Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Interesting information

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Jacqueline the Ripper

You've got such a scarey name. and yet you seem to be scared of this greenbat!

Maybe he's holding a gun to your head?

:confused:
  • Options
    Jacqueline, I suppose that all depends on what you consider to be "knowledge" and who's refusing it.

Ive seen our militant members refusing plenty of "knowledge" by slinging the age old rhetorical labelling of "liberal", "appeaser", and other such derivities at anyone who has the audacity to challenge their militant view of the world.

Apologies if i got a bit carried away with the term ignorant in regards to your comments, I've just come to expect a bit more savvy over the years from Europeans than is typically displayed by the current ruling class of US political hacks.

*awaits the arrival of mo, larry and curly to resume their flamethrowing* :lol:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper

Naivity...

I know you dislike it when I correct your English, but you corrected Clandestine incorrectly so I'm going to.

It's naivety. ;)
  • Options
    My comment was triggered, by his way of replying to Greenhat

If you've got a problem with me then tell me what that problem is. Must I meet with your approval before I post a response to another poster? If that is the case then perhaps you would wish to proof read my responses before I press the Submit Reply button. So, is this the case? I eagerly await your response. (I dont suppose there's any chance of reading your response before you post it up on the boards.)

Errrrmm......and what makes you think that I am a male?!

Weird shit or what :eek: :confused:
  • Options
    Vox, lol. Thanks for the heads up man, but i didnt think we were still focussing so intently on minor spelling offences to the exclusion of the points being made.

Yet, to correct myself and my correctors in one swoop, its actually Naivete (one e not two, sorry Ive been with my french colleagues all day so im still lingering in "la mode francaise" at the moment.

from the dictionary though for all our future reference:

na·ive·té or na·ïve·té Pronunciation Key (nv-t, nä-, n-v-t, nä-)
    n.
    The state or quality of being inexperienced or unsophisticated, especially in being artless, credulous, or uncritical.
    An artless, credulous, or uncritical statement or act.
  • Options
    I realise this is turning into pedant's corner, but the NOED gives it as naivety (or naïvety), without even the option of using the e acute. I think we'll just have to agree to disagree.
  • Options
    Fair enough. Nice to see someone else around here who is able to do that! ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by opopanax
    Jacqueline the Ripper

You've got such a scarey name. and yet you seem to be scared of this greenbat!

Maybe he's holding a gun to your head?

There's a difference, in to be scared or to respect and agree.
    Quite simple.

-Though I take it as a compliment that my name apparently has a scary effect.

(He's in Thailand, I am in Denmark. Never heard of such a gun which would allow him to threaten me with it, over such a long distance)
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Apologies if i got a bit carried away with the term ignorant in regards to your comments, I've just come to expect a bit more savvy over the years from Europeans than is typically displayed by the current ruling class of US political hacks.

First and foremost, I am an individual. After concidering that, you can stick your prejudice of nationality, gender, age etc. to me.

I have opinions which are made from personal experiences and calculations, not some factors which I in reality have no control over.
    Originally posted by osmotic

If you've got a problem with me then tell me what that problem is. Must I meet with your approval before I post a response to another poster? If that is the case then perhaps you would wish to proof read my responses before I press the Submit Reply button. So, is this the case? I eagerly await your response. (I dont suppose there's any chance of reading your response before you post it up on the boards.)

As said, it was just a mild suggestion.
    Just trying to help you enhancing your life span on this board. That's all.

Sorry if any offence was caused, m'dear.

And Vox, Thank you :yes:
    I would say that your correction was made rather tactful this time.
  • Options
    Interesting, so what enlightening and informative situations have you survived in your 16 years that would convince you on the correctness of the right wing militants' view of the world I wonder?
  • Options
    As said, it was just a mild suggestion. Just trying to help you enhancing your life span on this board. That's all.
    Sorry??

So what exactly was wrong with any of my posts and who exactly are you? Self proclaimed moderator perhaps? You really do confuse me at times Ripper.

As for your mix-up in gender identification.......well..... I won't pursue the matter as long as you don't sister. Just stop the automatic labeling system please :)
  • Options
    No onenatcons, tried the same route as him, didn't really succeed did he?
    Not in gaining respect or staying on the board.
    Keep your wig on, luv. I fear you may have been 'hanging out' with the Sheiks of Shellshock for too long...

osmotic is nothing like onenatcons.
  • Options
    Thanks Uncle Joe :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Interesting, so what enlightening and informative situations have you survived in your 16 years that would convince you on the correctness of the right wing militants' view of the world I wonder?

Way too many.
    Unfortunately.

When talking about this age, shouldn't be a factor.

