Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

burglers' rights

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by monocrat
    How are you supposed to operate a gun without bullets?

Why would you want to use it anyway?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Why would you want to use it anyway?

Maybe to go hunting...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Shogun
    Maybe to go hunting...
    foxes?
  • Options
    People only oppose gun ownership because it scares them. Wimps. :lol:
  • Options
    People only oppose gun ownership because it scares them. Wimps. :lol:

Yeah and if you had gun pressed up against your chest by someone willing to shoot you you'd shit yourself just as much as anyone else would. Or would you be going "Come on punk, show me what you're made of." because that wouldn't be a wimpy thing to do - bloody stupid but not wimpy.

In fact it's usually the people who are most pro guns and violence who can't handle the consequences. The Nazis who ordered their men to create mass graves for the Jews by shooting them before the concentration camps went down there to give their soldiers a bollocking for being wimpy at having nervous breakdowns from shooting people - they ended up retching at the sight of those mass graves. Mono, I sincerely doubt you grasp the full impact of shooting another person or being shot yourself whether that be physical, mental or emotional.
  • Options
    Excuse me? Pointing a gun to one's chest would cause harm.

But the simple ownership of a gun DOES NOT.

I reckon a person can own anything, provided they don't harm others or infringe the rights of others whilst using it.
  • Options
    Excuse me? Pointing a gun to one's chest would cause harm.

But the simple ownership of a gun DOES NOT.

I reckon a person can own anything, provided they don't harm others or infringe the rights of others whilst using it.

If I just pointed a gun at your chest that wouldn't cause you any harm.
    If I fired a gun at your chest without any bullets in it that wouldn't cause you any harm.
    If I said I was going to kill you and pointed an empty gun at you that wouldn't cause you any harm.

But it would scare the shit out of you wouldn't it? That is because the sole purpose of a gun is to harm people. Therefore by owning a gun and doing what I said in the examples above you are illustrating that you are prepared to harm someone. Therefore it infringes the rights of others by being used as a weapon of intimidation whether it can do physical harm or not. Or would you just stand there if I fired a gun at you and take a chance it was empty?
  • Options
    Originally posted by kevlar85
    If I just pointed a gun at your chest that wouldn't cause you any harm.

It caused emotional harm.
    If I fired a gun at your chest without any bullets in it that wouldn't cause you any harm.
    If I said I was going to kill you and pointed an empty gun at you that wouldn't cause you any harm.

But it would scare the shit out of you wouldn't it? That is because the sole purpose of a gun is to harm people. Therefore by owning a gun and doing what I said in the examples above you are illustrating that you are prepared to harm someone. Therefore it infringes the rights of others by being used as a weapon of intimidation whether it can do physical harm or not. Or would you just stand there if I fired a gun at you and take a chance it was empty? [/B]

Idiot.

When have I EVER stated here that guns should be used to fire at others??

When?

I was right. Too many pussies here......
  • Options
    It caused emotional harm.
    Therefore all guns are weapons that infringe peoples rights and so shouldn't be allowed.

Idiot.

When?

Now, now Mono don't take it out on me because your argument is total bullshit. What else would you use a gun for? Clearing the drains perhaps? Or as some sort of alternative to a staple gun? The whole purpose of a gun is to be fired on others and preferable do them as much harm as possible.

You were wrong (yet again) just admit it. You would shit yourself if I pulled a gun on you, that's totally normal - now try using a little thing called logic to see that even if a gun is not used it causes harm and infringes your rights therefore it should be banned. A little more thought in your beliefs wouldn't go amiss before you started mouthing off on things you don't understand. :rolleyes:
  • Options

I was right.

Even though your wrong :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I'm not wrong here.
  • Options
    Yes you are.
  • Options

Idiot.

When?

pmsl!
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny
    Yeah - I know those cases, but in both (And particularly the first) the motivation was murder or rape not burglary, and just because some break-ins result in murder of the homeowner this doesn't mean all homeowners have a right to kill.

But you wouldn't know what their intentions were until it was too late. Life isn't a movie, you don't have time to run up a wall and flying kick them if they turn nasty so why would you want to wait to see if it's one of those 'nice wouldn't-hurt-a-fly burglers' when there's just as much chance of them being the total opposite and you ending up dead. 50-50 choice, live or die. What do you choose?

You keep saying how it was a child. Why does it make a difference? I doubt this kid would have gone on to cure cancer. If he was doing things like this already then further down the line the chance that he would be doing far worse things is very high. We pay taxes, we pay for our homes, these people do not. They want to take what we have away from us and I for one would not let them.

The gun matter is sketchy. On the one hand, being a farmer in a secluded area where you are an easy target would make you want to feel you had protection. On the other the law is the law and it was an illegal weapon. The fact that he shot him isn't the issue though. He could have thrown a knife at his head and achieved the same result. In similar circumstances I'd certainly reach for the most potent weapon avaliable to me at the time, be it my baseball bat or my candlestand or even a knife. He had a gun so he used it to protect himself. Possibly with the adrenaline pumping from fear he got carried away but still, it sends a clear message to other scum:

Infringe on my rights and I will defend myself by any means necessary. Don't fuck with me for you will come off worse.

