Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Depression and Self-Harming - Please read

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Except people don't care what a stranger thinks. If someone told mummy, they'd HAVE to face her, every day.

Erm what's wrong with that?
  • Options
    Do you really think that if we were comfortable with our families knowing about the things that go on in our heads, we'd be having (or have had) therapy?
  • Options
    Why don't you want to tell your family though? I can see where you're coming from but it's hardly as though your parents will go mad at ya like. I'm not saying therapy isn't the best course but I think parents have a right to know aswell.
  • Options
    Not everyone comes from such a loving and supportive home as you must do Turlough.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Not everyone comes from such a loving and supportive home as you must do Turlough.

Ah fuck away off would you!
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Why don't you want to tell your family though? I can see where you're coming from but it's hardly as though your parents will go mad at ya like. I'm not saying therapy isn't the best course but I think parents have a right to know aswell.
    "A right to know" what exactly?
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    "A right to know" what exactly?

That their child is self-harming. That they're depressed.

And fiends deliberate "oh not everyone comes from a loving family like yours" misses the point by a million miles!
  • Options
    turlough wrote:

And fiends deliberate "oh not everyone comes from a loving family like yours" misses the point by a million miles!
    What if your parents are part of the problem?

What if you think they wouldn't be able to take it.

When I started self-harming it was on the night that we learnt that my mother has breast cancer. I couldn't possibly have added that on to her already awful day.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    What if your parents are part of the problem?

What if you think they wouldn't be able to take it.

When I started self-harming it was on the night that we learnt that my mother has breast cancer. I couldn't possibly have added that on to her already awful day.

Ok go to someone else in your family you can trust. Personally, I wouldn't hide something like that from my family. In fact, I reckon it would make me more depressed...like having this hidden secret, feeling guilty about it.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Ok go to someone else in your family you can trust. Personally, I wouldn't hide something like that from my family. In fact, I reckon it would make me more depressed...like having this hidden secret, feeling guilty about it.
    I don't come from a close trusting family though. I didn't have anyone I could turn to. If I did then I would no doubt have gone to them in the first place instead of self harmed. I'm not being annoying/ pedantic on purpose but I am just telling it like it was for me.

A few years later I had been getting family close to another family member (my step-brother) and was nearly at the point that I could trust him enough to tell him as he was like a brother to me. But then he decided he liked me as more than a sister and stuff happened and now I don't even trust him.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:

They don't though.

Is it deliberate?

It doesn't miss the point at all.

You don't tell family things like this. You often don't tell friends like this. You can't. You just can't.

You're right, it isn't good to hide it. But you cut because you want to hide it, you hide your cuts and pretend everything is fine. To admit otherwise is failure. Being weak, not being good enough.

Therapy is great because you can tell them about anything. A good therapist isn't a stranger. I went to my therapist for three years, that's not being a stranger. I've known her longer than some of my friends.

You can never be totally open about everything to someone you know, or who knows the things you talk about. You just can't. I could talk openly to my therapist, knowing it wouldn't go any further.
  • Options
    I bow to you Mr Frog.
  • Options
    So you go to a therapist cos he won't judge you?

And yeh I think she did say it deliberately just to piss me off!
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    So you go to a therapist cos he won't judge you?

Basically, though it's not quite as simple as that.

You can't talk to mummy about things which are mummy's fault.
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    Yeah, that's good you know he cares, the way mine says it, often feels like he doesn't give a shite about me, and wants to see me get more urges. it's been 9 days today since my last bad episode of cutting. Determined more than ever to stop, have thrown away the 3 razor blades I did have.
    It's good that you feel you don't need to cut to cope anymore, that's how I want to feel, and not be dependant on it, especially when I'm stressed out.

I still get the urge to do it, esp when i'm drunk or stressed out. Just had a complete fucker of a secret dumped on me by the sort-of boyf. Which I have taken to so well, so trying to not use the old coping mechanisms.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Having a bit of a crap time at the moment. Trying to keep busy but it just isn't working. I don't feel like I am coping anymore and feel on edge the whole time. I have no motivation to do anything I need to do and all I want to do is sleep. I am crying over the stupidest things too. Nearly had a panic attack as I lost something this morning.

It's a long time since I felt this low. I don't like it :(
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    They don't though.

Is it deliberate?

