Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Depression and Self-Harming - Please read

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Lolzabeth wrote:
    Yea, well, maybe it's different for other people but that was my experiences.

This implies that you were an alcoholic. The last thing an alcoholic does is accept they have a problem, trust me!
    turlough wrote:
    This implies that you were an alcoholic. The last thing an alcoholic does is accept they have a problem, trust me!

Give me a break. It's 20 to 5 in the morning, I've drank too much coffee and I'm reading about bloody screwworms as I have an entomology exam in 5 hours.
    Whatever it implies, I don't really care.

I know what an alcoholic is and I know I never was one but I also know that I was drunk/stoned for 18 months solid and, imo, that would be classed as a problem.

I'm not trying to argue with you. TBH, I've got more important things to think about. I just don't like people implying I don't know what I'm talking about or judging me on a couple of posts made on an internet message board.
    I'm sorry if you got the wrong impression of me. I hope you can fogive me :p
    Lolzabeth wrote:
    Give me a break. It's 20 to 5 in the morning, I've drank too much coffee and I'm reading about bloody screwworms as I have an entomology exam in 5 hours.

I know what an alcoholic is and I know I never was one but I also know that I was drunk/stoned for 18 months solid and, imo, that would be classed as a problem.

I'm not trying to argue with you. TBH, I've got more important things to think about. I just don't like people implying I don't know what I'm talking about or judging me on a couple of posts made on an internet message board.

:heart: i understand you. as text on a screen halfway around th world. i hope i think i can understand.
    Lolzabeth wrote:

:D

Sorry for wrecking your head...I'm not really that bad! :thumb:
    your-babe wrote:
    Have my 1st session with Additional Support @ College tomorrow. Kinda dreading it. Don't know where to start. What to expect. Etc. Guess I'll only find out one way.

Thinking about telling my parents, but I honestly don't know, I'm not comfortable with it at all, so I really don't know. Thought that they have realised something was wrong- I'm stressed, I isolate myself, don't see friends, an generally a miserable bitch.

Had an arguement last night with a mate, was told that if I keep pushing her and everyone else away, then I'm going to have noone left, and how it hurts her to see me push her away further. She also said how she's noticed I've been down and feeling depressed a lot more since Xmas then I have since the Summer. The stupid thing is, I don't know why, and that really annoys me.

To be honest sometimes you just DONT know why your depressed you just are. I still only realise how low I'm feeling after a week or two.

Just talk to them and see if they can help you, thats what thy are there for, and it should be 100% confidential.
    I managed not to do anything. I couldn't get a knife out of kitchen as my house mates were there.
    Worried what is going to happen when they aren't.
    Really don't know what I'm doing in life or where I'm going. Constantly feel overwhelmed and lost.
    I'm a complete failure/freak.

I got hold of something sharp and went into a complete frenzy and didn't stop until I felt dizzy standing up and collapsed into my bed. There's blood all over my sheets.

Sigh.
    your-babe wrote:
    Boyf's just brang up how I'm pushin him away too. Why do I continue to do it? I'm fucking useless. Don't want to be here anymore. :confused: :crying:

Your not useless, your really not. From my experience when you are feeling depressed you will push people away as you dont want to let them know how badly you are feeling or to stop them getting close to you so you cant emotionally hurt them/let them down. Depression can be a very loney place.
    I hope the councilling goes okay tomorrow.
    I didn't go to counselling today. I should have done, I suppose. But I just...didn't want to. I've now got to find some kind of excuse. Blah. I don't know if it's helping, because every time I go I just get more angry and upset because I'm thinking about things. And I don't know what to say, and there's things I just don't want to tell her because I don't fucking know her. I don't trust her, and because she's my counsellor, we won't have random conversation about each other, it'll all be about me, and I can't trust her if all I ever talk about is me. That sounds fucking stupid, cause she's a counsellor...but meh. I dunno. I keep "forgetting" to make a doctor's appointment to talk about private therapy, too, because...I dunno. Same reason, I guess.

I keep getting the "I want to do bad" feeling for no reason, though. I stopped taking my Citalopram a couple of weeks ago cause it wasn't helping, but I dunno what else I can try. I've done the pills, I've done the talking, and neither of them are helping.

Maybe I'm destined to be fucked up forever.
    Aww Franki, you're not destined to be a fuck up. You may feel like one at the moment, but things will get better :).

I didn't go to my psychologist today. I was asleep! Woke up quite long after my appointment, and didn't even call them to let them know what happened. Now, that is fucked up :). I'm at the doctors again on Monday, so I'll explain to him then - and see if I can get another appointment.

Just because one particular type of AD didn't help you, it doesn't mean none of them will help you. I went through several types before I found one that seemed to help, and even then, I had to go up in dosage a few months later. It is a very long and generally nasty experience, but when you find something that does help, and doesn't give you every side-effect under the sun, it'll be worth it.

No tablet can make everything feel better - but they can make each day just that little more bearable. :)

You know where I am if you need anything :).
  • Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    I've gone the past 48 hours with only 2 drinks...(with vodka that is). feel like shit tbh, I'm not sleeping propperly.

I feel that if I go to bed, I have to wake up again... And feel that I've wasted yet another day..
    Just because one particular type of AD didn't help you, it doesn't mean none of them will help you.
    I've been on two and both of them started ok and then stopped working. I might try again...maybe.

