Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Interesting information

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sopite, very well spoken. But your comments will probably fall on deaf ears. Some people need big bad life to dump some serious crap on them to see the light. They disparage GREENHAT but would not trade places with him. They seem to think that they have the answer without having any life experiances to back it up. Someday they will know and changes will happen to their exspensive opinions. Remember "Freedom has a taste the protected will never know".
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    I wrote that they didn't seem to have any research into guns. I meant with reference to crime.
    Anyone could tell that. You read that and bring in the stuff about the army that has no relevance to this topic.

The Army doesn't bear arms?

You made the statement. Read it. Think about it.
    People with guns, demonstrate a willingness to use them, in the country and inyour own. That is why they are banned.

Want to explain how the military doesn't qualify as "people with guns"?
  • Options
    Originally posted by osmotic

Lol ;)

I reckon that the greenthing is most probably a complete coward :)

Hey big boy....fancy a roll in the hay :D

Come take a walk in Myanmar. You can find out. :D
  • Options
    Tell you what. Let's make a bet. I'll bet you those statistics do exist. But you're going to give me your real name, phone number and house address so I can collect on the bet when you lose. I'll happily give you my name, address and phone number so you can make sure you collect if I lose (I won't).

Bullshitter extraordinaire :D

I'll bet that you are just a frustrated old man who likes to dish out wanky threats to those who would be quite able to whup your ass in a ten minute meeting at the boy scouts annual jamboree.

As for statistics.....don't make me laugh :D

Come on big boy, post them up, lets see those figures.....

Twat :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Uncle Joe
    Heeeeyyyy... how you doin'? :naughty:;)

Hiya Joe ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by osmotic

Bullshitter extraordinaire :D

I'll bet that you are just a frustrated old man who likes to dish out wanky threats to those who would be quite able to whup your ass in a ten minute meeting at the boy scouts annual jamboree.

As for statistics.....don't make me laugh :D

Come on big boy, post them up, lets see those figures.....

Twat :)

What's wrong? Can't afford 100 pounds?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Greenhat

The Army doesn't bear arms?

You made the statement. Read it. Think about it.

Want to explain how the military doesn't qualify as "people with guns"?

Because this is a topic about civilians using guns. DOH! You've shown yourself unable to defend your argument so you've just brought up loads of pointless crap about soldiers.
  • Options

What's wrong? Can't afford 100 pounds?

Waaahaaay.......big gob is finally losing the plot. :D
  • Options

Because this is a topic about civilians using guns. DOH! You've shown yourself unable to defend your argument so you've just brought up loads of pointless crap about soldiers.

No. It's about people and guns. You made generalized statements that are utter and total bullshit based on nothing but your lack of thought. Others have made comments based on experience (of which you have none) and academic information as well (which you have chosen to ignore). And all you can claim is "common sense".
  • Options
    ......and it's a goodnight from me :)

Mr Teddy Bear is telling me to slip under the covers for a quick cuddle. It's nice to be able to love :)
  • Options

No. It's about people and guns. You made generalized statements that are utter and total bullshit based on nothing but your lack of thought. Others have made comments based on experience (of which you have none) and academic information as well (which you have chosen to ignore). And all you can claim is "common sense".

No I made statements based on the effects that gun has on crime.
    You couldn't win that argument.
  • Options
    Jacqueline the Ripper

I was feeling all reassured about this Greencat, and then he starts trying to get hold of poster's addresses and starts trying to take them on dubious nature trails.

Maybe he cant just debate, maybe he really does have to back it up with physical threats after all.

Maybe thats why you're a bit worried about osmotic expressing her view so candidly.

I think I'll just try and remember that Greenbat is a made up name of a person who posts profusely on debating boards, and can't really follow the threats through.

But I agree with you, it is quite alarming behaviour.

:(
  • Options
    Whowhere, you have to realise that members of the armed services are the least likely to even consider any rationale for the reduction or limitation of gun ownership in US. The argument has passed so far into the realm of the emotional that now its our "right" not only to "bear arms" but to bear the most sophisticated firearms we wish despite the fact that no citizen needs nor should be packing an M-16 or any other assault rifle (neither for hunting nor for supposed "self defence").

