Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

social services

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Who said she might go up for adoption?

I would think you would still have rights. How much contact did you have with her before this happened?
  • Options
    my dad (he's not the father of my little sister, my mum has remarried) mentionned that it might happen. it is looking very unlikely she'll be returned because of things that have happened over the weekend. fostering is only a temporary thing isn't it?

i live away from home so i don't have loaddddsss of contact but i see her as much as i can (i try to see her at least every couple of weeks). my brothers live 3 miles away from her with my dad so see her at least once a week.

i'm just terrified of losing her. even though i know deep down she'd be better off with another family (rather than my crappy mum and step-dad), the thought of losing her is unbearable. but thats being selfish. i've got to think of her future. she's only five years old. she's got her whole life ahead of her and she deserves a nice one.

mehhhh. everything is such a mess. why can't my family be normal and happy like most i don't know. theres always got to be drama. its like something off jeremy kyle most of the time :grump:
  • Options
    fostering can be long term
  • Options
    ahhh, i see.

well, i suppose i'll just have to see what happens. just hope that wherever she ends up, i'll be allowed to still have contact. it would be horrible to stop that contact. she loves her big sister and her big brothers :( its bad enough she can't see her parents but the rest of her family too who have done nothing wrong? thats not fair at all on her or us.

suppose thats just how it is though :( such a mess.
  • Options
    At five years old, and her contact with you and brothers already regular and established, I really can't imagine you loosing contact. Keep in touch with the social worker for updates and insist on seeing her as soon as possible, and with the same regularity as you always have. Be consistant.

And I know it's easy to say but, try not to worry. From the outside it seems like you are imagining the owrst situation, which is only natural but try to keep a hold of that idea -the bad things you are imagining are wost case scenarios and that things might actually, and probably wil, turn out ok.
  • Options
    I looked into adopting children a couple of years ago and nearly all of them had brothers/sisters and other family members who they needed to keep in contact with so its highly likely that you will get access to her if she is adopted.

Also make sure you talk to your man about everything which is going on with her and how you are feeling as you need his support .
  • Options
    i hope you are both right, i really do because the thought of never seeing her again really upsets me. she needs her brothers & sister. we all love her to pieces and she needs to know that we do. i'm going to ring the social worker tomorrow to try and see what the situation is, to find out how she is and to try and arrange a visit. fingers crossed. its just all so shit. poor little kid. she doesn't deserve any of this. she's such a lovely little girl. i just hope all this doesn't change her and she doesn't end up with issues or something when she's older. that actually scares me more than anything.
  • Options
    I'm not an expert, but most kinds end up with issues and if the situation at home was bad enough for her to be taken into care I don't this would make it much worse. At five years old I lived for the next hour and based my expecations on the previous one, kids adapt really quickly.I don't think she would have heard the horror stories that you have, so it's just something she'll get used to. I think it's really important that she can express her feelings though, at least to you if there's no one else. From what I've heard it's the way these things are dealt with, not whether or not they happen, that determines the impact on the child.
  • Options
    well, today i finally managed to speak to her. i totally didn't expect it. i just answered my phone whilst out and about.

she seems to be doing ok. she's actually living with another little girl who is only a year older than her. apparently they are getting on like a house on fire and haven't have one squabble yet :) apparently she's dealing with everything rather well, "eating like a horse", sleeping well and teachers have said she is still performing well/behaving well at school.

she sounded happy enough on the phone so i feel a bit better about everything now knowing she's alright. the lady who is looking after her sounds lovely but i made such a dick of myself on the phone. i totally didn't expect the phone call at all so when she rang, i was a bit of a skatter brain and said loads of daft stuff which is really bugging me now! i'm just hoping she doesn't think badly of me incase she ends up looking after her for a while.

i'm hoping to arrange a visit to see her next saturday. i've got to get authorisation from the social worker though who will get in touch with the foster carer who will then get in touch with me. sigh. i'm having to go through a load of strangers to just talk/see my sister. pile of poo really. still, at least i've spoken to her now though and i know she's ok. she sounded happy enough...she was moaning she couldn't get past a certain level on her sponge bob game on her ds, ha.

i've been in touch with her social worker alot this week...she has so many questions about everything.

i just hope things are sorted out soon and she'll be back home where she belongs.
  • Options
    That all sounds good.
  • Options
    Wow, your poor sister...i can't imagine any of this is easy on her, but she seems to be a tough little one.

