Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Running thread.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Namaste wrote: »
    Well I didn't die...

I made it through... Looking for future half marathons to help improve my speed 'n' stuff. I didn't train enough for this and I'm not happy with my finishing time... But then I finished better than expected and knew I was just aiming to cross the finish line anyway.

Hey Namaste,

Well done!! I was in Bristol on Sunday and went for a run around the Downs where I could see you all running along by the river... I have to say, I found it a really muggy day for running, not helped by a strong wind blowing in my face, so good on you for doing better than expected! :thumb:

Cat x
    Turns out I have a surprise 6.5 miler tomorrow :(
    Correction, was a 5.7 mile run. Did it in 52 mins.
    Had a lovely run this morning. :) I know have a running partner and this makes everything so much easier. Managed 6.15km in 47:19. Bit slower than what I can do per km - but much further.
    Running is always better with someone else I find!
    if you run at similar paces and are a similar level of fitness.
    I actually like the solitude of running a lot of the time
    I do prefer running outside - can't stand the treadmill at all.

My friend is faster than me; but did go at my pace.
    i went running with a friend a few times, but she was a beginner, could barely run 4km, and that was with stopping to walk regularly and going a lot slower than i usually run.
    I had to keep making excuses, and ended up just telling her straight, that there was nothing in it for me to do those sort of runs.
    If ive got the time and the inclination for a run, then id rather do a proper one, not babysit someone just starting
  • LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    Well I didn't die...

I made it through... Looking for future half marathons to help improve my speed 'n' stuff. I didn't train enough for this and I'm not happy with my finishing time... But then I finished better than expected and knew I was just aiming to cross the finish line anyway.

I'm doing my first ever half marathon on Sunday (run to the beat) anyone else doing it? Or any last minute tips?
    I ran 10 miles today. Time was not great, but I hadn't been out for a while so I was quite pleased.

My area is very hilly (road races around here are apparently some of the most difficult in the country), so I feel like I have no sense of what I'd be like on flat ground. Might try to get into London to run the parks in the next few days.

I'm getting very nervous now!
    LauraO wrote: »
    I'm doing my first ever half marathon on Sunday (run to the beat) anyone else doing it? Or any last minute tips?

i really wanted to do that!! Good luck.
    Im doing the dedham 10k on sunday now

Don't use (eat, drink, wear) anything you've not had before.
  • LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    Thanks Melian, that's a really good point!

SuzyCreamCheese - good luck for the 10k on Sunday!

Piccolo - you'll be absolutely fine if you can run 10miles with hills, the longest I've ever done is 10.5 miles and I am assured by other runners that this will be enough. Is this your first half marathon?
    Yes, first time. Eek!

What do other people use to carry stuff? I don't really like having things in my pocket (inhaler, MP3 player, etc.)
    I have a bum bag. I also have a bottle belt (holds 1 bottle and has 2 zipped pockets) and do have an arm wallet. The arm wallet can be quite annoying - it's too big for me. The bottle belt means I can carry one bottle, key, MP3 player and phone.

You can buy ones that go over your shoulder - I've got one and they're so uncomfortable. Much prefer the bottle belt that goes on my waist.
    Yeah, first time.

What do other people carry their stuff in (inhaler, MP3 player, etc.)? I use pockets and hands but it's annoying.
    i carry my water bottle in my hand, and clip my mp3 player to my clothes. I put mykey in my sportsbra, but apart from that, i dont carry anything
    I find I drink much more if I've got my bottle in my hand.
    Hope it goes well. :)

Piccolo, 10 miles is great!

I have another half marathon in two weeks... I'm running 11 miles today, throwing in a bit of cross country. I have sorted out a fairly flat route with a few trails thrown in. Lookin' forward to it.
    Managed 5*400 walk/run intervals this morning. It seems to be taking ages for me do around 4km. If I go very slowly (jogging pace, basically) I can run 4.4km fine; but do anything more than 7.45/km pace and I basically get nowhere.

I have my first 5km race in 2 weeks. Hopefully, my legs will be ok by then.
    i did my first race today. a 10k and i was 57 minutes i think, although they shouted 49 at me as i passed the finish line, so not sure what that was all about. I have to say i found it harder than i expected. I usually do more than that in training runs, but it felt different doing it in a race with other people and no mp3player etc, and also there were several big hills which im not really used to, plus it was very warm. I managed it in a decent time - 6.5mph pace, but i really struggled towards the end. I'll probably have to slow my pace more for the half marathon and hope to god its a bit cooler
    piccolo wrote: »
    Yeah, first time.

What do other people carry their stuff in (inhaler, MP3 player, etc.)? I use pockets and hands but it's annoying.
    I have a belt, in which I have water, my phone/music, an Oyster travel card and money in case I get injured, plus for long runs I take a few sweets.
    I have a belt, in which I have water, my phone/music, an Oyster travel card and money in case I get injured, plus for long runs I take a few sweets.

i need to start doing that. What belt do you have?
    i need to start doing that. What belt do you have?

Nathan (which a friend has - no idea what mine is) is meant to be good.
    Melian wrote: »
    Nathan (which a friend has - no idea what mine is) is meant to be good.

eh?
    No running since Sunday :( I woke up this morning with a bad stomach again... Hoping this bug will pass. I dunno if it nerves from beauty which has entered my life, or mild food poisoning.
    i think it would annoy me to run with a waist bag, although maybe i should try and get used to it, as it would definitely be useful to have money on me or have somewhere to store an energy gel on long runs
    It can be annoying at times. I've run once (with my running partner) without one and it was so much easier.
    one week to go till the half marathon guys!!
    Is everyone ready?

gonna try and do a couple of long runs this week and a short one, and just hope i can wing it.

Anyone staying in london beforhand?