Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

burglers' rights

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    EVERYONE should have guns. What are the chances of someone committing armed robbery of a bank where everyone there is also carrying a firearm?

Yet there's the whole children with them accidentally killing themselves issue.
  • Options
    Judging by the number of armed robberies in the States, where everyone is armed to the teeth, I'd say the chances of armed robberies in countries where arms are legal are the same if not greater.

An armed population is no deterrent. You will only force robbers, muggers and burglars to equip themselves with a mini-arsenal.

The whole thing is a bit like trying to put out a fire with gasoline.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kurt
    EVERYONE should have guns. What are the chances of someone committing armed robbery of a bank where everyone there is also carrying a firearm?

Yet there's the whole children with them accidentally killing themselves issue.

So? That's the parents fault.
  • Options
    Much easier not allowing guns, which are not needed for anything whatsoever, and everyone is happy.

Everyone apart than monocrat, that is. :lol:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Much easier not allowing guns, which are not needed for anything whatsoever, and everyone is happy.

Everyone apart than monocrat, that is. :lol:

Nevermind, he'll have to live with it. :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by monocrat
    The fact that it can 'harm someone' is not wholly relevant. Why can't people own guns to protect themselves or their property?

In Canada gun ownership is more common yet violent crimes are of similar levels to here.

The fact is can harm someone is wholly relevant according to your own logic. You state frequently that you believe that a person should do what they like unless it infringes the rights of others - well you admit yourself a gun harms someone else thus infringing their rights so it shouldn't be allowed.

That's because the Canadians don't use their guns to defend themselves, Canadians own guns for hunting purposes and are mainly locked in cupboards most of the time. If you want to see a country where people are allowed guns for the reason of defending themselves you need to look to Canada's southern neighbour...
  • Options
    Originally posted by kevlar85
    The fact is can harm someone is wholly relevant according to your own logic. You state frequently that you believe that a person should do what they like unless it infringes the rights of others - well you admit yourself a gun harms someone else thus infringing their rights so it shouldn't be allowed.

The ownership of a gun does not infringe on anyone's rights. There's a difference between being harmed (which everyone here says is wrong) and a person having their rights infringed.

Seeing people in goth clothing harms and offends me but it doesn't infringe on my rights.

That's because the Canadians don't use their guns to defend themselves, Canadians own guns for hunting purposes and are mainly locked in cupboards most of the time. If you want to see a country where people are allowed guns for the reason of defending themselves you need to look to Canada's southern neighbour...

People in the US hunt too.
  • Options
    The ownership of a gun does not infringe on anyone's rights.
    [quote
    Using that gun in anyway does though therefore making it pretty pointless because under your own logic you could have a gun locked in a cupboard but you couldn't use it because it would infringe on the burglar's rights - hence owning a gun in the first place is completely pointless.

People in the US hunt too.
    In New York? Los Angeles? These are the places where most gun crime takes place - last time I heard they weren't heards of antelope going down Wall Street or buffalo grazing in Beverly Hills. In America the main reason for owning a gun is for self-defence (be it property or personal) and you see the results in their huge gun crime statistics.
  • Options
    Using that gun in anyway does though therefore making it pretty pointless because under your own logic you could have a gun locked in a cupboard but you couldn't use it because it would infringe on the burglar's rights - hence owning a gun in the first place is completely pointless.

Not in all cases. A burglar violates one's right to property. If you violate the rights of others you should get punished.

In New York? Los Angeles? These are the places where most gun crime takes place - last time I heard they weren't heards of antelope going down Wall Street or buffalo grazing in Beverly Hills. In America the main reason for owning a gun is for self-defence (be it property or personal) and you see the results in their huge gun crime statistics.

:rolleyes: More fear again......
  • Options
    Not in all cases. A burglar violates one's right to property. If you violate the rights of others you should get punished.
    I thought you believed that anything that infringes someone else's rights is wrong. Two wrongs don't make a right.

:rolleyes: More fear again......
    I'm sorry if the truth frightens you Mono.... welcome to the real world.
  • Options
    I thought you believed that anything that infringes someone else's rights is wrong. Two wrongs don't make a right.

I do. I don't need that pointed out to me. :lol: If you violate someone's rights you get punished. Sorry but that's the way rights theory works......

I'm sorry if the truth frightens you Mono.... welcome to the real world.

