Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The Death Penalty

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Zella

No no i understood that bit, i just dnt understand why he said it. What did he mean by it? what is the streiotype for them?
  • Options
    giantno1, if you really think that bringing back the death penalty and "publicising it" is going to deter people from committing murder you have a very poor understanding of human nature and society.
  • Options
    aaah, yes I should have known that you'd argue for the basic rights and psychology of human beings on a topic like this (or any for that matter).

If only mentally-ill people commit attrocious crimes such as rape, abduction and murder then why are normal prisons full of people like this? Why not send them all to mental institutes? Surely this will help them more than being sent to prisons where they'll get ridiculed and abused daily?
  • Options
    Originally posted by giantno1
    The Death Penalty will benefit us though.

I think that if the executions are publicised enough (not necessarily shown live or anything, just giving newspaper coverage and television news summaries) then it will progressively deterr people from committing crimes which result in being given the death sentence.

In answer to Kermit's earlier argument that death row prisons will cost more and will be regularly filled:
    The crime committed to receive the death sentence will obviously have to be pretty severe. I doubt if the death penalty was used now that there would be that many people punished using it because attrocious crimes are not committed every day. Still to the people who are thinking of committing such crimes, it'll serve a nice reminder as to the consequences if caught.

And again I say: what about the Washington sniper? Or the Oklahoma bomber?

The US has ahd the death penalty since the eyar dot, and it is well publicised that it does- hell, theres several forests in Amnesty's back catalogue about it.

It diodnt stop some guy shooting people at petrol stations though. Ergo, the "deterrent" argument is rubbish.

And as, again, the US proves that death row is more expensive, the "emptying prisons" argument is rubbish.

Keep trying to justify it, its amusing.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Please be joking. Please.

Actually I'm not. I don't mean full blown disgusting experiments, but if there's DNA evidence to back up that somebody's done something then they can shortern their life sentence by allowing drugs to be tested on them...

Well I'm not 100% sure that I'd seriously re-enforce it... just an idea.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zella
    No no i understood that bit, i just dnt understand why he said it. What did he mean by it? what is the streiotype for them?

Middle class liberal do-gooders who know nothing about real life.
  • Options
    aaah, yes I should have known that you'd argue for the basic rights and psychology of human beings on a topic like this (or any for that matter).

So you don't think that everyone should have equal rights?
  • Options

Not someone who's raped numerous women, murdered numerous people, abducted numerous children or committed numerous terrorist acts.
  • Options
    They are still human beings. And miscarriages of justice are entirely possible. Also, if individuals don't have the right to take life, why should the state?
  • Options
    Not someone who's raped numerous women, murdered numerous people, abducted numerous children or committed numerous terrorist acts.
    How about just the one?
  • Options

Once they have commited a serious offence then they should not be treat as equals. Why should a murderer have the same rights as me ?
  • Options
    Every human being should be accorded basic rights and respect.
  • Options
    Every human being should be accorded basic rights and respect.

So now your saying basic rights ? The two are different thats all.
    Also a murderer will get no respect from me.
  • Options
    Everyone should have equal basic human rights and be afforded a basic respect. If you don't like it, I suggest you take it up with the United Nations.
  • Options
    Everyone should have equal basic human rights and be afforded a basic respect. If you don't like it, I suggest you take it up with the United Nations.

So lets assume someone murdered my Husband you want me to give the murderer respect ? Gawd you really are having a laugh...............arent you ?
    As I say basic rights and equal rights are two different things, so tell me which one we are discussing.
  • Options
    You are misunderstanding what I mean. Not respect as in "I really respect you maaaaaan, but simple basic respect that we should afford all human beings.
  • Options
    You are misunderstanding what I mean. Not respect as in "I really respect you maaaaaan, but simple basic respect that we should afford all human beings.