I don't want to go back to counselling. At all. And people keep telling me I should. Sigh. I just...DON'T WANT TO ;(.
    hey, this sounds stupid but i didn't know where else to go :(

i haven't got a knife sharp enough to cut :(
    I slipped up, really really badly, now have a nice set of cuts on my wrist. :crying:
    I'm not a strong as seem to kid myself that I am.
    made it to twoish weeks i think. might be three. i don't know. it's also alot worse than usual though. i hate the fact i feel so bad about doing it after, i never used to.
    Hi all. I've been a bit of a stranger here, so sorry if I'm distracting from the current train of thought. I just wanted to say that after 5 years I finally went 12 weeks. I think I'm out of the woods, it's been long enough and a really tough 3 months, too, but I managed it. I hope this is a bit encouraging to some people; I really really struggled with it but I'm getting there and I believe I'm going to be ok. I hope you guys can, too.

Love,
    Kate
    xxx
    piccolo wrote:
    Hi all. I've been a bit of a stranger here, so sorry if I'm distracting from the current train of thought. I just wanted to say that after 5 years I finally went 12 weeks. I think I'm out of the woods, it's been long enough and a really tough 3 months, too, but I managed it. I hope this is a bit encouraging to some people; I really really struggled with it but I'm getting there and I believe I'm going to be ok. I hope you guys can, too.

Love,
    Kate
    xxx
    Well done honey, I'm proud of you :).
    12 weeks is cracking! I've never done S/H so I know nothing, but from what I've heard from folk on here it's a blinding achievement! Well done :).
    piccolo wrote:

Love,
    Kate
    xxx

Welldone! :yippe:
    If you believe you can do it then you can.
    *sends love and luck*
    Guys, the deal is this.
    Facing up to your problems is the best thing you can ever do. After persuasion from this site, I faced up to mine and sorted out a horrible relationship.
    I'm still a bit hurt from the way things turned out, but that's what happens after a relationship.
    The best thing is that I haven't even considered hurting myself in anyway since I did it.

Do what you gotta do! It works!
    xox
    It should have been three months clear tomorrow, but its not because I fucked up. Even more determined not to again now, but I'm running out now of diverson tactics that actually work. I even had it suggested to me that i should take up shooting to get the agression out of my system.
    Franki wrote:
    I don't want to go back to counselling. At all. And people keep telling me I should. Sigh. I just...DON'T WANT TO ;(.
    If you dont trust/like your counsellor then whats the point seriously.
    I wish you could have my counsellor - shes brilliant. Ive only had her for 4 sessions but shes helped me work through so much stuff already. Can you register with a doctor in colchester Franki cos I seriously recommend mine.
    piccolo wrote:

Love,
    Kate
    xxx

Thats really cool, keep it up :)
    If you dont trust/like your counsellor then whats the point seriously.
    I wish you could have my counsellor - shes brilliant. Ive only had her for 4 sessions but shes helped me work through so much stuff already. Can you register with a doctor in colchester Franki cos I seriously recommend mine.
    Don't think I can, tbh. I dunno if I can ever trust a counsellor though tbh. If I don't know someone, I can't trust them.
    They key is to come to know them.

Nobody is saying its easy, or that everything floods out at once. It took me a long long time to start saying things completely openly with my therapist, and I saw her on a very intensive basis.

The only way it won't work is if you give up. It's easy to think it's not working. It's easy to think you can't do it. It's hard to work through these fears. It's hard to realise that yes, it is working. It's hard to realise that yes, you can do it.

I honestly believe a lot of people remain depressed because they're too scared to be not depressed. They're terrified of being successful, of being good, and they'd rather stay sad simply because they know it. Their psyche will sabotage any efforts to change matters because their psyche doesn't know what else to do. It's the same with SH- they continue to SH because they're too scared of not doing it.

I don't pretend to feel anyone else's pain, but that is what I believe happens. It takes a lot of guts to face up to the little voice saying you can't do it. It takes guts even when you are doing it. That's one of the hardest lessons I learned in therapy. It made me really sad when my therapist told me that I was doing well and doing it properly, even when I felt I wasn't being good at anything.

Piccolo, that's great. It's what happens. You go 12 hours, then 12 days, 12 weeks and before you know where you are its 12 months. 12 years.
    Franki wrote:
    Don't think I can, tbh. I dunno if I can ever trust a counsellor though tbh. If I don't know someone, I can't trust them.

Ah... but this is the trick, you see. The counsellor is a complete stranger - you don't know them, they don't know you. They won't judge you, they won't tell anyone else what you say - why would they?

There are worse things in life than giving some trust to a complete stranger :).
    But I can only just trust my friends...who I know...and have been through shit with.

I...I dunno. I've already told her I'm not going anymore. I just get angry, and would rather be upstairs having fun with my friends tbh.
    Whatever it is that is bugging you, whatever it is that makes you angry - it'll stay there forever. Talking to this stranger may help release some, or all, of the anger - it might be worth getting upset, emotional, and angry a few times to help empty your life of these emotions.

Sometimes talking to a stranger really does help. I do it... I can't say that it has turned my life around, or made everything suddenly feel better. But it has helped to put circumstances - and people - in my life into their rightful place.

Sometimes just talking about things to someone outside of the family and friends circle just means you can say absolutely anything you want, about anyone you want. No repercussions, no ill-feeling.

:)
    Decreasing my AD's to start another one, been a couple days over 2 weeks. Havn't been this tired ever. Sleep 17 hours few days a week. Will this continue forever? Will I get used to it?