However, i recommend you re-think taking her in. I took in my then 13 year old sister for most of the year while my parents were based in England with my dads job. I'm not going to lie to you, it was VERY difficult but i wouldn't change that decision i made to help my parents out. I was newly married (straight back off our honeymoon) and i can honestly say that she never really put a strain on our relationship. At the time i was working full-time, as was my husband but we made it work. Obviously i can appreciate your situation is different, but given the circumstances i am sure your boss will be more than accomodating. Also i am sure social services/her school will also be able to help out with after-school programs and other ways to make everything run smoothly.

Good luck and keep us updated
  • Options
    meh. its been six weeks since she's been in care now.

i'm still trying to arrange a visit for me and my brothers. its not happening though. apparently she's really tired because she's having two visits from her mum a week and two visits from her dad. as much as i understand that, its frustrating because my mum keeps cancelling her visits. me and my brothers actually really want to see her.

i also feel really bad. the social worker has just asked me if i am willing to quit my job in exchange for financial support to look after her. i've had to say no because my boyfriend does want to look after a kid (which i can understand) but not only that, i'm the only one with a secure-ish (for now) job so it would be silly for me to quit.

i just feel so guilty. i'm not ready to look after a kid and i enjoy having a job. i want a career. i could never just sit at home and look after a kid. that isn't me. it would make me miserable. i get so easily stressed and i just don't think i'd be good at bringing her up. i'm not making excuses, i do just honestly think she'd be better off being brought up by someone who actually knows how to bring up children. i'm not a parent. i have no idea. the guilt i feel is so overwhelming. the social worker really guilt tripped me on the phone and made me feel like a bitch.
  • Options
    You could also point out that if you don't get the opportunity to see her then you're not going to have any idea whether you could potentially make those kind of decisions. May be worth considering playing them at their own game slightly, if they want you to think about looking after her then they can arrange for you to see her as a starting point.
  • Options
    The social worker will probably keep trying to make you feel guilty, because it would obviously be better for your sister if she lives with someone she knows. I'm not trying to make you feel worse, and hopefully someone with more knowledge of the system will tell me I'm completely wrong and should never respond to this thread again, but based on what I do know, when someone is in the system it's the system that's responsible. If your sister stays in care things like visits will be difficult, and I don't think siblings have the rights that parents do. From what you said a few weeks ago, your sister's coping well so there's no need for you to feel guilty. Her happiness is more important than a social worker's opinion.
    I think you need to think about which would be easier to deal with, losing regulalr contact with your sister or looking after her yourself. I'm saying this because you've been put in an impossible situation and it's possible that in 10 years you might find your decision difficult to deal with.
  • Options
    the thing is, my boyfriend has said he doesn't want my sister living here. its his house too. he isn't ready to be looking after a child. he's not being horrible, he's just being honest. so yeah, the decision has been made for me really...i'd have to split up with him and move out to take on my sister and thats on top of quitting my job...

its just not possible.

i just hope we get to visit her soon. by the sounds of it, its not looking as though my sister will return home :(
  • Options
    The first thing I want to draw attention to is the fact that you have not given up.

The second is that you havnt gone to pieces completely.

A lot of people I know, faced with the issues you have, both wouldnt know what to do, and would fall apart totally. You have made it clear you have your sisters best interests at heart (within the realms of possibility), and you should stick at it.

Stay strong and keep working it, you will get through.
  • Options
    thank you MrG :)
  • Options
    thank you MrG :)

See people, I can be nice :)
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    See people, I can be nice :)

