Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Running thread.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i was hoping to run as much as possible tbh.
    my latest route is 8.5k and i run pretty much all of it. It takes me roughly 45 minutes.

How long do you run and how long do you walk for?

I haven't tried a long pure run yet, only actually done three runs since signing up- I need more discipline...
  • Options
    I have been too burnt out from work to run last week... I am going tomorrow morning at 6am
  • Options
    well i guess theres still 5 and a half months to train, but as i said, my plan is to run it as much as i can and im training hard to do that
  • Options
    Me too, though I fear I'm nowhere near what you're managing at the mo!

Back to it tomorrow morning. Now I'm getting further, I am able to get to the university parks, which are (1) full of the joys of spring, and (2) somewhat flatter than the rest of the city!
  • Options
    I think I'm going to join the local running club... Can't get motivated to pound the streets on my own.
  • Options
    that might work!!

I dont think you can really say that your natural running is run/walk/run/walk if youve only been out a few times. Everyone starts off like that. It takes time to build up stamina.

Maybe your pace is too fast?

When i started i was trying to run fast and getting burnt out quite quickly and needed to walk, but when i noticed other people, i noticed quite a lot of people were jogging but not nearly as fast as id been trying to go. When i slowed down my pace, of course i was able to go a lot lot longer, and only a couple of times after realising that, i was able to jog 5km fairly comfortably with only a short rest at the halfway mark before turning back. I say comfortably - obviously i was still knackered afterwards, but it was ok.
    Then when i felt i could do that no problem, i started trying to beat my time. Then when my time got a little better, i started not taking my halfway break. Then after a while of that, i increased my distance. And so on.
    When my muscles stop feeling weird after the 8.5k run, im going to try and increase my distance.
    This has already taken a couple of months though of going out maybe 4, sometimes 5 times a week, so id say you need to start being serious about the training soon if youre going to do it. If you do a long run like a 20k half marathon with inadequate training, you could really injure yourself
  • Options
    and as i said before, timing your nutrition before a run is ESSENTIAL for stamina.
  • Options
    Does anyone have any good tips for picking up running? I enjoy going to the gym but with the weather so lovely I'd rather take some of my exercise outdoors into the sunshine. I am fairly fit now and do occasionally run on the treadmill (much as I hate treadmills), the thing that always puts me off is technique. I always seem to end up hurting my knees when I run too much.
  • Options
    I always seem to end up hurting my knees when I run too much.

Any chance your trainers need replacing? Have you tried strapping your knee up?

I have found that having something to train for gives me the impetus to get up and go - I feel obliged to so I make sure I do it.
  • Options
    LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    :heart: this thread - just stumbled across it.
    I am doing Run to the Beat half marathon in Sept and the Bupa 10k in May and loving read through all your tips etc. as I am v scared about them both :nervous:
    I'm having problems with shin splints too piecesofpie, but now know I must go buy some new trainers asap!
  • Options
    definitely get new trainers kermit, ones with good cushioning
  • Options
    Have left the local running club a message, they run tomorrow evening so... hopefully they'll get back to me before then.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    Any chance your trainers need replacing? Have you tried strapping your knee up?

My trainers aren't that old and they're a fairly decent pair of Nike Airs. I generally only wear them for the gym as I don't like wearing trainers socially, although I've been wearing them more recently.

It tends to be that I end up running flat-footed, so obviously the shock is far more than if I was running more efficiently. Might just need to think about my technique, even if it means I'm running really slowly.
  • Options
    It tends to be that I end up running flat-footed, so obviously the shock is far more than if I was running more efficiently. Might just need to think about my technique, even if it means I'm running really slowly.

That sounds sensible is there anyone at the gym who can help?
  • Options
    Half marathon next month. Need to choose a charity and get collecting! I did 14 km at the weekend, which was great, but damn hot.

I'll second what Suzy said: pre-loading carbs is essential if you want to run longer distances.
  • Options
    Half marathon next month. Need to choose a charity and get collecting! I did 14 km at the weekend, which was great, but damn hot.

