Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Bnp.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    lyric wrote: »

I'm sure they do but what about the ones that are here now? The illegal ones? The ones committing crime? The ones thinking they own the place? The ones hanging on the street corner by my nans' house intimidating people? The ones who don't work and scrounge off benefits and have about twenty five kids? The ones who CAN'T speak English?
    And of course people born in Britain don't do any of those things :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I'm sure they do but what about the ones that are here now? The illegal ones? The ones committing crime? The ones thinking they own the place? The ones hanging on the street corner by my nans' house intimidating people? The ones who don't work and scrounge off benefits and have about twenty five kids? The ones who CAN'T speak English?

Seriously, I never usually recommend that anyone does this but, you should watch Jeremy Kyle sometimes and so how many of our fellow countrymen would fulfill pretty much all of those elements.

You aren't making these comments because you don't like that type of behaviour are you? You making these comments because you don't like the fact that people "who don't look like you" act in this way too. How very dare they.
  • Options

They're valid concerns, but what do you think the BNP would do about it?
    I'm not convinced by the "hanging on street corners" thing. My grandmother regularly complains about how in her day everyone used to stand outside and talk to each other because they saw themselves as a community, but now a group of people standing outside talking is intimidating.
    As thunderstruck said, people who cheat the benefit system are doing wrong whether they were born here or not. I don't think it would make many people feel better if they only let Brits do it.
    As significant as these problems are, they're not exclusive to immigrants, so they need to be dealt with generally.
  • Options
    Ok, last post from me on this thread as it's getting very dull and circular.

As I mentioned in a post a while back in this thread, whilst ridiculing Lyric for her naivity can make the left-leaning people on here feel nice and smug about themselves, there is a serious issue at hand which is worthy of debate.

Sadly under Labour, even the mention of mass immigration as anything but unmitigated awesomeness would mean you'd be dragged through the mill as a racist bigot. As Brown found out much to his dismay when he was accosted by that Duffy woman, this is a genuine issue that a lot of ordinary people have genuine concerns about. In his little enclave of Westminster and in his amazingly ethnically homogenous constituency in Scotland, the effects of 13 years of mass immigration must have looked fairly minimal. However, if you look at Bradford, the East End of London, much of East Anglia and other large connurbations, I'm sure the picture is very different.

Even the Graun's Comment is Free section has been caught up in what was until very recently, a largely verboten debate. For the sake of balance, I'll present articles from each side of the debate. I think the general tone of the comments left by people afterwards speak for themselves.

1. Hina Majid: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/jun/08/tackling-global-poverty-requires-ethical-immigration-policy
    2. Daniel Trilling: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/jun/10/expecting-immigrants-speak-english-hypocritical

3. Tim Finch: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/jun/09/labour-leadership-immigration-angst

Finally, another piece by Tim Finch on the Open Democracy site stating what a lot of people, including myself, have been thinking for a while about the attitude of certain parts of the left regarding their attitude towards immigration and how it stifles genuine progression: http://www.opendemocracy.net/5050/tim-finch/is-progressive-case-for-migration-truly-progressive

Apologies for the link-fest; it's been really interesting and genuinely surprising that CiF of all places has become a hotbed for debate around this topic. I guess more sane people read Rusbridger's rag than I give them credit for.
  • Options
    saw this and thought of this thread, so just throwing it in there

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/the-staggers/2010/04/higher-immigration-bnp-support

seems to make sense!
  • Options
    It is the anti-BNP brigade who cause all the problems see this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z03WXCKOBoI

What gives people of the anti-BNP brigade the right to riot on our streets and terrorise people? If all these so called anti-fascists went away there would be no trouble.
  • Options
    I'd much rather have trouble than fascist & racist scum marching unchecked on our streets.

And let's not be under any illusions about the real objective of BNP marches and meetings at towns and cities with a large ethnic minority presence.
  • Options
    Goldsword wrote: »
    It is the anti-BNP brigade who cause all the problems see this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z03WXCKOBoI

What gives people of the anti-BNP brigade the right to riot on our streets and terrorise people? If all these so called anti-fascists went away there would be no trouble.

What gives the BNP the right to instigate increases in racial tensions?
  • Options

The ANL (for example) are just as anti-democratic as the BNP I don't hold much trcuk with them either. However, at least they are concerned about people's actions and beliefs rather than just the colour of their skin and/or religion.

Is this your way of coming out as a BNP supporter too?
  • Options

The fact that there have been violent anti-BNP demonstrations has nothing to do with the BNP's credibility.
  • Options
    G wrote: »
    What gives the BNP the right to instigate increases in racial tensions?
    They do not instigate racial tensions! That is done by the government who allow mass immigration which forces native Britons to compete with the few jobs avialable in times of reccession!

If previous governments had gotton tough on immigration then there would be no need for the BNP as a party to exist.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    I'd much rather have trouble than fascist & racist scum marching unchecked on our streets.

Are you really saying that someone's political opinion is more important than whether or not they obey the law?
    Protests are legal, problems like violence are not legal. Things like skin colour, religion and political belief have to be kept seperate from the enforcement of the law and basic human rights. Anyone willing to deny someone their right to protest because they don't like their reason for protesting is as bad as the BNP are. I don't think the BNP will ever win an election but if we start to condone these kinds of problems at protests orgainsed by certain people it won't be the BNP that destroy democracy, it will be us.
  • Options
    Kaff wrote: »
    Indeed. The fact is, illegal immigrants aside (I'm sure everyone can agree that they shouldn't be here), economic migrants would not come to this country if there was no work for them. They couldn't take 'our' jobs if 'we' were already in them!

