Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

burglers' rights

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    He had the gun for protection, he broke the law, i'm sure most people have broken the law at some point in their life, he shot a burgular who broke into his home with an illegal fire arm, that dosen't look good at all, but he is out now and should never have went into jail in the first place, whenever someone breaks into a house their rights should be left at the window/door.
  • Options
    Not the right to life. No one has the right to murder someone.

For the millionth time, the case of Tony Martin was not self defence. It wasn't an accidental death either. It was murder. Rather than not being sent to jail at all, the only disgrace here is that he served little over 3 years for the senseless and brutal murder of a 16 year old man, and all thanks to the limitless power of the fascist press.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Shogun
    whenever someone breaks into a house their rights should be left at the window/door.
    is just while they are inside the house or forever.
    do you mean that as soon as someone breaks the law they lose their rights? and does that include the right to justice.
  • Options
    Plus as I said earlier, saying that the leave thier rights at the door is justifying any action what so ever on the part of the home owner, where does this stop?

He should have gone to jail for the illegal firearm alone, if I knew my nieghboor had a pump action shot gun I know I'd want them locked up. Would you be happy knowing some one on your street who the police classed as too dangerous to own a gun of any sort had a pump action shot gun?
  • Options
    He was banned from having a gun because the police thought he was a danger. Clearly they were right.
  • Options
    ... and what are your views on the original question ...considering your well thought out responses to do with one nutcase farmer?
  • Options
    A lot of people seem to think that rights should be levelled out - you can only do what the burglar does. Why should s\he have the right to set the standard?
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda

He should have gone to jail for the illegal firearm alone, if I knew my nieghboor had a pump action shot gun I know I'd want them locked up. Would you be happy knowing some one on your street who the police classed as too dangerous to own a gun of any sort had a pump action shot gun?

Why?

Gun ownership should be legal.
  • Options
    That's what you would like. Unfortunately for you 99.999999999999999999999% of the public disagrees.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Not the right to life. No one has the right to murder someone.

In some instances people have the right to murder someone.

Did you know 50% of all statisics are made up on the spot. ;)

I think its funny that in the past 50 years ago people have had less and less general respect for each other. This conincides with the campaign for more and more ridiculous human rights, coincedence i think not.

Cleary he wasn't a danger to people who went about normal lives. He was a danger to criminals, criminals who some of you are defending.
    If he didn't have a shotgun and the burglars ended up killing him you'd probably be saying ohh they dont deserve to be put in prison for 25 years for killing a mad, lonely farmer. Dont blame them blame their upbringing their tough lifes anything but them.
    Its so simple, if he wasn't there he wouldn't be dead. He was there he is dead, thats one more scum off the streets. Martin served his time, i think 3 years is probably right, in a ideal world he wouldn't have served a sentence at all, maybe given a medal. But i recognise that killing people shouldn't go unpunished but the law is totally screwed regarding reasonable force.

Why don't some of you invite burglars to come and take your stuff, put a sign on your door 'burglars welcome'
  • Options
    Originally posted by monocrat
    Why?

Gun ownership should be legal.

It doesn't matter one bit if YOU think it should be...bottom line is its NOT!! And anyone who decides to break the law should accept the consequences if they are caught!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    That's what you would like. Unfortunately for you 99.999999999999999999999% of the public disagrees.

It's their loss.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skeeter Thompson
    In some instances people have the right to murder someone.

Did you know 50% of all statisics are made up on the spot. ;)

I think its funny that in the past 50 years ago people have had less and less general respect for each other. This conincides with the campaign for more and more ridiculous human rights, coincedence i think not.

Cleary he wasn't a danger to people who went about normal lives. He was a danger to criminals, criminals who some of you are defending.
    If he didn't have a shotgun and the burglars ended up killing him you'd probably be saying ohh they dont deserve to be put in prison for 25 years for killing a mad, lonely farmer. Dont blame them blame their upbringing their tough lifes anything but them.
    Its so simple, if he wasn't there he wouldn't be dead. He was there he is dead, thats one more scum off the streets. Martin served his time, i think 3 years is probably right, in a ideal world he wouldn't have served a sentence at all, maybe given a medal. But i recognise that killing people shouldn't go unpunished but the law is totally screwed regarding reasonable force.

Why don't some of you invite burglars to come and take your stuff, put a sign on your door 'burglars welcome'

I am defending their right to life, which fortunately in civilised countries is granted to everybody.

You are wrong that in some instances is okay to murder someone; it isn't. In some instances it's acceptable to kill someone. A killing and a murder are two different things. Martin murdered that boy; he didn't kill him in self-defence or in an accidental death. He was aware the boy was running away, he was aware his own life was not in danger, and yet he took aim and shot him in the back like a rabid dog, probably yelling "take that you c*nt!" as he shot.

That some people see nothing wrong with that is a fucking disgrace. I would recommend them to emigrate to less civilised countries that allow such practices where they will be happy living amongst their own. In here fortunately we do not believe in the death penalty for any crimes- least of all for burglary- nor in the right of anybody to become judge, jury and executioner and dispatch ‘sentences’ at will.
  • Options
    I read a quote somewhere, it said
    ``It said " Over the centuries there evolved an implicit contract: in return for our renouncing our right to defend ourselves, the state undertook to do it for us. Now the authorities cannot defend us adequately - but are reluctant to redress the balance``

As far as the law is concerned, Someone else breaking the law doesnt give you the right to break the law in response, although they should take into account that most people would react similarly in similar circumstances.
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny
    It doesn't matter one bit if YOU think it should be...bottom line is its NOT!! And anyone who decides to break the law should accept the consequences if they are caught!!

Of course not. Why is that an issue?
  • Options
    eh!! You say gun ownership should be legal...I'm saying its not so therefore anyone who owns a pump action shot gun illegally and then uses it should be dealt with by the courts.

thats all
  • Options
    monocrat; would wide gun ownership make us a safer people? Or perhaps would we end up like the US where everyone carrys a gun and the murder rate is much higher.
  • Options
    Gun ownership is also about individual freedom.
  • Options
    Gun ownership is also about individual freedom.
    was that an answer to bongbuddas question or justa random statement.
  • Options
    I can understand the reason for hunting guns (although I'm not a great fan of hunting) but what possible reason is there for anyone to hold a gun of this nature, let alone something like a automatic pistol?

I'd aggree with you about it being a personal freedom issue, but in this case I think the rights of society clearly out wiegh that of the individual.
  • Options
    The rights of society should never supercede the rights of the individual.
  • Options
    The rights of society should never supercede the rights of the individual.

what do you mean by that?
  • Options
    Exactly as I stated. There's no hidden meaning.
  • Options
    Exactly as I stated. There's no hidden meaning.

well i wouldn't have asked the question if i understood. could you provide an example?
  • Options
    An 'example' would be a person owning a gun.

The simple ownership of the gun does not harm anyone or infringe on their rights.

People are too pussified these days.
  • Options
    Yes, indeed, and the same applies to nuclear weapons right?

I mean, what a bunch of pussies and control freaks they all are for not allowing you to own a nuclear warhead or two eh monocrat?

Can we give the issue a rest? Or at least create its own thread for it...
  • Options
    Why not?
  • Options
    What about this then....everyone is allowed a gun but bullets are banned???
  • Options
    How are you supposed to operate a gun without bullets?

OK I get it...with bulles it ain't safe.....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Why not?

Because.