Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Running thread.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    From the Royal Parks website. I'm about to start this I hope.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    From the Royal Parks website. I'm about to start this I hope.

That actually works really well, because I can get my gym time in on Mondays and Wednesdays, but go for a run on Tuesdays between work and Slimming World and then on Thursday I can do things without being stressed out, go to see Boy on Friday night/Saturday and then go for a run on Sundays. LIKE.
  • Options
    i think ive done my hips in increasing my distance too much too soon after jumping from 8.5k to 14k last week :( They really ache now, and yesterday i could barely do 5k without them hurting and me needing to walk for a while.

Im not sure what to do, whether i need to go back to the beginning and train back up again? My fitness is fine, but i dont want to damage my hips
  • Options
    Physios suggestion to me, with something completely different, was to go back to what I can do comfortably without it causing pain, and gradually build back up from there. Making sure to warm up well, and stretch properly afterwards.
  • Options
    I am having major difficulties with other stuff at the moment and haven't been running this week.

It's an awful catch-22. Not running makes me feel bad but I can't find the energy to run.
  • Options
    still laid up with knee, I'm going to panic over training if it doesn't go away soon...
  • Options
    ive booked to see a physio next week about my hip. I actually think it was swimming breaststroke for an hour that started it off, as thats when it first started hurting and then running that distance 2 days later didnt help
  • Options
    9km, 1 hour 10 mins. Getting there slowly, but I'm pleased that after a week of being unable to get out I managed a PB. Hope it helps me sleep before my exams tomorrow.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    9km, 1 hour 10 mins. Getting there slowly, but I'm pleased that after a week of being unable to get out I managed a PB. Hope it helps me sleep before my exams tomorrow.

Well done :)
  • Options
    fab. well done!!
  • Options
    hi

I've recently decided to take up running. I've always been pretty against any form of exercise (other than walking, which I do daily anyway) because being out of breath makes me feel ill and sore; so I thought why would I bother putting myself through that?

However, i have recently decided that I want to be fitter, and really been pushing myself to do real exercise daily.

I dont know whether I am doing it right, I started off on the wii fit (doing the 3 min run on the spot) daily, combined with other wii fit exercises, and then after a week of this I started to run outside.

Im finding it really hard. I have been running with my dog in the woods. The most i've managed to do so far is 6.5 minutes and then I have to slow down to a brisk walk to recover before starting again, however once I go into a run again i'm exhausted after about a minute

Maybe i'm more unfit than I thought? I'm on day 10.

Anyone got any tips for a beginner? I dont want to give up :)
  • Options
    Maybe youre trying to go too fast. Try a gentle jog, only a bit faster than walking to start off with, and build it up. You shouldnt be sprinting anywhere unless its short distances.

If you prefer to go faster though, then doing run for a minute then walk for a minute is good too, and then gradually increase the time running - 2mins run to 1 min walk, and build it up like that.

I prefer the slower jogging method though to build up stamina, and i find it more enjoyable and faster to start seeing improvements
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    No weight bearing on my right leg at the moment, hobbling around still- bugger.

hows the knee now?
  • Options
    I've hurt my ankle. Nowt serious but limits me to short intervals, no long runs until it stops hurting. I didn't even do it running, twisted it on the stairs!
  • Options
  • Options
    Maybe youre trying to go too fast. Try a gentle jog, only a bit faster than walking to start off with, and build it up. You shouldnt be sprinting anywhere unless its short distances.

If you prefer to go faster though, then doing run for a minute then walk for a minute is good too, and then gradually increase the time running - 2mins run to 1 min walk, and build it up like that.

I prefer the slower jogging method though to build up stamina, and i find it more enjoyable and faster to start seeing improvements

thanks for that

Im already slow jogging i think i must just be extremely unfit!!
  • Options
    It's absolutely fine doing anything other than running- sod's law. Am going to try a run on it on Monday so... we'll see.
  • Options
    was sure I quoted then, ah well- you know what I mean.
  • Options
    have you thought of trying the cross trainer. Its supposed to work the same muscles as running, but without the impact on your joints
  • Options
    Blah wrote: »
    thanks for that

Im already slow jogging i think i must just be extremely unfit!!

i feel the same! i'm on week 4/5 of the couch to 5k plan so ive been going out 3-4 times a week now for half an hour and im still absolutely crap at running. i can tell that im getting better but only very slowly. i'm really similiar to you, i can only run for 5 minutes very slowly and then i walk, then when i start again i get really out of breath after about a minute. im determined to carry on with the whole plan but im starting to wonder whether im just really not cut out to be a runner, ha. :|
  • Options
    i think to be able to run for 5 minutes starting from scratch isnt bad considering youre only a month in. Dont lose heart. Fitness is gradual, you get a little bit better at a time, and then before you know it, youll be jogging a good 20/30 minutes
  • Options
    have you thought of trying the cross trainer. Its supposed to work the same muscles as running, but without the impact on your joints

Hadn't thought of that, will give it a go if Monday is a fail.
  • Options
    i feel the same! i'm on week 4/5 of the couch to 5k plan so ive been going out 3-4 times a week now for half an hour and im still absolutely crap at running. i can tell that im getting better but only very slowly. i'm really similiar to you, i can only run for 5 minutes very slowly and then i walk, then when i start again i get really out of breath after about a minute. im determined to carry on with the whole plan but im starting to wonder whether im just really not cut out to be a runner, ha. :|
    Kinda glad im not the only one who feels like this! What sort of surface are you running on? my running friend told me last night that pavement is harder than other things. Im running in the woods with my dog, would like to try pavement but im too embarressed in case drivers honk while im hyperventillating on the side of the road :|
  • Options
    Kinda glad im not the only one who feels like this! What sort of surface are you running on? my running friend told me last night that pavement is harder than other things. Im running in the woods with my dog, would like to try pavement but im too embarressed in case drivers honk while im hyperventillating on the side of the road :|

haha i feel exactly the same. im running on this country park thing near my house, i find it quite hard though because theres 3 big hills that knacker me out just brisk walking up them, never mind running. i have triedrunning on pavement but i dont want people to laugh at me when i have to stop!
  • Options
    haha i feel exactly the same. im running on this country park thing near my house, i find it quite hard though because theres 3 big hills that knacker me out just brisk walking up them, never mind running. i have triedrunning on pavement but i dont want people to laugh at me when i have to stop!
    You must be my secret twin, all of this sounds soo familiar. I am also crap at hill walking! Maybe we'll get there with the running...one day. I'd like to run for charity next year!
  • Options
    I alternate routes with hills and without. There are a lot of runners around here so if I go out at runner-o'clock (about 7ish) when it's relatively quiet otherwise I don't feel too self-conscious on the roads.
  • Options
    You must be my secret twin, all of this sounds soo familiar. I am also crap at hill walking! Maybe we'll get there with the running...one day. I'd like to run for charity next year!

im doing race for life in july and i want to try and run it all, its 5K and considering im doing 'couch to 5K' we'll see whether the plan actually works or not, hehe :)
  • Options
    im doing race for life in july and i want to try and run it all, its 5K and considering im doing 'couch to 5K' we'll see whether the plan actually works or not, hehe :)

By the time I finished Couch to 5k (using the Fun Run app for Blackberry) I was doing 9k.
  • Options
    Did 10k yesterday :heart:
  • Options
    This may come across as stupid, but how do you know how far your running?!

I just find somewhere to run and then time myself.