On another note, how indigenous do you need to be to be an indigenous Brit? Just out of interest.

Well there are people desperate for jobs but the companies give them to Poles and Asians because Poles and Asians are willing to work for less money. It happens where I work.
  • Options
    Well there are people desperate for jobs but the companies give them to Poles and Asians because Poles and Asians are willing to work for less money. It happens where I work.

I don't know where you work, but I find that hard to believe. Did you hire them? Do you pay their wages?

In my experience, the situation is normally that 'Poles and Asians' are hired either because they will work ten times as hard for the same money, or because they cannot recruit local British staff as these people who are 'desperate for jobs' feel the work is beneath them.

Legal migrants are entitled to the same basic working rights as anyone else, including the minimum wage. You shouldn't believe all the borderline racist crap you are peddled.
  • Options
    Under 18's are generally employed for less money than adults. Should we kick them out of the country too?
  • Options

In that case blame the employers and not the employees.
  • Options
    No idea. I'm a second-generation immigrant I suppose since my grandparents came over here from Ireland to help in the war effort. I guess that doesn't make me British enough to opine on immigration matters...

they_took_our_jobs_tshirt-d235648038281095886yhmi_325.jpg

That's different. Your parents came here to help in the war effort! And a lot of England is Irish.
  • Options
    What difference does it make to why people come over?

Is it so wrong for people to get away from persecution?
  • Options
    My grandfather came over from Poland during the war to escape the persecution of Nick Griffin's favourite 1930s politician. Am I British enough?
  • Options
    My grandad came over because he loved my granny, not because he wanted to contribute to the war effort from England or anything. Should he have been kicked out?
  • Options
    Ve come from India. Are ve British enough ol' chappy? :p

goodness_1250376c.jpg
  • Options

mOST pOLES ARE LEAVING AND HEADING FOR WHERE THE WORK IS NOW ...pOLAND.
  • Options
    In my experience, the situation is normally that 'Poles and Asians' are hired either because they will work ten times as hard for the same money, or because they cannot recruit local British staff as these people who are 'desperate for jobs' feel the work is beneath them.

:yes:

there are many people who are out of work but do not wish to take up menial jobs because they used to be 'professionals' and think they are too good for low wage jobs, particularly in recent years.

my experience of 'Poles and Asians' is that they work damn hard and earn the money they are paid. they are not hired because of their nationality or because they are cheap labour, they are hired because they are often the only ones willing to do the job.
  • Options
    omg hi wrote: »
    :yes:

there are many people who are out of work but do not wish to take up menial jobs because they used to be 'professionals' and think they are too good for low wage jobs, particularly in recent years.

my experience of 'Poles and Asians' is that they work damn hard and earn the money they are paid. they are not hired because of their nationality or because they are cheap labour, they are hired because they are often the only ones willing to do the job.
    Exactly.

Tell me, lyric, would your parents be willing to work through the night flipping burgers for barely minimum wage? Because if not, they have no right to moan about how those particular Eastern Europeans are 'stealing' jobs from British people, when most British people would look at a job like that and think it was beneath them.
  • Options
    I think it would be a good idea for BNP supporters to lose their victim complex, realise that the job market is really competitive at the moment and that hey, life is hard.

The problem isn't race and it isn't immigration, which the BNP usually blame (oh yeah, them 'aids monkey' gays too), it's a multitude of issues which, if their research was serious and not racist propaganda, would come to light.

The impression that I often get from the BNP and supporters I have met is that they do feel threatened and saddest of all is that a lot of people feel helpless and ignored by the government at the moment and BNP prey on this.

I think really, that the party can be seen as quite predatory, run by nasty people who have a chip on their shoulder and a sense of entitlement and targetting people who may not be as educated, or who may be vulnerable.

I f*ckin' hate politics.
  • Options
    And a lot of England is Irish.[/COLOR]

And a lot came over to escape the potato famine. That sounds like being an economic migrant. But the Irish are OK.

The Doctors that come here from India and Africa, on the otherhand, bringing needed skills - they should go "home".

Tell me again how it's nothing to do with skin colour.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    The problem isn't race and it isn't immigration
    Yes it is! We cannot absorb millions of people when we are only a small island with limited resources!

The UK population is now 62 million yet we are one of the smalled countries in the world in terms of area.

I say no more immigrants! At least until the UK population has fallen by a few million.
  • Options
    Yes it is! We cannot absorb millions of people when we are only a small island with limited resources!

The UK population is now 62 million yet we are one of the smalled countries in the world in terms of area.

I say no more immigrants! At least until the UK population has fallen by a few million.

Maybe we should do swaps? We can take in economic migrants who want to work hard and pay their taxes, and then deport all the workshy layabouts who sit at home draining resources, popping out kids and never putting a penny back into the system?
  • Options

We've been absorbing millions of people for centuries. And none of the immigration figures and calculations seem to be counting emigrants. In 1999, the net population increase due to immigration was 181,500.

A total of 331,800 non-British people entered the UK in 1999. The same year, a total of 268,500 people emigrated, including 141,099 non-British people. But nobody talks about that side of things. Everybody talks about the UK getting 'full' - it's rubbish. We're not 'full', we're not a bus with a certain number of seats. People enter the country all the time, people leave it all the time.
  • Options
    Maybe we should do swaps? We can take in economic migrants who want to work hard and pay their taxes, and then deport all the workshy layabouts who sit at home draining resources, popping out kids and never putting a penny back into the system?
    *applauds*