Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Running thread.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think some of those people have probably been training for years. I do know people who do manage 10k in around 40 minutes; but do know others who take almost an hour.
  • Options
    Timed this eve - 12.77miles = 2hrs 12mins

I've taken most of the hill osf out my run so it's much easier to run longer distances. I had more hills in when I started and was really struggling, and my knees were not going to take it.
  • Options
    Just looked for training advice and came across this http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/half-marathon-training-593 tickled me as it's all gobbledy gook to me.
  • Options
    Honestly though, I fucking hate running. Recently I've been tanking up on alcohol just to get myself out of the house to run. And tonight's sober run was so boring I was trying to do little hand and arm dances all the way round, alternating between singing michael jackson and "I hate running" in time with my foot fall. I think I might quit. Fuck my £45 and the fact that it would be an achievement. I want my flexibilty back, want my legs to not be all bulky and horrid. Running is a miserable activity (for me). Perhaps I'll change my mind in the morning...
  • Options
    awww, give it a few days/week or so, and see how you feel.
    do you listen to music? do you vary your routes?
  • Options
    I'm struggling now I've moved, too. The routes around here are just awful residential streets. I miss the parks in Oxford. Thankfully, my parents have a treadmill and lots of boxsets of good American telly.

Does anyone fancy doing one of these training runs that the Royal Parks are offering?
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    I'm struggling now I've moved, too. The routes around here are just awful residential streets. I miss the parks in Oxford. Thankfully, my parents have a treadmill and lots of boxsets of good American telly.

Does anyone fancy doing one of these training runs that the Royal Parks are offering?

Only one I could do would be the September one, if you fancy?
  • Options
    Cool, we'll talk nearer the time :)

Anyone else in?
  • Options
    That really was a waste of time. Went out for a short run this evening. (about 8 and a half minutes according to my phone) It was far too hot. :(
  • Options
    Running is a good exercise and i like to run 4 miles per day and it is sufficient for me and thanks for sharing this. It is a nice thread and running is the best sports and good for stamina.

personal trainers orange county
  • Options
    Bought a running magazine yesterday because it had a thing about beginner's running in it.

Bought an iPod armband, sports headphones and a running music CD this morning.

Going to Chelmsford on Saturday to go running shoes shopping.

YES I WILL START RUNNING PROPERLY. YES. I. WILL.
  • Options
    Well, I ran my first mile on Saturday (11:15) and came home with a slightly injury. Hope tomorrow's run is better.
  • Options
    What was the slight injury?
  • Options
    My shin hurts when I run.
  • Options
    thatll be crap trainers
  • Options
    Mine were fitted properly. And I had no problems on Tuesday, Thursday or whenever I've been to the gym.
  • Options
    shoes that are ok for the gym, will not necessarily be ok for running outside, and a good fit, does not mean theyre good running shoes.
    Id have thought a mile would be ok to run in, but if youve got a shin splint, it would suggest to me that either theyre not cushioned enough or are a bit worn out, or maybe something to do with your running form?
  • Options
    I don't think trainers will make much difference over one mile though, probably not an injury but some normal muscle ache as they adjust to new ways of working.
  • Options
    I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it but my mums hair dresser mentioned this podcast she has on her ipod thats apparently really good and motivating.

It's from the NHS called 'Couch to 5K' or something, I've just downloaded it and have yet to test it out - but that meant to be really good on getting people running :)
  • Options
    I am off to run 21K lol

I think I can do it... I have been so burnt out from work, I only ran twice this week... But 13 hours sleep hopefully has sorted me out.

I have a Clif Bar ready for when I return and sweets for the journey.

Hope I don't die... RunBristol Half Marathon is on 11th September and I'm not coming home without completing it!
  • Options
    so hows the royal parks team coming along? Everyone doing alright with their training?? Just over a month to go!
  • Options
    Good luck guys.
  • Options
    With my half marathon next week... I'll cross the finish line, but won't have a good time.

Got hit with a rubbish cold last week and was zapped of energy, so only got a crappy 10K in (I did run the full half marathon last weekend, so know the distance is achievable).

This Saturday I was on my feet all day and today I've gotta head somewhere soon, so no time for a run either. :rolleyes: Gonna try to pull off a 16K tomorrow... 10-16K Wednesday and hope I don't make a tit of myself on the day.

Stupid me, trying to do this in 8 weeks.
  • Options
    You will do better by finishing as opposed to mashing in near the end.
  • Options
    if youre not feeling well, just go for finishing it, and dont worry about any PBs.
    I find it really hard to run when im not feeling 100%. My body just wants to shut down and feels all achey and toxic if im not well rested, or had good nutrition the previous day
  • Options
    I've been throwing up most of my food for over a month (about 6-7 weeks at this point in time, think it's an intolerance - seeing a doctor about it again on Friday) so any time I've attempted exercise it has failed miserably :(.

Think I'm going to have to end up walking this one :(. WILL run Brighton, though. YES I WILL.
  • Options
    Bristol half on Sunday...
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    Bristol half on Sunday...

Good luck :heart:
  • Options
    Well I didn't die...

I made it through... Looking for future half marathons to help improve my speed 'n' stuff. I didn't train enough for this and I'm not happy with my finishing time... But then I finished better than expected and knew I was just aiming to cross the finish line anyway.
  • Options
    Had a slight problem with running yesterday. A friend claims my laces were tied too tightly.:blush:

I now have a running partner, which is wonderful. :)

Running is going ok. Suzy was right - my problem was my trainers. Twice they got it wrong. Went to another shop, got new trainers and am running much better now. Not happy that I now have to go to Saltash to get shoes fitted - not sure I can trust the shop I went to where they got it wrong twice. I need virtually no support - they claim I need a lot.