Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Bnp.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    As I've already said, the people who vote for the BNP often live in a different world to those who are anti-facists. I don't think dismissing them as "thick" is fair, accurate or a good way to get your point across.
  • Options
    I didn't read the thread, and I don't want to partake in the discussion, but I was asked by someone to post this.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/staffordshire/8683276.stm

/e: on behalf of B-A.
  • Options
    As I've already said, the people who vote for the BNP often live in a different world to those who are anti-facists. I don't think dismissing them as "thick" is fair, accurate or a good way to get your point across.

Well, they are. I'm sorry but they are. The BNP is a racist, fascist, bigoted, prejudiced, abominable party. You do not vote for them, even as a protest. Anyone who does and is not a racist then, by default, has to be thick.

There are no two ways about it.
  • Options
    Until recently they didn't allow non-white people to join. Is that not evidence enough?
  • Options
    http://www.ryeandbattleobserver.co.uk/newsrbo/BNP-slammed-for-selling-Golliwog.4763513.jp
    BNP wrote:
    XMas Party reportThe British National Party have sparked a new row by advertising Golliwog dolls for sale at its Christmas party.
    A flyer sent out by the party this week advertising a Christmas quiz and social evening set to take place at Ore Community Centre in Old London Road on Monday night

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread105321/pg1
    A number of stunned BNP members had to leave their own Christmas party because someone accidentally hired a black DJ. Apparantly there was a bit of confusion when the member who hired him believed he "sounded white" over the phone, and the remaining party members had to refrain from their usual hateful speeches so not to offend the DJ.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Well, they are. I'm sorry but they are. The BNP is a racist, fascist, bigoted, prejudiced, abominable party. You do not vote for them, even as a protest. Anyone who does and is not a racist then, by default, has to be thick.

There are no two ways about it.

There are multiple "ways" about everything. We live in a complex, democratic society that is part of and contains many other communities and its envitable that there will be disagreements over how all this is dealt with.
    The general agreement among this society seems to be that democracy and free speech are needed to enable people to put their opinions across, which they are entitled to do. The idea behind democracy is that you vote for whoever you want to vote for, not who Aladdin wants you to vote for. There are some people, young, working class, white men possibly, who might be better off, at least short term, if the BNP were elected, so they have the right to vote for them. There are others that would be worse off under the BNP who still voting for them without really knowing what they're doing, just as there are people who vote for labour and the conservatives even though they'd be worse off if they got elected, because they haven't bothered to find out about their policies. That's inevitable in a democracy.
    I'm going to say this again, though. BNP voters are not "thick". They have different priorities to you, because they are different people with different lifestyles and different problems. They vote for the party that they believe is best for them, even though they know its not best for others. Everybody does that. People who vote for the conservatives, for example, are probably aware that they're putting/keeping children in poverty, but they are doing what's right for them.
    The conservatives are selfish and narrow minded and have no clue about the real world because they've never lived in it, or even talked to anyone who has. Their voters, however, are seen as normal people who have more money than others. The whole of the British government are arrogant, self-absorbed idiots who never learned to listen or share, so if people are to be judged as the same as those they vote for, we might as well all vote for the BNP because there's no hope for the country anyway.
  • Options
    BNP voters are racist and/or thick.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Seconded. Anyone who says otherwise is seriously deluded.
  • Options
    I'm not sure if they're all thick or racist or whether it's more complex than that, though I suspect the latter. All I know is that asking someone like Aladdin and several others on here for a balanced and reasoned assessment of it is like trying to nail diarrhoea to a wall. Remember that bigots sit on both sides of the fence.
  • Options
    I know a lot of BNP voters and none of them are "thick". They vote for the party that best represents what they believe. They believe that there should be enough houses, jobs and funding for things like education and social services for those who need it. Nobody is offering that. So they believe that the people who already need it should be priority. Nobody is offering that. So they want to make sure that they'll get what they need. The BNP promise that. Voting for them for that reason is more selfish than thick.
    I am probably thick, because I find those who are intolerant towards the intolerant difficult to understand. Making people seem inferior because you don't agree with their opinions is not democratic or a very effective way of dealing with anything.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »

or intellectually lazy or ignorant.