2 year old babies can get raped (sick, i know), while 60 year old ladies, can never have had a sip of death, except from their age being their closest call (60 isn't even that old).

So what have I, a 16 year old girl, been through to make me what I am?
    Near shooting, stonethrowings, relatively near bombs.
    That's my own experience.
    Relatives have seen bombs go off in front of their eyes, had nails from bombs get blown into their bodies, some have permanent physical problems due to bombs.
    Could really come with a string of stories.
    + I have my sources, regarding some stuff.

So after having seen this, am I supposed to pretend that if I close my eyes, it will all disappear? Hell no.
    As said, seen enough to make my stand in life be different from that.

So is that enough?
    Is my opinion in-valid according to the "great clandestine", due to my age (or even the fact that I go against the usual opinion of the people, in the continent I belong to)? :rolleyes:
    So what exactly was wrong with any of my posts and who exactly are you? Self proclaimed moderator perhaps? You really do confuse me at times Ripper.

Gave my opinion.
    As far as I know this board is running due to opinions.
    So no, I am not a moderator, but giving a suggestion is something which we can all give, being a moderator or not.

Twist it around, and the only thing which moderators can do, is ban and change the settings of the board.
    Just stop the automatic labeling system please

I am used to when gender is unknown, to go by the masculine approach. You'll have to excuse the elements of foreign language, slipping in at times.
  • Options

There's a difference, in to be scared or to respect and agree.
    Quite simple.

-Though I take it as a compliment that my name apparently has a scary effect.

(He's in Thailand, I am in Denmark. Never heard of such a gun which would allow him to threaten me with it, over such a long distance)

Ah, so Osmotic must be in Thailand too, otherwise this Greencat couldn't be a threat to her either!

I think I understand. And you agree with this Greencat.

How nice!

But I do feel a bit worried for Osmotic.

:(
  • Options
    I am used to when gender is unknown, to go by the masculine approach. You'll have to excuse the elements of foreign language, slipping in at times.

• Options

Ah, so Osmotic must be in Thailand too, otherwise this Greencat couldn't be a threat to her either!

Didn't talk about anyone threatening her... Unlike you suggesting that I was the one being pointed at with the gun.

Merely said that she could get something slammed in the face which could be hard to remove.
    The "something" could be reply. And about it being removed was in metaphoric terms.

Though I get your point.

;)
  • Options

I'm sure you don't need to worry osmotic. This Greencat can't be that scarey, surely? He doesn't seem to be a moderator or anything.

Mind you, he seems to like guns.

Maybe you should get a gun, just in case!

:)
  • Options
    Merely said that she could get something slammed in the face which could be hard to remove.

Sniffs and looks around.

Quite a violent person aren't you.
  • Options

Didn't talk about anyone threatening her... Unlike you suggesting that I was the one being pointed at with the gun.

The "something" could be reply. And about it being removed was in metaphoric terms.

Though I get your point.

;)

Ah, Greenbat is good with words.

That's cleared that up then.

I was beginning to wonder what kind of board this was.

:blush:

Well, I'm sure osmotic knows what she's doing.

• Options

I'm sure you don't need to worry osmotic. This Greencat can't be that scarey, surely? He doesn't seem to be a moderator or anything.

Mind you, he seems to like guns.

Maybe you should get a gun, just in case!

Lol ;)

I reckon that the greenthing is most probably a complete coward :)

Hey big boy....fancy a roll in the hay :D
  • Options

Sniffs and looks around.

Quite a violent person aren't you.

Actually I wasn't referring to myself.
    And I am an angel, really :angel:

Oh, and commenting on your :confused:...

*really not a great linguist, but will try explaining anyways*

In some languages you don't have many neutrals but mostly masculine or feminine forms.

And in most of those languages, masculine rules over feminine. So instead of goin on an "it" or "he/she" when in doubt you use "he".
    Saying that for example, a baby isn't just a baby, but either a he-baby or she-baby. So I ask the mother, "when is your he-baby due" (you can't just say baby, as the ending of the word defines the gender, and you can't take away the ending), and unless I am corrected, the baby will be talked about in a masculine way.

Though dogs are always assumed to be feminine at first...
    Same goes for cats.
    Also for cows.
    And birds.
  • Options
    Well that's that all sorted then ;)
    Though dogs are always assumed to be feminine at first...

:D
  • Options
    That was just a crock of shit sister.

Care to expand?
  • Options
    I love Dynamics :D
  • Options

You dont have the statistics 'greenhat' <giggles> because they dont exist. There are none.

Tell you what. Let's make a bet. I'll bet you those statistics do exist. But you're going to give me your real name, phone number and house address so I can collect on the bet when you lose. I'll happily give you my name, address and phone number so you can make sure you collect if I lose (I won't).

