Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

50/50.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    lyric wrote: »
    But I don't feel pregnant at all.. Maybe I just didn't ovulated and missed a period.

And maybe pigs might fly.....

GO TO THE DOCTORS NOW!!!!!!!

And whilst you are waiting for the appointment do a few more tests, it'd be a very good idea....

:banghead: :crazyeyes :shocking:
  • Options
    You know it really isn't hard to get a test, I reckon Lyric likes all this attention.
    Even I have had a pregnancy test for gods sake! It's not difficult.
  • Options
    yeah, maybe we should just stop replying to this post. we have told her enough times to go to the doctors.... it's not like the advice is lacking.
  • Options
    You know it really isn't hard to get a test, I reckon Lyric likes all this attention.
    Even I have had a pregnancy test for gods sake! It's not difficult.

See I wanted to say that but last time I did I got warned so I decided to keep my mouth shut.
  • Options
    Will do :)
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    yeah, maybe we should just stop replying to this post. we have told her enough times to go to the doctors.... it's not like the advice is lacking.

Now, it seems that lyric is going to the doctors, which is great, but - after this thread it makes me want to remove the following icon - :banghead:

Pretty much everyone has been banging on about "Oh just do it - it's easy" but there's plenty of reasons for why lyric could have been frightened about it.

If you've found it easy or have just found the courage without any trouble then how about explaining to other users who might be struggling why it's not such a big deal to take these steps? Often someone finds out what to do early on and so repeating it a hundred times often isn't helping - it's about telling someone why they won't find it as daunting as they think...that purplehazed, is where the advice is lacking! :)
  • Options
    Ah... thanks.

When someone is repeatedly ignoring or avoiding the advice, we need to look at why they're doing that, not just reiterate it.

You're a smart lady, but I guess that's why you're the mod.
  • Options
    I agree with Helen...and Hellfire sometimes you are just a twat!

I'm not being funny but at 22 even I would be frightened to go to the Dr's for a pregnancy test! It takes a lot of courage and isn't the easiest thing to do especially if you don't want to be pregnanat and are only 17 years old!

Good on you for doing a test Lyric but go to the Dr's asap...just for your own peace of mind :)
  • Options
    piecesofme wrote: »

Funny how you singled me out there, all I did was use the :banghead: yet others commented, Funny that, isnt it?
  • Options
    you can get perfectly reliable cheap pregnancy tests from poundland, savers, wilkos etc
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    Funny how you singled me out there, all I did was use the :banghead: yet others commented, Funny that, isnt it?

Yeah, let's not make this personal.
  • Options
    **helen** wrote: »
    Yeah, let's not make this personal.

Sorry! but I didn't call someone a twat did I?
  • Options
    Sorry! but I didn't call someone a twat did I?

Hold your horses, I was agreeing with you - sorry I could have been a bit clearer :)
  • Options
    **helen** wrote: »
    Hold your horses, I was agreeing with you - sorry I could have been a bit clearer :)

Oh sorry my bad :blush:
  • Options
    piecesofme wrote: »

I'm not being funny but at 22 even I would be frightened to go to the Dr's for a pregnancy test! It takes a lot of courage and isn't the easiest thing to do especially if you don't want to be pregnanat and are only 17 years old!

Good on you for doing a test Lyric but go to the Dr's asap...just for your own peace of mind :)
    Yup, this.

It's frustrating that lyric seems to be ignoring what we're saying but honestly, it's a scary thought.
  • Options

Yes...but you seem to contiuously make replies like that to people...if people annoy you that much and you cba giving good advice then don't post!

But yeh if Lyric is annoying people then don't reply...simples!
  • Options
    I didnt join this site to argue with people. So I wont.

I understand why it may be frightening for Lyric to go to the doctors because she is young, but surely the thought of having the child would be more daunting than a little talk with a doctor and something given to help? Ive never been in that position myself but I know I'd rather go see the dotor. Each to their own I guess.

Everyone on here who has posted has tried to help. And I think its unfair how Hellfire has been picked out. I hold my hands up and apologise now for the use of the icon as well. Was merely conveying my opinion on this thread.
  • Options
    I understand why it may be frightening for Lyric to go to the doctors because she is young, but surely the thought of having the child would be more daunting than a little talk with a doctor and something given to help?

The fear of finding out that her fears or pregnancy are justified can been really daunting. There is nothing here to suggest that she doesn't realise that the GP is probably a good piece of advice.

Having said that, it actually isn't always the best advice where suspected pregnancy is concerned. Not really. The only thing which a GP can do over and above any other diagnostic is a manual check. They don't have access to any testing kit which is more accurate than the tests you get off the shelf. You will find that many GPs would ask if you have done a test and if it was positive. Usually that's enough for them.
  • Options
    Fight fight fight fight! :yippe:
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »
    There is nothing here to suggest that she doesn't realise that the GP is probably a good piece of advice.