Whichever, it pains me they're allowed to vote - so I'm happy they're wasting them.
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote: »
    or intellectually lazy or ignorant.

Whichever, it pains me they're allowed to vote - so I'm happy they're wasting them.

Nice bit of hasty editing to make the above look slightly less intolerant... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I know a lot of BNP voters and none of them are "thick".

They are.
  • Options
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    The BNP tap into people's frustrations, I've heard that quoted before and it's true. People are starting to feel hatred over ethincs, even those who are British. But the BNP says you can't be British unless you're white. That's racist.

The BNP are going about what they believe in the wrong way.

They ARE going about it in the wrong way.
    I don't want to feel hatred over ethnics, just hate the way the system is!
  • Options
    lyric wrote: »

So why the support of the BNP then?
  • Options
    ha at ethnics.

reminds me of a teacher at my primary school. when my mum asked if i could have more up to date reading books with more variation rather than the ole 'jane helps mummy in the kichen' whilst 'john helps daddy in the garage'.

the teacher said 'we dont have many ethnics in this school'
  • Options

/thread
  • Options
    I am probably thick, because I find those who are intolerant towards the intolerant difficult to understand. Making people seem inferior because you don't agree with their opinions is not democratic or a very effective way of dealing with anything.
    Intolerance towards the intolerant, now that's a good one! Those poor, mistreated intolerants. I guess that makes me an intolerist? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Nice bit of hasty editing to make the above look slightly less intolerant... :rolleyes:

Editing for clarity, but perhaps not enough - I said it pains me to emphasise the emotional conflict that occurs between the instinctive arrogant elitism (which could lead to the best possible governance) and the rational democracy (which ensures we avoid the worst possible governance)

I believe in the principle of universal emancipation, I just whih people would be a bit more responsable when they exercise the right.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    Because most of the time, they can't do what THEY want in their countries either.

So why should they come here and do what they want? They break the law over here too. Ofc, British people break the law, but our prisons are full of immigrants and if they are cheeky enough to come over here and start breaking laws, then why do we entertain them?
  • Options
    I know a lot of BNP voters and none of them are "thick". They vote for the party that best represents what they believe. They believe that there should be enough houses, jobs and funding for things like education and social services for those who need it. Nobody is offering that.
    Nobody is offering that??? Please.. If they really believe that, then they really are a sandwich short of a picnic.
    So they want to make sure that they'll get what they need. The BNP promise that. Voting for them for that reason is more selfish than thick.
    Only they should be intelligent enough to realise that it's all smokes and mirrors and empty soundbytes.

Everybody can play the game. I promise you that if I am elected to power I will ensure those in need receive it; that British farmers are supported; that our manufacturing should be restored to its former glory; that there should be law and order on the streets; that more jobs are created for everyone. See? I'm offering more than any other party in the UK today. You can tell your friends to vote for me.

Notwithstanding the issue of how exactly would the BNP pay for all of that without bankrupting the country (making promises is very easy), anyone who is not naive to the point of idiocy can see that the BNP really is a one-issue party. All their pretty promises and nice soundbytes are just window dressing; they don't have any expectations that they'd ever be able to keep their promises and no clue how to attempt to implement them. All they really care about is their racist agenda. And if your BNP-voting acquaintances don't see this, then I am sorry but they are not terribly bright people.
  • Options

So why should they come here and do what they want? They break the law over here too. Ofc, British people break the law, but our prisons are full of immigrants and if they are cheeky enough to come over here and start breaking laws, then why do we entertain them?

ffs. They Don't. Yes, some immigrants commit crime, the same way that some British people commit crime when they go abroad, but as I said before, if you'd bothered to read my post, very FEW migrants get involved in crime. And the last time I checked, an immigrant who recieved a prison sentence is usually deported when they've served their time anyway. So where exactly are we entertaining them......?:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Please show me evidence of how our prisons are full of immigrants?

All it comes down to is that the media disproportionally report on immigrant crime in some cases.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Nobody is offering that??? Please.. If they really believe that, then they really are a sandwich short of a picnic.