Since you are so sure the statistics don't exist, let's make the bet 100 Pounds. I've got a friend in London who can pick it up (and who will also be happy to check out your particulars before I put up the information). If you aren't in the UK, I have friends in most parts of the world. I'm sure I can find someone to do the collection.

You might go and try looking through the professional journals before you jump to hasty conclusions. Unless you have a subscription, you won't be able to access the articles online.
  • Options
    Greenhat, maybe they are journals, but you've just shot yourse;f in the foot. You mention their work is with regard to the miliitary and to help them cope with special situations. What, if any relevance does that have to criminals and gun ownership?

And, scanning the articles would be helpful, there aren't a abundance of obscure works by American pyschologists in English libraries.
    And no, despite what you say, they aren't award winning scientists. You're just bullshitting because you don't think I can be bothered to search for them on the net. If these journals you keep singing praises about were so important surely they would mention them.... but no, they don't.
    They may be awar winning pyschiatrists, but here in the land of the normal we don't place much stock in a form of study that is proven wrong every 10 years.

And their study on US soldiers isn't going to help your argument on criminals, and the obvious fact that America is in a far worse state than the UK.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    Greenhat, maybe they are journals, but you've just shot yourse;f in the foot. You mention their work is with regard to the miliitary and to help them cope with special situations. What, if any relevance does that have to criminals and gun ownership?

Maybe you should read EXACTLY what you wrote, and exactly what I replied.

And they aren't award winning scientists? You better check again.
  • Options
    I wrote that they didn't seem to have any research into guns. I meant with reference to crime.
    Anyone could tell that. You read that and bring in the stuff about the army that has no relevance to this topic.
  • Options
    Thanks Uncle Joe :)
    Heeeeyyyy... how you doin'? :naughty:;)
  • Options

I reckon that the greenthing is most probably a complete coward :)

Perhaps you should investigate as to whether you might be able to accompany him on one of those infamous "nature hikes" in Thailand, and judge for yourself... presuming - of course - that you might somehow survive the experience.

Being in the second year of a criminology degree also makes me far more qualified than you anyway.

Think there might be any chance of securing a refund for the defective and useless product someone has purchased? If the following is any indication...
    ...I can bet that every user on this board with an ounce of sense can tell that you are just itching for an excuse to use one of your weapons.
    Prove me wrong.

...then someone's money has been a complete waste. Like many of the arrogant educated ignorant, you presume that your class time trumps real world experience. Got an educational moment for you - and it is not going to cost you a single cent - it don't. When you grow up - presuming you eventually do - you will realize that very concept.

As stated previously, I was in college on a scholarship when my draft notice was delivered. The thing which detered me from finishing my education, when I had returned to the world? Was the prospect of sitting in classrooms and demeaning myself by suffering the arrogance, ignorance, and stupidity of those such as you.
    Officers such as Greenhat are educated, have spent their years in classrooms. NCO's such as me? Got theirs as OJT, and on the run. Fail to learn? Men's lives which were entrusted to you were lost. And that? Is simply and completely unacceptable.
    While dealing with me as a butterbar, an O-2 or O-3 was likely a traumatizing experience (part of the job description of being an E-7 in a combat arms MOS ;) ), Greenhat IS an officer whom I would have followed anywhere, and I stress followed, because he would have led, not directed as a remf from a secured position.

While I have endured a few years of formal class time studying psychology, the bulk of my education came in the real world, dealing with diverse strata as a private audience with Jimmy Carter (and being on a first name basis with several US Senators), to the subterranean underworld. I can mix with and converse with either, and am accepted by either. I lost my naivete in East Oakland, and there are few more vile places in the "civilized" world.

Yes, I am willing to use a weapon, if the moment dictates. Been there, done that, wore out and threw away the T-shirt, and went back for more. I am FAR from eager to repeat the experience, but prepared to do whatever is demanded in any moment which seeks me out - and THAT is a concept which you SHOULD take to heart! It does not MATTER whether you seek out moments, because the moments will seek you. That is a reality which comes through the education which requires testicular qualities which it is doubtful you might possess.

How does combat experience relate to civilian life, as in this thread? I am a hunter, and I was very skilled at what I did. To hunt something, you must learn to think from its perspective, to anticipate it. I worked in debt resolution for a time, because I could find people who did not want to be found. Again, being a hunter. Again, learning to think like the prey.

Whowhere, at some point, you need to make the conscious decision to listen to those who have walked the path before you. Otherwise? You are going to be learning in the most difficult and hazardous of ways... you are going to step into each and every trap that the bitch goddess Fate will set before you, and that truculent whore has an endless, myriad of varieties...