I'll second what Suzy said: pre-loading carbs is essential if you want to run longer distances.

Pasta bake the night before, pasta sandwich for breakfast!
  • Options
    Well, no running for me- sore knee. I'll have to take at least a few days resting before trying anything. Shame, nothing hurts apart from going downstairs and trying to run. I blame the new rangled running shoes. Pah- shoulda stuck to my £6 nike bargain basement skany old trainers...
  • Options
    ahh thats a shame, definitely best to rest up
  • Options
    i did 14.5 k yesterday. Took me 1hr30. My legs were hurting by the end of it, especially my hip for some reason, but seems ok today. Really pleased with myself though. I just cant imagine adding an extra 5k onto that!
    I feel like i could go further fitness wise. I wasnt too knackered or anything or out of breath, but my legs just felt like they would give out.
  • Options
    I need motivation I'm struggling to get out of bed.

Must run this evening.
  • Options
    I think I might go with katralla's idea and see if there's a running club around here. I'm so bad at getting myself motivated :(
  • Options
    if you dont train enough in advance, you know you could really injure yourself permanently doing the long run in october? If you leave it till the last minute and hope to wing it, youll do yourself in.
    Running clubs are definitely a good idea to give you motivation, but i think youre all gonna need to go out on your own too, because if youre just running once a week at a running club, its probably not going to be enough to see improvement in your stamina.

Not to dishearten, because ANY exercise is good for you, and should be applauded, but to train for a long run and to see a difference in fitness, stamina and to get your muscles and ligaments used to distances, they say you need at least 3 times a week, and you know its only going to get harder once it starts getting hot.
  • Options
    Not to dishearten, because ANY exercise is good for you, and should be applauded, but to train for a long run and to see a difference in fitness, stamina and to get your muscles and ligaments used to distances, they say you need at least 3 times a week, and you know its only going to get harder once it starts getting hot.

I've been astonished by how much I've improved going out (mostly) every other day. I've had blips and days I've missed and stuff (and try not to beat myself up over them) but despite them I'm already doing distances I didn't think I could do regularly.
  • Options
    if you dont train enough in advance, you know you could really injure yourself permanently doing the long run in october? If you leave it till the last minute and hope to wing it, youll do yourself in.
    Running clubs are definitely a good idea to give you motivation, but i think youre all gonna need to go out on your own too, because if youre just running once a week at a running club, its probably not going to be enough to see improvement in your stamina.

Oh, I know. Right now my mum is on a, "you need to come home and do x, y and z tonight" kick because her big show is on Sunday, so I've not been able to go to the gym every other night like I was planning to. Everything is a bit hectic. I have the whole of next week off work, though, so hopefully will be able to take Millie Mutt out for a couple of outdoor runs on Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday before I go up to London on (in theory) Thursday.
  • Options
    7km, 1 hour. Not great, but getting there!
  • Options
    brilliant!!!
  • Options
    That's pretty damn good!
  • Options
    i did 14.5 k yesterday. Took me 1hr30. My legs were hurting by the end of it, especially my hip for some reason, but seems ok today. Really pleased with myself though. I just cant imagine adding an extra 5k onto that!
    I feel like i could go further fitness wise. I wasnt too knackered or anything or out of breath, but my legs just felt like they would give out.
    That's awesome!

I have been lagging on my running training... Basically due to exhaustion from my job, so I've changed my diet and cut out the caffeine and I feel amazing again. I was also over-training... For example, running 5K, then doing 30 minutes on a high resistance, plus weights at the gym before I was actually fit enough... Then not resting the next day and so on...

I ran about 6.4KM in around 45 minutes today... I coulda actually gone longer I think, but I did that from 5K before, so didn't wanna overdo it. I'm starting to love running even more and am gonna focus maybe on say... 3 sessions of running per week and a few in the gym, either with body pump class, or kettlebell training.
  • Options
    No weight bearing on my right leg at the moment, hobbling around still- bugger.
  • Options
    Can anybody recommend me a good free half marathon plan?