Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Depression and Self-Harming - Please read

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thats really brave of you telling your parents.

I never have done, but im 22 and dont see that i have to if thats what i want.
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote:
    Thats really brave of you telling your parents.

I never have done, but im 22 and dont see that i have to if thats what i want.
    Yeah... I'm 22 too and until now I haven't wanted to and haven't seen the need to.

But I finish university soon and my self-harming and depression is so bad that I could not possibly get a job or do the thing that I really want to do (emmigrate).

They have given me several options (to be discussed next week) but they included things like going to a day hospital every day (monday to friday) for a year whilst living off benefits and being in temporary housing (like a B&B she said- would have to get in touch with the homeless person's unit to find out). I couldn't really hide that from my parents even if I wanted to.
  • Options
    It seems that everything's getting worse. I'm up and down like a rollercoaster all the time. The suicidal feelings have come back. They come and go. I've spent the day seeing things because of the psychosis. It's just horrible and it's driving me insane :( .
  • Options
    Emma_C wrote:
    when will people realise talking about your feelings doesn't help, it makes you go mad

Well it certainly won't work if you go in with that attitude.

It does work actually, but only if you are prepared to give it a go. Just as with anything else in life that's worth anything, it doesn't come cheap.

Talking about your feelings and- more importantly- how you react to those feelings is the only way to get better. Being better is a behaviour that needs to be learned, and you don't learn if you never go to the lesson.
    Randomgirl wrote:
    I'm a bit scared reading all your "telling the parents" posts...

I have been self-harming for just under seven years and have never told my parents.

I told my mum, but only when I had to.

She saw my arms once, but nothing more was said until I needed her help to get some therapy. As it turned out the NHS bumped me right to the top of the queue and I got straight in, but I was still glad she knew afterwards. It was like a weight had been lifted.
    piccolo wrote:
    I've been seeing a psychotherapist who tried to persuade me to lie on the couch but I wouldn't and she hasn't asked for ages but I always notice that it's set out flat whenever I go in now, and beforehand it always just looked like a 20seater sofa (does that make sense? I think I'm still a bit drunk from the meet).

Yeah, that makes sense.

I had to be coaxed into the couch too, but it made it so much easier once I was there.

It's easier to talk if you can't see the person. Or it was for me. It was a lot easier to be more open, because I could just talk to the room instead of a living person. If that makes any sense. My last session was so weird because she had me sat in the chair, not on the couch.

You should really seriously try the couch hon. It seems a little weird at first, maybe a little vulnerable, but its so much better than having to look the therapist in the eye. Easier to be more honest, I found.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I had to be coaxed into the couch too, but it made it so much easier once I was there. It's easier to talk if you can't see the person. Or it was for me. It was a lot easier to be more open, because I could just talk to the room instead of a living person. If that makes any sense. My last session was so weird because she had me sat in the chair, not on the couch.
    My therapist keeps saying I should lie on the couch, but I've refused. But that's an interesting way of thinking about it. I'll give it a try next week.
  • Options
    wow thats helpful of them randomgirl to suggest that for you.

i lost my job and didnt even bother sorting out benefits. finally got back into proper work after 10months but nobody even suggested anything. at one point i even told my therapist i had a plan and date set to commit suicide and was still left on my own for a week. obviously i failed, and managed to keep going.

As for the couch- wish we had one! Where do you all go?? my therapist sees me in a room in our local doctors surgery.
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    I usually get 'You cut, then we're over'. Or 'Don't fucking think about cutting, or you'll lose me', most of them are along those lines. Argh. Men.

I know he only says it because he cares for me, but it still pisses me off.

I think I've turned a corner now, I really geniualy dont think that I need to cut any more to cope, I just need to find a way to deal with the depression without ADs.
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote:
    wow thats helpful of them randomgirl to suggest that for you.
    I'm scared though.
  • Options
    What does the psychiatrist actually do to help ya like? I mean, is it the idea of getting help that makes you recover or does the psychiatrist actually do something, I mean, like what's the difference between a psychiatrist and say, your mummy?
  • Options
    I'd say that the difference between a psychiatrist and "your mummy" would be the qualifications and experience.
  • Options
    There's counciling and there's psychiatry - They both try to get you to talk through your problems and see how irrational they are, the later is geared about challenging and changing the way your brain works.
  • Options
    Fuck. I fucking cut, I fucking dismantled the blade and drew blood before I could stop myself.

