Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Running thread.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
  • Options
    I have printed off the beginner's running programme thing off the RPF website. To motivate me. I hope it fucking works. I need to feel better in general so...yeah.
  • Options
    that's brill thanks :D
  • Options
  • Options
    I just ran 6.5K in 50 minutes, thanks to several traffic lights, lots of cars and people who hog the pavements... I guess I should run later. :(
  • Options
    Right, heading out very late by my standards. Want to break 10k tonight have planned a route that is 10.5km (over lots of hills) and hope to do it in less than an hour and a half. Wish me luck!!
  • Options
    Good luck
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    Right, heading out very late by my standards. Want to break 10k tonight have planned a route that is 10.5km (over lots of hills) and hope to do it in less than an hour and a half. Wish me luck!!

Did it :yippe:

Took an audiobook instead of a playlist. Might have meant I didn't go as fast as I could have but I enjoyed it more.
  • Options
    well done kate x
  • Options
    Well done!
  • Options
    151 days to go till the half marathon!!
  • Options
    still feels ages away...
  • Options
    Got another query for you more experienced runners....what do you wear to go running?! I've been having some malfunctions.

The only trousers I own are jeans. So i've been running in jeans and a t-shirt and my usual walking type trainers. Needless to say my legs and feet have been getting hot. I know i should probably get myself a comfortable pair of breathable running shoes; which i will be at some point, but what trousers do I wear?! Tracksuit bottoms have horrible thick fabric and theres no way im wearing lycra!
  • Options
    I have woven running bottoms and they're fine. Sports Direct are your friend. I also bought a 'proper' running top because I didn't have any t-shirts at uni that I was happy to get all sweaty and that's been worthwhile because it's breathable. An airtex shirt would do just as well.
  • Options
    Blah wrote: »
    Got another query for you more experienced runners....what do you wear to go running?! I've been having some malfunctions.

The only trousers I own are jeans. So i've been running in jeans and a t-shirt and my usual walking type trainers. Needless to say my legs and feet have been getting hot. I know i should probably get myself a comfortable pair of breathable running shoes; which i will be at some point, but what trousers do I wear?! Tracksuit bottoms have horrible thick fabric and theres no way im wearing lycra!

you are actually my running twin :) i had the same problem although I only wear skirts and dresses which arent very good for running in. piccolos right sports direct is definitely your friend, i went there and bought a pair of jogging pants for about £7 I think, they're not really thick material but definitely not lycra! I bought a couple of tshirts to run in too but I think i'm going to invest in a proper running one now because i think i'll get a lot less sweaty! i also used to run in converse which was the only pair of trainer-ish shoes i had, it was such a bad idea and my feet were full of blisters. i got a pair of asics running trainers for my birthday, also from sports direct, they were £40 but they were meant to be £90. They've definitely made a difference, they're lovely to run in.
  • Options
    I love my asics trainers, good call!
  • Options
    If anyone is taking a rest day or a quieter day etc, try swimming, will keep your physical training up, but works the body all over and is low impact.
  • Options
    Really not liking the look of the running clothing/footwear! Not a fan of the sporty look at all :( im going to feel like sporty spice!!

Going to take a trip to sports direct on my day off next week :)
  • Options
    Really not liking the look of the running clothing/footwear! Not a fan of the sporty look at all :( im going to feel like sporty spice!!

Going to take a trip to sports direct on my day off next week :)

haha i look absolutely ridiculous in any sort of sports or casual wear, i never even wear trousers normally and dont own a pair of jeans, i look so bad! im just glad nobody really sees me when im running. i wish they had trendy running gear ha.
  • Options
    I normally wear 3/4 leggings and a vest top, with sports bra and good running shoes and running socks. I have some proper running leggings but i dont see what all the fuss is about. I find im more comfy in my cotton ones.

I also have a vest style jersey cotton dress that i sometimes wear with leggings which at least covers my bum.

I used to not like sporty looking clothing, but tbh, i dont really care now. I think it would look sillier to run in jeans. Sporty looking clothes are fine when youre actually exercising. Its only when people wear them at other times it looks bad
  • Options
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    If anyone is taking a rest day or a quieter day etc, try swimming, will keep your physical training up, but works the body all over and is low impact.

unless you do front crawl, this can be very bad advice. I did a big swimming session on my rest day and really hurt my knee and hip. breaststroke is really harsh on the joints because of the frog/kicking motion, unless youre professionally trained to do it properly
  • Options
    LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    Hey Blah
    This may come across as stupid, but how do you know how far your running?!

I maybe a bit late in reply to this, but I am training for a 10k and half marathon atm and use the Nike + ipod sport thing (you can google it) it was about £20 and you need an ipod already but you just attach the clip on part to your shoe (don't necessarily need nike trainers - just buy the clip for couple of pounds on amazon) and then whilst your'e listening to music it will measure how far you go, your speed etc. I really like it, I was struggling to motivate myself before as didn't know how far was going so this has really helped.

Or if you have an iphone or andriod you could get the Runkeeper app: http://runkeeper.com/ which does the same thing but for less money - I just don't have a smartphone still stuck in dark ages :(

Good luck with your training :thumb:
    LauraO
  • Options
    I just use mapmyrun.com.
  • Options
    LauraO wrote: »
    Hey Blah

I maybe a bit late in reply to this, but I am training for a 10k and half marathon atm and use the Nike + ipod sport thing (you can google it) it was about £20 and you need an ipod already but you just attach the clip on part to your shoe (don't necessarily need nike trainers - just buy the clip for couple of pounds on amazon) and then whilst your'e listening to music it will measure how far you go, your speed etc. I really like it, I was struggling to motivate myself before as didn't know how far was going so this has really helped.

Or if you have an iphone or andriod you could get the Runkeeper app: http://runkeeper.com/ which does the same thing but for less money - I just don't have a smartphone still stuck in dark ages :(

Good luck with your training :thumb:
    LauraO

thank you, going to look into that, sounds quite cool.
  • Options
    Do you get to a point when you're running that the action becomes so repetitive that it then feels like you're doing nothing, which in turn feels incredibly boring so you want to do something fun like start skipping instead? Or just me?
  • Options
    nooo, i feel like im flying.

Not really enjoying it very much are you?
    I hope youre not feeling like you have to do it for me, cos you really dont xx
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Do you get to a point when you're running that the action becomes so repetitive that it then feels like you're doing nothing, which in turn feels incredibly boring so you want to do something fun like start skipping instead? Or just me?

Thats why I much prefer running outside on a circular rather than just a there and back route, far less boring than on a treadmill in a gym.
  • Options
    yeah, running on a treadmill is boring as fuck. Running outside is awesome
  • Options
    Right, my family are registered for a run on Fathers' Day. Sponsorship would be awesome it's for a local hospice. Link in my sig.
  • Options
    hows it all going guys?

Ive gone up to 11k since the weekend, but im still getting niggles and yesterday i got a nasty sciatic pain in my bum from my run. I think im naturally imbalanced somewhere, so am going to join back up to the gym to start doing other exercises to strengthen my core and other muscles to see if that improves my running. Apparently one of the instructors there is really knowledgeable about that sort of thing and could help. Cheaper than seeing a physio anyway.