Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Running thread.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
So guys, piccolo's idea, but here is a running thread, partially for those getting ready for that half marathon in 30 weeks, but anyone else who wants to take it up.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    :thumb:
  • Options
    Going to go to the gym again on Friday (was going to go tonight but my mum has a meeting so I am on dog sitting duty), long walk with mummy and doggies on Saturday, and maybe go for a job with le mutt on Sunday, then back to gym on Monday/Wednesday/Friday next week, hopefully.
  • Options
    Second run tomorrow morning. Only 19 more runs before it becomes a habit :p
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    Second run tomorrow morning. Only 19 more runs before it becomes a habit :p

Bloody Oxford. I should have gone to Cambridge, there are no hills in Cambridge!
  • Options
    been using my new treadmill today. 2km run, a rest, then another 2km run

Not a lot, but i havent run for about 6-8 weeks, was already knackered after that
  • Options
    Just did a 4km run earlier, too hot over here, feel like death.

My wee tells me im very dehydrated right now :(
  • Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    Just did a 4km run earlier, too hot over here, feel like death.

My wee tells me im very dehydrated right now :(
    What the temperature where you are now?
  • Options
    It was 35c that day.
  • Options
    I've been running on treadmill since February and took it outdoors at the beginning of this month... Just done my third 5K solo run in 34.32 minutes... is this OK for a beginner?

Man... It gets easier quite fast...

Is it better to focus on getting my time back 7-10 minutes, or should I focus more on achieving a longer distance, like 10K?
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    I've been running on treadmill since February and took it outdoors at the beginning of this month... Just done my third 5K solo run in 34.32 minutes... is this OK for a beginner?

Man... It gets easier quite fast...

Is it better to focus on getting my time back 7-10 minutes, or should I focus more on achieving a longer distance, like 10K?

I did my first race in just over 32 minutes (the other people make you go faster!) so that's about right I reckon :-)

It's up to you what you do with it next. Following the training plan I'm using, you could get to half-marathon distance by September if you decide to go further.

On a different note, I know running is supposed to cheer you up (boosting endorphins, etc.) but I seem to crash emotionally after every run, does anyone else have this problem?
  • Options
    I've really got into running over the past few months. I did a couple of 10K runs last year and I think I've caught the bug since then :)

My only problem is I don't run outside (mainly due to the fact I'd rather not be seen looking like a red faced loon!). So just stick to the treadmill. I normally do 6-8K a couple of times a week, but I'm slowly trying to increase it. Just I'm suffering from a massive case of shin splints, ouch ouch ouch :crying:

Hopefully when the weather starts picking up and it's lighter at night I might brave some outdoor running :nervous:
  • Options
    You can get as good a time as you want on the tread mills, but if you dont do outdoors running you will either find yourself not as fit as you thought, or potentially increase the chance of damage if you smash into a long distance run.

The only reason im using the treadmills today, is because of a sandstorm.
  • Options
    I personally find that treadmills knacker my joints; I much prefer running outside on concrete and grass. I normally do 5 miles 3x per week and sometimes intersperse it with football. Which is why I'm so buff :D
  • Options
    i think running outside is better. Just altogether nicer, and i can run for longer outside. Partly because on the treadmill if you get tired, you switch it off. If youre out running and you get tired, youve still got to run home again :)
  • Options
    I did 18.36km yesterday and now I have sore hips and can barely touch my toes. harumph!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    I personally find that treadmills knacker my joints; I much prefer running outside on concrete and grass. I normally do 5 miles 3x per week and sometimes intersperse it with football. Which is why I'm so buff :D

Treadmills make me feel like i have put my lower back out.
  • Options
    I've only been on a treadmill a couple of times but I like how you can measure how far and how fast you're going constantly.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    I did 18.36km yesterday and now I have sore hips and can barely touch my toes. harumph!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

woohoo, was that pure running? wow, you shouldnt have any problem in october then.
    Im going to join a local running group i think in an attempt to vary my route
  • Options
    nope, walk run, walk run the whole way about 2:1 distance wise.
  • Options
    I ran about 100 yards today to catch a train and was shamefully exhausated by the time I collapsed onto a seat.
  • Options
    5k in 22 mins, ouch!
  • Options
    woo, thats fast
  • Options
    woo, thats fast

Yeah but I've had two days off from the gym afterwards though lol.
  • Options
    19.03km Must.Stretch!
  • Options
    I haven't been able to run much this week due to not feeling too good. :(

Today I ran from Tooting to Streatham and then back (having picked up some cajun sauce from Morrisons), which is around 6K (I walked a bit of it, due to a thin pavement and lots of families/bus stops ect).

I think I am gonna start running before work, starting at around 15-20K per week and working up.
  • Options
    Riiiight. I wanna get into doing this. I'm seriously unfit at the minute and i really wanna try and improve my general fitness and stamina.

Any tips for a new starter? How much should i run to start with?
  • Options
    ive heard a lot of good things about the c25k (couch to 5k) plan

http://www.c25k.com/
  • Options

Ah thanks SC :)
  • Options
    Ouch, ouch, ouch...I have a bad case of shin splints :crying:

How can I get rid of them/ease them without resorting to cutting my own leg off?! :impissed:
  • Options

That's the basis of what I'm doing - though mine keeps the same theory going to a half marathon.