Bet you a million quid he won't get burgled ever again
  • Options
    What you keep ignoring Kurt, is that the jury found that Martin did have the time to assert the burglar's intentions, was fully aware the burglar was trying to escape and his own life was not in danger, and yet took aim and shot him in the back as he was fleeing.

That is murder. There is no "it was dark, it was confusing, he didn't know what the burglar was doing, he thought the burglar was about to attack him" excuses. He knew the burglar was running away, and yet he shot him, murdered him on the spot like a rabid dog.

Are you saying you support the death penalty for burglary?
  • Options
    You were wrong (yet again) just admit it. You would shit yourself if I pulled a gun on you, that's totally normal - now try using a little thing called logic to see that even if a gun is not used it causes harm and infringes your rights therefore it should be banned. A little more thought in your beliefs wouldn't go amiss before you started mouthing off on things you don't understand.

Well duh.

If you use that gun to cause harm, then yes it should be clamped down on. If you don't then no one should bother you. Understand?:rolleyes:
  • Options
    I understand what you are getting at Monocrat, in that gun ownership in of itself doesnt harm anyone, and that this principle extends to everything else too.
    But, dont you think that you are putting slightly too much trust in the hands of people who cant make rational descisions.

The A-bomb for example, do you trust every single person responsible enough to own one of these?
  • Options
    Yes.
  • Options
    Well duh.

If you use that gun to cause harm, then yes it should be clamped down on. If you don't then no one should bother you. Understand?:rolleyes:

We established that even if you don't use the gun to fire on someone the mere fact that you point it at someone causes emotional harm and so infringes on their rights. Therefore you should not own a gun because it infringes on others rights because however you use it, a gun is solely an instrument of harm be it mental or physical. Why should you own a gun in those circumstances when whenever you use it you infringe someone's rights? Or do you just want a gun because it would look pretty? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Why are you jumping to conclusions?

Who here has said that guns should be used to shoot others? Can you answer that?

I state that a gun should be used in any way that does not harm another person.

THAT is not so difficult to understand.
  • Options

Well for gawds sake tell us why you want a gun, what would you do with a gun, keep it in your bottom drawer :rolleyes:
  • Options

Who here has said that guns should be used to shoot others? Can you answer that?

did you even read Kevlar's post. he wasn't talking about shooting anyone. he was talking about pointing the gun at someone.
  • Options

Yes, how silly of me to assume that you'd actually use the object you so desperately want to possess. :rolleyes:

You use a car to drive;
    You use an oven to cook;
    You use a gun to harm people.

That is the sole purpose of a gun or the gun has no purpose because it isn't being used therefore you don't need it and shouldn't own one.

The whole point is that any way that a gun is used it does harm other people, be it intimidation or actual physical harm. It is difficult to understand because it is complete bollocks, it is a contradiction in terms because the whole reason for a gun is to harm people in one way or another.

I wouldn't give you access to a water pistol let alone something that could actually harm someone.
  • Options
    The fact that it can 'harm someone' is not wholly relevant. Why can't people own guns to protect themselves or their property?

In Canada gun ownership is more common yet violent crimes are of similar levels to here.
  • Options
    I think people should be allowed hand grenedes and missiles too. Just because we have the right to own them :p
  • Options
    And nukes. And intercontinental ballistic missiles. And anthax. And sarin. And VX gas. Isn't that right mono?
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    I think people should be allowed hand grenedes and missiles too. Just because we have the right to own them :p
    why would anyone think it should be 'allowed' then ...why bother ...the people who want guns and grenades have got them.
    by all accounts it's easy to buy these weapons and more already. so what would be the point in 'allowing' it?
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    why would anyone think it should be 'allowed' then ...why bother ...the people who want guns and grenades have got them.
    by all accounts it's easy to buy these weapons and more already. so what would be the point in 'allowing' it?

Aye man, had a gun pointed at me when I was with me mates in Wrexham last week 'cause we wouldn't get in a car. It was only a replica mind, but damn mancunions think they're above the law in Wales and the police thought we were racist 'cause we said they were Asian.... But they were really Asian! :lol:
  • Options
    Aye man, had a gun pointed at me when I was with me mates in Wrexham last week 'cause we wouldn't get in a car. It was only a replica mind, but damn mancunions think they're above the law in Wales and the police thought we were racist 'cause we said they were Asian.... But they were really Asian! :lol:
    those pesky injuns have got their hands on guns again!
    it'll be liqour next ...
  • Options
    Aye man, had a gun pointed at me when I was with me mates in Wrexham
    right ! hello C ...whats with the disguise then?