Its the same response youd get if you brough up abortion in any US street.

We Americans have gotten to the point as a nation that everything (and everything to any excess we desire) is our "right" regardless of its potential detriment to the condition of our society. But then forgive us, we're only a few hundred years old as a nation and haven't learned to play amongst ourselves or with the other school kids nicely yet. ;)
  • Options
    So Clandestine, you never answered, will my mere 16 years of experience, pass through your needle head of valid ground to base my opinions on?

Or am I doomed, and won't pass through that, until I completely change my views, close my eyes, sing some kum baya, and by that accept that the world is suddenly a better place, filled with rays of sunshine, and no clouds?
  • Options
    Jacqueline, whilst I appreciate your fervor no end and cannot begin to fathom where in Denmark you might have lived under such attrocious violence, I think many adults would agree that at 16 youve got a ways to go yet in gaining insight into how the world works and that there is always more than one way to deal with geo-political problems.

But feel free to adopt the hard line answer of our combatant members and kill whatever displeases you! *straps on kevlar vest*

The rest of what you wrote is too absurd to comment, but then i suppose you are smart enough to recognise that much.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Jacqueline, whilst I appreciate your fervor no end and cannot begin to fathom where in Denmark you might have lived under such attrocious violence, I think many adults would agree that at 16 youve got a ways to go yet in gaining insight into how the world works and that there is always more than one way to deal with geo-political problems.

First of all, who said that all of this had happened in Denmark? :confused:
    Hence, why I asked you to concider me as an individual, and not to base your assumptions of me on gender, age and nationality (or which ever other variables you might use).

Not only adults, but people my age, and even me (yup, Jacq the Ripper herself) will agree that at 16 there are still lessons to be learnt.
    Though, do you think that all of my experiences are invalid, and only when I reach the mature age of 18, I am allowed to have opinions?
    *looks forward to the 9th of May 2004* :hyper:

In case you didn't catch the sarcasm- that's bullshit.

If you are still going to use age, as an obstacle for opinion-making, then you should in reality back the eldest of the posters on this board up, meaning sopite and Diesel. :eek:
    After all, not only are they the eldest, but they actually have some experience on the subjects which they are talking about.

I now, expect to see you backing them up at every given opportunity.

Again, expecting that the only "real life" I have ever experienced comes from Hollywood teen-movies and fashion magazines, based only on my age and placement, is merely prejudice at its highest.
    But feel free to adopt the hard line answer of our combatant members and kill whatever displeases you! *straps on kevlar vest*

It's not what displeases me, but what threatens me, and could turn out to be fatal for me.

If it was, what displeased me, then I'm afraid that you wouldn't have the chance of strapping on that vest. ;)
    The rest of what you wrote is too absurd to comment, but then i suppose you are smart enough to recognise that much.

You, calling me smart? Is it the Day of Judgement? :confused:
  • Options
    Jacqueline, whilst I appreciate your fervor no end and cannot begin to fathom where in Denmark you might have lived under such attrocious violence, I think many adults would agree that at 16 youve got a ways to go yet in gaining insight into how the world works ...

To save a few pages here, I expect that it will not betray confidences too severely to remind you that "the Danish Buttercookie" has spent enough time in Israel to have viewed first hand what most only are able to speculate about.

Is hardly surprising to many of us that her perspective on the world in many ways dovetails with others who have real world experience, rather than those who have merely hours/years of idealistic speculation.

To quote from the Book of James: "rejoice in your tribulations..."

I have never thought those tribulations ennobled a person, but they tend to knock the crap out of your head, and clear your vision toward reality, and those things which matter most to you. It delivers you to a place where the bullshit is revealed for what it is... simply bullshit.

Perhaps it is time for your own experience in getting the crap knocked out of you? It will not ennoble you, but it might edify you...
  • Options

No I made statements based on the effects that gun has on crime.
    You couldn't win that argument.