No, I'm saying YOU are scared. The reason why people oppose gun ownership is because they fear being shot!!
    :lol:
  • Options
    I do. I don't need that pointed out to me. :lol: If you violate someone's rights you get punished. Sorry but that's the way rights theory works......
    Surely the punishment is for the judiciary to decide - if a homeowner defends their property by infringing the rights of the burglar they too face punishment for infringing the burglars rights by the judiciary as the Tony Martin case demonstrated.

No, I'm saying YOU are scared. The reason why people oppose gun ownership is because they fear being shot!!
    :lol:
    Yes, silly me for being scared at the thought of everyone in the country including nutcases like you being armed. How silly of people opposing gun ownership on silly technicalities such as the risk to life obviously the property rights of someone's video player are far more important eh Mono? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    in the days when crime level was low ...robbers used to be thrown in the slammer ...mean slammer. not sent mowing fucking lawns!
    make me laugh with all this make believe that has somehow become a human rights bleedin' issue.
    we'll be teaching burglars how to be polite when on the job ...you mark my words, on billboards near you soon;
    if you must rob ...be polite. remember ...these people are your victim ...be kind to your victims and we will be kind to you ... gordon bennet what the fuck is happening to my world!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    gordon bennet what the fuck is happening to my world!!!!!!!!

mp's and the goverment are fucking it up thats what
  • Options
    Originally posted by Rude_boyz
    mp's and the goverment are fucking it up thats what
    who do i blame? the chattering bleedin' classes thats who! oh for fucks sake they can debate. and they can debate again and ...the art of talking ...no problem solving skills needed ...
  • Options
    Have you writen to your MP about the issue? S/he is there to represent you, same as the government, theres no point in just bitching about it if your not going to do anything.

To be honest I think if everyone who went on the march in London against the war had writen to their MP about the issue it may well have made more impact.

The government wont listen unless you vote!
  • Options
    Surely the punishment is for the judiciary to decide - if a homeowner defends their property by infringing the rights of the burglar they too face punishment for infringing the burglars rights by the judiciary as the Tony Martin case demonstrated.

The burglar first infringed one's rights!!! So he received a punishment for doing so. The moral is simple; don't violate others property. :cool:
  • Options
    No, the moral is rather different: in civilised societies we don't believe in individuals becoming judge, jury and executioners; nor do we believe that burglary should carry the death penalty.

Anyone who believes it's okay to murder a burglar and acts upon that thought will rot in jail, just like Martin has (albeit not nearly long enough for a murderer).
  • Options
    as an ex criminal i think i can speak not only for myself but many others ...when you commit a crime you know the risks and penalties. fellow ex crooks are laughing at the stupidity of todays ideas regarding the fight against crime. air conditioned police cells in many areas. tv and telephones in many jails. good food, good gym good service from the screws.
    what happened to punishment and retribution then?
    the fact that robbers have rights seems fucking ludicrous to robbers! there will be an official job description and union for burglars the way were going. when a burglar falls off your roof and breaks his leg he''ll not only claim on your house insurance but also get a sick note off the doc entitling him to claim benefit until he can get back to ...'work'.
    ok ...who's for drawing up a criminals work and benefits paper for the government to look at? what are a burglars pension entitlements? etc etc.
    some of you people may be inteligent in some ways but when it comes to ordering 'reality' ...you make me laugh! ...and a lot of other villains.
  • Options
    The burglar first infringed one's rights!!! So he received a punishment for doing so. The moral is simple; don't violate others property. :cool:

So two wrongs make a right then? So you would value a video recorder above the human life of the burglar?
  • Options
    as an ex criminal i think i can speak not only for myself but many others ...when you commit a crime you know the risks and penalties. fellow ex crooks are laughing at the stupidity of todays ideas regarding the fight against crime. air conditioned police cells in many areas. tv and telephones in many jails. good food, good gym good service from the screws.
    what happened to punishment and retribution then?
    the fact that robbers have rights seems fucking ludicrous to robbers! there will be an official job description and union for burglars the way were going. when a burglar falls off your roof and breaks his leg he''ll not only claim on your house insurance but also get a sick note off the doc entitling him to claim benefit until he can get back to ...'work'.
    ok ...who's for drawing up a criminals work and benefits paper for the government to look at? what are a burglars pension entitlements? etc etc.
    some of you people may be inteligent in some ways but when it comes to ordering 'reality' ...you make me laugh! ...and a lot of other villains.