Who is offering that? Which of the political parties intends to make sure some of the money made from immigration is put back into the areas that immigrants take money from?
    You say people should use their brains to work out what the BNP really stand for and what would happen if their policies were implemented, but who uses their brains when it comes to immigration? During the debates Gordon Brown made a point of saying he doesn't like careworkers coming from outside the EU. We have a shortage of care workers, and it means that thousands of people are unable to leave their homes because they're caring for relatives because the state refuses to help. The reason for this is to keep immigration statistics down, because we live in xenophobic country and elect xenophobic politicians.
    The conservative policy is to limit non-EU immigrants. I know that's very popular with those who are seen as successful and intelligent and therefore vote for the conservatives, because they don't like immigrants. Their reason for not liking immigrants is that they weren't born here. It's nothing to do with their impact on particular parts of the country for the main parties, it's the fact that they exist. Every BNP voter I know discusses practical concerns when they talk about immigration, while almost everyone I know who votes for labour or the conservatives just talks about how there's too many of them.
    The people I know who vote for the BNP know exactly what they're voting for. The BNP don't have any real policies, and of course they'll never get elected. It's more about making a statement than anything else, it's a way for the to get their views across. In the last few years it seems like votes that shock are the only votes worth anything anyway. If the BNP did get elected, they'd abandon their racism pretty quickly, their polices as they stand are not sustainable and everyone knows it.
    The point of democracy is that you vote for the party that you believe best respresents you, and for those who believe British people should be put first, the BNP is probably a sensible choice. I would love it if everyone would think about the impact on others as well as themselves before they vote, but that's not going to happen.
    Lyric, I'm sure there are too many immigrants in British prisons, because 1 would be too many. There are criminals and horrible, selfish people in every society and the only thing the individual can do about it is not reduce themselves to that level. A lot of people, Brits and immigrants, benefit from the immigration system we have. There are a lot of problems with it, but they're with the system and not individuals. Are you really prepared to punish someone for what the system has allowed another person to do?
  • Options
    Who is offering that? Which of the political parties intends to make sure some of the money made from immigration is put back into the areas that immigrants take money from?
    That's not what you said on your previous post is it?

In any case, wtf does that even supposed to mean? Money made from immigration put back into the areas immgrants "take money from"?

It doesn't make any sense, and of course it's nothing but racist bullshit.

So I'm sorry, but if your BNP voting friends believe any of that, then the accusation of thickness is well founded.

You say people should use their brains to work out what the BNP really stand for and what would happen if their policies were implemented, but who uses their brains when it comes to immigration? During the debates Gordon Brown made a point of saying he doesn't like careworkers coming from outside the EU. We have a shortage of care workers, and it means that thousands of people are unable to leave their homes because they're caring for relatives because the state refuses to help. The reason for this is to keep immigration statistics down, because we live in xenophobic country and elect xenophobic politicians.
    The conservative policy is to limit non-EU immigrants. I know that's very popular with those who are seen as successful and intelligent and therefore vote for the conservatives, because they don't like immigrants. Their reason for not liking immigrants is that they weren't born here. It's nothing to do with their impact on particular parts of the country for the main parties, it's the fact that they exist. Every BNP voter I know discusses practical concerns when they talk about immigration, while almost everyone I know who votes for labour or the conservatives just talks about how there's too many of them.
    Do those BNP voting friends of yours tell you (or are they even aware) of the reasons why the BNP wants them out? Do they agree with the BNP that those who are not white are not British even if they were born here? Do they also share the belief that all those darkies and yellows should be "encouraged" to leave?

Please!

For fuck's sake... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    People live in houses. Children go to school. Ill people need treatment. Those who are unable to speak english need someone to translate for them. That means the person translating cannot do what they originally went to work to do. In a school, it means the teaching assistant will work with the children who cannot speak English, while the children having problems, who the assistant is paid to help, sits at their desk staring at the wall. The immigrant's parents are working and contributing to the economy so their child is entitled to an education. More funding should be given to the schools where this happens. It isn't. A political party should promise that's while they'll do if they get elected. They don't. A political party has promised to get rid of immigrants. That's close enough, it means the kid being refused help will get help.
    Do many of the married people who voted for the conservatives because of their promised tax cut believe that the divorce rate is too high, or do they want to save some money? Most people don't agree with the reasons for the policies they like. It's all about how it will effect you practically, not the ideology.
    The BNP voters I know don't care about ethnic minorities as a group. They care about individuals, who may of may not be the same ethnicity as them, but in general I don't think they're too upset by the idea of 'encouraging' certain people to leave, because it hasn't happened and it's difficult to see how it ever could. They certanly don't hate them, or have a real desire for them to leave, but they feel they should put themselves first.
  • Options
    People live in houses. Children go to school. Ill people need treatment. Those who are unable to speak english need someone to translate for them. That means the person translating cannot do what they originally went to work to do.
    Er, unless their job description is translation services.
    In a school, it means the teaching assistant will work with the children who cannot speak English, while the children having problems, who the assistant is paid to help, sits at their desk staring at the wall.
    I'd suggest that's a fancy scenario put together by the BNP- and complete garbage.