Actually, the statistics don't bear you out. You compare two nations. Compare the segments of the nations instead. Large portions of the United States (generally those that allow the carrying of weapons) are safer than most of the United Kingdom. The parts of the United States that are the most dangerous are the parts with the most stringent gun control laws. In other words, exactly the opposite of what you claim.
  • Options
    Whowhere, you have to realise that members of the armed services are the least likely to even consider any rationale for the reduction or limitation of gun ownership in US. The argument has passed so far into the realm of the emotional that now its our "right" not only to "bear arms" but to bear the most sophisticated firearms we wish despite the fact that no citizen needs nor should be packing an M-16 or any other assault rifle (neither for hunting nor for supposed "self defence").

Its the same response youd get if you brough up abortion in any US street.

We Americans have gotten to the point as a nation that everything (and everything to any excess we desire) is our "right" regardless of its potential detriment to the condition of our society. But then forgive us, we're only a few hundred years old as a nation and haven't learned to play amongst ourselves or with the other school kids nicely yet. ;)

Rights

A look at the mind
  • Options

So glad to hear your opinion of psychological makeup. And your credentials?

Fortunately, those who actually have the credentials and have done the research, disagree with you. Dennis Charney M.D. Ph.D and Nancy Anreasen Ph.D come to mind...

Yes they do :)

So Greengob got any statistics yet? Or are you just a complete bullshitter whose credibility on these boards diminishes on an hourly basis.

Hehehe:D This is going to be fun. Come on Greeny......Post them up......You know it makes sense :crazyeyes

Shall we build it?

Yes we shall :)

(taps fingers on pooter desk)

(whistles)

(checks watch)

(gives the gob 5 minutes to prove that he isn't a lying imbecile and decides to...........)
  • Options
    ......post up my own information on these two (well one really) psychiatrists.

Dennis S. Charney, M.D. is the Chief of the Mood and Anxiety Disorder Resnderstanding of the causes and treatment of psychiatric disorders. He currently chairs the Scientific Advisory Board of the Anxiety Disorders Association of America (ADAA) and the National Depressive and Manic Depression Association (NDMDA). Dr. Charney has published over 400 original papers and chapters. He has edited Neurobiology of Mental Illness, published by Oxford Press, and is the editor of the journal Biological Psychiatry. Since 1992, Dr. Charney has been listed in every edition of the Best Doctors in America.

http://lcmedia.com/SoM/participants.htm

Dennis Charney, M.D., Chief of the Mood and Anxiety Disorders Research Program at the National Institute of Mental Health, will address "Psychopharmacology Policy and Practice," including new developments in medications.

http://www.naphs.org/News/InfluencingBH2001AM.html

Mood Disorders
    Dennis Charney, M.D., chief, Mood and Anxiety Disorders Program, National Institute of Mental Health, Bethesda, MD (invited)

[URL= http://www.nami.org/convention/program/Saturday/saturday.html] http://www.nami.org/convention/program/Saturday/saturday.html[/URL]

Your search - Nancy Anreasen Ph.D - did not match any documents.

Suggestions:

- Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
    - Try different keywords.
    - Try more general keywords.
    - Try fewer keywords.

Guns? Guns? Who mentioned Guns?

:naughty:
  • Options
    Its quite amusing Jacqueline, to see you so inflamed by assumptions of what my view on the legitimacy of your experiences is, despite the fact that nowhere did i say any of these things you have turned around and ascribed (wrongly) to me.

Guess youre as good as Sopite (Thantos) at dishing it out according to your defensive attitude, but not able to actually focus on what people are really saying.

But to assuage your obviously troubled sensibilities, of course your experiences are valid. So too are the experiences of those on the other side who might have lived or currently be living under constant threat, or the pain of lost loved ones, wherever or in whatever situation they may be.

This "reality" of which you, reverse, and Thanatos like to throw in other's faces isnt some absolute reality as defined by any of you three. You have your subjective realities as does any other "individual" on the planet and surprise surprise, they can be as divergent as night and day. Unless of course youve some previous undeclared dispensation to speak on behalf of every context of every person or group currently on the planet!

If so, kindly weigh all the variables involved before making rash presumptions and even more rash solutions, humanity will be ever so grateful for the effort. ;)
  • Options
    Its quite amusing Jacqueline, to see you so inflamed by assumptions of what my view on the legitimacy of your experiences is, despite the fact that nowhere did i say any of these things you have turned around and ascribed (wrongly) to me.
    I think many adults would agree that at 16 youve got a ways to go yet in gaining insight into how the world works...

