Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Interesting information

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Greenhat

You should have paid attention, as the research has included Britain and Australia.

And Clandestine, I guess you don't consider the UN or the various law enforcement agencies of the countries in question as third party sources, eh?

Simple thing, really, and consistent. Violent crime has risen in each area that has placed stringent gun control measures in place. Violent crime has decreased in those areas that have made lawful gun ownership easier/more accessible. Since you won't believe me, try this simple test. Get the violent crime statistics for the country/area in question from their law enforcement agency over a number of years, then check the correlation between gun control laws and the crime rate changes. Isn't difficult. Is consistent.

It has always been illegal to carry a gun on the streets in the countries of Europe.
    The only change in gun law was the banning of handguns altogether, however it is still perfectly legal to own a rifle or shotgun. You just can't use them, and you never have been able to.
  • Options
    Greenhat, of course the UN or various law enforcement agencies would be considered valid third party sources. However, Apart from that vague reference, I still see no reference material being posted by you from these sources to back your claims.

Veiled references do not comprise "referenced" source material.

Care to actually post some? Or is that also conveniently classified as " national security" lol.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere

It has always been illegal to carry a gun on the streets in the countries of Europe.

Really? Want to bet?

As for Clandestine, you wouldn't accept any sources I provided, so do your own research instead of being a lazy git (yep, I've got some Brit friends, and pick up some interesting terms from them).
  • Options
    Originally posted by opopanax
    Would it be fair to say that there seems to be a lack of research based evidence to back up your argument?

:confused:

• Options
    When I make claims, Greenhat, I back them with proper supporting sources. You on the other hand just make snide remarks and offer little substance.

I think its become fairly clear to most people here that you talk out the side of your mouth and merely deride anyone who questions your credibility. Its no contest how youd fare in any official debate.

Post your sources, if they are credible (unlike the Daily Mail) then you have nothing to worry about, I and others no doubt would more than likely even concur with you. Yet, all you do is dodge and make lame excuses.

Sorry to say, from what you have (or i should say, HAVEN'T) shown by way of references, you have been weighed and found wanting!
  • Options
    15 myths

Medical issues

Trends

A Case Study

Arrests Note that the highest area for arrests is that with the strictest gun control and that convicted criminals are not allowed to own a firearm anywhere in the USA.

Data

Use of firearms

Internationally
    Lots of references...

Culture

Australia

Show your support

Violent crime

Myths

More Australia

A few more myths

Study

More

Policy analysis

An Australian Point of View

Weapons

Canadian View
  • Options
    15 myths

Myth One:
    In one study, researchers found no significant differences in total robbery rates between cities where guns were widely available and cities where they were not; in cities with fewer firearms, armed robbers simply used other weapons.5

:D
    The best available evidence, based on at least eight national surveys of the general adult population, indicates that guns are used about as often for defensive as for criminal purposes.6

:D
    A majority of gun crimes are assaults, but only one in 42 handgun crimes involves a victim being shot. While there is a lot of violent crime in America relative to other industrial nations, an overwhelming majority of the violence involves knives, hammers, sticks, broken bottles, hands and feet and other weapons besides firearms.

Now, which one scares you more - being attacked with a gun or a hand?

Guns are used in a majority of murders (from 59 percent to 66.3 percent in each of the past 10 years) and accounted for 14,265 deaths in 1991. According to the FBI's Uniform Crime Reports, 53.1 percent of reported murders in 1991 were committed with handguns, 5.2 percent with shotguns and 3.4 percent with rifles, while miscellaneous and unknown firearms accounted for the remaining 4.6 percent. (Long guns, although virtually uncontrolled, were involved in only 8.6 percent of homicides.) By contrast, firearms were used to commit about 70 to 75 percent of homicides in the 1920s, a higher percentage than the average 60 percent rate during the 1980s.11 Firearms were the instrument of death in 60 percent of murders in 1980 and 66 percent in 1991 " the highest percentage in recent years " suggesting an upward trend.

Hmmmmm
  • Options
    Read them all....
  • Options
    Fortunately, those who actually have the credentials and have done the research, disagree with you. Dennis Charney M.D. Ph.D and Nancy Anreasen Ph.D come to mind.

Now lets go over that statement once again.

So you are implying (nay, stating) that "Dennis Charney M.D. Ph.D and Nancy Anreasen Ph.D" have " done the research" into issues of gun control.

Is that correct? Silly question I know, but meant to be taken rhetorically.

So where on earth is this evidence Greenhat?

I personally think that you just opened up your mouth and let rip before you had a chance to think things through properly and that the evidence is just non-existant. A very poor example of professionalism if you were to ask me (I know you wont ask me so I thought I'd slip it in anyway) and God help your armed forces if this is a prime example of the U.S. army's warrior mentallity.

All in all, a very poor show purple team. Must try harder. X
  • Options
    15 myths

Myth No. 6: Criminals mainly have guns in order to commit crimes.

The number one reason criminals acquire handguns is not to commit crimes but, like noncriminals, to protect themselves.52 Criminals keenly feel the need for self-protection because they associate with other criminals and are likely to be victims as well as victimizers.

Ah, so they buy guns to protect themselves from other criminals who buy guns to defend themselves. :eek2:
    • In a survey of imprisoned felons, 58 percent said protection was a very important reason for getting a handgun and 26 percent said it was a somewhat important reason.

How sweet!

:)
  • Options
    15 myths

Myth No. 5: People who buy guns are more prone to violence and crime than are other people.
    • Overall, gun owners disapprove of violence to the same extent as or even more strongly than those who do not own guns.

