Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Running thread.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I wasn't able to run for 2 weeks, due to an insanely busy life... I just ran a fucking awful 9K... I just don't have the energy and embarrassingly, I had to walk half of it...

I can run up to 12K and have a half marathon in September, now I'm worried because I feel like I've taken a big knock to my training...

Please somebody, tell me I'll recover from this break, or that it is exhaustion or something screwing up my training. :(
  • Options
    Me too Namaste so I think it's a temp blip. I hope!

Just keep trying. I think the heat is also part of the problem.
  • Options
    After my operation 4 weeks ago I attempted to go for a slow run this morning, I felt like dying half way through it :(
  • Options
    youll be fine. Maybe start back with a shorter run or two but build it back up quicker than you would normally. I had to go back to the beginning when i hurt my hip a while ago, but my fitness increased back to normal quicker than it would to build from scratch. Dont lose heart.

Also your cycle can affect your running, and also its been hot too.
  • Options
    I was SO going to ask you whether you loose your coordination and endurance when lady flow is a knocking and visiting but thought you might think that a bit weird. Ho hum- periods are bad for running, but running is good for bad periods- something like that anyway.
  • Options
    Yeah, exercise is meant to help with lady issues.
  • Options
    Finally have some half decent shoes. My last pair were ok - but not really that good. Will go for a run tomorrow I think.
  • Options
    am possibly pulling out of the brighton marathon, but may be looking for another event instead
  • Options
    How come?
  • Options
    am possibly pulling out of the brighton marathon, but may be looking for another event instead

Noooo Suzy! Don't do it!
  • Options
    butttttttttttttt i may be going on honeymoon on that day :razz:
  • Options
    and nothing on fb pls xx
  • Options
    butttttttttttttt i may be going on honeymoon on that day :razz:

Oh, well. That's different :D:D:D:D
  • Options
    OMGZ, best reason to pull out of anything EVER!
  • Options
    What type of t-shirt is best to wear for running? I currently have a few like http://www.sportsdirect.com/adidas-response-short-sleeve-tshirt-ladies-456055 which is made from polyester. Or are cotton t-shirts better?
  • Options
    i get too hot in a tshirt. I always wear a vest. Sometimes technical sport fabric, but often just a cotton one.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    OMGZ, best reason to pull out of anything EVER!
    Yup!
  • Options
    i get too hot in a tshirt. I always wear a vest. Sometimes technical sport fabric, but often just a cotton one.

:yes:

I've found that I'm much more comfortable in my basic vests from Dotty P's than in "proper" exercise shirts.
  • Options
    Anyone got a link for recommended stretches? I've lost so much flexibility through running, and now my claves are so tight, so so tight.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    What type of t-shirt is best to wear for running? I currently have a few like http://www.sportsdirect.com/adidas-response-short-sleeve-tshirt-ladies-456055 which is made from polyester. Or are cotton t-shirts better?

Just try different things to wear and see what feels better. You don't need lots of different stuff for running, apart from a comfortable pair of trainers.
  • Options
    What do you think of your running form? Is this the sort of thing you're basing your technique on? http://www.perfectcondition.ltd.uk/Articles/Improving%20running%20technique.htm
  • Options
    i dont think my running form is great. I apparently have an unstable pelvis, which is possibly caused by three pregnancies, one of them being a massive 10 pounder, and the fact my joints are hypermobile anyway. I also have tilted knees.
    I need to work on my core, but its hard enough to get the time to run, let alone other exercises
  • Options
    I pick one knee up more and swing the other leg out and around, I'm sure it must look wonky. Keep meaning to join a running club, thinking it would help with technique and motivation and stuff, but then can't be arsed to do it.

Which way do your knees tilt?

When you got fitted for your running shoes, were they the same size as your street shoes? The reason I ask is the guy who fitted mine sold me a pair two sizes larger than I normally wear. He said my feet would swell when running long distances. I've been running quite a few 10 and 11 milers and... they still feel too big, especially on my short foot, which is quite annoying. Do your feet change size? I think I need some new shoes...
  • Options
    I was told I needed bigger shoes too. However, I only went up half a size and not 2 sizes.

People who run in the streets / road - do you find you do better than running on a treadmill? I have been advised to do this; because it should mean something about how when running, I should run longer distances. In the way that I could not just stop when I'm getting bored ot whatever.
  • Options
    yeah mine are a 7.5 and im normally a 6.5
    if he fitted you for them and they dont feel right, take them back, because too big is not good either as youll clench your toes too much and it will affect your gait
  • Options
    and my knees tilt slightly inwards
  • Options
    i find running outside much easier than treadmill. Partly because treadmill is mind numbingly boring, and i get too hot. Plus the ability to stop and get off when i get bored, means i do just that - very quickly
  • Options
    What times are people running to?

I am seeing websites and people are talking about completing a first half marathon in under 2 hours... wtf... I'd be chuffed if I got 2:30 :rolleyes: But a few people have said it's a crap time
  • Options
    I've not been keeping track of times. Am planning a long run tomorrow if my hangover's not too bad so I'll time that and let you know. Had some bloods back today and I'm really low in iron :( I put it down to all the running. Hope the tablets sort it out. And, yet another reason for me to hang up my running shoes after October.
  • Options
    im generally running between 5.2 and 6.7mph it seems when i log it. Longer runs become slower times. A 10k takes me roughly an hour. I dont think its fast or particularly slow. I prefer to concentrate on endurance and distances, but am just quietly pleased if i beat my last time.
    Im *hoping* to do the half in 2.15 or under, but i wont be disappointed or anything if its longer, which it probably will be