She put the steel on target.

You demeaned her her age, because you could not confront her experience. Her experience belies her age, and her perspective substantiates the fact.

Would appear that she has a much better grasp on how the real "world works" than her detractor.
  • Options
    Go back to sleep Thanatos, youre as off base as ever. Questioning one's age is something which anyone even you im sure would do especially given your penchant for dismissing anyone who shows you up as clueless.

I seem to recall snide remarks eminating from your corner toward Whowhere about his two years of Criminal Justice studies as well.

But to clarify for those others who clearly think around here, despite her valid experiences in Israel, 16 yr olds have nevertheless some ways to go (which she herself has admitted) and some further life experience (not to mention education) in order to fit those valid experiences into a comprehensive world view from which to propose solutions to the experiences they have had.

Or perhaps youd advocate arming her now and turning her loose to solve the problems she has encountered according to your own simplistic doctrine of shoot first ask questions later? :lol:

Funny the double standards you live by. Your "reality" must be a sad and confusing place to live. Ill stick to the real world with all its faults thank you.
  • Options
    Originally posted by sopite

To save a few pages here, I expect that it will not betray confidences too severely to remind you that "the Danish Buttercookie" has spent enough time in Israel to have viewed first hand what most only are able to speculate about.

Is hardly surprising to many of us that her perspective on the world in many ways dovetails with others who have real world experience, rather than those who have merely hours/years of idealistic speculation.

To quote from the Book of James: "rejoice in your tribulations..."

I have never thought those tribulations ennobled a person, but they tend to knock the crap out of your head, and clear your vision toward reality, and those things which matter most to you. It delivers you to a place where the bullshit is revealed for what it is... simply bullshit.

Perhaps it is time for your own experience in getting the crap knocked out of you? It will not ennoble you, but it might edify you...

If I read your first paragraph correctly, then everyone who is in Israel shares your viewpoint. How amazing!

If I read your second paragraph correctly, then everyone who has real world experience agrees with you as well. :crazyeyes

If I read your third paragraph correctly, then people who have had tribulations experience reality, and no bullshit. I guess that means that they all think like you as well. :yeees:

And if I read your fourth paragraph correectly, this is a thinly veiled threat of violence.

So, seems to me that what you are saying is:

Round here, everybody agrees with what I say, or they get a kicking.

:eek2:
  • Options
    opapanox, don't try to apply rationale and reason to the delusions of grandeur Thantos lives in. Its been tried and abandoned as a waste of effort.
  • Options
    opapanox, don't try to apply rationale and reason to the delusions of grandeur Thantos lives in. Its been tried and abandoned as a waste of effort.

Oh, why does this Thantos call itself sopite, if it's really Thantos?

And does it always make threats, and argue so scantily?

I bet it's a boy, it's very aggressive!

:rolleyes:
  • Options

I seem to recall snide remarks eminating from your corner toward Whowhere about his two years of Criminal Justice studies as well..

Like many of the arrogant educated ignorant, you presume that your class time trumps real world experience. Got an educational moment for you - and it is not going to cost you a single cent - it don't. When you grow up - presuming you eventually do - you will realize that very concept....

Still challenged by the complexities of the English language?

I rather doubt that the Buttercookie read about it, or heard about it in a lecture. I gather she experienced it first hand, while in Israel.
    Classroom education does not trump first hand experience. So sorry that it is threatening to your own position, but such is life.
  • Options

Still challenged by the complexities of the English language?

I rather doubt that the Buttercookie read about it, or heard about it in a lecture. I gather she experienced it first hand, while in Israel.

Hey, what about if she read about it on a Bulletin Board? :lol:
  • Options
    Originally posted by opopanax

If I read your first paragraph correctly...
    If I read your second paragraph correctly...
    If I read your third paragraph correctly...
    And if I read your fourth paragraph correectly...

So much for your reading comprehension level: you got a 0% on that one.

Same tactic as you used on U-75? Twist something into a threat, get the poster banned, because you are unable to read? Unable to cogitate?

ROTFLMMFAO!

Wow... what a compliment. Got my own little pack of trolls following me around. The existence of one old man threatens them so horribly. Guess I must be doing something right...