Good man
  • Options
    i think its a shame for your sister
  • Options
    To be honest, I think your boyfriend is being horrible. I understand that he doesn't want to look after a child but it's not like you just picked one off the street just to be annoying. These things happen and unless you're both part of that silver ring organisation it is a possibility that you might have a child before you're ready. Obviously you know more about your relationship than I do, but if I was in your situation I'd be questioning some stuff. If you feel that you'd regret not taking your sister, and to be honest there doesn't seem to be a reason why you should, don't let your boyfriend influence the decision. You know she'll still be your sister in 10 years, he could be long gone by then. I'm really not trying to be horrible, I just think that it's inevitable to make decisions based on the people who are important to you, even if they might not be in your life when you deal with the consequences.
    It sounds like your sister is doing well, so I don't think you need to feel guilty. I think it costs less to keep children with family so maybe that's why your social worker is trying to get you to take her. You know your sister so you know what's in her best intersts, so don't let anyone pressure you.
  • Options

because of me or because of the whole situation? do you think im being a bitch? :(

naturegoddess - my boyfriend isn't being horrible at all, he's just being honest with me. if i took on my sister, it is inevitable that he would have to look after her as well. his whole life would change. he wouldn't be able to do all the things he can do now. he's still really young and i don't think its fair to call him horrible for being honest with me about it. he'd suddenly have lots of responsibility that he's not ready for and i know for a fact it would make him unhappy. i don't want to be responsible for that. to be fair, i'm not ready to look after a child either. if i had to quit work, i'd be miserable. i really would. plus, i don't even know how to look after a kid. i'm tired out looking after her for a day! i don't think i'd be good at bringing her up.

there is also the fact that if i did take my sister on, my mum and step dad would find out where i live, i'd have to give them my phone number, etc. i have cut all contact with them because i hate them and they upset me far too much. my mum is CRAZY. if she found out where i lived, she would probably come around and smash my house up (she's smashed up many houses in her time). she would definately cause some sort of trouble. i want her out of my life.

everyone seems to be making me feel really guilty :crying: :crying: :crying: i'm in an impossible situation here. to take her on, i'd have to give up my relationship, home, career and well, my life really. does it make me a really horrible person that i don't want to do that?
  • Options
    Do NOT feel guilty.

There is absolutely no reason why you should have to sacrifice your relationship and your career to look after your sister when it's not your fault that she's in this position. Neither do I think your boyfriend is being unreasonable to say that he doesn't want the responsibility of basically becoming a father to a child who isn't his child, and transforming his entire life.

I don't think you're being selfish, and I don't think you should feel guilty. You're doing everything you can, and you're being very brave too. I'm very impressed at how well you're dealing with it, it might be a nightmare time for you. Hang on in there, and don't be pushed into doing anything that doesn't feel right for you.

*hug*
  • Options

me too. everybody is different but if it was my little sister that was being taken into care i would take her without a doubt, i wouldnt even think about it. i know that you would have to give a lot up for it but its your sister!

im not trying to make you feel bad, honestly i know it must be such a hard position to be in. because like i said everybody is different im pretty good with children and think id be able to look after a child. its a shit situation because if you did take her you'd have to pretty much give up your lives which isnt fair when you and your boyfriend are only really getting things started, things like going on holiday would go out the window. but the thing is it isnt your fault this has happened but its not your sisters either. if your boyfriend had a sister and she was put in care and he wanted her to come and live with you, would you say no way i dont want her living here? i dont think you would!

i think if i knew that my sister would go into a lovely family and stay there permanently then i might be happy to let somebody else take her but i dont think social services can really guarantee that can they, because shes not up for adoption, just fostering, i know they do long term foster care but meh i dunno. you always hear about kids being passed round family to family, but i dont know if that really happens.

i really feel for you :(
  • Options
    Don't feel guilty. I know its impossible not to, but at least try not to let social services use guilt as a weapon against you.

Social workers are hugely overloaded, and from their point of view by far the easiest solution to your sisters care would be for you to look after her.

That isn't necessarily the best thing however for you or your sister, it just happens to be the simplest from the systems perspective.

I respect your boyfriend for being honest with you. It may not be the most generous and accepting answer he could have given but at least he's being honest. The best thing you can do for your sister is support her the very best you can. Now that might be by taking her on, giving up your entire life and rapidly learning how to look after a 6 yr old child. Or it might not be.

To be the best person you can be for your sister you need to be reasonably well and happy in yourself. You love your new job, anyone who's been around a while can tell that and you seem to be so much happier now than you have been in the past. At this point in time giving up work and taking your sister in may well not be good for you, and if you end up in a crumbled heap you'll be back to square one as will your sister.