The BNP voters I know don't care about ethnic minorities as a group. They care about individuals, who may of may not be the same ethnicity as them, but in general I don't think they're too upset by the idea of 'encouraging' certain people to leave, because it hasn't happened and it's difficult to see how it ever could. They certanly don't hate them, or have a real desire for them to leave, but they feel they should put themselves first.
    The fact that they believe they're second-class citizens is an indication of how clueless they are. That's nothing but malicious bullshit peddled by the BNP.
  • Options
    I know I probably sound like I vote for the BNP but I don't, never have and never would. I have read their propaganda and know that's exactly what it is. When I provide examples, such as the one I've just given about children who can't speak English, it's because I've seen it for myself. My mother was a teaching assistant, and she used to keep me off school one or two days a week so I could go into work with her and do her job while she worked with the child from Iraq. The children my mother was supposed to work with therefore had their education provided by a 13 year old, so they were second class citizens.
    I hope this was a one off, and really believe it could be, but it should never have happened and I don't think the parents of those kids should be judged for wanting their children to have what they're entitled to. I don't think the child from Iraq deserved less than their children, but it was the school, council or government that was at fault, depending on how often this happens.
    That child, by the way, had 6 siblings and his family was given the only four bedroomed house in the area when they'd been here two months. There was a family of 8 across the road from me who'd been waiting for bigger house for three years. They were never going to be able afford anything other than a council property so their hope for a bigger house vanished overnight.
    At that point, the BNP were not part of the picture, so can you just put yourself in their place and understand that they felt resentful? I felt resentful towards the government for not building more council houses when they knew they were needed, but it's easier to resent the people you can see, isn't it?
    I'll admit, although I've never supported the BNP, a lot of my past opinions sounded like their propaganda. I was anti-immigration when I was younger, if I'm honest it was more to do with the fact that it provided a simple answer to the countries problems than anything else, but I was 13 and completely irrational. I was fortunate enough to know people who accepted but challenged my opinions, wanting to know my sources, or how my "facts" fitted into the context of wider society, so I gradually changed my mind about almost everything. I just got tired of hating people, and I'll assume everyone has good intentions until I'm proven wrong.
    I think "intellectually lazy" is a good term for most of the BNP voters I know, and it definately described me during my xenophobic phase, but it's not the same as "thick". They can think about the wider conesquences of their vote, but they often don't. I don't think that's exclusive to BNP voters.
  • Options

I think you misunderstood what I said.

A lot of immigrants come from countries where they have very few personal freedoms. Things which you take for granted here can be illegal there and punishable by a lot more than just sitting in prison for a few years.

And really? The immigrants I see in my home town work harder and behave better than most of the locals.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    ffs. They Don't. Yes, some immigrants commit crime, the same way that some British people commit crime when they go abroad, but as I said before, if you'd bothered to read my post, very FEW migrants get involved in crime.

If you were to look at the prison population of Wormwood Scrubs, you would find a majority of non-UK born inmates. I spent some time working with the prison nurses there, and a staggering percentage of the prison population have English as their second language. Wormwood Scrubs may not be an "average" prison though, as it receives inmates direct from their trials in London courts - and there are bound to be more foreign nationals coming through the courts in London. (Most inmates spend only a few years at the Scrubs before being transferred elsewhere.)

I must emphasise that saying that the majority of prisoners are immigrants does not mean that I believe that the majority of immigrants are criminals. Quite the contrary, and I have no time for the racist bigotry of the BNP. But it is a fact that there are an awful lot of foreigners in our prisons.