It doesn't miss the point at all.

You don't tell family things like this. You often don't tell friends like this. You can't. You just can't.

You're right, it isn't good to hide it. But you cut because you want to hide it, you hide your cuts and pretend everything is fine. To admit otherwise is failure. Being weak, not being good enough.

Therapy is great because you can tell them about anything. A good therapist isn't a stranger. I went to my therapist for three years, that's not being a stranger. I've known her longer than some of my friends.

You can never be totally open about everything to someone you know, or who knows the things you talk about. You just can't. I could talk openly to my therapist, knowing it wouldn't go any further.

I agree. I feel as though my family perhaps should know. Maybe it would be better that way. But I don't want them to know. I don't think they should have to deal with that. That's my choice, and I think it should be respected.
  • Options
    I feel sad :( I don't even know why. I can't get out of bed in the morings and when I do I just end up back in bed a few hours later. I can't face life. I'm scared about Thursday as I don't know what's going to happen.
  • Options
    Arg I'm going nutty. Yesterday was bad. I go to work today and spend the first 2 hours in the handicapped bathroom bawling my eyes out. No reason. Just down. Not to mention the woman in the office next to mine is a complete ass who treats me like shit, really makes me enjoy work.
  • Options
    whats happening thursday?

Does anyone else find that when they go to see their therapist/gp whoever, whatever you thought was bothering you seems to stupid to mention??
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote:
    whats happening thursday?
    On Thursday I have a review meeting with the Pyschiatrist and they have asked me to bring my father along (which is the scary aspect). My parents don't know I self-harm and I haven't mentioned that aspect of it. They are going to be talking about my future treatment options which are generally rather extreme and frighten me slightly.
  • Options
    I hate emotions.

I don't want to feel anything. I want to be completely numb.
  • Options
    Sweetheart, he's not helping you, it's emotional blackmail if he's being anything less than deadly serious, and you're in no position to help him anyway. Unless you can totally put yourself aside, and in so doing solve everything that's causing you to self-harm, then you can't help him. Anything less that total will be denying your problems, and that's not helpful cos it'll just bubble over again.
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    True. Never thought of him emotional blackmailing me. Trouble is, I don't know how serious he is. He talked about it last night, and we met up, talked, and he didn't mention it anymore that night, but now he keeps on saying, for me to fuck off, and let him die in peace. It hurts me so much.

Of course he'l keep saying it when you're not there, you give him attention.

It is emotional blackmail. No relationship can survive on emotional blackmail.

There are reasons why your relationship ended. Concentrate on those.

At the end of the day, the person who is most important is you.
  • Options
    It feels like everything is sorted. I can just let go and drift off.

Everyone who'd be affected has someone else to turn to for support, so they'd be ok.
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    I give him attention, cos I'm shit scared he'll go through with it. I understand how I am the most important, but I don't personally feel that way, I feel worthless. Especially after cutting. Just can't believe that he's doing this, after he says he loves me.
    Ultimately if he does, it is NOT your fault, there is no way you can be held responsible. And it doesn't sound like he's really all that serious, you need to get rid of him.
  • Options
    Fine line between love and hate. But he is doing it to spite you, so you need to walk away.
  • Options
    Things are getting real difficult. I dont know how much longer I can deal with it before I crack. I am shocked I am at work. I'll probably leave. I'm freaking out just being here, I dont know why. I'm shakey, I'm teary. My heart is racing and I keep getting hot, then cold. Its like I'm in anoter world, I'm not myself. All I want to do is go home and cry, just get into bed and dissapear. I may. I weant to. But along with that is telling somebody I'm leaving. I can't bring myself to do that. I can't get outo f my chair. I feel trapped here. I dont want to speak to anybody. I wish I could dissapear here. I wish I could get away from it all.
  • Options
    Raz wrote:
    It feels like everything is sorted. I can just let go and drift off.

Everyone who'd be affected has someone else to turn to for support, so they'd be ok.
    Not sure what to say to that. It sounds like a suicide warning to me (I'm sorry if I misinterpreted it). *hugs* yeah. Sorry I'm crap at giving advice and support. But *hugs*.
  • Options
    Ah shite, I didn't mean to worry anyone. It was just a horrible dark thought that was floating around in my head.

There's too much guilt for me to do anything drastic to myself.