Only a scratch, but I fucking did it.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Fuck. I fucking cut, I fucking dismantled the blade and drew blood before I could stop myself.

You've said yourself that you think that you can never truely give up self-harm, that you can just control it. I guess this proves it. You have done really well though to go that long without cutting. I don't have anything useful to write, I'm sorry. Usually if someone else writes this type of thing I leave it up to you to reply because you seem to know what to say! Do you know why you cut yourself this time?
  • Options
    I don't know. I've had a shit week in a shit job, I'm knackered, I was looking forward to going out tonight but the people I was going with dropped out at the last second. The bank helped themselves to the mortgage early, leaving us with a fiver till next week.

IT's only a scratch, but I couldn't fucking stop myself until after I'd made it bleed. After everything I've said on here, I can't even follow my own fucking advice.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I don't know. I've had a shit week in a shit job, I'm knackered, I was looking forward to going out tonight but the people I was going with dropped out at the last second. The bank helped themselves to the mortgage early, leaving us with a fiver till next week.

IT's only a scratch, but I couldn't fucking stop myself until after I'd made it bleed. After everything I've said on here, I can't even follow my own fucking advice.
    Well you know as well as I know how intense the feeling of wanting to do it can be even when you really don't want to be doing it. I also know that you know that the depth of the cut has little bearing on the depth of the emotions and problems etc that are underlying. Sorry I have no good advice or anything.

Take care :)
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    What does the psychiatrist actually do to help ya like? I mean, is it the idea of getting help that makes you recover or does the psychiatrist actually do something, I mean, like what's the difference between a psychiatrist and say, your mummy?
    Mummy cannot prescribe psychiatric medications. There are loads of things different. I don't know how to explain it though.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Kermit wrote:

And now you move on.

Unfortunately, there isn't anything you can do now. It is in the past.

*Everyone* has relapses. Simple as.

You have always given good advice on here. Always. And nothing you have just done has changed that. You have had an awful week and if I was in your position then I would probably have done similar. You are only human after all.

And you are not a failure. Remember that. Remember that above everything else.

Don't let this affect you too much. As harsh as that may sound. Try and relax a bit this weekend, spend time with your wife and try and put it behind you. xx
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

fuck shit one mate...well i've been reading your posts and you know how to get over it yourelf.
  • Options
    I haven't self-harmed for a while... not since I got rid of my ex who was the reason for my problems...

But I feel so lonely... and I'm finding it very hard to cope... Especially in my own room, at uni, with so much work to do...

x
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

And what are you? The messiah? Exactly how good do you think you are?! Everyone has had relapses, even you, you're only human, and you're relying on yourself to make the decisions. You who like everyone else on earth are flawed. Don't be so hard on yourself.
  • Options
    IWishIWas wrote:
    I haven't self-harmed for a while... not since I got rid of my ex who was the reason for my problems...

But I feel so lonely... and I'm finding it very hard to cope... Especially in my own room, at uni, with so much work to do...

x

Just think of how good your doing in not SH. Its an acomplishment. Feel free to bother me if your ever lonely. I hope your work can take your mind off things.
  • Options
    Thanks very much :)

The work does kinda help, but at times it really doesn't. Like when I'm so spun up in my emotions I find it hard to concentrate!

I guess there are just good days and bad days that we have to enjoy and get through.
    x
  • Options
    Against the Tide-you from Chester or at Uni here? just being nosey coz i live in chester too.
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    I can't open up to mummy. Can't tell her what I feel, how bad the urges get, she doesn't even know half of my problems, because I won't tell her.

Why not?

Family first...strangers last.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Why not?

When I read your post again I was wondering if you meant psychiatrists or if you meant psychologists/ psychotherapists.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    When I read your post again I was wondering if you meant psychiatrists or if you meant psychologists/ psychotherapists.

There's a difference?

I'm confuzzled. :confused:
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    There's a difference?

I'm confuzzled. :confused:
    Yes. A psychiatrist is a medically trained doctor who works in a hospital usually. They deal with all types of mental health problems.

A psychologist/ psychotherapist is not a doctor of medicine and they don't prescribe. They do the therapy stuff.

I'm sorry I have not explained it well. But they psychologists/ psychotherapists are far more like a mummy than a psychiatrist ever is.
  • Options
    Oh well that's what I meant in the first place.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Oh well that's what I meant in the first place.
    Thought so. But I don't think they are very mummy like anyway.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Why not?

Except people don't care what a stranger thinks. If someone told mummy, they'd HAVE to face her, every day.