Yet she insists on posting on here asking for advice when numerous people have suggested just going to the GP to finally eradicate her fears (once she gets there of course)
  • Options
    Yet she insists on posting on here asking for advice when numerous people have suggested just going to the GP to finally eradicate her fears (once she gets there of course)

It's what TheSite's here for to be honest. As we'll always say to anyone who gets huffy with someone for repeating their worries, you don't have to read or reply to things if you find yourself getting wound up by them.
  • Options

She's looking for alternative options. When you have anxiety about something you look to do anything but that...

Eventually she will realise that there really isn't that many alternatives. At some point the healt hservice will need to be involved in one way or another.

But as you may have noted from another thread the OP started, this is someone with confidence issues and so seeking reassurance before making a decision will be a key part of her approach to problems. Many of us here don't suffer from a lack of confidence and so find it hard to understand.

Put it this way, if you had to perform a life saving brain operation on your Mum would you just dive straight in or get plenty of advice first? Whilst that may seen an extreme comparison to you, in her mind this could well feel like the same magnitutde of problem to be addressed.
  • Options
    Yes I know thats what the site is for.

Ok, I said I didnt want to argue and I wont because I value the advice on here.

Believe it or believe it not, I do actually wish Lyric the best of luck if she decides to go to the doctors, which I hope she does.

I'm not one for confrontations so apologies to anyone I may have offended or annoyed. Its not in my nature.
  • Options
    To be fair, I wasn't actually having a go at you personally, I just used your quote as an example.

It's not easy to put yourself into another's shoes and try to see things from their perspective. It can be really frustrating, I know.
  • Options
    It's often really scary to take the actual step to find out something that's as big as pregnancy. In many ways I can understand lyric for not wanting to get an answer, it's an intimidating test to take and a whole lot of emotions are involved in the process.

I can't really see any use in getting pissed off with lyric, she'll find out what's true eventually whether she wants to or not. She probably knows that well enough.
  • Options
    I understand why it may be frightening for Lyric to go to the doctors because she is young, but surely the thought of having the child would be more daunting than a little talk with a doctor and something given to help? Ive never been in that position myself but I know I'd rather go see the dotor. Each to their own I guess.

Except right now, it's not a child, it's a possible one. As long as she puts it off she can pretend it's not happening. I do it all the time. It's why I weigh fourteen and a half stone right now. It's why I have no money. It's why my relationship is currently teetering on a very high cliff.

She knows what she SHOULD do, but doing that means accepting that there is a very real possibility that she is pregnant. That's scary at 17 or 18 or whatever age she is.

I'm the first one to admit that I get massively frustrated when people post the same questions over and over and don't seem to take on board what you're saying, but honestly, in this case, I can't blame her for doing it.
  • Options
    I understand fully where you are coming from. I dont think I worded what I meant very well. I meant that if lyric keeps putting off going to the doctors, and over time if she is pregnant, the matter will become even more difficult for her as the potential is there for a child to develop. I'm 16 and have never been in her shoes. I can only imagine how frightened she must be. But I believe that the longer she holds of, the harder the situation may become.
  • Options
    I understand fully where you are coming from. I dont think I worded what I meant very well. I meant that if lyric keeps putting off going to the doctors, and over time if she is pregnant, the matter will become even more difficult for her as the potential is there for a child to develop. I'm 16 and have never been in her shoes. I can only imagine how frightened she must be. But I believe that the longer she holds of, the harder the situation may become.
    Oh of course, I'm not denying that. But denial is a wonderful thing and it is clearly at work quite strongly here.
  • Options
    I'm not frustrated with her for repeating her worries over and over, and I totally understand that she's in denial about what's going on and needs some help getting over that.

I do think though that while it's good to be kind and tolerant and totally unchallenging, it's also important to impress upon lyric just how serious the situation is and how time is of the essence, and while she obviously needs support and guidance, she also needs people to be firm and clear in their insistence that she needs to address this situation right away. I've been through all this stuff - I was pregnant with an unwanted baby at the age of 17, caused as in this case by my own stupidity - not using contraception with absolutely no good reason not to. So I know that time is of the essence, because if she ends up deciding not to go through with the pregnancy, she'll need to act quickly. Abortions are more easily procured and less painful and traumatic to go through the earlier you have them. As it was, once I went to see a doctor, I still had to wait five weeks for my abortion, which was really not fun, feeling the baby growing inside me and feeling my body changing and knowing what I was going to do.

So while I do think we should be encouraging and supportive of lyric, I think she also needs some firm and stern advice about not just ignoring this. I think if people are frustrated with her it's only because we're aware of how serious the situation is, and are hoping to make her realise this too.
  • Options
    In real life, stern advice from teachers, doctors, friends etc rarely has the desired affect. The same goes for online. By all means be clear and to the point, but stern? I'm sorry but I won't be swayed on that one. Stern is for toddlers who need to be put on the naughty step or for people who are taking the piss out of you. Not for people who are looking for advice. :)

Stern: "Hard, harsh, or severe in manner or character." :no:
This discussion has been closed.