You've obviously put a lot of thought into it, and if you don't think you can manage it then don't feel you have to. You can be a lot of support to your sister by being a sensible, responsible adult in her life who can fight her corner with the care system. You can offer her a lot of love and stability without being her carer - don't forget that.

Push social services so that you can get to see her, resort to guilt tripping and manipulating them in needs be, like I said earlier, if they want you to look after her then the first thing they should be doing is arranging for you to visit her. I'm sure once you've seen her you'll be able to relax a little more. Young children as a general rule are reasonably ok in care, things get less great when they're teenagers but years down the line if she's still in care you can think again.

xxx
  • Options
    the thing is, my boyfriend has said he doesn't want my sister living here. its his house too. he isn't ready to be looking after a child. he's not being horrible, he's just being honest. so yeah, the decision has been made for me really...

Would you take her if he said he was ok with it? Forget that you're not at a good time in your life, or you don't feel ready. No one ever feels ready for kids and they generally end up doing a good job. Deep down, do you want to raise your sister?

I don't think there's any shame in saying no, as long as it's truly YOUR decision.
  • Options
    Don't feel guilty. I know its impossible not to, but at least try not to let social services use guilt as a weapon against you.

Social workers are hugely overloaded, and from their point of view by far the easiest solution to your sisters care would be for you to look after her.

That isn't necessarily the best thing however for you or your sister, it just happens to be the simplest from the systems perspective.

I respect your boyfriend for being honest with you. It may not be the most generous and accepting answer he could have given but at least he's being honest. The best thing you can do for your sister is support her the very best you can. Now that might be by taking her on, giving up your entire life and rapidly learning how to look after a 6 yr old child. Or it might not be.

To be the best person you can be for your sister you need to be reasonably well and happy in yourself. You love your new job, anyone who's been around a while can tell that and you seem to be so much happier now than you have been in the past. At this point in time giving up work and taking your sister in may well not be good for you, and if you end up in a crumbled heap you'll be back to square one as will your sister.

You've obviously put a lot of thought into it, and if you don't think you can manage it then don't feel you have to. You can be a lot of support to your sister by being a sensible, responsible adult in her life who can fight her corner with the care system. You can offer her a lot of love and stability without being her carer - don't forget that.

Push social services so that you can get to see her, resort to guilt tripping and manipulating them in needs be, like I said earlier, if they want you to look after her then the first thing they should be doing is arranging for you to visit her. I'm sure once you've seen her you'll be able to relax a little more. Young children as a general rule are reasonably ok in care, things get less great when they're teenagers but years down the line if she's still in care you can think again.

xxx

Great post. I agree with every word.

Remember that from the perspective of social services, they want it dealt with as quickly and easily as possible, and they aren't concerned with whether it is best for you to take on your sister. But you have your own life to lead too, and you're entitled to be happy, and besides, as Scary Monster points out, if you end up losing your job and your relationship in order to take her on, it won't be good for her, either. You're both of you (you and your sister) better off if you are happy and stable and able to provide her whatever support you can. If you're pushed to take on too much and end up making life altering sacrifices to look after her, it may not be in either of your interests.

Don't be made to feel like a bad person for believing that you have a right to lead your own life.
  • Options
    I just really cant understand your viewpoint - as naturegoddess said, its not like shes some random kid off the street. Its your sister. I think youve got more of a responsibility here than youre taking on.
    I dont think it would be as hard as you are thinking. Shes not a baby. Shell be at school all day. You wouldnt even have to give up your job.
    Yeah it wouldnt be as easy a life as youve got now, but I just really struggle to see what would stop you.
    I couldnt see any of my family or friends kids go through the care system personally, especially when youve already said you want kids in the next few years, and your boyfriend wants them too.
  • Options
    i would have to quit my job scc. i'm out of the house for around 12 hours a day.. my shifts are often changed (sometimes the day before. nature of the job!) and sometimes i end up leaving work hours late. my earliest shift starts at 7am and my latest ends at midnight. you can't change your hours. i've actually asked about it at work. loads of people have kids at work but they have to do the same hours everyone else does and put them in nursery.

i want children when i'm 28-30. thats at least 4 years away.
  • Options
    you could use a childminder?