Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Depression and Self-Harming - Please read

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think at least some of the time you are genuinely happy hon.
    I am. I know I am. There are times when I can sit there and think "this is making me happy". But that's not a constant.

I know what makes me happy, it's just not sitting here thinking I shouldn't be living in this house. The things that make me happy are few and far between. Mostly it's being with people that I can have fun with. Which is why I'm always so happy at meets and stuff. Ho hum.

*Silence_Is_Golden* - your family sounds spookily like mine.
  • Options
    Does depression run through your family too Franki?

Its shit isn't it?
    It does, and it is.

My dad had it, my dad's dad had it, my older sister had it, my cousins had it, and I *think* my mum had it.

Le sigh.
  • Options
    I'm not beating myself up or feeling guilty about feeling shitty anymore.

Hurrah for me.
  • Options
    Infinite wrote:
    I'm not beating myself up or feeling guilty about feeling shitty anymore.

Hurrah for me.
    Hurray :D.

And you aren't on MSN talking to me because....?
  • Options
    Franki wrote:
    No, you're right, I don't. But that doesn't mean I can't feel like shite from time to time.

You sound like my mother.

Different people react in different ways to different things. You have no idea how guilty I feel sometimes when fucking terrible things are happening to people, I've got a pretty ok life, they're still positive, and I'm sat in my bedroom in tears wanting to carve stuff into myself. It's not a nice feeling.

I know I seem "generally happy" in AG, but that's because it's the Internet, it's easy to fake it. I can fake it in real life most of the time, too. I don't want people to know when I'm feeling shitty, unless I tell them. I post in here so I can vent, which, I believe, is partly what the thread is for. If I went round other boards going "omg I'm so depressed, I want to die" people would start calling me attention-seeking and not taking me seriously.

In short, yes turlough, you're being a dick.

ETA: Goddess? Hardly.

Srry huni...I was being harsh but it's true enough. A lot of stuff in this thread is less depressing stuff and more "I feel sad today" if you catch my drift. :heart: :thumb:
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Yeah, you're being a dick Turlough.

:heart:

You rev my engine :flirt: :thumb:
  • Options
    Franki wrote:
    Hurray :D.

And you aren't on MSN talking to me because....?

Cos I'm DIYing. Building a table in fact. Or I should be........
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Srry huni...I was being harsh but it's true enough. A lot of stuff in this thread is less depressing stuff and more "I feel sad today" if you catch my drift. :heart: :thumb:
    I know it is. Have you ever considered, though, that some people may be feeling a lot worse than "sad", but don't want to worry people too much? If I posted on here every time I felt like I wanted to jump off a bridge, saying that I wanted to do that, there would be a lot more people worried about me than there are. I just put "I feel like shit" instead, so as not to worry people too much.
  • Options
    Infinite wrote:
    Cos I'm DIYing. Building a table in fact. Or I should be........
    Not an excuse :p.
  • Options
    Franki wrote:
    I know it is. Have you ever considered, though, that some people may be feeling a lot worse than "sad", but don't want to worry people too much? If I posted on here every time I felt like I wanted to jump off a bridge, saying that I wanted to do that, there would be a lot more people worried about me than there are. I just put "I feel like shit" instead, so as not to worry people too much.

Ok, I just get the impression that a lot of stuff on this thread is for ass licking purposes. I don't know the persona of a depressed person, but it seems like that to me, I'm still learning...educate me O Great Godess, or God, have you a cock? ;)
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Ok, I just get the impression that a lot of stuff on this thread is for ass licking purposes.

get out.

a very small number of the posters in this thread are posting for arse licking. the rest of us are genuine.

half the problem with depression is that you don't believe you are ill, that you think you are indeed an arse licker and just want people to feel sorry for you. people like you suggesting that we do are actually doing a hell of a lot of damage.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Yeah, you're being a dick Turlough.

surely he's not though, he only wants to understand why she feels the way she does.
  • Options
    surely he's not though, he only wants to understand why she feels the way she does.
    Except he admitted he was putting it a bit harshly - which he was.

Turlough - as Janey said, there aren't many people on here that post for arse-licking purposes. Most of us just want somewhere to vent and get a bit of help.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Ok, I just get the impression that a lot of stuff on this thread is for ass licking purposes. I don't know the persona of a depressed person, but it seems like that to me, I'm still learning...educate me O Great Godess, or God, have you a cock? ;)

I was like that... i'm not 'depressed' as such but i felt it for a little while once..managed to drag myself back out of it quickly luckily ;p

It's not just sadness, though it looks like that ... You have to feel it i guess, its like an emptiness where you can't feel content (was for me at least)... Even if it seems like theres no apparent reason for you to feel like that, it's hard for ppl to understand if they haven't felt the same way...

Anyway it sucks that anyone should ever feel like that, and i feel for anyone that has to go through feeling like that often :)
  • Options
    omg hi wrote:
    get out.

