sick or collapsing in the streets and leaving their used syringes lying around" is exactly the situation we have at the moment...
  • Options
    What the fuck is your problem?

answer the fucking question then

what the fuck is your problem

I think its easy enough to work out. Keep talking to me like that and your not going to get anywhere. As I have said before you have an attitude problem and I just cannot be bothered wasting my time anymore when this is the response you come out with.
  • Options
    I think its easy enough to work out. Keep talking to me like that and your not going to get anywhere. As I have said before you have an attitude problem and I just cannot be bothered wasting my time anymore when this is the response you come out with.

May I jog your memory and remind you who was rude first?
    Can you change the fooking record

talk about hypocrisy
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    No it wouldn't. Heroin would be sold through licensed retailers such as pharmacies to registered drug addicts. The 'only' difference it would make is that it would bring the price down, drive dealers out of business and cut heroin-related crime by 90%.

Aaah if it was available ON PRESCRIPTION from pharmacies then the situation would be totally different. It would only be prescribed to heroin addicts. But how would you stop them from not using it all and selling some off? How would you stop the hundreds of people who are bound to take advantage of its legalisation by pretending they are addicts themselves when they're actually drug dealers desperate for quick cash? And how would you stop the people who are so desperate for cash that they're prepared to steal friends/relatives prescriptions and use them for no good?

"Where do you live? HMP Wandsworth?"
    No, I live in the real world not your panzy fantasy liberal world.

The solution for drug addicts is currently rehab. It's designed to make addicts clean and realise how much better their lives are without hard drugs. If heroin was legalised, then the decision to come off the drugs would be the drug addicts'. Are you suggesting therefore that you're prepared for drug addicts who will not make this decision and eventually end up shooting themselves up to death?
  • Options
    and may I remind everyone that the point of this board of the forums is to debate issues and not each other, jesus, do I really have to read all this bitching in here every morning?

Talk about the issues and by all means make reference to a comment someone else has made but when someone is not answering a point, someone is just being rude, someone is talking off-topic, someone is being personal then move on rather than descending to their level.
  • Options
    Aaah if it was available ON PRESCRIPTION from pharmacies then the situation would be totally different. It would only be prescribed to heroin addicts. But how would you stop them from not using it all and selling some off? How would you stop the hundreds of people who are bound to take advantage of its legalisation by pretending they are addicts themselves when they're actually drug dealers desperate for quick cash? And how would you stop the people who are so desperate for cash that they're prepared to steal friends/relatives prescriptions and use them for no good?

"Where do you live? HMP Wandsworth?"

The solution for drug addicts is currently rehab. It's designed to make addicts clean and realise how much better their lives are without hard drugs. If heroin was legalised, then the decision to come off the drugs would be the drug addicts'. Are you suggesting therefore that you're prepared for drug addicts who will not make this decision and eventually end up shooting themselves up to death?
    Let's talk about real worlds then shall we?

In the real world anyone who wants to score drugs will easily do so. So why aren't we all hooked to heroin, syringes dangling from our arms?

The answer is because we don't want to. Those who want to use drugs, will. And no law, rule or police force in the world is going to stop it. Therefore legalisation will not make one iota of a difference with regard to the number of drug users.

Like I said, the only difference it will make is that the price will come down, the dealers will be driven out of business, the prisons will be eased up and drug-related crime will come down by as much as 90%.

Obviously too much of a good prospect for some...
  • Options

So in this "real world" of yours, does everyone who smokes or drinks alcohol commit crime to feed their "habit"?

Ever asked yourself why not?

Remeber nicotine is one of the most addictive drugs known to man, several times higher than heroin...
  • Options
    I'd quite like to live in a liberal pansy world, it sounds like a nice place to me.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin

The bottom line is: drug taking is a victimless 'crime', and more importantly a matter of personal choice. No individual, entity, government or court has the right to tell others what they can or cannot do with their own bodies so long as it is not harming others.

Not directly harming others but the indirect effects could be quite serious.

I am sure you are well aware that a large portion of crime is drug motivated.

there is also the issue of the harm to friends and family of an individual who wrecks there lives with drugs.

Yes people are free to make their own choices but drug taking often reaches a stage where it is no longer a matter of choice.....
  • Options
    Blagsta, I have just read the whole thread and I must heartily congratulate you for your perseverance, truly impressive........:)
  • Options
    Some of you lot really should stay in the home counties.
  • Options
    Whose 'you lot'?

Are you suggesting that the opinions of southerners are soemwhat stereotypical?

I think not.........
  • Options
    Originally posted by godscop
    Some of you lot really should stay in the home counties.

For what reason? Do you have anything to add or should everyone take this as meaning "them"?
  • Options
    Toadborg; I understand your point, the most damaging drug use isnt done because of personal choice its done out of need.

However it is always misleading to discuss 'drugs' as one group. All drugs are different and should be treated as such. To suggest blanket answers to the 'drug problem' is just stupid.

Cannabis for example has been proven time and time again to be less harmful than both alcohol and smoking, but it remains illegal and the others not. But then powerful drugs like heroin and crack are a different matter altogether.

The drug laws as they stand dont work, there are upwards of ONE MILLION users of class A drugs in this country, many of whom feel they are doing nothing wrong and resent their criminalisation. This breeds an unfortunate distance between the people and the police force which makes solving crimes harder.
This discussion has been closed.