Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Bleeding after sex - cervical erosion?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've posted about this before, but it was ages ago..

I've been having sex with my boyfriend for nearly two years now, and every now and again - although more frequently just lately - I keep bleeding after sex. Sometimes it starts minutes after, but it could be hours or even sometimes days. It's never heavy but often accompanied by period pain like cramps that you would expect to get with heavy periods.

I've got a doctors appointment on the 11th Oct for something else so I'll mention it then, but in the meantime, I just thought I'd ask if anyone else had spoken to a doctor about it and what the doctor said / did.

I'm sure I've read in magazines that it can be caused by "cervical erosion" so I looked that up on NHS Direct's website but it didn't say a lot about it. Just that it was harmless. But how do they test for that and how to they know the difference between that and anything more serious? Or is cervical erosion just the thing they blame it on if they don't find anything more sinister?

Have to admit, I've never had a check up at the GUM clinic. Never thought I'd put myself at risk but I know it could be clamydia too so I guess I ought to be tested.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's worth getting tested, other than that not really got any ideas, sorry!
    I'd talk to your doctor about it, regular bleeding after sex is definitely not healthy or right, and it needs checking. Especially if you're getting cramps along with the bleeding.

I wouldn't take too much notice of magazine diagnostics, as they're generally not very accurate or helpful.
    another thing that causes it is polyps on the cervix- think these are harmless too, but they do remove them. There are other STDs that cause bleeding after sex, think HPV might be one of them, or warts, or OK I don't know. Do get it checked though, better to know and deal with whatever it is than to worry about it...
    These might not be reassuring links but are what I found in google:
    http://womenshealth.about.com/cs/menstruation/a/bleedaftersex.htm
    and
    http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/40024658/
    Thanks for those links :)

I'll ask my doctor about it when I go in a few weeks. I don't think it'll be anything too serious - probably just too "energetic" - but I'll get checked out if he tells me to.

I'll call the GUM and find out what their waiting lists are like too. I did try to go about 18 months ago - the waiting lists were about six weeks long!