No you are missing my point, a person who murdered my hubby will get not one ounce of respect from me, in any way, shape or form.
    I would not want the murderer given the death penalty, Id want them to suffer just like I would be. Id want them to suffer like my Daughter would, you know she wouldnt have a Daddy no more. Id want the murderer to be in prison for a very long time, I would not want him to be allowed early release. I would want him to have to watch his back whilst in prison. Id want him to feel what its like to be afraid of wether the other inmates are going to lash out at him.
    If he took a life then he pays the price, if he cant do the time then dont do the crime.

oops this is all hypothetically, just in case there is any confusion here.
  • Options
    And that is the very reason why justice is impartial and is always depicted wearing a blindfold.

justice.jpg
  • Options
    Originally posted by godscop
    Leave that one till the trials over. Innocent until proven guilty. ;)

;)

Yea right.
  • Options
    I think the rights being discussed here are fundamental rights such as the right to life or the right not to be tortured. Which no crime in this world merits, and no person or government has the authority to administer.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    such as the right to life or the right not to be tortured.

Ok , fair comment.
    What about when someone has been beaten to death in a vicious attack, the attacker never gave one thought to the victims right to NOT be tortured or their right to live, they went ahead and done it.
    So then why should the offender have the right to not be tortured ? (not that I agree with full blown torture, make them suffer but not torture).
  • Options
    For the same reasons as most us believe he has the right not to be killed. Because we live in a so-called civilised society, and recognise that since murder and torture are totally illegal and unacceptable, the state hasn't got any more of a right to commit murder of torture than a member of the public.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Ok , fair comment.
    What about when someone has been beaten to death in a vicious attack, the attacker never gave one thought to the victims right to NOT be tortured or their right to live, they went ahead and done it.
    So then why should the offender have the right to not be tortured ? (not that I agree with full blown torture, make them suffer but not torture).

Never heard the saying "two wrongs don't make a right"?
  • Options
    Never heard the saying "two wrongs don't make a right"?

As I said I didnt agree with it, was merely questioning it further.
  • Options
    Fairynuff.
  • Options
    Id want the murderer to be in prison for a very long time, I would not want him to be allowed early release. I would want him to have to watch his back whilst in prison. Id want him to feel what its like to be afraid of wether the other inmates are going to lash out at him.

Do you realise that its not actually like that in prison.
    Ive spoken to a fair amount of people who have been in various different prisons and they say that murders tend to get respect fromt he other inmates. TBH the only one that have to watch their backs are the weak ones, and child abusers.
  • Options
    Having worked in a maximum security prison as a counselor during my college days I can concur with that assessment Zella.

There is, as they say, "a code amongst thieves" and in prison that amounts to two areas of crime that guarantee an inmate will be targetted pdq... Any crime against a child and any crime against a mother (one's own or anyone elses).

In the prison where I worked, they kept all sex offenders separated from general population for just that reason. The guys who had harmed a mother, however, in any way other than sexually (murder, brutality, etc.) weren't so lucky.
  • Options
    So then why should the offender have the right to not be tortured ?

But who would decide how much torture warranted torture? The victim? The victims family? An independent adjudicator?

If a guy is in prison he is being punished for his crimes. End of story.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit

If a guy is in prison he is being punished for his crimes. End of story.

But is he really ? If prison was that bad why do so many re-offend ?

I knew that sex offenders were tagetted in prison, but I have also heard stories about others having to watch their back also. Still im of the opinion if someone has done a terrible crime let them be scared shitless in there, they didnt think about the person they were killing or terrorising was petrified did they.
    Anyone who harms children deserves all they get in all honesty.
  • Options
    But is he really ? If prison was that bad why do so many re-offend ?

Depends what crime you're on about. But in the case of people who are offending to fund a drug habit, its usually because they receive no support on release. Even if they have cleaned up inside, most people tend to relapse on release.
    With others, crime is all they've known their whole lives, prison s normal to them, they've been institutionalised.
    Others still have suffered extreme poverty or abuse in their lives and are using drugs and crime as an escape.
    And others are just stupid.
This discussion has been closed.