Oh you're mean! :flirt:
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Oh you're mean! :flirt:

i'm not really ;)
  • Options
    Its only been three days I've gone from Paxil 37.5mg CR to 20mg not CR. I cannot get enough sleep now. Is this just a coincidence or possibly related? In 2 weeks I'll be going down to 10mg, I feel sorry for my boyfriend :\
  • Options
    Hi, I know I'm new but I have a problem. It's been a long time but I used to self harm. I managed to get over it when I found some strength. However everything recently has just gone wrong and I found myself just now sitting about to slice into myself. I just need to write this somewhere to try and get it out of my head and get a grip. I don't want to become dependant on it again.
  • Options
    Kroy wrote:
    Hi, I know I'm new but I have a problem. It's been a long time but I used to self harm. I managed to get over it when I found some strength. However everything recently has just gone wrong and I found myself just now sitting about to slice into myself. I just need to write this somewhere to try and get it out of my head and get a grip. I don't want to become dependant on it again.
    Hello Kroy,

It's really good that you have managed to come so far without self harming. I guess it's only natural that at times you will think about it and be tempted when things go wrong in life.

Hope things work out okay for you :)
  • Options
    thats just it though. If I hadn't been interupted by a house mate knocking on my door I would have. It's going to happen and I don't want it to because it will become my only relase.
  • Options
    Kroy wrote:
    thats just it though. If I hadn't been interupted by a house mate knocking on my door I would have. It's going to happen and I don't want it to because it will become my only relase.
    You could try to get rid of all "weapons" or potential weapons from your room if you are worried that you will use them. For example if you are friends with your house mate you could ask them to look after you razor until you need it for a shave. Or you could look into other distraction techniques. Or you could look into harm minimisation, if you know that you are going to self harm no matter what.

Edited to add: this page might help you
  • Options
    I'm not doing so good. I usually only feel like this after I've drank a 1/5. I've not drank at all. I feel like cutting. I feel like shit. Like crying. I feel horrible. I don't know why. Today has been grand like every other day, but I feel like shit.

Tell me why. Why do I feel so sad, so bad, so depressive and suicideal. When nothing has gone wrong? If I were attention seeking, surely I would have texted my friend or called my father... went crying to my boyfriend. If I had a reason to feel this way, maybe I'd feel better. Tell me, people who believe its up to the people themselves to change, why do I hurt when everything is so good? I've not drank, I exercised today, I had sex, all pick me ups. Yet I'd give my life, not to be happy, but at the least, to just not feel.
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    I bought another litre of vodka, yay for me.. I'm just sick of shit turning out bad for me =\
  • Options
    Dr Pirate wrote:
    I bought another litre of vodka, yay for me.. I'm just sick of shit turning out bad for me =\
    Pirate, you know this isn't the way to go about things. This isn't easy for me to say, but if you're not careful, you'll soon have an alcohol problem. I don't know what exactly is making things so difficult for you, but please talk to someone you know well about this.
  • Options
    Dr Pirate wrote:

Stay drunk and you'll forget your problems but then you'll wake up one morning with another hangover, after another night of drowning yourself with alcohol and think "what the hell am I doing?"
    You'll realise that it hasn't helped in the slightest and you've just caused yourself another problem that you need to overcome.
    You'll wonder why your liver hurts, why you're clothes haven't been washed in weeks, why you're friends are all either avoiding you or watching you like hawks, why you have no money, are failing school/college/uni, have no job.
    Then you'll realise it's because you have been drinking yourself into oblivion every night to try and forget.

I'm not pretending I know you because I don't. I do know, however, what it's like to depend on drink to get through the day and "solve" problems. You can take my advice and stop before you develop a major problem or you can ignore this post completely. It's up to you. I'm not having a go or trying to be a know-it-all or whatever. I'm just warning you because I found it out the hard way.
  • Options
    Dr Pirate wrote:

:no:

Trust me, alcohol isn't the answer, my dad's an alco and he's really messed up...alcohol is a short term cure and a long term problem!
  • Options
    Lolzabeth wrote:
    Stay drunk and you'll forget your problems but then you'll wake up one morning with another hangover, after another night of drowning yourself with alcohol and think "what the hell am I doing?"
    You'll realise that it hasn't helped in the slightest and you've just caused yourself another problem that you need to overcome.
    You'll wonder why your liver hurts, why you're clothes haven't been washed in weeks, why you're friends are all either avoiding you or watching you like hawks, why you have no money, are failing school/college/uni, have no job.
    Then you'll realise it's because you have been drinking yourself into oblivion every night to try and forget.

Erm...alcoholism is nothing like that!
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Erm...alcoholism is nothing like that!

Yea, well, maybe it's different for other people but that was my experiences.
    I'm only trying to help, sorry for not conforming to the standard of what alcoholism is like.
  • Options
    Lolzabeth wrote:
    Yea, well, maybe it's different for other people but that was my experiences.
    I'm only trying to help, sorry for not conforming to the standard of what alcoholism is like.

Well you've obviously never been an alcoholic then!
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Well you've obviously never been an alcoholic then!

I never once used the word alcoholic.
    My words were I depended on it to get through the day and "solve" problems, which I did and it caused a hell of a lot more trouble than it solved.
    As I said, I was only trying to help but if I'm just going to get shit for it then I wont bother in future.
    Thanks.