Ah, so only the peaceful ones buy guns! You a pacifist then Greenhat?

In terms of crude statistical association, violence and crime are higher in locales and among populations with lower gun ownership (cities) and lower in places and populations with higher gun ownership (rural)

Yeah, in the cities only the nasty people have them!

In the rural areas mugging isn't so easy to do (maybe they go to the cities?)

:rolleyes:

Not very academic this paper is it?

Think I'll try another one now!
  • Options
    Medical issues

Now this is a conservative papers report on an article written by a doctor who has the email address: medical@free-market.net

Not exactly research based evidence, and the email addy suggests not particularly impartial. Strangely enough medical@free-market.net says that the many reports that show a correlation between guns and violence are written by researchers who are not impartial.

Blimey! :eek2:

I'll try the next one I think.
  • Options

Trends

Whoops a daisy! NRA report which only has the FBI as a source. Not exactly research based evidence here.

Maybe this one slipped in by accident?

:eek:
  • Options
    ROTFLMAO:D
  • Options

A Case Study

Ah, and back to Newsmax com. I'm sorry I called it a Conservative paper in a previous post, it is in fact a Conservative comic. It even claims :

BUSH: AMERICA'S BEST DIPLOMAT!

Oh, how I larfed! :D

Sorry Greenhat, evidence based research this is not! :(
  • Options
    It even claims :BUSH: AMERICA'S BEST DIPLOMAT!

ROFLMFAO

I'm sorry, there are many things you can say about either Bush, but that will never be one of them...
  • Options

Arrests Note that the highest area for arrests is that with the strictest gun control and that convicted criminals are not allowed to own a firearm anywhere in the USA.

[/URL]

Now this one is academic, but its statistical and badly presented. I decided to search for the report that it went into, which brought me to this site

And they had some dead interseting things to say:

Key Fact:

The presence of a gun in the home makes it nearly three times more likely that someone will be murdered by a family member or intimate partner

In a comparison of Vancouver (gun control) and Seattle (less control):

Key Facts:

Although the assault rate was only slightly higher in Seattle than Vancouver, the rate of assault involving firearms was seven times higher in Seattle.
    The risk of death from homicide was found to be significantly higher in Seattle than in Vancouver. This excess risk was explained by a nearly five-fold higher risk of being murdered with a handgun in Seattle as compared with Vancouver.
    Rates of homicide involving means other than guns were not substantially different in the two cities.

Key Facts:

During the years 1985 to 1994, the percentage of firearm-related homicides among all homicides in the total population increased from 60% to 72%.
    In the same period, firearms homicides increased from 67% to 87% among persons aged 15 years to 24 years old.
    These increases illustrate that changes in overall homicide rates primarily reflect changes in firearm-related homicides.

They link these to evidence based research.

:eek: :crazyeyes

Now, I have to say that the bits of the report I read, don't really help you much Greenhat. If you can find the report in a better format, I'd be delighted to read the whole thing!
  • Options

Data

[

Ah, more people are killed by guns than any other weapons.

How nice!
  • Options
    The number one reason criminals acquire handguns is not to commit crimes but, like noncriminals, to protect themselves.52 Criminals keenly feel the need for self-protection because they associate with other criminals and are likely to be victims as well as victimizers
    Well, based on this evidence, it seems to me that it would be unconstitutional to deny an ex-felon his right to bear arms, simply because he had spent time in prison. It's for self defence, man!! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by osmotic

Now lets go over that statement once again.

So you are implying (nay, stating) that "Dennis Charney M.D. Ph.D and Nancy Anreasen Ph.D" have " done the research" into issues of gun control.

No. Dennis and Nancy have both been involved in, or are involved in studies of the psychological makeup of people who carry guns. Pay attention to WhoWhere's idiotic statement.
  • Options

Whoops a daisy! NRA report which only has the FBI as a source. Not exactly research based evidence here.

Maybe this one slipped in by accident?

:eek:

Only the FBI? Where do you think all the data for US crime rates comes from?
  • Options
    Just got in from being out of town all afternoon and evening. Im too tired right now to go through all your links right now, Greenhat, but will hopefully tomorrow and add to the debate.

Nevertheless, I can largely concur (surprise surprise) with your most recent point insofar as the FBI is the principal source of collating all reports nationwide from law enforcement agencies, courts, etc. related to crime.

However, there are some other sources apart from the FBI itself which carry out surveys into crimes and its impact, including The Department of Justice itself and of course independent research institutes (which comprise the non-governmental sphere of statistical analysis - i.e. Universities and think tanks).

This is an interesting starting point for the non-initiated as to the government methodology of crime reporting in the US.

http://www.crime.org/tutorial.html
  • Options

Only the FBI? Where do you think all the data for US crime rates comes from?

Well in the UK data comes from a government research team and also from the British Crime survey. The BCS always shows a slightly higher incidence of crime than the government, as it uses interviews and not info from the police.
    However the 2 are very similar and data from either can be found on their websites and are incorporated.
    I'm surprised that a country like the USA only has one form of reliable data collection regarding crime.
  • Options
    Check out the link I provided above Whowhere. As I pointed out, there are several sources, despite the fact that principal source (as Greenhat mentioned) is the FBI.

Undoubtedly there are variations, given the fact that as they say "there are lies, damn lies, and statistics...".

It isnt too surprising given the need for a unified reporting methodology covering a continent-sized geographic area. Neverthless, you could probably find discrepencies amongst conclusions drawn from FBI composite indices and independent research carried out by institutes and universities.