MR I agree with you that the judges are too soft on criminals and that liberal Guardian readers have had too much of a say on our justice system. However, that doesn't mean that I want everyone armed which would increase the likelihood of burglars being armed with a gun. That would just be going from one extreme to another.
  • Options
    i've just seen todays daily mirror ...an old lady of 85 finds a guy in her living room. she lives on the ground floor of sheltered housing. the guy who broke in knew there could only be a frail and defrnceless person in there. he punched her so hard she landed in the kitchen. now he could have forced her to sit down and shut up but no ...thats not how it's done is it.
    he'd have had a shock if i'd been staying over the night as i would have completely lost it seeing cowardly scum like that punching my granny. i would probably have disabled him for life ...
    you lot stick up for shite like this!
    and i don't think many of us want a gun or want to kill ...but this guy could well have died at my hands ...i'd expect you all to back me and my gran ...not lock me up for being a murderer.
  • Options
    i would probably have disabled him for life ...

But you would be called all the bad bastards for that, wouldnt you :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    But you would be called all the bad bastards for that, wouldnt you :rolleyes:
    sticks and stones may break my bones but a burglar could easily kill me ...
  • Options
    So two wrongs make a right then? So you would value a video recorder above the human life of the burglar?

Yes.
  • Options
    Yes.

Yeah ok then 49_49.gif
  • Options
    In my opinion, this is just a small segment of the big screwed up mess that Britain is. One of the big powers of the world? Wake up Blair! We're falling apart at the seams!

We have a soft prison system where criminals can get away with whatever they want. Oh yeah, and few police to even catch you in the first place.

We have a soft benefit system where anyone can easily cheat money out of the system.

We have poor immigrants that can't speak English flooding into the country and skilled rich Brits emmigrating out.

We have an education system that is failing most of our children.

We have a mockery of an NHS where superbugs are thriving and waiting lists are far too long.

And what do you get if you keep on the straight and narrow and put up with all of this?

Taxes! Lots and lots of taxes!

Council tax, recently increased national insurance, 17.5% VAT on everything you buy, income tax, the huge amounts of extra tax on petrol and cigarettes. You even get half of your belongings taken away from you as tax when you die!

Wow, in a society like this, I wonder why I don't feel very patriotic.

Rant over.
  • Options
    I might point out that waiting lists are actualy down since labour came to power and a report out by the Lord Chief Justice came to the conclusion that we're not going 'soft'. But then none of you would listen anyway.

If you dont like the tax system or government here, either move or talk to you MP and do something about it!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Preciosa
    We have a mockery of an NHS where superbugs are thriving and waiting lists are far too long.

Off Topic:

a) We actually look for these bugs now, and have systematic checks in place. eg Every patient having an Orthopaedic operation is checked. This never used to happen and the simple rule is if you start looking harder you will find more.

It's not that these bugs a thriving, it's more that we now know that they are there and probably always have been.

Oh, and they are very hard to treat, so I wouldn't blame the NHS for not being able to prevent them completely. After all we still haven't found a cure for death yet and we don't blame the NHS for all of those. DO we?

b) Waiting Lists. Yes I agree, they are too long. They are only half as long as they were in 1996 though.

Best not to take what the tabloid print on face value.

On topic:

Vigilantism is not the answer, and shouldn't be seen as the answer. Once we do that we accept that violence is the solution and that it's okay to inflict bodily harm. We also accept that we cannot police society and that would be a mistake too. It would be a slippery slope towards total anarchy.

I agree that if faced with an intruder I would resort to violence if necessary to protect my family, but the bigger can have my TV and Video. They are materiel things and can be replaced.

Oh, and I would expect to be charged. I wouldn't expect to get off scot-free.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Preciosa
    In my opinion, this is just a small segment of the big screwed up mess that Britain is. One of the big powers of the world? Wake up Blair! We're falling apart at the seams!

We have a soft prison system where criminals can get away with whatever they want. Oh yeah, and few police to even catch you in the first place.

We have a soft benefit system where anyone can easily cheat money out of the system.

We have poor immigrants that can't speak English flooding into the country and skilled rich Brits emmigrating out.

We have an education system that is failing most of our children.

And what do you get if you keep on the straight and narrow and put up with all of this?

Taxes! Lots and lots of taxes!

Council tax, recently increased national insurance, 17.5% VAT on everything you buy, income tax, the huge amounts of extra tax on petrol and cigarettes. You even get half of your belongings taken away from you as tax when you die!

Wow, in a society like this, I wonder why I don't feel very patriotic.

Rant over.

Is your name Rebekah Wade by any chance? ;)